BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Souness on Rovers

I remember being at a game at spurs, can't remember which year this was. 

Souness on the touchline, immaculately dressed. For some reason the expensive brown shoes stick in the mind. The decisions weren't going our way. Christ, did he ever go mad. He was seething. The crowd responded with due appreciation. 

SOOOOOOOOOU-NESSSSSSSSSS! 

Most of our managers party venkys looked like they got dressed in the dark. Bowyer wore a suit, but he really did look like he'd been down burtons in a sale. Souness though, wow. You could tell he'd lived in Italy, put it that way

Edited by broadsword
  • Like 7

22 hours ago, den said:

There are certain people/pundits in all sports that just demand respect for their views. People who have been at the very top and done it all. Real sportsmen. Sportsmen who have given everything in their time to the sport.

I could have listened all day to Shane Warne. I could have listened all day to Cloughie. That doesn’t mean to say I agreed with absolutely everything they ever said or did - but for whatever reason they could only be respected for what they’d done.

Souey is in that group for me. I could listen to him all day too.

Two of my all time sporting hero’s you’ve mentioned there Den. I was really upset when I got the news of Warne’s sudden death, and this for a man who normally took us apart on the cricket field. Similar with Cloughie, I always hated Leeds but even more so after the way they treated Clough. 

• Like 2

• 7 months later...
  • Backroom
6 minutes ago, broadsword said:

Amazing you see that Graeme is swimming the channel to raise awareness for DEBRA and particularly Isla.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-highlands-islands-65664357

I can't imagine how difficult it must be to live with that. 

That video! Never seen such a hard bastard get so emotional. What a thoroughly decent man he is.

• Like 8

9 hours ago, broadsword said:

Amazing you see that Graeme is swimming the channel to raise awareness for DEBRA and particularly Isla.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-highlands-islands-65664357

I can't imagine how difficult it must be to live with that. 

When my mum was pregnant with my sister she had mate who was going to give birth at the roughly the same time. Her mates pregnancy went on longer than the normal 9 months and when the child was eventually born she was suffering from that horrible condition. She was one of the first recognised cases, if not the first. The poor kid suffered terribly and died quite young. The was in the early 1960’s when the treatment hardly existed.

22 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

When my mum was pregnant with my sister she had mate who was going to give birth at the roughly the same time. Her mates pregnancy went on longer than the normal 9 months and when the child was eventually born she was suffering from that horrible condition. She was one of the first recognised cases, if not the first. The poor kid suffered terribly and died quite young. The was in the early 1960’s when the treatment hardly existed.

That's tragic for all concerned.

Perhaps something could be done amongst Rovers fans as a collective to raise some cash and donate as one so Souness knows its from us?

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Yeah, that hurts to read that. Imagine a child having to go through that, particularly with no pain relief. I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy.

Edited by broadsword

1 hour ago, alcd said:

Souness has the best record of any Rovers manager. Promotion to PL in first full season after taking over a shambles. Winning (Worthingtons) League Cup . Top Six finish qualifying for Europe. 

No that's Dalglish, Souness is second and is by far my favourite. I'll never forget when he called the referee a clown. 

Besides, that's the modern era. The most successful manager is probably Robert Middleton who managed the two league title wins in 1911/12 and 1913/14.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, alcd said:

Souness has the best record of any Rovers manager. Promotion to PL in first full season after taking over a shambles. Winning (Worthingtons) League Cup . Top Six finish qualifying for Europe. 

He spent a lot of money though which Hughes didn't have and he was definitely taking us down when he left for Newcastle.

Hughes had us in top 6 on much tighter resources and we had some terrific Cup runs.

Not to downplay Souness' time at Ewood at all but he'd definitely lost it when (or before) he left.

Best record of any Rovers manager is an opinion, which I know many people share, but its not a fact.

I agree with above post factually and statistically that record belongs to Dalglish but then you come back to money and Dalglish  had it in sackfuls!

Edited by 47er
  • Like 3

Souness had well and truly lost the plot by the end of his time at Ewood and should have been sacked before he eventually jumped ship, saving Williams making a hard decision

Good manager for us though and gave us some great times... the promotion year, the Uefa Cup run with those 2 unforgettable ties with Celtic and the fantastic day out in Cardiff when we upset the Spurs luvvies

In an interview with the LET (??) not that long ago it's clear that he loved his time at Ewood and has a genuine affection for the club. Great football man too - love listening to him on TV and the wireless

• Like 5

49 minutes ago, booth said:

He seemed to lose it thanks to Yorke and Barry Ferguson.

Other than that he was a brilliant manager for us, one of the best. I'd welcome him back.

I'd welcome Hughes back but not Dalgllsh---he can only function with massive financial backing.

As for Souness, he's 70, poor buggers suffered enough!

• Like 2

i absolutely adored souness time here,you genuinly looked forward to games because you knew it was attacking football played with 100% commitment,some of his antics were top as well

calling graeme poll a spurs fan

chasing the linesman down the touchline at wigan

calling the ref "minging" against middlesborough

• Like 7