BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

I just pray we take advantage tomorrow of this incredible opportunity.  We've seen it all before talk talk talk. Always ends up the same way. I just hope they don't bottle it. If we go 1 up dont sit back.  Im sick of hoping and then being let down 

7 minutes ago, roverandout said:

Can't read the article. I have no problem with Foden coming back in if that is what it is predicting.

25 minutes ago, roverandout said:

I just pray we take advantage tomorrow of this incredible opportunity.  We've seen it all before talk talk talk. Always ends up the same way. I just hope they don't bottle it. If we go 1 up dont sit back.  Im sick of hoping and then being let down 

I know I should be getting excited about the way the cards appear to be falling in our favour but I simply can't muster any enthusiasm given that Southgate's in charge. I just think he'll find a way to overthink and overcomplicate it and lose at some point.

As I've said all along, would be delighted to be proved wrong.

1 minute ago, RevidgeBlue said:

I know I should be getting excited about the way the cards appear to be falling in our favour but I simply can't muster any enthusiasm given that Southgate's in charge. I just think he'll find a way to overthink and overcomplicate it and lose at some point.

As I've said all along, would be delighted to be proved wrong.

Couldn't have put it better myself, " Revidge Blue " !

• Backroom
Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Can't read the article. I have no problem with Foden coming back in if that is what it is predicting.

Pickford

Walker Maguire Stones

Tripper Rice Phillips Shaw

Foden/Saka Kane Sterling 

Edit: That's the "leaked" prediction. 

Edited by Silas

Just now, Silas said:

Pickford

Walker Maguire Stones

Tripper Rice Phillips Shaw

Foden/Saka Kane Sterling 

Pretty conservative, negative even, but It was pretty much what everyone was expecting I'd say.

If it comes off he's a tactical genius, if it doesn't he'll deserve all the stick he'll undoubtedly get. 

• Backroom
10 minutes ago, roverandout said:

He worries too much about the opponents.  Every time.  Play to our fecking strengths. Attack their weakness 

Both of those things mean we should go defensive, surely?

Deprive Germany of the chance to counterattack, make them come at us, and hit them with Sterling's pace or hope to get a set piece goal.

• Backroom
7 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

If it comes off he's a tactical genius, if it doesn't he'll deserve all the stick he'll undoubtedly get. 

The one game I'm not overly fussed about being negative is the Germans. Makes sense to be cautious. 

But it's never the starting lineup that concerns me, it's his lack of urgency to change it up if not working. 

For example, if we started that lineup with Saka, and ended up 1-0 down at HT, I'd probably make a double substitution at HT, maybe Foden + Grealish. 

I'd want a 3rd sub on by 60 mins.....prob Calvert-Lewin for Kane (if his poor form continued.)

But Gareth wouldn't. He'd labour on doing the same old shit, maybe 1 sub by about the 70th min, and then chuck the rest on later in desperation. 

Which is probably why I'd have to agree with Roverandout below.

2 minutes ago, roverandout said:

He worries too much about the opponents.  Every time.  Play to our fecking strengths. Attack their weakness 

Because of my total lack of faith in GS making swift and substantial subs at the right times, the best chance we've got of winning would be to go all guns blazing from the off.

A cannier manager could really mix it up with this squad depending on the opponent. Just don't think he's got it in him. 

So we might as well of chucked all the danger men on and really took it to them. Gone down swinging if that were to be. In an attacking shoot out, our squad should be favourites against theirs. 

A cagey tactical battle of the managers? 🤔

Hope Gareth proves me wrong,  but know where my money would be. 

5 minutes ago, Silas said:

The one game I'm not overly fussed about being negative is the Germans. Makes sense to be cautious. 

But it's never the starting lineup that concerns me, it's his lack of urgency to change it up if not working. 

For example, if we started that lineup with Saka, and ended up 1-0 down at HT, I'd probably make a double substitution at HT, maybe Foden + Grealish. 

I'd want a 3rd sub on by 60 mins.....prob Calvert-Lewin for Kane (if his poor form continued.)

But Gareth wouldn't. He'd labour on doing the same old shit, maybe 1 sub by about the 70th min, and then chuck the rest on later in desperation. 

Which is probably why I'd have to agree with Roverandout below.

Because of my total lack of faith in GS making swift and substantial subs at the right times, the best chance we've got of winning would be to go all guns blazing from the off.

A cannier manager could really mix it up with this squad depending on the opponent. Just don't think he's got it in him. 

So we might as well of chucked all the danger men on and really took it to them. Gone down swinging if that were to be. In an attacking shoot out, our squad should be favourites against theirs. 

A cagey tactical battle of the managers? 🤔

Hope Gareth proves me wrong,  but know where my money would be. 

My personal preference would be to start as many attacking players as possible and attempt to rip Germany a new arsehole from the start. If we give it our best shot and it's not good enough, or they pick us off, so be it.

What I won't be able to accept (with the attacking options at his disposal) is going down 1-0 in a dull cagey affair without ever really laying a glove on them.

But like I've said, if we nick it 1-0 in a boring game all of a sudden he looks a genius. Very fine line between that and getting it completely wrong and looking a mug.

2 incredible games today, some brilliant football amidst some comical errors, the best entertainment of a gripping tournament so far.

Big game tomorrow, Southgate potentially making a big and negative call by going to 3 at the back, our defence was already steady with 4 at the back and 2 holding midfielders. If he wins then hes a genius, loses and he will have wasted a massive chance to get deep into a tournament. Going to be a nervy one.

Croatia v Spain - at halftime felt a bit tired, had a lie down and fell asleep ....woke up to watch France v Switzerland, exhausted by HT so went to bed.

I have form for this sort of decision making and claim full credit for the rest of the world being superbly entertained.

On the plus side I avoided a full half of Mrs. Overload and Murphy and that laughing prat ex City lad whose name escapes me.

Just watched the highlights show - class.

Edited by AllRoverAsia

I don't have a problem with that line up initially but just hope that he doesn't leave it too late to switch it up if needed. 

Tripper playing tells me he's not wanting the wing backs to be to offensive 

9 hours ago, joey_big_nose said:

To be honest the lesson I can see is being defensive is a better bet. France, Portugal, Netherlands, Spain etc etc have all struggled through being poor defensively.

The more I've watched the tournament the more I think Southgate has got it spot on.

To win tournaments, it always has been.

9 hours ago, DE. said:

Barring a serious injury I think he'll undoubtedly be one of if not the most lethal striker in the world by the time he hits his mid-20s. For whatever reason it just didn't happen for him in this tournament. Lack of experience, not integrating with the group perhaps, who knows.  He just hasn't got going and that was probably weighing him down by the end. He'll be fine though.

Are you talking about Big Ben Diaz ?

8 hours ago, RevidgeBlue said:

My personal preference would be to start as many attacking players as possible and attempt to rip Germany a new arsehole from the start. If we give it our best shot and it's not good enough, or they pick us off, so be it.

What I won't be able to accept (with the attacking options at his disposal) is going down 1-0 in a dull cagey affair without ever really laying a glove on them.

But like I've said, if we nick it 1-0 in a boring game all of a sudden he looks a genius. Very fine line between that and getting it completely wrong and looking a mug.

I personally would be way more p*ssed off if Southgate suddenly decides to go gung ho and chuck everyone on when 1) we know Germany slaughtered Portugal on the counter 2) major teams are dripping like flies because they can't defend.

It would be mad.

For Lowe he's probably genuinely got no idea what formation England will play, we are a lot more tactically flexible than them. We know they will go 343. So that is a significant advantage to us in terms of preparation.

9 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I think Mbappe has all the ability but his decision making isn’t where it should be. I’ll give you an example - somebody played him in through the line the other night. He was about 20 odd yards out but he took the shot instantly instead of using his pace to get in closer for an easier finish. He’ll learn from things like that, I’ve no doubt he’s a star in the making.

One of Mbappe's problems is he plays for PSG who are more or less guaranteed to beat the other teams in the league most weeks. (I do know they weren't champions this year but it's rare they're not.) He doesn't meet the strong determined defences he'd meet in other leagues week in, week out. So he hasn't had to learn to be clever. He just uses his pace and defences fall apart for him. But I watched him in the league game at the Stade Yves-Allainmat against Lorient and the stopped him higher up the pitch and he had no answer. He's clearly talented but hasn't really learnt to vary his game enough. 

• Backroom
1 hour ago, RoverDom said:

Tripper playing tells me he's not wanting the wing backs to be to offensive 

A tad harsh that. 

He's a good offensive wing back.

He's La Liga champion, in the league team of the year, and only 1 defender had more than his 6 assists last season,  and that person played 5 more games than him. 

• J*B unpinned this topic