BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v Swansea City (h) - 7/8/21

22 minutes ago, TruRover said:

Can I just ask, if your currently out of the UK for this game can you still buy a one off match pass for the game? Or does it have to be a season pass?

I have just checked and Rovers TV aren’t showing it. This is due to it being shown on some Channels in Europe. BeIn sports France 4 are showing it, so dependant on where you are, access to that Channel, will give you the chance to watch it. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

I don't buy how playing 3 centre halves doesn't suit professional football players. Ireland played 5 at the back when O'Neill was manager (when we qualified for tournaments) and we had Clarke, Keogh and O'Shea at centre half, honest defenders but they were no Franco Baresis, that's for sure.

Mowbray tries to get centre halves playing the ball anyway, regardless of formation. How many times have we seen Lenihan hoof to nobody or over the sideline? I don't see whats the difference with him doing that in 4-4-2 or 5-3-2. Our main issue has been keeping the ball out of the net, 3 centre halves could make us more secure, particular against long balls and set-pieces. What's wrong with winning 1-0? Plus it would be the most comfortable positions for Nyambe and Pickering at wing-back.  We constantly got caught with our full backs too high up the field ,they may as well just play as wing backs. 

There are 3 spots in midfield in that system , same as 4-3-3, so it would actually be Dolan or Gallagher who would miss out. Rothwell would still be in the mix for one of the 3 CM roles 

I dont have any issues with prioritising clean sheets, but I just dont think that the Ireland comparison is in any way a valid one, just because of how different the situations are. Ireland have for the last 10 years plus had a void of any attacking flair and creativity, but plenty of workmanlike, experienced players. Being resolute and hard to beat was always going to be the only way really that they can play. With Rovers, I feel like inviting pressure is much riskier, the team is far less suited to sitting in great numbers, we lack the experience and concentration that Ireland had, neither side is technically very good but we do have alot more energy and pace in forward areas. Plus there is also the competition that both sides have faced, at international football you go from one extreme to another, half of the group will be international minnows, some of whom are full of part timers in which one goal and youve basically won, and some have a far superior group of individuals than Ireland had so the key was to play the percentages, set pieces etc and rely on organisation and experience. The Championship is far more balanced, there arent the extremes of either side.

If you play 3 centre backs, they are likely to have more of the ball, and ours are all really poor on it. I dont agree with us playing from the back in general really, we should really be trying to turn teams around much quicker than we do. I also think that even if we are to play 2 centre backs, we are lacking in numbers badly. Lenihan is a given, Ayala is made of glass, we dont know when Wharton will be back fully at it, and then beyond that, big question marks on Carter who had a good loan spell but was out of his depth initially, maybe he has grown but he doesnt look good on the ball, and Magloire is even further back. I also dont think that Nyambe is better at wing back, I think his one on one defending is good and I prefer him as a full back. Unsure on Pickering without seeing him competitively.

4 hours ago, JoeH said:

The issue wasn't the 5 at the back aspect, it was the 2 in midfield aspect. It worked against Leeds because it was 5-3-2 effectively. 5-3-2 works, 5-2-3 doesn't.

Obviously its impossible to take too many conclusions from friendlies, hence why the part in bold is a massive statement. But do you think that we have the quality and depth at centre back to play with 3, and do you think that they are suited to playing in that formation? How do you feel about constantly changing formation as Mowbray likes to do?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Oldgregg86 said:

It seems everyone pretty much agrees with the first 11 and nearly everyone has the same ten. Can’t wait to see how Tony’s Tombola manages to stun us all at 2 o clock Saturday 

I think the team, in the main picks itself (for me anyway)

4-3-3 formation. Back 5 picks itself (assuming Ayala gets out of the treatment room)

1 place left for either Buckley or Davenport in the middle 3, Trav and Rothwell the other starters.

1 place left in the front 3 for either Dolan or Gallagher, with Arma and Diaz as the other 2.

I think he'll start Gallagher on the wing, which will just bring back all the frustration of last season in game 1.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, rigger said:

Can you be relegated on the opening day of the season ?

TM would like that, means he can spend the rest of the season sleeping in the dugout.

4 hours ago, rigger said:

Totally agree, except the "official attendance" will be 11,500.

5000 fans and 6500 cardboard cutouts haha.

• Like 1

rovers to start impressively with an 80% possession stat after hour an hour,unfortunately and predictably we don`t score and concede off a set piece just before half time,thats all she wrote and swansea triumph with 0-1 victory without actually doing anything,groundhog day at ewood innit!!,wide strikers bumbling about the flanks,lots of pointless passes,our manager sat on his arris and multiple substitutions after 70 minutes oh and tony claiming we played well 🙄

• Like 2

I think, in his heart of hearts, Mowbray would like to start with five at the back with Travis and Davenport sitting; keep it nice and tight and don't lose the game. The Leeds game showed some promise but that was spectacularly unpicked at Bolton. It would be a brave manager to start that again, particularly if Ayala is missing and Magloire is needed.

I think he will find a compromise with a 433 type formation with both Travis and Davenport alongside Rothwell, and Buckley missing out. I'm certain Dolan will also miss out with Gallagher starting. 

Mowbray must feel under enormous pressure not to lose this game because the excitement in the crowd post pandemic could turn very ugly very quickly if we take a battering.

6 hours ago, simongarnerisgod said:

rovers to start impressively with an 80% possession stat after hour an hour,unfortunately and predictably we don`t score and concede off a set piece just before half time,thats all she wrote and swansea triumph with 0-1 victory without actually doing anything,groundhog day at ewood innit!!,wide strikers bumbling about the flanks,lots of pointless passes,our manager sat on his arris and multiple substitutions after 70 minutes oh and tony claiming we played well 🙄

Awesome the XG premier league here we come 👍

7 hours ago, Colt Seavers said:

I think, in his heart of hearts, Mowbray would like to start with five at the back with Travis and Davenport sitting; keep it nice and tight and don't lose the game. The Leeds game showed some promise but that was spectacularly unpicked at Bolton. It would be a brave manager to start that again, particularly if Ayala is missing and Magloire is needed.

But that's not a realistic assessment of the two games. Both games we did play 3 CB's and wide full-backs sure, but they weren't the same system at all. Is every 4-at-the-back formation the same? 4-4-2 look the same as 4-3-3?

Against Bolton we went with a very wide system. 5-2-3. You had wingers hugging the touchline and then full-backs also hugging the touch line. It left our central midfield super open and Armstrong isolated. He played two holders rather than one and we didn't have a player in the middle making those advanced runs/balls - Buckley or Rothwell for example.

Against Leeds it was very different. A 5-3-2, or some amalgamation of a 5-3-1-1. Very narrow. The only width came from the full-backs. Every long ball and goal kick went to Nyambe who rather impressively won 11 of his 12 attempted headers that night. There were many bodies through the centre. Buckley & Dolan both picking up very narrow roles and we played and incredibly high defensive line to force Leeds into long-balls, which didn't work for them or suit what they wanted to achieve. How many Leeds attacks ended in Kaminski claiming the ball from overhit Leeds long balls? A lot. 

2nd half vs Bolton we switched things up a little. Brereton and Gallagher picked up very central forward roles with Armstrong dropping a little to help in creation. Rothwell making runs and playing balls from an advanced central position shifted the tide completely. We didn't score two goals because we went from 5-at-the-back to 4-at-the-back.

The system we saw against Leeds works. A high line forcing mistakes, width from full-backs, creators in central areas, playing on the break. The system we saw against Bolton won't work.

6 minutes ago, JoeH said:

But that's not a realistic assessment of the two games. Both games we did play 3 CB's and wide full-backs sure, but they weren't the same system at all. Is every 4-at-the-back formation the same? 4-4-2 look the same as 4-3-3?

Against Bolton we went with a very wide system. 5-2-3. You had wingers hugging the touchline and then full-backs also hugging the touch line. It left our central midfield super open and Armstrong isolated. He played two holders rather than one and we didn't have a player in the middle making those advanced runs/balls - Buckley or Rothwell for example.

Against Leeds it was very different. A 5-3-2, or some amalgamation of a 5-3-1-1. Very narrow. The only width came from the full-backs. Every long ball and goal kick went to Nyambe who rather impressively won 11 of his 12 attempted headers that night. There were many bodies through the centre. Buckley & Dolan both picking up very narrow roles and we played and incredibly high defensive line to force Leeds into long-balls, which didn't work for them or suit what they wanted to achieve. How many Leeds attacks ended in Kaminski claiming the ball from overhit Leeds long balls? A lot. 

2nd half vs Bolton we switched things up a little. Brereton and Gallagher picked up very central forward roles with Armstrong dropping a little to help in creation. Rothwell making runs and playing balls from an advanced central position shifted the tide completely. We didn't score two goals because we went from 5-at-the-back to 4-at-the-back.

The system we saw against Leeds works. A high line forcing mistakes, width from full-backs, creators in central areas, playing on the break. The system we saw against Bolton won't work.

Which is why Mowbray will more than likely go for the system we saw against Bolton.

He sees things differently to all of us.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, MarkBRFC said:

Which is why Mowbray will more than likely go for the system we saw against Bolton.

He sees things differently to all of us.

Or Venus, depending on who is picking the team that day and who is sat at the back of the dugout.

And we wonder why players look confused.

Tinpot.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Wegerleswiggle said:

Kaminski

Nyambe Lenihan Carter Pickering

Travis Buckley Rothwell

Gallagher Arma Diaz 

1-1 Diaz 

No defensive cover in midfield there...all forward thinking we will get mullered in midfield, and with no pace at the back any decent team will carve us open evrrytime.

We need a tackler in midfield who is happy to sit a bit...

Edited by Sparks Rover

3 hours ago, Sparks Rover said:

No defensive cover in midfield there...all forward thinking we will get mullered in midfield, and with no pace at the back any decent team will carve us open evrrytime.

We need a tackler in midfield who is happy to sit a bit...

We def need one of those, I don’t think Davenport is the answer. Buckley will sit alright and knock the ball about but he isn’t much of an enforcer. 

4 minutes ago, Fraserkirky said:

We def need one of those, I don’t think Davenport is the answer. Buckley will sit alright and knock the ball about but he isn’t much of an enforcer. 

I would start Garrett ahead of Davenport. He has been one of the main features of the pre season games. At Bolton on Saturday in the half hour he was on he was better than Travis and Davenport combined. When Buckley came on he played just behind Armstrong and looked really good.

• Like 4

Kaminski 

nymabe Lenihan Carter Pickering 

Buckey Travis Rothwell 

Dolan Arma Diaz

or

Nymabe Carter Lenihan Magloire Pickering 

Buckley Travis Rothwell

Arma Diaz

These are the only two line ups that make sense IMO based of performances and match time during pre season. Don’t lose faith in the youngsters if they struggle at first, it will take them a couple of games to adjust to this level.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, TruRover said:

Kaminski 

nymabe Lenihan Carter Pickering 

Buckey Travis Rothwell 

Dolan Arma Diaz

or

Nymabe Carter Lenihan Magloire Pickering 

Buckley Travis Rothwell

Arma Diaz

These are the only two line ups that make sense IMO based of performances and match time during pre season. Don’t lose faith in the youngsters if they struggle at first, it will take them a couple of games to adjust to this level.

Bradley Johnson always starts the season well so I'd stick him in the midfield ahead of Bucko.....whichever way you slice it, it's looking bleak 

1 hour ago, chaddyrovers said:

correct Johnson wont be fit

sorry to be blunt but he`s never fit,he`s been a fat,useless waste of time and money since the day he signed,i thought it was an impressive signing when announced,i realised 5 games in he was just here for one last big contract,the bloke is a disinterested disgrace who would have been released under a proper manager