• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If this is how football has “evolved” and this is the game now as we are often told, I give up. I’d much rather watch poor quality uploaded vhs footage of games on YouTube of when you could actua

Paul Gascoigne: “What do you call a Scotsman in the second round of a World Cup?” 🤔 “A referee.” 😂

Wow. I don't know if you watched it live. But it was genuinely shocking.  I'm aware terrible things happen in the world on a daily basis. But to show such little remorse to any human being shows such

Posted Images

1 minute ago, Blue blood said:

First half showed why there is room for optimism. A very positive performance if that phrase is allowed with lots of creativity and energy. Just what you want to see.

Second half was an insipid reality check that ensured no one gets overexcited. We can be rather drab and not very good too. 

A good team will stuff us, absolutely stuff us. Frustrating thing is though we could put up a good fight and have a chance of winning if we played to our potential. Problem is we are more often like the second half England than the first. 

When we did move the ball with pace we looked a decent side. Trouble is we soon revert to type. Second half we ended up with Henderson, Phillips and Bellingham in midfield. Not a play maker in sight.

The keeper did ok, Walker was good, Stones and McGuire ok, Shaw, not so good - all the play from Czecho came down his side. Rice and Phillips, peripheral. Grealish, a breath of fresh air. The new lad on the right, very bright first half but vanished second half. Kane, looked like he was running in treacle. Sterling, ok but kept running off side and up blind alleys. The subs hardly figured. 
I would have took Kane off towards the end and put the big lad from Everton on up front.

35 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

When we did move the ball with pace we looked a decent side. Trouble is we soon revert to type. Second half we ended up with Henderson, Phillips and Bellingham in midfield. Not a play maker in sight.

The keeper did ok, Walker was good, Stones and McGuire ok, Shaw, not so good - all the play from Czecho came down his side. Rice and Phillips, peripheral. Grealish, a breath of fresh air. The new lad on the right, very bright first half but vanished second half. Kane, looked like he was running in treacle. Sterling, ok but kept running off side and up blind alleys. The subs hardly figured. 
I would have took Kane off towards the end and put the big lad from Everton on up front.

We will be out of the competition fairly soon. Average International side with a mediocre Manager who did diddly squat in his previous Management jobs

Saka and Grealish played very well today. Our goal was good and Sterling scores again. 2 goals in 3 games.

7 points and top of the group with 3 clean sheets. Cant expect much more than that. 

Next game will be tough but nothing to fear or worry about tho. We are more than capable of beating them. 

Am I the only one who thinks Grealish is never going to be a regular starter? In fact, I reckon he’ll drift out of the squad. 

modern football is about playing your pass early so that you avoid the tackle and don’t risk losing possession. Grealish is completely the opposite. His game is about inviting the tackle - which goes against what all the other players and manager are trying to avoid.

8 minutes ago, Blue blood said:

First half showed why there is room for optimism. A very positive performance if that phrase is allowed with lots of creativity and energy. Just what you want to see.

Second half was an insipid reality check that ensured no one gets overexcited. We can be rather drab and not very good too. 

A good team will stuff us, absolutely stuff us. Frustrating thing is though we could put up a good fight and have a chance of winning if we played to our potential. Problem is we are more often like the second half England than the first. 

Can't really agree with that to be honest, we're way too defensively compact.

When we get beat it will be by a goal or two.

7 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

How you possibly came to the conclusion that I came to that is beyond me. As we know though, the rules from above have been totally bonkers and consistently inconsistent since the lockdown began so it is little surprise that there are more baffling inconsistencies, although that is for another debate. Chilwell and Mount should be disciplined for chatting to Gilmour for 20 minutes in the tunnel as reported though, goes against the guidelines even if they are bonkers.

What Conclusion? That Public Health England made the decision, cos that what was being reported on Sky Sports News this afternoon. 

The rules are simple enough to follow. 

How has Gilmour managed to get the virus in the first place the bigger question?

2 hours ago, Blue blood said:

I mostly agree with this. The first half was excellent, the second boring. 

The Czech's didn't look interested in trying to salvage anything from the game, and England were quite happy to sit on their lead which led to the attrition.

England won the group, a second round game at Wembley awaits. 

They won't get stuffed. Aside from a couple of moments when Shaw was isolated they haven't been troubled in 3 games. They are organised at the back.

A large contingent of group F (Hungary aside) are very familiar to the England team. They either play with them or against them regularly. I think that this familiarity will help.

As soon as we conceed a goal I think we're done for. There's so little fluidity in this side we won't suddenly be able to turn it on. 

Southgate has ruined everything. Last night was an improvement of sorts. Saka and Grealish made a difference. Saka ran with it and got us into the final third. Grealish committed men and got his assist. 

The Czechs were very poor. I'm not sure what it is they came to do. The positive is we have been defensively solid. How much is another question as we have played 3 teams set up to defend and do little else. 

Watching us is atrocious. Southgate and has tactics has certainly killed any feel good momentum which having our games at home could have generated. He's the kinda bloke who eats cornflakes for breakfast every day since he 12 and cuts his sandwiches in a very particular way. A wild night might consist of feeling woozy after eating a Baileys creme brulee. You get my drift. The man is not a creator. He's a safety inspector. He'd put a helmet on if he had to retrieve a pencil from under his desk. The ultimate yes man who's pretty tactically inept. I don't know who but imagine a Klopp like character leading England. The stuff of dreams.

I digress. We're insipid. Poor tactically. And just hoping that we don't lose. I'm finding it hard to get excited about any aspect of this tournament. We'll be out in the next round anyway and Gareth should be clearing his perfectly sharpened pencils from his perfectly organised desk.

Edit: Only hope I do have is we'll be better against a team that attacks us and hit them on the counter. Some of our players up top might suit this.

Edited by ben_the_beast
33 minutes ago, ben_the_beast said:

Watching us is atrocious. Southgate and has tactics has certainly killed any feel good momentum which having our games at home could have generated. He's the kinda bloke who eats cornflakes for breakfast every day since he 12 and cuts his sandwiches in a very particular way. A wild night might consist of feeling woozy after eating a Baileys creme brulee. You get my drift. The man is not a creator. He's a safety inspector. He'd put a helmet on if he had to retrieve a pencil from under his desk. The ultimate yes man who's pretty tactically inept. I don't know who but imagine a Klopp like character leading England. The stuff of dreams.

🤣. He so is that guy.

On the plus side 1 more game left for him. Sad to have wasted a tournament with all this young attacking talent who in truth probably aren’t quite ready yet but with the World Cup next year this fa blazer just cannot have another swing at it.

My hopes for rovers and England now are no more managers who have been at Middlesbrough. 

36 minutes ago, ben_the_beast said:

As soon as we conceed a goal I think we're done for. There's so little fluidity in this side we won't suddenly be able to turn it on. 

Southgate has ruined everything. Last night was an improvement of sorts. Saka and Grealish made a difference. Saka ran with it and got us into the final third. Grealish committed men and got his assist. 

The Czechs were very poor. I'm not sure what it is they came to do. The positive is we have been defensively solid. How much is another question as we have played 3 teams set up to defend and do little else. 

I digress. We're insipid. Poor tactically. And just hoping that we don't lose. I'm finding it hard to get excited about any aspect of this tournament. We'll be out in the next round anyway and Gareth should be clearing his perfectly sharpened pencils from his perfectly organised desk.

Edit: Only hope I do have is we'll be better against a team that attacks us and hit them on the counter. Some of our players up top might suit this.

That second paragraph is brilliant my friend and so succinct.

I looked at the newspaper headlines this morning and wondered if it was me who lived in a parallel universe where 'Lions' didn't 'roar into the last 16' but pussycats crept in by the cat flap. And then I came on here and found sanity. Chaddy asks what more we want. I want goals from my team. When we're one up, I want 2 and 3 and 4, like the French, Germans, Danes, Portuguese and even the Italians, known for loving to defend, are getting. I want a front foot performance. It's a tournament so I want excitement. I can just about accept the wishy-washy performances so far if we can step up when we need to and get better, but I can't see it myself. 

9 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Can't argue with any of that. Sterling scored and could have a second which gives him a fair bit of leeway but the offsides didn't half annoy me. It's simple stuff that should be easy to avoid doing. It's careless. 

Shaw did worry me a bit too. Better going forwards than defensively but that's sadly the way these days with full backs. 

Agree Kane should have gone off. I think he was hoping for a goal for Kane to boost his confidence but we really didn't look like scoring in the second half so that was a mistake. Added in Kane's iffy form and the chance to see what someone else could do up there was a missed one. 

It'll be interesting to see what we'll be like if we go a goal down and have to chase a game. At the moment we've been set up to not lose and whilst it's not pretty it's got the job done. If we go a goal down maybe the handbrake will come off and we'll see the exciting England we've been waiting for. Whoever starts for us we'll have 3 or 4 exciting players ready to come on who can all change a game. 

29 minutes ago, Blue blood said:

Can't argue with any of that. Sterling scored and could have a second which gives him a fair bit of leeway but the offsides didn't half annoy me. It's simple stuff that should be easy to avoid doing. It's careless. 

Shaw did worry me a bit too. Better going forwards than defensively but that's sadly the way these days with full backs. 

Agree Kane should have gone off. I think he was hoping for a goal for Kane to boost his confidence but we really didn't look like scoring in the second half so that was a mistake. Added in Kane's iffy form and the chance to see what someone else could do up there was a missed one. 

Yes, I also thought Calvert-Lewin should get some minutes. He's our plan B, is full of running and pressing, quality in the air. He's bound to make an appearance when we are chasing a game. It's a shame he's yet to get his boots dirty.

Also hes sort of person you want on for the last half hour to inject some energy and raise the tempo which we sorely needed.

Rashford is more of the same as we have and not really looked that effective for a long time for England.

Kane looks dead on his feet... Agree he's pretty much undroppable though.