Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v Swansea City (h) - 7/8/21

6 minutes ago, Dreyski said:

Kaminski

Magloire,Lenihan,Carter,     

Nyambe                          Pickering                        

Travis, Davenport, Buckley

Armstrong, Brereton

If we set up like that on the opening day of the season, at home to Swansea, we are asking to be relegated. 

Over to you Tony...

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Colt Seavers said:

If we set up like that on the opening day of the season, at home to Swansea, we are asking to be relegated. 

Over to you Tony...

I don't see the general issue with that formation at home to Swansea? Let alone that it would suggest we are asking to be relegated? 

Personally I would have Ayala there, but I don't see many options that stand out as being vastly superior to that set up 

Five at the back was disastrous at Bolton. Really dreadful. Still leaky but no threat going forward. Very hard to win like that.

By dropping the 3rd centre half (Magloire) and bringing Rothwell into a midfield three (for Travis or Davenport)with Gallagher in a front three we look much better to me.

• Like 3

54 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

I don't see the general issue with that formation at home to Swansea? Let alone that it would suggest we are asking to be relegated? 

Personally I would have Ayala there, but I don't see many options that stand out as being vastly superior to that set up 

5 at the back doesnt seem to suit the current players, our centre backs are not comfortable on the ball, and we are already short at centre back so to play a second of 2 untested kids instead of someone like Rothwell seems illogical to me.

The fixture on paper is as favourable as most will be so it seems unnecessarily negative to play such a defensive formation.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

5 at the back doesnt seem to suit the current players, our centre backs are not comfortable on the ball, and we are already short at centre back so to play a second of 2 untested kids instead of someone like Rothwell seems illogical to me.

The fixture on paper is as favourable as most will be so it seems unnecessarily negative to play such a defensive formation.

I don't buy how playing 3 centre halves doesn't suit professional football players. Ireland played 5 at the back when O'Neill was manager (when we qualified for tournaments) and we had Clarke, Keogh and O'Shea at centre half, honest defenders but they were no Franco Baresis, that's for sure.

Mowbray tries to get centre halves playing the ball anyway, regardless of formation. How many times have we seen Lenihan hoof to nobody or over the sideline? I don't see whats the difference with him doing that in 4-4-2 or 5-3-2. Our main issue has been keeping the ball out of the net, 3 centre halves could make us more secure, particular against long balls and set-pieces. What's wrong with winning 1-0? Plus it would be the most comfortable positions for Nyambe and Pickering at wing-back.  We constantly got caught with our full backs too high up the field ,they may as well just play as wing backs. 

There are 3 spots in midfield in that system , same as 4-3-3, so it would actually be Dolan or Gallagher who would miss out. Rothwell would still be in the mix for one of the 3 CM roles 

Edited by Bigdoggsteel

28 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

What's Illogical to you or I is perfectly feasible in the world of Woebray...

It's also why I wouldn't be surprised if he reverts to 4-3-3 rather than the formation used against Leeds and Bolton.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

They have literally just appointed a new manager, so really they should be there for the taking 

Why? The new manager impact usually gives teams a lift, not make a team there for the taking.

Just looking and they don't seem to have much of a pre season with a few games cancelled.

Gonna go for a 1-1 here, Diaz (who else?!?!) For us

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Ossydave said:

Why? The new manager impact usually gives teams a lift, not make a team there for the taking.

Just looking and they don't seem to have much of a pre season with a few games cancelled.

Gonna go for a 1-1 here, Diaz (who else?!?!) For us

Because he hasn't had a pre season with them and they have had uncertainty. Not like a mid season change 

1 hour ago, Colt Seavers said:

Five at the back was disastrous at Bolton. Really dreadful. Still leaky but no threat going forward. Very hard to win like that.

The issue wasn't the 5 at the back aspect, it was the 2 in midfield aspect. It worked against Leeds because it was 5-3-2 effectively. 5-3-2 works, 5-2-3 doesn't.

2 hours ago, rigger said:

Can you be relegated on the opening day of the season ?

No, but I bet I wasn’t the only one who walked off Ewood after Norwich had dicked us 4-1 in the opening game of Coyle’s reign who was convinced we were going down, despite there being 45 games still left to play!

• Like 5

6 hours ago, Mercer said:

Kaminski

Nyambe Carter Lenihan Pickering 

Travis Buckley Rothwell

Dolan Armstrong Brereton

3-1 Rovers.  Great time to play Swansea - missed out in play-offs, no manager, Covid hit and, sadly, a win will buy Mowbray even more time (IMO, he's a bit of a lucky b@st@rd).

Attendance - 7,300 which miraculously I think Rovers will announce as 11,100 ! 

Mercer Swansea have appointed a new head coach in Russell Martin now. Posted it in the championship thread

4 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

Subs - God knows! Gallagher, Buckley, Carter, Chapman and 3 more kids. Any chance of a signing at any point seems remote.

Stergiakis or Eastham as keeper on the bench. 

Then I would have Maglorie, Garrett, McBride, Gallagher, Davenport and Butterworth on the bench. 

I have taken that Ayala wont be available and Carter starts the game

2 minutes ago, OldEwoodBlue said:

Mowbray Out !

p.s. looking forward to hearing the "pelters" on Radio Lancs from the "I only bought a ST because...." brigade.

Should easily drown out the clapping 😏

Sarcasm doesn't become you!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, OldEwoodBlue said:

I predict the Leeds attendance will be our biggest of the season.

Circa 6500 for this one.

Swansea were given 1967 tickets but still got loads left.

Totally agree, except the "official attendance" will be 11,500.

Edited by rigger
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, OldEwoodBlue said:

I predict the Leeds attendance will be our biggest of the season.

Circa 6500 for this one.

Swansea were given 1967 tickets but still got loads left.

We putting them in the upper or lower tier?

4 hours ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

I don't buy how playing 3 centre halves doesn't suit professional football players. Ireland played 5 at the back when O'Neill was manager (when we qualified for tournaments) and we had Clarke, Keogh and O'Shea at centre half, honest defenders but they were no Franco Baresis, that's for sure.

Mowbray tries to get centre halves playing the ball anyway, regardless of formation. How many times have we seen Lenihan hoof to nobody or over the sideline? I don't see whats the difference with him doing that in 4-4-2 or 5-3-2. Our main issue has been keeping the ball out of the net, 3 centre halves could make us more secure, particular against long balls and set-pieces. What's wrong with winning 1-0? Plus it would be the most comfortable positions for Nyambe and Pickering at wing-back.  We constantly got caught with our full backs too high up the field ,they may as well just play as wing backs. 

There are 3 spots in midfield in that system , same as 4-3-3, so it would actually be Dolan or Gallagher who would miss out. Rothwell would still be in the mix for one of the 3 CM roles 

I think we qualified for tournaments under O’Neill as the players believed in the manager and the players were up for it, playing for our country and in a lot of cases, pure effort and organisation, got us over the line.

Rovers should be able to do it, but we like the spirit and the organisation that we saw, from our boys in Green. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, TruRover said:

Can I just ask, if your currently out of the UK for this game can you still buy a one off match pass for the game? Or does it have to be a season pass?

I’m waiting to see if I can buy a season ticket for Rovers TV. I am out of the country for most of the season and have a foreign address and a Euro debit card, so hope I can.