BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v Swansea City (h) - 7/8/21

On 03/08/2021 at 19:34, lraC said:

I think we qualified for tournaments under O’Neill as the players believed in the manager and the players were up for it, playing for our country and in a lot of cases, pure effort and organisation, got us over the line.

Rovers should be able to do it, but we like the spirit and the organisation that we saw, from our boys in Green. 

Ya, we defended some serious Alamo situations 😂

• Like 1

On 03/08/2021 at 20:07, roversfan99 said:

I dont have any issues with prioritising clean sheets, but I just dont think that the Ireland comparison is in any way a valid one, just because of how different the situations are. Ireland have for the last 10 years plus had a void of any attacking flair and creativity, but plenty of workmanlike, experienced players. Being resolute and hard to beat was always going to be the only way really that they can play. With Rovers, I feel like inviting pressure is much riskier, the team is far less suited to sitting in great numbers, we lack the experience and concentration that Ireland had, neither side is technically very good but we do have alot more energy and pace in forward areas. Plus there is also the competition that both sides have faced, at international football you go from one extreme to another, half of the group will be international minnows, some of whom are full of part timers in which one goal and youve basically won, and some have a far superior group of individuals than Ireland had so the key was to play the percentages, set pieces etc and rely on organisation and experience. The Championship is far more balanced, there arent the extremes of either side.

If you play 3 centre backs, they are likely to have more of the ball, and ours are all really poor on it. I dont agree with us playing from the back in general really, we should really be trying to turn teams around much quicker than we do. I also think that even if we are to play 2 centre backs, we are lacking in numbers badly. Lenihan is a given, Ayala is made of glass, we dont know when Wharton will be back fully at it, and then beyond that, big question marks on Carter who had a good loan spell but was out of his depth initially, maybe he has grown but he doesnt look good on the ball, and Magloire is even further back. I also dont think that Nyambe is better at wing back, I think his one on one defending is good and I prefer him as a full back. Unsure on Pickering without seeing him competitively.

Obviously its impossible to take too many conclusions from friendlies, hence why the part in bold is a massive statement. But do you think that we have the quality and depth at centre back to play with 3, and do you think that they are suited to playing in that formation? How do you feel about constantly changing formation as Mowbray likes to do?

Last 2 years for sure.

Prior to that most of the midfielders and strikers ,or forwards ,if you want to call them that were playing Premier League. Walters, Hoolahan,McLean , Hendrick and McGeady was over at Spartak.   Keane, Long and Daryl Murphy was top scorer in the Championship. So I don't think Rovers have anywhere the energy or ,pace. 

Rovers are miles behind other clubs at the moment. I think you can still play football in 5-3-2 and score goals , whilst keeping things tighter at the back from set pieces and long balls, of which there are many in the Championship 

On 03/08/2021 at 12:17, JoeH said:

David Webb the ref. Did our 1-0 loss at Wycombe last year.

Awful record with this ref. He did the 3-3 with Crewe sending off 2 and sent off Conway in a 2-1 defeat at Hillsborough. I’m not sure if we’ve ever managed to win with him in charge. Couple that with the fact we haven’t won on the opening day since a 1-0 win over Everton in 2010…I’d say our chances are akin to winning the National on a mule 

As much as I would love to be optimistic I just find myself struggling to be. 

I just had a quick look at tickets available for the game and it looks incredibly empty, I can imagine it being 9k which is just awful. It really actually makes me quite sad. I think the senior members of Blackburn Rovers really need to have a hard look at themselves and see what they are doing at the moment is now working. 

I think this season is really an unknown, we have lost a lot of players but no one that I will miss massively (apart from Elliot) and we have added no one. It is remarkable that we will through the young lads in and watch them either sink or swim, maybe that is what we need- who knows? I can't make my mind up. 

The one plus note is that the kits are fantastic but we have still managed to 'Blackburn Rovers' that by having them late and not having them in stock. I had a look online and there is nothing (apart from socks), I think it will be diabolical if there is no shirts available in the Roverstore for people to buy on the opening day of the season. 

Furthermore, I think this is top down, not providing funds to the manager is completely unacceptable, the club has to work on raising revenue but making sure the supporters are happy. 

In summary, everything just feels off but me must move forward. 

Anyway, I going to go for an optimistic 2-2 and I am hoping for  11k with significant help from Swansea... 

Swansea have lost Andre Ayew, Marc Guehi, Freddy Woodman and Conor Hourihane and a few others, so, perhaps, will be weaker this year, barring some major new signings.  They have signed a £1m new striker from Holland, Joel Piroe, who looks like an Adam Armstrong type signing - with very good youth U20s international and lower league records but yet to prove himself higher up in the league.

They've got a new head coach in Russell Martin, recently installed, and, apparently, he favours a back three with wing backs, which, I believe, they used last season anyway.

Quite looking forward to this game. No idea what to expect for either team! Hopefully we can get some points on the board whilst Swansea are sorting themselves out.

Guess 3-2 for Rovers.

If I read it correctly it'll cost £10 per match or £170 for a season ticket For overseas viewers. £10 a match is quite an increase on last year's prices! 

17 hours ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Last 2 years for sure.

Prior to that most of the midfielders and strikers ,or forwards ,if you want to call them that were playing Premier League. Walters, Hoolahan,McLean , Hendrick and McGeady was over at Spartak.   Keane, Long and Daryl Murphy was top scorer in the Championship. So I don't think Rovers have anywhere the energy or ,pace. 

Rovers are miles behind other clubs at the moment. I think you can still play football in 5-3-2 and score goals , whilst keeping things tighter at the back from set pieces and long balls, of which there are many in the Championship 

Spot on.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, riverholmes said:

Swansea have lost Andre Ayew, Marc Guehi, Freddy Woodman and Conor Hourihane and a few others, so, perhaps, will be weaker this year, barring some major new signings.  They have signed a £1m new striker from Holland, Joel Piroe, who looks like an Adam Armstrong type signing - with very good youth U20s international and lower league records but yet to prove himself higher up in the league.

They've got a new head coach in Russell Martin, recently installed, and, apparently, he favours a back three with wing backs, which, I believe, they used last season anyway.

One thing that strikes me with this, is that some people assume, us getting back to the prem, solves all the problems, due to the riches on offer. Swansea had their time there, along with others, who have dropped out and still run into trouble.

Out of curiosity I watched the highlights of Bournemouth v MK Dons game from last weekend. Hopefully the new Swansea manager, Russell Martin tries to play the same way as he did at Bournemouth. I really hope Mowbray has seen this and adopts a really high press.

3 hours ago, arbitro said:

Out of curiosity I watched the highlights of Bournemouth v MK Dons game from last weekend. Hopefully the new Swansea manager, Russell Martin tries to play the same way as he did at Bournemouth. I really hope Mowbray has seen this and adopts a really high press.

I have watched a lot of pre season games and fannying about at the back has made tippy-tappy the biggest provider of goal assists by far. 

Ayling did a classic in the Ayax v Leeds game most recently.

3 hours ago, arbitro said:

Swansea won't make 80% of the mistakes the MK players make here though. Agreed that Russell Martin, especially early on in his tenure, with his play-style, is exactly the kind of manager we can beat with our 4-3-3.

Revised line up based on Team news 

Kaminski 

Nyambe Lenihan Ayala Pickering

Travis Buckley Rothwell

Dolan         Gallagher        Brereton-Diaz 

Subs:- Stergiakis, Carter, Davenport, Garrett, Butterworth, McBride, Pike

• Like 1

1 hour ago, chaddyrovers said:

Kaminski 

Travis Buckley Rothwell

Yeah that’s the team chaddy. Never know maybe Gallagher will finally get going through the middle. Dolan certainly has some targets in the box. Midfield is perfect with Buckley sitting a little deep and Rothwell/Travis going box too box. Ayala better be ready.

Edited by Fraserkirky
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, chaddyrovers said:

Kaminski 

Travis Buckley Rothwell

A look at that subs bench tells us all you need to know. I'm all for bringing the youngsters through - just not all at once thanks! 

• Like 1

I like how TM keeps going on about how good it will be to have the fans back, not so sure he will agree if things start turning sour like many expect. It's not gonna be big crowds this season but I can assure you Tony I've got a loud voice if needed and will let you know my thoughts 😁

• Like 1

8 hours ago, JoeH said:

Swansea won't make 80% of the mistakes the MK players make here though. Agreed that Russell Martin, especially early on in his tenure, with his play-style, is exactly the kind of manager we can beat with our 4-3-3.

You missed my point. We have to force the mistakes (just as Bournemouth did) with a really high pressing game. If we stand off they will pass it around for fun. Mowbray has to factor this in to his team selection and tactics.

Don't know if there'll be many in the Blackburn End Saturday but here's one for the "Blackburn End Choir"

Mowbray had a dream

With his housing team

He had no money so he asked the bank for a loan

With flats at the back

Few quid in the sack

It's Tony Mowbray - I wish he'd just jack/ he needs the tin tack

Edited by RevidgeBlue
  • Like 3