BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

John Park head of recruitment

23 minutes ago, Miller11 said:

I know the idea of a director of football is in vogue at the minute, but nobody in England seems to know exactly what they are and what to do with them. Head of recruitment I think is just a fancy title, the 2021 version of chief scout.

I would say Norwich City have that structure and its works for them. Stuart Webber and Daniel Farke have been brilliant for that club. 

Plenty of PL clubs have director of football with a manager or head coach under them. Works at most clubs

9 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

The issue is not that the manager has had a hand in selecting the head of recruitment. The issue is who the manager is, and indeed how allowing him to help to surround himself with familiar faces suggests that the job is his for a long time and only strengthens his grip on the job.

Mowbray is out of contract at the end of this current season and We don't know what the future holds for him. I think he will leave in summer 2022. 

The owners have allowed this 

7 minutes ago, JHRover said:

McCarthy is at Cardiff because they sacked Harris after a dreadful run. They will also sack McCarthy should they struggle or go on a dreadful run.

That's why there's no point comparing us to other clubs.

Mowbray is unsackable and has been able to appoint his mates as CEO, assistant manager/head of football and now head of recruitment.

You know it is outrageous. I wish you'd just admit it.

You avoid the question. So I take it you wouldn't have been bothered

1 hour ago, AllRoverAsia said:

What reports?

That's a joke - right?

I was referring to what was said about him searching out van Dijk and Wanyama, (perhaps you missed that or chose to ignore it). If he was able to find anyone similar it would be good for the club. 

No surprise whatsoever in this it was as predictable as the football he's coaching that he'd select an old pal. 

Upside is at least this fella isn't a lower league reject he has some pedigree. They've given him a title as well, what will Venus do now though ?  Back to assistant manager and land officer !

Is Mowbray now giving himself the head coach title and cementing himself an even more cushy number ?

As if it were possible.

This appointment though could be a positive if he's allowed to do what he's paid to do. Lets hope he has a say in the next major recruitment soon.........a head coach or manager.

Edited by tomphil
  • Like 1

It's looking all set for Mowbray's contract extension, isn't it? All his mates in place, the cushiest job in football, I doubt he is walking away next summer.

That lot gave our worst ever and most hated manager a new contract in the face of severe opposition. Giving Mowbray a new deal is small fry in comparison.

I can only hope that this new guy has a better eye for a player.

38 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

I would say Norwich City have that structure and its works for them. Stuart Webber and Daniel Farke have been brilliant for that club. 

Plenty of PL clubs have director of football with a manager or head coach under them. Works at most clubs

What is the role of a director of football? I think it probably differs massively from club to club. When we tried it for 5 minutes with Kenny he did nothing but cast a shadow. Another notably terrible example is Dennis Wise at Newcastle. The set up will only work where clubs are really geared up for it.  

Historically and culturally in English Football teams employ managers to head up coaching and “football operations”. Whatever titles are bestowed on people, generally in English football the manager is ultimately responsible for all of it.

I doubt very much that John Park will be a director. In fact I guarantee he won’t be. We already have a CEO who is a frustrated failed agent who is more bothered about getting involved in player (and property) deals than ensuring the efficient running of the club, and setting ticket prices isn’t even in his remit.

It seems to me there is just a lot of obsessing over titles, and the DoF one seems to get people particularly excited. I can’t see many managers of English clubs being happy with players being brought in without them having the final word, let alone not having any day in the matter. That said, I’m sure our lot would put up with whatever the Rao’s decide.

I suppose it’s just another way of people getting away with being slopey shouldered. How long before we hear the usual defenders spouting “It’s not Mowbray’s fault X player is crap, John Park signed him!”, when in reality his job is scouting.

• Like 1

Just waiting for the club to announce Mowbray has signed a new contract.

He's clearly still got the ear of Venkys if he can bypass nearly 100 applications and just appoint another one of his mates.

Terrible decisions all round, as usual at Rovers.

Going to be a long season of struggle ahead.

• Like 4

From the Lancs Live article linked by OP (emphasis/bold added by me):

Speaking of his time at Celtic, one of his former scouts Peter Houston told the Record: "John brought in a lot of money to Celtic when he was head of the operation. I don’t think anybody could argue he did his job properly. But when a new manager comes in he obviously wants his own people there beside him.

• Like 1

I, for one, am really looking forward to seeing what Park can bring to the Club. Yes he's worked with Mowbray before, so what? He unearthed some real gems at Celtic and if money is tight then that is exactly what we need to be doing at Rovers. 

Don't get me wrong, I am 100% Mowbray out, but the appointment of John Park isn't something that should be used to stoke the fire. I only see it as a good thing. 

• Like 1

Just seen Mowbray's interview in the LT from a while back regarding the recruitment process for the Head of Recruitment.

Basically came across as he couldn't be arsed speaking to all of the candidates so before he got involved he let others whittle the numbers down to make things look good then he just steps in and appoints someone he knows.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Wegerleswiggle said:

I, for one, am really looking forward to seeing what Park can bring to the Club. Yes he's worked with Mowbray before, so what? He unearthed some real gems at Celtic and if money is tight then that is exactly what we need to be doing at Rovers. 

Don't get me wrong, I am 100% Mowbray out, but the appointment of John Park isn't something that should be used to stoke the fire. I only see it as a good thing. 

It's unrealistic to think that we'll be recruiting from Europe in the immediate future due to the change in the EU rules.

Still, I suppose he can lean back on the massive talent pool that is currently Scotland. Perhaps someone should point him in the direction of Motherwell, there's a lad who's been getting rave reviews up there, Tyler Magloire I think his name is?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Just seen Mowbray's interview in the LT from a while back regarding the recruitment process for the Head of Recruitment.

Basically came across as he couldn't be arsed speaking to all of the candidates so before he got involved he let others whittle the numbers down to make things look good then he just steps in and appoints someone he knows.

Spot on. I re-read that old LT article today. I recall reading it first time around and thinking ''well we know what happens here'' ...... and so it came to pass.

I actually wish Park well and hope he succeeds as it helps us .. or should ....

Meanwhile the Ewood CONwheel keeps turning... 

• Like 1

No team manager should be appointing the Head or recruitment that should be the board of directors.  No team manager should be appointing his assistant as DOF and no team manager should be appointing a CEO.

Welcome to the weird world of Tony Mowbrays Venky Rovers 2021.

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, Wegerleswiggle said:

It surely only further strengthens Mowbray's position, that is I suspect peoples issue with it.

• Like 3