BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

News From Other Leagues

Grayson was the go-to League 1 manager for a while to get a promotion, and did alright at Leeds and Preston after getting them into the Championship. His last few jobs have been poor though so maybe he's had his day (though he's still relatively young at 51).

Everything Dunn gets involved with manager/coach-wise though seems to go downhill......

• Like 3

I wonder with Grayson whether he is struggling without his mates of Snodin and Miller in the dugout.

At Blackpool (first spell), Leeds, Huddersfield and Preston Snodin was his assistant but in his last 3 jobs he hasn't been.

Sometimes managers rely heavily on assistants that do certain jobs very well for them or understand what it is the manager is looking for and when that partnership ends things aren't quite the same afterwards.

It was similar with Clough and Taylor - after Taylor went his own way Clough never hit previous heights. Wenger and Pat Rice - when Rice retired they fell away from contention. O'Neill with John Robertson - after Villa Robertson retired and O'Neill didn't reach previous levels. Even Mourinho with Rui Faria who left him at United and since then Mourinho hasn't won anything.

I'd have had Grayson here a few years ago including when we went into League One but after his last few spells he seems to have lost his mojo.

• Like 1

If you think it's bad here, have a read of this. Waterford sacked their manager,because according to him, he wouldn't play the chairmans son. The manager used to play for QPR, Mark Bircham. This club is a basket case. I think they sack managers more than Watford. 

https://www.otbsports.com/sport/bircham-refusal-to-play-owners-son-led-to-sack-at-waterford-1282162?utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Facebook&fbclid=IwAR2-gsMYyWDKxVxFOV7KSoX8MGEfAPIW_XG3fIW9-BN7Gcvg9w0PbicIqSg#Echobox=1637868683-2

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

If you think it's bad here, have a read of this. Waterford sacked their manager,because according to him, he wouldn't play the chairmans son. The manager used to play for QPR, Mark Bircham. This club is a basket case. I think they sack managers more than Watford. 

https://www.otbsports.com/sport/bircham-refusal-to-play-owners-son-led-to-sack-at-waterford-1282162?utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Facebook&fbclid=IwAR2-gsMYyWDKxVxFOV7KSoX8MGEfAPIW_XG3fIW9-BN7Gcvg9w0PbicIqSg#Echobox=1637868683-2

A player who was inexplicably considered an absolute worldbeater on Championship Manager 01-02 is I remember correctly!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, moerpho said:

See Accrington are playing Bolton today. Perhaps Bolton finally have found their rightful place in the leagues and the rivalry they deserve? Perhaps a bit harsh just never saw them as a rival to Rovers.

And Stanley are 1-0 up at HT 😂

4 hours ago, moerpho said:

See Accrington are playing Bolton today. Perhaps Bolton finally have found their rightful place in the leagues and the rivalry they deserve? Perhaps a bit harsh just never saw them as a rival to Rovers.

Pretty disrespectful I would say. Coming from Darwen I did see Wanderers as a big rival when I was growing up (especially some pretty daunting trips to Burnden Park via Manchester Road!) and they are also a historic football club of a similar size to us who are better than third tier.

• Like 2

Burnley have ended up as our all encompassing rival, but you are right, go back a few decades and it would depend on where you lived. 

Yes, if you lived in say Accy or Great Harwood it would be that lot, but for a Darrener it would be Bolton, for someone from say Bamber Bridge/South Ribble, PNE.

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, oldjamfan1 said:

Pretty disrespectful I would say. Coming from Darwen I did see Wanderers as a big rival when I was growing up (especially some pretty daunting trips to Burnden Park via Manchester Road!) and they are also a historic football club of a similar size to us who are better than third tier.

Tbh, Wanky Wanderers were always our main rivals, late 60s, 70s, 80s.

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Strange appointment. Going off their display against Barrow last night he’s got a big job on his hands.

Another staff member to leave Old Trafford after Ole. 

Very surprised that they didn't appoint Neil Harris who would have been my choice given his experience and knowledge 

On 11/12/2021 at 22:04, Mattyblue said:

Burnley have ended up as our all encompassing rival, but you are right, go back a few decades and it would depend on where you lived. 

Yes, if you lived in say Accy or Great Harwood it would be that lot, but for a Darrener it would be Bolton, for someone from say Bamber Bridge/South Ribble, PNE.

It was always Burnley for us Darreners but Bolton were a very close second. In the early 70s, there was load of trouble at a youth club near the railway station when a group from Bolton came over. I also remember, early to mid 70s, a big banner being strung up over Bolton Road saying, ‘Last Chance Bolton.’ Never sure whether it meant for Bolton beating us or some reference to a fight between the fans. You can also throw into the mix the fact that many Boltonians come over the hill to live in Darwen and also that Darwen Grammar School/Darwen Vale’s catchment area included Turton which, strangely, is part of Blackburn with Darwen. Despite all that, main rivals have always been the Clarettes.

2 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

Another staff member to leave Old Trafford after Ole. 

Very surprised that they didn't appoint Neil Harris who would have been my choice given his experience and knowledge 

Still think it was a good idea they got rid of MM? Wonder if their supporters do - it all been downhill since...still, perhaps they play pretty football now?

• Backroom

A bold appointment from Ipswich. I don't know anything about McKenna so no comment to make on his suitability beyond the obvious fact he has no first-team management experience which could make for a bumpy ride. Particularly with a squad critically low on confidence who were just comfortably knocked out of the FA Cup by Barrow, 19th in League 2.

It'll be interesting if nothing else.

Edited by DE.

7 hours ago, DE. said:

A bold appointment from Ipswich. I don't know anything about McKenna so no comment to make on his suitability beyond the obvious fact he has no first-team management experience which could make for a bumpy ride. Particularly with a squad critically low on confidence who were just comfortably knocked out of the FA Cup by Barrow, 19th in League 2.

It'll be interesting if nothing else.

Fair enough, no love for Ipswich tbh

• 4 weeks later...