BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Steve Waggott

31 minutes ago, JBiz said:

It might sound like one of those “NMJ” things and I can understand people turning their nose up at it, but it would send a message.

Is it possible to actually walk around Ewood when there’s no matchday?

There is the stadium tour, but I doubt that will include a look around the Riverside.

39 minutes ago, JBiz said:

It might sound like one of those “NMJ” things and I can understand people turning their nose up at it, but it would send a message.

Is it possible to actually walk around Ewood when there’s no matchday?

Yes i think you can i had a couple of mooches around in summer to see what they were doing with the pitch. 

Anyone have any figures for how full the Riverside is on a typical matchday?

At a guess I would say there are maybe 1000-1500 in there on a good day and the stand holds what? 4,500+?

So maybe a quarter to a third full on a typical matchday.

Given that this stand runs the length of the pitch and provides what is traditionally a sought after side view of the action it seems that the people buying their tickets don't agree. 

Anyone think of any other 'side' stands in the Championship that are usually only a quarter full on matchday?

It really does let the ground down and as I've said before it isn't all about the attendances - if the club had an eye on anything beyond the next few weeks and months and any semblance of a medium to long term plan it would be developing that lucrative area into a modern facility - media, disabled, covered, concourses, better floodlights, internal spaces.

Fulham have been building a new stand at their ground - started in the Championship - they didn't need to as they don't need the extra capacity as a Championship club and their old stand was ok. But their owner wanted to improve the ground and grow the club. 

Really galling for me the losses the club has racked up and yet the facilities have been left to rot through neglect and starvation of funds.

The money comes in, the money goes out, the club sees little benefit. 

• Like 3

There’s a (dwindling) hardcore that love it, which is fair enough if you’ve sat in your seat for 20/30 years. 

However, it’s striking that now it’s not the cheapest part of the ground it’s emptied far more than any other stand this season, obviously plenty (of those that haven’t just stopped entirely) have made a beeline for the JW. Which is exactly what you imagine the club wants; keeps more seats facing the cameras full and it also becomes easier for it to follow the BBU and DE Lower into closure…

Edited by Mattyblue

9 hours ago, JHRover said:

Anyone have any figures for how full the Riverside is on a typical matchday?

At a guess I would say there are maybe 1000-1500 in there on a good day and the stand holds what? 4,500+?

So maybe a quarter to a third full on a typical matchday.

Given that this stand runs the length of the pitch and provides what is traditionally a sought after side view of the action it seems that the people buying their tickets don't agree. 

Anyone think of any other 'side' stands in the Championship that are usually only a quarter full on matchday?

It really does let the ground down and as I've said before it isn't all about the attendances - if the club had an eye on anything beyond the next few weeks and months and any semblance of a medium to long term plan it would be developing that lucrative area into a modern facility - media, disabled, covered, concourses, better floodlights, internal spaces.

Fulham have been building a new stand at their ground - started in the Championship - they didn't need to as they don't need the extra capacity as a Championship club and their old stand was ok. But their owner wanted to improve the ground and grow the club. 

Really galling for me the losses the club has racked up and yet the facilities have been left to rot through neglect and starvation of funds.

The money comes in, the money goes out, the club sees little benefit. 

Loads from the limited highlights I’ve seem on TV.

• 2 months later...

‘That will involve Tony, there will be discussions about myself and the general direction of the club and how it’s been run over my tenure.

“We’re both relaxed, at a stage of our careers where we can be relaxed as you can be in football, but it is what it is.

https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/19941645.blackburn-rovers-tony-mowbray-set-venkys-contract-talks/

So not just TM’s future up for discussion  in the summer. What’s that Cromwell line again?

Edited by Mattyblue

• 3 months later...
44 minutes ago, goozburger said:

Has he gone from the club or is he on holiday? Not seen him since he shook hands with Broughton last week. Thought he'd have been part of the Tomasson welcoming committee.

Perhaps he’s taken the hint and fucked off. Hopefully he turn up at some flee market selling his belongings. TURD

• Like 1

2 hours ago, goozburger said:

Has he gone from the club or is he on holiday? Not seen him since he shook hands with Broughton last week. Thought he'd have been part of the Tomasson welcoming committee.

no-one has seen him since he went to tell Big Dunc face to face that he hadn’t  got the job. 

Edited by Hasta

4 hours ago, goozburger said:

Probably neither. We have made the 2 appointments now and its time to let them get on with their jobs. Waggott can focus on off the field side of the club with Broughton and JDT now appointed in footballing roles at the club. 

58 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

So now he can make an ever bigger mess.

Waggot will be no doubt working feverishly to sort out the mess he's made of ST prices. 

Watch this space, Swaggot won't let the Rovers fanbase down again, surely 😉 

Edited by damo100

• Backroom

The decision to appoint Broughton could be his saving grace and a master stroke if this goes well.

Reading between the lines we weren’t close to a head coach appointment and it was Broughton that got it done.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Tom said:

The decision to appoint Broughton could be his saving grace and a master stroke if this goes well.

Reading between the lines we weren’t close to a head coach appointment and it was Broughton that got it done.

A headhunting agency was tasked with appointing a DOF.

Waggot spent so much time trying to recruit a Head Coach through traditional terms, ie advertising job and interviewing applicants, only to see them move elsewhere.I wonder why?

In comes second choice GB and action within days a Head Coach.

It was never intended for a DOF to be instrumental in recruitjng a Head Coach.

Speak volumes about the credentials of our CEO,

Now the back tracking of season ticket deadline.again.

How is he still in employment?

• Like 6

It’s the arrogance of that statement, making out that this reverse ferret debacle was the plan all along, spinning c7,000 ST sales as a success, and that they are doing us a favour by putting prices back to the slightly less ridiculous price they were a week ago.

Absolute clown and I’m sick of seeing such a mediocrity run (into the ground?) my beloved football club.

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 5

I don't think that it is fair to criticise Waggott and praise Broughton for the managerial search as if anyone could possibly conclude that Waggott messed things up and Houghton came to save the day, the process seemed overly convoluted but had got to/past the final interview stage just as Broughton came in, who even said as such. It seems like we are basing it on Waggott's reputation to judge it as such just to be able to criticise him further.

But undoubtedly Waggott needs to be removed for overseeing continuously appalling attempts at fan re-engagement.

3 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

I don't think that it is fair to criticise Waggott and praise Broughton for the managerial search as if anyone could possibly conclude that Waggott messed things up and Houghton came to save the day, the process seemed overly convoluted but had got to/past the final interview stage just as Broughton came in, who even said as such. It seems like we are basing it on Waggott's reputation to judge it as such just to be able to criticise him further.

But undoubtedly Waggott needs to be removed for overseeing continuously appalling attempts at fan re-engagement.

Make your mind up

1 hour ago, goozburger said:

Broughton stated that Tomasson was close to signing for another club when he had to convince him just to come to the table for a chat. Broughton also very politely dismissed the shortlisted candidates out of hand by saying the might have been good for another point in time.

In short, it looks very likely that Tomasson was Broughton's idea, and the shortlist at the point of him starting working for the club was virtually null and void.

https://www.brfcs.com/forums/topic/35399-which-utterly-brilliant-manager-will-we-be-delighted-to-welcome-next/?do=findComment&comment=2331918

not sure how to insert posts from closed threads, but i predicted as much had happened. it's nice to be proven right!!

i think the nonsensical "manager first, dof second" approach was simply so waggott could have his name and face attached to the new man, in the hopes it was someone like farke, to try and claw himself some credibility back amongst the fanbase and solidify his position in the process. broughton's utterly embarrassed him and his acumen in about two days, if i'm honest.

Edited by nbdelboy
  • Like 6

3 hours ago, nbdelboy said:

https://www.brfcs.com/forums/topic/35399-which-utterly-brilliant-manager-will-we-be-delighted-to-welcome-next/?do=findComment&comment=2331918

not sure how to insert posts from closed threads, but i predicted as much had happened. it's nice to be proven right!!

i think the nonsensical "manager first, dof second" approach was simply so waggott could have his name and face attached to the new man, in the hopes it was someone like farke, to try and claw himself some credibility back amongst the fanbase and solidify his position in the process. broughton's utterly embarrassed him and his acumen in about two days, if i'm honest.

It wouldn't take much though to be fair.

On 18/06/2022 at 02:29, glen9mullan said:

The guy needs removing.

1. He totally cocked up the two transfer windows last season.

2. Tried his royal best to sell off land

3. Made the biggest hash in a managerial search ever, the amount of managers who said thanks but no thanks after one chat with him is embarrasing. 

4. GB was found by someone else, and in a few days rescued the managerial search and bagged our man, as JDT has pointed out in every interview, god knows where we'd been without GB

5. Set the most out of touch season ticket strategy in living memory of rovers, as he is so out of touch.

6. Has allowed the ground to deteriate.

7. Massively cocked up on contract renewals, whilst giving massive sell on fees to clubs we've signed players from

7. Has managed to deflect all the blame on others, to any idiot that gives him the time of day.

8. Has overseen a continued crowd decline.

The guy obviously has his minions now, who hang on his every word, and are even more dangerous than him.

Never in living memory can i remember anyone who has had such a free ride and not been held accountable to the supporters. In the old days it was "sack the board". In more modern time the smucks have been bang to rights.

There is a lot of positivity surrounding GB and JDT, what we dont need is this idiot to continue to run the club down.

Be under no illussions, this was not a thorough process, this was a complete mess, with the blind leading the blind.

New CEO now and 2022-23 has a great feel about it.

Those who have been taken in by him, hang those heads because its embarrasing and you dont represent the views of the majority.

I'm just waiting for the "this was what we meant, when we said 18 months ago good things were coming" 

Reason being as no good came, anything positive will be something they hang their hat on.

As with the tweet I saw from Gary Smith yesterday regarding season tickets, foooook me, if he gets any further up their asses he will be coming out of their mouths.  Totally dillusional, and as twitter showed him yesterday, his views are only shared by a small minority, with his rebuttal that he paid for 50 supporters to see a game last season.

Wrong Gary - the rovers supporters who kindly donated to a justgiving page to bring the reza over funded those tickets.

Anyway I digress, Waggott needs to go, a full clean sweep now of management team and board, is a massive step in the right direction.

Absolutely no idea what your beef with Gary Smith is and playing devil's advocate we are possibly seeing signs of the good things certain people were promised 18 months or so ago

- New manager and management structure

- Substantial work done on the pitch and supporting infrastructure

- You yourself posted some remedial works are to be carried out to the stadium.

As far as Waggott is concerned though, couldn't agree more. Absolutely bang on with your points regarding him.

9 hours ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Absolutely no idea what your beef with Gary Smith is and playing devil's advocate we are possibly seeing signs of the good things certain people were promised 18 months or so ago

As far as Waggott is concerned though, couldn't agree more. Absolutely bang on with your points regarding him.

Is that second one strictly true? The owners ended up not bothering to do what was seen as a necessary total revamp of the pitch.

Point 1 surely shouldn't take 18 months to happen until the expiry of his contract either.

9 hours ago, RevidgeBlue said:

I'm open minded at present, sort of at a crossroads.

There is certainly some positive things with a change in management but it was never forseen 18 months ago.

I've seen the latest business engagement brochure which has been quite well recieved.

I liked the retro shirts done last season.

I'm optimistic that we have a transfer budget,

We are an established championship side now, and although disappointed we couldn't sustain our promotion push, it was nice to feel we was actually in the race.

The rest is very much in the air, and proof will be in the pudding i guess.

I have my season ticket, looking forwards to getting my new shirt, and thankful that touch wood i get to see season 22/23

• Like 2

1 hour ago, roversfan99 said:

Is that second one strictly true? The owners ended up not bothering to do what was seen as a necessary total revamp of the pitch.

Point 1 surely shouldn't take 18 months to happen until the expiry of his contract either.

Yes the club pitches have been improved and upgraded.