BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

News From Other Leagues

• Backroom
1 hour ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

They also had Harper who played for us a couple of seasons ago playing in midfield. They paid big money for him.

Judging by his performances so far we probably made the right call not playing him very often and sending him back in January. He barely looks League 1 standard now, so there's no way he was ready in 2017.

22 minutes ago, LDRover said:

I believe he was at fault for Bolton's equaliser as well. 

He didn't get a great score in the local rag:

Christian Walton 

A debut at the earliest opportunity for the Blues’ new goalkeeper, during which he would certainly not have planned on picking the ball out of the net five times. He wasn’t individually culpable for any of the goals, but he did have a few jittery moments behind a defence which had plenty of its own troubles. 5 

Meanwhile, Harper...

Rekeem Harper 

Like Evans, Harper never found a way to dominate the middle of the pitch, with the pair lacking bite in the tackle. Harper, while looking tidy on the ball at times, wasn’t able to break out and move the team forward through the middle of the pitch and did little to stop the flow of Bolton attacking pressure. 3 

• Backroom
34 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Isn;t Paul Cook close to the sack currently?

I'd be surprised, still seems too early for that. Not sure how Ipswich's new owners operate though. If Marcus Evans was still in charge I'd say no way, but who knows with the new owners.

It's been a terrible start to the season for Ipswich, no matter how you look at it. Cook has been making excuses about the squad needing time to gel, and it's a fair point considering the upheaval over the summer, but you can't use that as an excuse for the kind of performance they put in today. It was also his choice to completely overhaul the squad and arguably boot out some players who could have helped maintain consistency, so the 'we need time to gel' rhetoric holds a limited amount of weight for me. They need to pick up wins urgently over the next few weeks, or they'll already be too far gone to even mount a playoff push. 

Personally if they fail to win in the next two matches I'd be seriously looking at removing Cook. His overall record there, I think, is p23 w4. That's incredibly poor irrespective of any excuses that can be made. 

Edited by DE.
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, DE. said:

I'd be surprised, still seems too early for that. Not sure how Ipswich's new owners operate though. If Marcus Evans was still in charge I'd say no way, but who knows with the new owners.

It's been a terrible start to the season for Ipswich, no matter how you look at it. Cook has been making excuses about the squad needing time to gel, and it's a fair point considering the upheaval over the summer, but you can't use that as an excuse for the kind of performance they put in today. It was also his choice to completely overhaul the squad and arguably boot out some players who could have helped maintain consistency, so the 'we need time to gel' rhetoric holds a limited amount of weight for me. They need to pick up wins urgently over the next few weeks, or they'll already be too far gone to even mount a playoff push. 

Personally if they fail to win in the next two matches I'd be seriously looking at removing Cook. His overall record there, I think, is p23 w4. That's incredibly poor irrespective of any excuses that can be made. 

Mowbrayesque spiral.

Good to see Richardson, Beattie and Kelly doing so well at Wigan. 

15 hours ago, DE. said:

thanks for the reply. 

Have the fans or local papers/reporters turn on him yet? 

Would be interesting if Cook was sack who Ipswich would go for? Isn't Bristol City former CEO Mark Ashton there as CEO at Ipswich?

if mogaddon is going at the end of this season we should be on the phone  enquiring about ian evatt,he`s done a fantastic job for bolton,if they do the unthinkable and give our resident dinosaur another contract i`ll be off watching chorley and accy stanley,i can`t stand another incompetence ridden 2/3 years with him at the helm

• Backroom
1 hour ago, chaddyrovers said:

Good to see Richardson, Beattie and Kelly doing so well at Wigan. 

thanks for the reply. 

Have the fans or local papers/reporters turn on him yet? 

Would be interesting if Cook was sack who Ipswich would go for? Isn't Bristol City former CEO Mark Ashton there as CEO at Ipswich?

I'd say the fans are on their way to turning. They aren't seeing much difference between Cook and Lambert. There's already booing at Portman Road and the main fans forum is turning distinctly more negative as each game passes. 

The local journos are trying to remain neutral but after yesterday they really had no choice but to pile on as well. Sky Sports were actually the ones that went in hardest yesterday, which got Cook riled up.

Sky Sports: Do you think the fact you are the big club in this league is putting pressure on the players? 

Paul Cook: I respect your job, but how many negative questions do you want to ask me? 

There are massive clubs in this league. Bolton Wanderers are a massive football club! Sunderland! Portsmouth! How many do you want?  

We’ll concentrate on ourselves. The most important thing is Ipswich Town Football Club. Today, we’ve let our fans down.  

You can’t manage and play for a club like this, have performances like that, and speak about acceptance. It’s not acceptable. 

But there are only so many negative adjectives you can use. It’s now about how we go away and respond. That’s the biggest test of anybody’s character. 

Sky Sports: Do you think it’s in the coaching? 

Paul Cook: Come on mate!  

Sky Sports: It’s a fair question.

Paul Cook: I've answered your questions and I respect you’re doing your job, but you’re just asking negative one after negative one. 

Not sure what he was expecting after a 5-2 home defeat in all honesty. All very Lambert-esque.

8 minutes ago, DE. said:

I'd say the fans are on their way to turning. They aren't seeing much difference between Cook and Lambert. There's already booing at Portman Road and the main fans forum is turning distinctly more negative as each game passes. 

The local journos are trying to remain neutral but after yesterday they really had no choice but to pile on as well. Sky Sports were actually the ones that went in hardest yesterday, which got Cook riled up.

Not sure what he was expecting after a 5-2 home defeat in all honesty. All very Lambert-esque.

thankyou for the reply. I think now he is working without his former number 2 Leam Richardson he is now struggling. Similar to Hughton without Calderwood. Do you agree with that?

• Backroom
21 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

thankyou for the reply. I think now he is working without his former number 2 Leam Richardson he is now struggling. Similar to Hughton without Calderwood. Do you agree with that?

Ipswich fans seem to think so. I think that's what Sky Sports were getting at with their questioning, and why Cook got so defensive over it. I haven't followed Cook's career closely enough to say whether or not he's been affected by the change in assistant or not, but it's one major difference that can be pointed to when comparing his record at other clubs. 

I have to admit I thought Cook would be a good appointment for Ipswich, but something is clearly not right there. Assistant manager aside I think Cook tried to change too much too quickly. His assessment that practically the entire Ipswich squad were failures and needed to be moved on was flawed, imo. I believe that the club is still reeling from the scale and speed of the change implemented. He's almost put 11 strangers on the pitch and asked them to work as a team. If the aim for this season was transition and next season a promotion challenge then it might be acceptable, but I don't think that is the plan and the fans definitely don't see that as the plan. They wanted a promotion push this season, and it's already looking very unlikely that it's going to materialise. 

Edited by DE.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 17/11/2021 at 22:36, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Anybody else watch the Stockport v Bolton game tonight ? What a fantastic match, Stockport 2-0 down after 5 minutes ended up winning 5-3 after extra time. That’s what I call an FA Cup tie !

Only watched the second half onwards, but what a game. Seemed to me that Bolton are still some way away from being a team that could challenge for promotion in that league too.