BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

1 hour ago, Hoochie Bloochie Mama said:

Hanley = best defender on the pitch

Gilmour = best midfielder on the pitch

Adams = best striker on the pitch

That's a massively overrated England team. 

Pipe down. Still couldn't beat a misfiring England team and will be knocked out in the group stages again. 

58 minutes ago, riverholmes said:

England have the players to do well. A major issue is that they're playing without wingers or a No.10. At least one of the forward 3 must provide width. And, at least one player must operate centrally and look for space between opponent's defence and midfield, to support Kane.

As much as I dislike the fad of 4-3-3, as it's played, as Italy showed, if the forwards provide width, you can get overlaps and crosses.

Harry Kane is starved of space and crosses - not by the opposition, but by the way the team plays.

When neither CM can get their foot on the ball and pick a pass it doesn't matter who's playing upfront. 

Hell when Foden dropped back into CM briefly we looked far more dangerous - he could play on the half turn, beat a man and pick a teammate out in a forward position. Phillips and Rice are all backwards and sideways. It's like watching Evans and Smallwood. 

2 minutes ago, Darrenbot said:

If you have to play 2 holding midfielders because you think the defence can't handle Scotlands attack on their own then you have no chance against a good team.

I think basically the thinking would be " 1 point gets us through, why take off a defensive mid and endanger that"

We were prioritising not losing over winning, as were Scotland.

As said above I don't really think formations were the issue, but we could have gone 343 or 352 to get some proper width. But then in those formations you lose an attacker for an extra defender which is a tough tradeoff....

What's obvious is the likes of France and Italy have a really clear idea who their best XI is. Southgate is a long long way away from knowing his. Even Kane, the one person you would say is absolute certainty is now looking a bit shaky.

Don’t give me the not losing over winning excuse

We were terrible from the off 

the best way to not lose is to win

Southgate will cost us this tournament. We can win this. We don’t have the best squad but we have a good squad. A good manager can win this tournament with this squad. He will cost us. 

4 hours ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

Southgate will cost us this tournament. We can win this. We don’t have the best squad but we have a good squad. A good manager can win this tournament with this squad. He will cost us. 

Southgate has absolutely no idea what he is doing. Not only does he not know his starting line up, but he also has no idea or urgency of how or what changes to make mid game to swing things in our favour. 

He struck lucky in the world cup with a very easy run and low expectations going into it. Even then when we were being passed off the park in the semi final to Croatia he left Henderson on his own in the middle chasing the shadows of modric and co for far too long.

Man is tactically horrendous and loyal to a fault to misfiring players.

But he’s great at the 2021 version of corporate waffle, so he’ll keep his job regardless. Quintessential FA blazer but with a modern twist.

Must be a job in the FA’s D & I department he can be moved into and an actual football manager can take over the team?

I’ve defended Southgate to the hilt the past few years, most probably to try and justify to myself why I spend so much money travelling the world watching England, but last night was a fucking disgrace.

As has been said, he prioritised not being the bloke who lost to Scotland in the Euros at Wembley, over beating them. A piss poor indicator of what he truly thinks is possible for this group.

Anyone know what Brendan Rodgers is doing this next few weeks?

Don’t know if I saw it on here or elsewhere but I recall a picture of a scooby doo unmasking of a villain where a Southgate superimposed head is on one pic, then had a mask removed to reveal Mowbray in another. After yesterday that’s more apt than ever 

Edited by matt83

Insipid, no intensity and no discernable game plan. Hanley probably had tougher games last season in the Championship than he did last night. There was no high pressing from England as we allowed Scotland to have long periods of possession. 

The reality is we are a long way behind the likes of France, Italy and Spain and I believe a big part of that is the lack of quality coaching particularly at the top level. In the PL there are far more foreign managers than English ones. When was the last time an English coach/manager was appointed to a top job abroad?

For me though the real problem is the FA and the time warp they are still stuck in. Lots of committees staffed by self serving people who care more about the expenses and free tickets they get rather than the betterment of the game. I read recently that it is the only national football authority that plays second fiddle to it's number one league.

Never seen a more pedestrian, ponderous performance in years. 65% possession at one point---all of it backwards and sideways in our own half.

An absolute bore-fest. Apart from the header against the post, did we have a single shot on goal?

You could have sworn Mowbray was in charge.

In domestic football with a lot of fans you’ll hear can’t sack a manager early in the season, then can’t sack him around the Xmas schedule and then can’t sack him during the run in. For me there’s never a bad time to sack a bad manager. Whether it’s Mowbray getting the sack 2 games into next season or Southgate 2 games into a tournament. 

They kept that other Yes Man on after getting knocked out of the 2014 World Cup in the group stage… leading to another debacle at the 2016 Euros.

Southgate is even more deeply ensconced in the FA than Woy, so no chance he’s going anywhere with Qatar less than 18 months away.

Edited by Mattyblue

It’s always been the same with the FA. A yes man who can talk the talk and doesn’t upset the men in the ivory tower is the prerequisite for the position. It will never change in my opinion, as the writing has been on the wall since Brian Clough was ignored when he was patently the best manager for the England job. 

16 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

They kept that other Yes Man on after getting knocked out of the 2014 World Cup in the group stage… leading to another debacle at the 2016 Euros.

Southgate is even more deeply ensconced in the FA than Woy, so no chance he’s going anywhere with Qatar less than 18 months away.

You’re probably right. The thought of it  though 🤢. All my teams have a common problem. Rovers - moggasurus, England footy - Southgate, England cricket - Silverwood, lancs - chapple. A quartet of yes men, job for the boys all with incompetent suits behind the scenes swag/venkys, the fa, ecb, Paul Allott. 

Are Blackburn hawks still going!!! Time to dust up on ice hockey maybe 

Edited by matt83

9 hours ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

Don’t give me the not losing over winning excuse

We were terrible from the off 

the best way to not lose is to win

I don't really see why we should think we should win it with these players. We have a small chance as do a lot of teams with similar quality squads. It's unrealistic to think we should win.

We could with a fair wind and a bit of luck but the same is true of 8-9 sides.

The only team that should think it should win it is France.

All that said obviously the performance needs to be a lot better than last night.

1 hour ago, 47er said:

Never seen a more pedestrian, ponderous performance in years. 65% possession at one point---all of it backwards and sideways in our own half.

An absolute bore-fest. Apart from the header against the post, did we have a single shot on goal?

You could have sworn Mowbray was in charge.

One .... at home to Scotland .....

I can't actually recall it at all.

I like Southgate as a person, but this England side is a reflection of his personality - boring.

Two games in and there is so much wrong with this England side it’s untrue. Basically there’s no invention, no heart, no belief.

Fell asleep on the settee 10 mins into the game (after a hard week at work) and literally didn't miss a thing. 

Never expected much from England going into the tournament and expect even less now, our national team has been a pathetic 💩 show since 98 ! i actually thought we looked a quality team at france 98 if it wasn't for Beckhams needles kick out, been downhill ever since though. 

Not one world class player in our squad(or even close) mostly just decent English prem players at best. 

And a turnip for a manager. 

Edited by Armchair supporter supremo

• J*B unpinned this topic