40 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

How would you line up for the Czech game please? 

my team

Pickford

Tripper Stones Maguire Shaw

Henderson Rice

Sancho      Mount        Grealish 

Kane

Actually not too far from this Chaddy. Though I'm not a fan of the 4231. Given Hendersons lack of match fitness I'm not sure how much he can be relied on to be much more progressive than Phillip's. Bellingham although young has been trusted in the biggest games for Dortmund and always looks the biz when he plays for England. So I'd be tempted to throw him in.

I would be more comfortable with a 433. I would like to Mount as the most attacking of that 3. 

My real preference would be playing 3 at the back with wing backs of Tripper and Chilwelll bombing all the way forwards. But it feels fairly safe to assume this isn't a formation we have been practising so that would pose a major risk now. 

So similar to yourself but I want to see less up top and more dominance and progression from the middle. Though Sancho is a funny one. He becomes better with every minute he doesn't play. I've followed Dortmund a lot. He's a wonderful player but doesn't seem to do it for England. In saying that he definitely deserves a shot and can be aggrieved at his complete lack of minutes so far. 

4 minutes ago, ben_the_beast said:

Actually not too far from this Chaddy. Though I'm not a fan of the 4231. Given Hendersons lack of match fitness I'm not sure how much he can be relied on to be much more progressive than Phillip's. Bellingham although young has been trusted in the biggest games for Dortmund and always looks the biz when he plays for England. So I'd be tempted to throw him in.

I would be more comfortable with a 433. I would like to Mount as the most attacking of that 3. 

My real preference would be playing 3 at the back with wing backs of Tripper and Chilwelll bombing all the way forwards. But it feels fairly safe to assume this isn't a formation we have been practising so that would pose a major risk now. 

So similar to yourself but I want to see less up top and more dominance and progression from the middle. Though Sancho is a funny one. He becomes better with every minute he doesn't play. I've followed Dortmund a lot. He's a wonderful player but doesn't seem to do it for England. In saying that he definitely deserves a shot and can be aggrieved at his complete lack of minutes so far. 

He seems scared when he plays for England 

3 hours ago, simongarnerisgod said:

there could be a mushroom cloud on the horizon and micah richards would laugh be laughing 🙂 at it

This made me laugh a lot! Very true. 

I quite like him to be honest, he doesn't offer much analysis but he does give a real insight into what its like to be a player and just seems like a good guy. Similar to Peter Crouch on his podcast.

2 hours ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Weird VAR decision in the Spain game tonight for their goal. The camera angle for TV wasn't level with play and taking that into account I thought the scorer looked well offside.

The lines person flagged instantly but VAR quickly reversed it.

I think they said on an earlier game that FIFA have changed the rules for offside again just before the tournament, saying the line off offside does not include arms I think or something like that. So that could be the reason.

3 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

Southgate's job is safe and I think right so. He has been good England manager and he achieved England best result in an Euro finals or World Cup since Euro 96 under Venables or World Cup under Bobby Robson. For me, He is right manager for the England manager job cos of experience as manager at International level and has a player. We have wasted millions on 2 Foreign managers who couldn;t do much in the world cup or euros. Stick with Southgate

Like Rio Ferdinard has just said that Phillips didn't go forward and sit along Rice which was wrong plus full backs never got forward. I would have like to Herderson come on. Agree on bring on DCL and why not bring on Sancho? 

my team

Pickford

Henderson Rice

Kane

My general impression is 433 / 4231 is struggling at this tournament against back threes (similar to Rovers last season in that regard) - France, Portugal, Spain have all suffered. Italy and Germany are playing well with 343. And England got to the semis at the world cup with 352 under Southgate so it's hardly new to us.

I'd change up, with the option to go back to a 433 if it's a mess. 

Pickford

Stones    Rice    Mings

Trippier    Mount    Phillips   Shaw

Stirling     Kane   Grealish

We have played three at the back frequently under Southgate, and I'm pretty sure we would do so again against a top team so we may as well just do it against the Czechs now and try to get used to it.

It's very annoying we didn't sort out our best formation and tactics months ago. We had the games, and while we've had injuries other players could stand in. That we've ended up so confused and trying to figure things out on the hoof is very self inflicted.

But whatever the formation and personnel, what is absolutely vital is we go in high tempo both in terms of passing quickly and pressing the ball.

10 hours ago, Silas said:

How does Murphy not think that's a pen.

He's stamped on his ankle. 

What does it matter if the ball has gone. You get off the ball penalties all the time. 

I chuckled when Murphy kept saying "he was a little bit late".

That's pretty much what made it a penalty.

He has to be the worst summariser on the merry-go-round. He says things like 'in the game we call that xXxX' in an attempt to try and impress us. Give me Savage any day.

8 hours ago, joey_big_nose said:

I'd change up, with the option to go back to a 433 if it's a mess. 

Pickford

Stones    Rice    Mings

Trippier    Mount    Phillips   Shaw

Stirling     Kane   Grealish

We have played three at the back frequently under Southgate, and I'm pretty sure we would do so again against a top team so we may as well just do it against the Czechs now and try to get used to it.

It's very annoying we didn't sort out our best formation and tactics months ago. We had the games, and while we've had injuries other players could stand in. That we've ended up so confused and trying to figure things out on the hoof is very self inflicted.

But whatever the formation and personnel, what is absolutely vital is we go in high tempo both in terms of passing quickly and pressing the ball.

We ABSOLUTELY should have been playing this formation from the start. The width the German full backs offered destroyed Portugal yesterday and that is the strongest area of our team. Southgate is making me angry with his selections. I'd switch a couple of the personal but with the exact same formation you've posted.

Pickford

Walker   Stones    Mings

Trippier     Mount     Rice    Chilwell

Sancho          Grealish

Kane

I know some will disagree but that is it. It's what we should be playing, absolutely no question in my mind. If Maguire is back fit then he'd be coming in for Mings. He's excelled in the position before. Walker has played right cente back before and his pace on recovery would be vital. And there is actually a lot of experience in that back 3. Trippier and Chilwell are two of the best crossers in the game. It's a throwback to old school wingers. I think people are forgetting the goals and how much of a threat Chilwell was for Chelsea. 

Central 2 of Rice and Mount can always be switched. Rice would have to move it quicker. But he'd also have more options with the full backs. Mount to link the whole team. If we're getting bullied then Bellingham to come on as he impresses me every time with his tackling and drive. 

I've tweaked it slightly placing Grealish and Sancho slightly narrower. I deliberated on Sancho but he deserves his shot. As does Grealish from the start. They are playing as two 10's/inside forwards. You can see it now. Them dribbling and holding the ball, defenders being drawn in and releasing it to excellent full backs on the overlap. As poor as Kane has been, give him that service and he will score. 

It's simple stuff. I read a good article on The Athletic which was looking at why our full backs are seemingly being told to stay deep and how much it is costing us. All I can think of is Southgate has thought that if you keep it tight you can grind out 1-0 wins to a tournament win.

As more time passes since Scotland. The more awful it looks to me. The tactics were wrong and the man in the dugout didn't change it. I posted yesterday that a switch to this formation poses a risk. I've changed my mind. What we are doing isn't working. And the game against the Czechs is the only game where we can reasonably look at switching it. Its attacking, its adventurous and what's more it's easy to switch to a defensive set up with few personel changes. Why we've not been playing it all along I've no idea.

I look forward to major tournaments more than anything else in the world. And southgate's lack of a plan is hurting us and really frustrating me.

*I've added the German lineup from yesterday as an additional visualisation

Screenshot_20210620-085649_FotMob Pro.jpg

Edited by ben_the_beast

I don't understand the clamour for a back 3 tbh. Everytime england have played it we've been even slower moving the ball forward than we are now. You are in essence just removing one attacking talent from your line up to have another man behind the ball. 

The full backs not getting forward isn't a problem of a back 4 its southgate being cautious. 

We need more width thats we should bring sancho in on the right wing and release whoever is playing left back to get forward and hug the touchline.

I'd also swap one of rice or Phillips for bellingham.

2 hours ago, ben_the_beast said:

We ABSOLUTELY should have been playing this formation from the start. The width the German full backs offered destroyed Portugal yesterday and that is the strongest area of our team. Southgate is making me angry with his selections. I'd switch a couple of the personal but with the exact same formation you've posted.

Pickford

Walker   Stones    Mings

Trippier     Mount     Rice    Chilwell

Sancho          Grealish

Kane

I know some will disagree but that is it. It's what we should be playing, absolutely no question in my mind. If Maguire is back fit then he'd be coming in for Mings. He's excelled in the position before. Walker has played right cente back before and his pace on recovery would be vital. And there is actually a lot of experience in that back 3. Trippier and Chilwell are two of the best crossers in the game. It's a throwback to old school wingers. I think people are forgetting the goals and how much of a threat Chilwell was for Chelsea. 

Central 2 of Rice and Mount can always be switched. Rice would have to move it quicker. But he'd also have more options with the full backs. Mount to link the whole team. If we're getting bullied then Bellingham to come on as he impresses me every time with his tackling and drive. 

I've tweaked it slightly placing Grealish and Sancho slightly narrower. I deliberated on Sancho but he deserves his shot. As does Grealish from the start. They are playing as two 10's/inside forwards. You can see it now. Them dribbling and holding the ball, defenders being drawn in and releasing it to excellent full backs on the overlap. As poor as Kane has been, give him that service and he will score. 

It's simple stuff. I read a good article on The Athletic which was looking at why our full backs are seemingly being told to stay deep and how much it is costing us. All I can think of is Southgate has thought that if you keep it tight you can grind out 1-0 wins to a tournament win.

As more time passes since Scotland. The more awful it looks to me. The tactics were wrong and the man in the dugout didn't change it. I posted yesterday that a switch to this formation poses a risk. I've changed my mind. What we are doing isn't working. And the game against the Czechs is the only game where we can reasonably look at switching it. Its attacking, its adventurous and what's more it's easy to switch to a defensive set up with few personel changes. Why we've not been playing it all along I've no idea.

I look forward to major tournaments more than anything else in the world. And southgate's lack of a plan is hurting us and really frustrating me.

*I've added the German lineup from yesterday as an additional visualisation

Screenshot_20210620-085649_FotMob Pro.jpg

Agree with you, but I get it's difficult for the manager. Southgate was getting a lot of criticism playing 343 earlier in qualifying. He can't win really. But that's the same for any manager, particularly international ones.

But basically if I was him I would be looking at what has happened to England against Scotland, France Vs Hungary, Spain Poland, Germany Portugal and think this is a tournament that three at the back is going to do well.

Why? I agree it's overlap in wide areas. Italy and Germany have absolutely tormented teams with it.

I reckon Southgate will switch.

Interesting parallel - didn't England at Italia 90 look terrible till the went 352?

Edit - also Chelsea beat a better 433 Man City side with 343 in the CL final....

Edited by joey_big_nose

5 hours ago, arbitro said:

I chuckled when Murphy kept saying "he was a little bit late".

That's pretty much what made it a penalty.

He has to be the worst summariser on the merry-go-round. He says things like 'in the game we call that xXxX' in an attempt to try and impress us. Give me Savage any day.

E8E8A0B8-0783-40A4-8D42-AB82571A6FD9.png

17 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

Southgate's job is safe and I think right so. He has been good England manager and he achieved England best result in an Euro finals or World Cup since Euro 96 under Venables or World Cup under Bobby Robson. For me, He is right manager for the England manager job cos of experience as manager at International level and has a player. We have wasted millions on 2 Foreign managers who couldn;t do much in the world cup or euros. Stick with Southgate

Like Rio Ferdinard has just said that Phillips didn't go forward and sit along Rice which was wrong plus full backs never got forward. I would have like to Herderson come on. Agree on bring on DCL and why not bring on Sancho? 

my team

Pickford

Henderson Rice

Kane

If we crash out say in the last 16, his future shouldnt be guaranteed regardless. His playing career is also irrelevant, otherwise the next manager shortlist will be between Alan Shearer, Stuart Pearce and Paul Ince. We have looked drab. We got so lucky with the draw at the World Cup but didnt beat anyonr half decent.

I would make a number of changes on Tuesday night. Mount is obviously a good player but certainly not to the point whereby his selection seems guaranteed and the other 2 attacking spots are the ones up for grabs. I dont really think that we have the answer to our midfield issues within the squad, its an obvious weakness.

Pickford

Walker Stones Maguire Chilwell

Bellingham Henderson

Foden Grealish Sancho

Kane

The Germany Portugal game last night was absolutely great entertainment. Germany have impressed me in both games and I think were perhaps underestimated going into the tournament.

The tournament has been fairly entertaining lately and the 2 England games have been big exceptions to that.

37 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

If we crash out say in the last 16, his future shouldnt be guaranteed regardless. His playing career is also irrelevant, otherwise the next manager shortlist will be between Alan Shearer, Stuart Pearce and Paul Ince. We have looked drab. We got so lucky with the draw at the World Cup but didnt beat anyonr half decent.

I would make a number of changes on Tuesday night. Mount is obviously a good player but certainly not to the point whereby his selection seems guaranteed and the other 2 attacking spots are the ones up for grabs. I dont really think that we have the answer to our midfield issues within the squad, its an obvious weakness.

Pickford

Walker Stones Maguire Chilwell

Bellingham Henderson

Foden Grealish Sancho

Kane

Why pick Walker? Has Foden been any better than Mount in the last 2 games? Sancho wide left, isn't he right winger by trade? 

On Southgate, I have made my feelings on him perfectly clear and why he has the right experience as coach in tournament whether as England manager or under 21 manager. Plus experience of that as a player will help him. 

The World Cup draw wasn't lucky at all but of course you will say that cos you don't want to give Southgate and the team any credit do you? 

Just now, chaddyrovers said:

On Southgate, I have made my feelings on him perfectly clear and why he has the right experience as coach in tournament whether as England manager or under 21 manager. Plus experience of that as a player will help him.

You said the same about Mowbray repeatedly. Until you didn't. 

Just now, chaddyrovers said:

Why pick Walker? Has Foden been any better than Mount in the last 2 games? Sancho wide left, isn't he right winger by trade? 

The World Cup draw wasn't lucky at all but of course you will say that cos you don't want to give Southgate and the team any credit do you? 

I did give them credit, you obviously have to beat teams like Tunisia, Panama and Sweden (plus Colombia on penalties) and we did but factually, the route we took was very favourable. We had our easy 2 group games first and that meant that nothing was riding on the first time that we met a big team, where we then went on to lose. Our 2 subsequent knockout rounds were again against average opposition, factually we avoided all of the major nations which was a huge advantage. Then we faced Croatia in the semi final (themselves a good team but not a France/Belgium etc) and we lost, before losing to Belgium in the 3rd place play off. The tournament was a success but it was helped by an easy draw.

Equally, I dont get why you seemingly dont factor results into your decision as to whether the manager should remain. Playing career or managing kids is irrelevant, his time as an actual manager was a failure and he was lucky to fall into the job but of course merited another tournament after 2018. Where we finish this time should be decisive in whether he remains.

Right back is any of 3, James didnt really take his chance and Walker is obviously an important player at the champions. Mount is a good player but I am unsure how he seems to be considered on his own above the likes of Foden, Sancho, Rashford, Grealish etc as a sure pick. Both Foden and Mount are talented players but neither could really argue if they are dropped. I think Foden is a better player hence why I picked him, he showed a glimpse of his magic in the first game. Equally, maybe a complete swap to bring Rashford, Grealish and Sancho in would make sense with Foden, Mount and Sterling all failing to provide the spark thus far.

7 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

As you were one of the last people on here to see how bad a manager Mowbray was i'll take your opinion on Southgate with a pinch of salt and say you aren't the best on manager views.

16 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

you obviously have to beat teams like Tunisia, Panama and Sweden (plus Colombia on penalties) and we did but factually, the route we took was very favourable.

Do we make the draw for ourselves? You are just looking to excuses imo

17 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Equally, I dont get why you seemingly dont factor results into your decision as to whether the manager should remain. Playing career or managing kids is irrelevant, his time as an actual manager was a failure and he was lucky to fall into the job but of course merited another tournament after 2018.

I did when I said Tournament experience which in the World Cup 2018 we got to the semi-finals and I think we will do well in this tournament despite people negative comments. I would say that his experience as a player in International tournament and his experience as Under 21's manager is good and stand him in good stead as he knows it from both side of the game. 

Allardyce balls it up for himself by doing what he did. He only as himself to blame no-one else. 

Right back is any of 3, James didnt really take his chance and Walker is obviously an important player at the champions.

Why not Tripper given his form and the fact he was an important player for his club side that won La Liga? 

Mount is a good player but I am unsure how he seems to be considered on his own above the likes of Foden, Sancho, Rashford, Grealish etc as a sure pick. Both Foden and Mount are talented players but neither could really argue if they are dropped. I think Foden is a better player hence why I picked him, he showed a glimpse of his magic in the first game. Equally, maybe a complete swap to bring Rashford, Grealish and Sancho in would make sense with Foden, Mount and Sterling all failing to provide the spark thus far.

Mount and Foden are both quality players and will be key players for the team going forward. Don't want to drop either but given Sancho's pace and the form he shown in  Germany over the past 3 seasons you need to include him on the right for me. Mount's movement in the number 10 role was good against Croatia and him and Grealish on the left could interchange position and look to use their skill and tricky to unlock the Czech's defence. 

32 minutes ago, Darrenbot said:

As you were one of the last people on here to see how bad a manager Mowbray was i'll take your opinion on Southgate with a pinch of salt and say you aren't the best on manager views.

Why come on the forum to throw mud and cheap shots on posters for different opinions. Clearly you are interested in people who agree with you so why come on here?

• J*B unpinned this topic