BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

John Park head of recruitment

Must not have worked out for him at Legia Warsaw after only agreeing to join them in the latter part of January this year.

They seemingly won the Polish League last season but that's fairly inconclusive as they've won it seven times in the last nine years overall.

24 minutes ago, LDRover said:

Must be great being a mate of Mowbray's. One day you're on your uppers, the next you're on easy street drawing a 6 figure salary accountable to no-one.

There's absolutely nothing to say they are mates! They've worked together a long while in the past and that's it. Mowbray is in his last year of his contract. People acting like he owns the Club. He isn't gonna give himself a contract extension is he and neither is Park.

Park's record and CV is good and exactly what a Championship Club like Rovers need.  

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Wegerleswiggle said:

People acting like he owns the Club.

He isn't gonna give himself a contract extension is he and neither is Park.

First point, he might as well after choosing the CEO and now seemingly being on the point of choosing and confirming the Head of Recruitment.

Second point, he isn't, but the CEO he chose no doubt would if he asked for it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Miller11 said:

What is the role of a director of football? I think it probably differs massively from club to club. When we tried it for 5 minutes with Kenny he did nothing but cast a shadow. Another notably terrible example is Dennis Wise at Newcastle. The set up will only work where clubs are really geared up for it.  

Historically and culturally in English Football teams employ managers to head up coaching and “football operations”. Whatever titles are bestowed on people, generally in English football the manager is ultimately responsible for all of it.

I doubt very much that John Park will be a director. In fact I guarantee he won’t be. We already have a CEO who is a frustrated failed agent who is more bothered about getting involved in player (and property) deals than ensuring the efficient running of the club, and setting ticket prices isn’t even in his remit.

It seems to me there is just a lot of obsessing over titles, and the DoF one seems to get people particularly excited. I can’t see many managers of English clubs being happy with players being brought in without them having the final word, let alone not having any day in the matter. That said, I’m sure our lot would put up with whatever the Rao’s decide.

I suppose it’s just another way of people getting away with being slopey shouldered. How long before we hear the usual defenders spouting “It’s not Mowbray’s fault X player is crap, John Park signed him!”, when in reality his job is scouting.

Park isn't coming in as director of football(Mail got that wrong) and but as head of recruitment at Rovers. 

Look at the role/job that Stuart Webber as done at Huddersfield and Norwich City. He appointed Wagner at Huddersfield and Farke at Norwich. So it has had success at those clubs. 

Just now, chaddyrovers said:

Park isn't coming in as director of football(Mail got that wrong) and but as head of recruitment at Rovers. 

Look at the role/job that Stuart Webber as done at Huddersfield and Norwich City. He appointed Wagner at Huddersfield and Farke at Norwich. So it has had success at those clubs. 

So other than the title, what's the difference between a DOF and a HOR then?

13 minutes ago, Wegerleswiggle said:

There's absolutely nothing to say they are mates! They've worked together a long while in the past and that's it. Mowbray is in his last year of his contract. People acting like he owns the Club. He isn't gonna give himself a contract extension is he and neither is Park.

Park's record and CV is good and exactly what a Championship Club like Rovers need.  

Absolutely.

Let’s judge him on signings.

I seem to remember Souness hiring boersma / Saunders and signing harkness Byornebye and Friedel, yet I can’t remember a single rovers fan suggesting it was “jobs for the boys”.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, JBiz said:

Absolutely.

I seem to remember Souness hiring boersma / Saunders and signing harkness Byornebye and Friedel, yet I can’t remember a single rovers fan suggesting it was “jobs for the boys”.

Irrelevant.

Souness didn't recommend and install an out of work CEO he had worked under before.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, JBiz said:

Absolutely.

Because that particular manager was a darn good one who brought success to the club.

This one is, to coin a phrase, totally shite and has form for bringing similar poorly performing shite into the club previously.

• Like 5

31 minutes ago, Wegerleswiggle said:

Mowbray worked with him at Hibs took him to Celtic with him and he tried to take him to West Brom with him. So I think we are on pretty safe ground to assume that they get on well.

Is his record that good? He made a couple very good signings for Celtic 8 and 10 years ago. After leaving Celtic in 2016 he didn't work for a club as far as I can tell until January this year when he joined might of Legia Warsaw. So he hasn't exactly been a man in demand over the past 5 years. 

12 minutes ago, JBiz said:

Absolutely.

A bit of a difference in ability between the likes of Bjornebye and Friedel compared to the likes of Ayala and Pears. And they came in a made an immediate impact as did Sourness, Mowbray and the ex Boro boys he has signed have done nothing to improve the club. Also remember when he gave his mate Smallwood a extra 6 week contract even though he had not and did not play a single minute all season.

Also I can't remember Souness ever appointing his mate as CEO. 

Edited by Ewood Ace
  • Like 1

Just now, chaddyrovers said:

Research Stuart Webber and you will find what he does as DoF at Norwich

I've no desire to research Stuart Weber although I did read an online article on him a while ago after you were banging on about him.

He seems an impressive enough individual, but that doesn't mean to say the role of a HOR/DOF will be successful everywhere with everyone.

I thought my original question was a simple enough one to answer if you're into all those kinds of technicalities.

In real terms is there no difference then?

Can’t remember Souness having to put up with being unable to offer top talents for this league the best wages either but let’s not forget the reason his championship impact wasn’t/isnt criticised is because he was a success

Park deserves a chance but he won’t get that from the mainstay of BRFCS posters - as highlighted by site  owners suggesting he could get a job off Mowbray in any circumstance.

Pointless even attempting to discuss.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, JBiz said:

Can’t remember Souness having to put up with being unable to offer top talents for this league the best wages either but let’s not forget the reason his championship impact wasn’t/isnt criticised is because he was a success

Park deserves a chance but he won’t get that from the mainstay of BRFCS posters - as highlighted by site  owners suggesting he could get a job off Mowbray in any circumstance.

Pointless even attempting to discuss.

Petulant reply from you - Mowbray and Waggott have done nothing whatsoever to justify their continued employment at the Club in recent seasons. In fact quite the opposite.

Anyone else coming in with past connections to Mowbray is therefore bound to be regarded with extreme suspicion. But as far as recruitment goes he will get a clean slate and if it improves beyond all recognition after he arrives then he will quite rightly be lauded.

And you know it. But hey, don't let facts get in the way of your "brfcs is a cesspit of negativity" type agenda.

• Like 9

54 minutes ago, JBiz said:

Absolutely.

The difference is that Souness surrounding himself with familiarity and strengthening his own position was not a problem in that he was a successful manager. Mowbray shouldnt be in the job so surrounding himself and helping to vet a further familiar face isnt a good sign.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, roversfan99 said:

The difference is that Souness surrounding himself with familiarity and strengthening his own position was not a problem in that he was a successful manager. Mowbray shouldnt be in the job so surrounding himself and helping to vet a further familiar face isnt a good sign.

Of course professionals surround themselves with people they know - not even talking about football. I run a business, I tend to employ and trust graduates I taught / worked with in their education- why is it such a frigging problem for rovers?

Surely posters (including yourself) can analyse an appointment without referring back to the same argument? I don’t think there’s a rovers fan who doesn’t think the best scenario would’ve been a new manager, but presumably, the most rational of those now accept it’s time to move on for at least this season?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Petulant reply from you - Mowbray and Waggott have done nothing whatsoever to justify their continued employment at the Club in recent seasons. In fact quite the opposite.

Anyone else coming in with past connections to Mowbray is therefore bound to be regarded with extreme suspicion. But as far as recruitment goes he will get a clean slate and if it improves beyond all recognition after he arrives then he will quite rightly be lauded.

And you know it. But hey, don't let facts get in the way of your "brfcs is a cesspit of negativity" type agenda.

Petulant ? I would call referring back EVERY SINGLE POINT OF DISCUSSION to “Tony Mowbray out” petulant, but then that’s just my opinion.

If this website continues be dominated by the likes of yourself - I’ll quite happily quote you and describe it as a “cess pit”

Edited by JBiz
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Mattyblue said:

Rovers had extensive interest in the post [87 serious applicants], but Park has been selected as the man to lead the club’s recruitment plans moving forward.

Well I never!

So out of 87 applicants, the one we announce, is a mate of Mowbrays.. Lol 

• Like 4

45 minutes ago, JBiz said:

Of course professionals surround themselves with people they know - not even talking about football. I run a business, I tend to employ and trust graduates I taught / worked with in their education- why is it such a frigging problem for rovers?

The reason it's a "frigging problem" is that known is the only quality that seems to matter. Competence seems irrelevant. I don't know your business but I assume you only employ those you know who have a certain level of competence. To do otherwise is a conflict of interest and unethical. Given how crap and overly awarded his associates are it easily falls into the conflict of interest category. They perform poorly but are paid handsomely. 

As for appointing your own boss/CEO that's a whole other level of problematic and conflict of interest. 

45 minutes ago, JBiz said:

Surely posters (including yourself) can analyse an appointment without referring back to the same argument? I don’t think there’s a rovers fan who doesn’t think the best scenario would’ve been a new manager, but presumably, the most rational of those now accept it’s time to move on for at least this season?

Not sure I like the language you're using - cess pit, the most rational move on. Patronising at best. 

Ignoring that I think I have two issues with your question here. Firstly why refer back to these arguments regarding TM - perhaps because there has been so many appointments that appear dodgy? Pears, Ayala, Venus and Waggott to name a few, so if it happens with frequency it's likely to happen again. Why wouldn't fans be cautious in such circumstances? 

As for best to move on even though TM isn't up to it. Why? I mean if a problem needs fixing pretending it isn't there isn't going to solve anything. Giving it a clean slate doesn't make the problem go away. I mean if my car makes a horrible noise and has the check engine light on me moving on is not going to solve the problems! Likewise with TM the issues won't go away or be fixed by giving him a clean slate. 

I've also got real issues about how this lowers standards too. If there's no consequences for poor performances then it basically legitimises them and standards drop lower. We see that with TM anyway under certain elements of the fanbase but for goodness sake let's have some standards at our club. Saying last season (and the last few before that) don't matter is basically legitimising failure. 

• Like 2