BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

3 hours ago, Admiral Nelsen said:

Have to make the best with what you have though. Maguire's had a torrid time or a while, but he's shown before that he looks a different player when defending a bit deeper in a three compared to playing in a two on the half-way line. His ceiling in that position is much higher than Coady if he is the next option (who also probably needs to play in a three too). 

Another issue is that any other likely partner to Stones has barely been given a sniff. I've not seen enough of Tomori to judge, maybe him and Stones are the best option, but they've barely played together. Same with the other domestic options, it still remains to be seen if Guéhi can make the step up to international level.

Far from an ideal situation, but I think we have to take Maguire just because of the lack of other decent options. 

Maguire will be a big topic until the Iran game, and maybe beyond. He has hardly put a foot wrong for England over the past 4 years but he picked the wrong time to have a nightmare of a game. The question is was it a one off or is this now him? Man U fans, and plenty of others, will say the latter.

I'm in the Maguire will play camp. Southgate trusts him and believes that he'll get a tune out of him. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, roverandout said:

I expect usa and England to qualify 

The USA need to pull their finger out if they are to make it out of the group. They were limp against Japan and not much better against Saudi Arabia on Tuesday (0-0).

They qualified 3rd in CONCACAF behind Canada and Mexico after some iffy performances. 

Their coach doesn't know his best 11 either. 

The first game against Wales is massive.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, AllRoverAsia said:

Yes that team could have got to the final but were Bonettied after being 2-0 up. I just watched the goals and the dive for the first, Beckenbauer goal, was pathetic. I'd forgotten how bad that was, although I've never forgotten the Seeler header, also atrociously marked.

The good things were that my Dad rented our first colour TV for the WC and I met a lovely Scottish lass over on her holidays and discovered stuff that took my mind off the pain of football. She was a beaut.

It was a shame, Bonnetti was a class ‘keeper. I saw him have some great games for Chelsea, one in particular at Ewood when they won 1-0. He won them that game.

I reckon my mum could have saved the Beckenbauer shot, maybe the fact that he didn’t hit it cleanly fooled Bonnetti. Bobby Charlton was spent by then and he was supposed to be marking Beckenbauer but he just let him run with the ball from the half way line. Ramsey subbed him right away after that, not at 2-0 as most people think.

Our Keith got out jumped on the last goal but he’d played all the game in that heat and made two goals. The lad jumping with him had only just come on. Ramsey never picked him again after that game.

Bonnetti was gone after the first goal. I couldn’t get to sleep after that game I was so wound up. I genuinely thought we had a chance of getting to the final again.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

It was a shame, Bonnetti was a class ‘keeper. I saw him have some great games for Chelsea, one in particular at Ewood when they won 1-0. He won them that game.

I reckon my mum could have saved the Beckenbauer shot, maybe the fact that he didn’t hit it cleanly fooled Bonnetti. Bobby Charlton was spent by then and he was supposed to be marking Beckenbauer but he just let him run with the ball from the half way line. Ramsey subbed him right away after that, not at 2-0 as most people think.

Our Keith got out jumped on the last goal but he’d played all the game in that heat and made two goals. The lad jumping with him had only just come on. Ramsey never picked him again after that game.

Bonnetti was gone after the first goal. I couldn’t get to sleep after that game I was so wound up. I genuinely thought we had a chance of getting to the final again.

Whilst checking for Keith's age in 1970 I came across "The Keith Newton Story", a 60 page book published last year.

https://www.toffeeweb.com/season/21-22/comment/general/41350.html

Also in my wanderings this pic of Peter Dobing taking a shot at goal v ManU. Question is who was the dog playing for ....or was it the Referee

Fdpg4H6X0AEujtj.jpeg

41 minutes ago, AllRoverAsia said:

Whilst checking for Keith's age in 1970 I came across "The Keith Newton Story", a 60 page book published last year.

https://www.toffeeweb.com/season/21-22/comment/general/41350.html

Also in my wanderings this pic of Peter Dobing taking a shot at goal v ManU. Question is who was the dog playing for ....or was it the Referee

Fdpg4H6X0AEujtj.jpeg

Dogs on the pitch used to happen quite often back in those days.

5 hours ago, RoverDom said:

interesting on the TAA debate. I still think though there are times where trent switches off defensively, lets the ball go over his head,doesn't stick a foot in etc

As Simon Jordan on TalkSport said maybe the reason why trent plays regularly for Liverpool and not England is being Liverpool don't have the depth of talent England has at rightback.  Had Liverpool got other viable options in that position, then maybe trent wouldn't play in some of the bigger games 

30 minutes ago, roverandout said:

As Simon Jordan on TalkSport said maybe the reason why trent plays regularly for Liverpool and not England is being Liverpool don't have the depth of talent England has at rightback.  Had Liverpool got other viable options in that position, then maybe trent wouldn't play in some of the bigger games 

If it was a weak spot I'm sure they would have addressed it by now - atleast bought decent cover. Maybe the more defensively minded Gomez would have played there more often. I'm sure if Klopp thought trippier was better, he could have gone and got him over the years. It's all too easy to point out the times he's missed a header or not put a foot in and then ignore the moments of brilliance where he's unlocked teams with audacious passes. I'd say Liverpool are still in profit from him. 

On 01/10/2022 at 07:52, RoverDom said:

If it was a weak spot I'm sure they would have addressed it by now - atleast bought decent cover. Maybe the more defensively minded Gomez would have played there more often. I'm sure if Klopp thought trippier was better, he could have gone and got him over the years. It's all too easy to point out the times he's missed a header or not put a foot in and then ignore the moments of brilliance where he's unlocked teams with audacious passes. I'd say Liverpool are still in profit from him. 

I agree with you. Klopp is willing to let TAA's defensive lapses slide as he provides goals and assists at a phenomenal rate. Southgate wants more defensive stability, so that for me is why he won't be going to Qatar.

He made another mistake for a goal yesterday. 

He'll take him I'm sure as he took maguire when not fully fur at the euros. Talking of the world cup. We have so many talented players playing at the top now. Reece james trent Bellingham grealish were all outstanding in the champions league this week. We have so much quality it would be a real Shame if we didn't go far

1 hour ago, roverandout said:

He'll take him I'm sure as he took maguire when not fully fur at the euros. Talking of the world cup. We have so many talented players playing at the top now. Reece james trent Bellingham grealish were all outstanding in the champions league this week. We have so much quality it would be a real Shame if we didn't go far

I think that you are right. If he isn't fit Southgate can name a replacement. TAA could get a reprieve.

Chelsea had a large English contingent playing last night. All of them did well. All told there were 6 English Chelsea academy graduates playing, including Tomori (who didn't do much wrong but was on the end of a comprehensive defeat).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ianrally said:

At least Poland aren’t in our group. Shit group maybe but we still have to perform to qualify, England are past masters at showing that no international is a pushover. 

To be fair in terms of qualifying for tournaments in the last few years I doubt whether many countries have done so with as much ease as England have.

• Like 4

• 4 weeks later...

@J*B Moving here to talk England players.

Your England 11 in the Prem thread looked like more of a wish list than a potential line up.

Ramsdale is flying for the current league leaders, but I seriously doubt that Southgate will drop Pickford. Southgate likes who he knows, Pickford has never let him down. 

Tomori and White will be lucky to make the squad. I think that TAA won't make it either. His defensive lapses have been far too numerous this season. Walker will be fit, it is looking likelier that James will be too, and Kalvin Phillips. However, none of them will have played any football so my money is on Trippier starting game 1 at right back. He is in fine form, and another who Southgate likes.

Shaw will play at left back/wing back, who will back him up now that Chilwell is out? Southgate may opt to take only 1 left footer with Trippier providing cover.

This was Southgate's last squad. 28 players. 26 are allowed in Qatar.

Goalkeepers: Dean Henderson, Nick Pope, Aaron Ramsdale

Defenders: Trent Alexander-Arnold, Ben Chilwell, Conor Coady, Eric Dier, Marc Guehi, Reece James, Harry Maguire, Luke Shaw, John Stones, Fikayo Tomori, Kieran Trippier, Kyle Walker

Midfielders: Jude Bellingham, Mason Mount, Kalvin Phillips, Declan Rice, James Ward-Prowse

Forwards: Tammy Abraham, Jarrod Bowen, Phil Foden, Jack Grealish, Harry Kane, Bukayo Saka, Raheem Sterling, Ivan Toney

Other players not listed who have featured for Southgate are Gallagher (Chelsea). Rashford. Sancho. Calvert-Lewin. Of those 4 I'd say only Calvert-Lewin has a chance. 

I said thast the team that drew with Germany would be Southgate' 11 for Iran with Pickford in for Pope. 

With wing backs I'll go;

Pickford

Trippier Stones Dier Maguire Shaw

Rice   Bellingham

Sterling             Kane              Foden

4 at the back;

Pickford

Trippier  Stones Maguire Shaw

Rice   Bellingham

Mount

Sterling             Kane              Foden

• Like 1

My England squad would be 

Goalkeepers: - Pickford, Ramsdale, Pope. 

Defenders: - Tripper, Walker, James, Shaw, White, Stones, Dier, Coady, Tomori

Midfielders: - Rice, Bellingham, Phillips, Henderson, Ward-Prowse

Attacking midfielders: - Sterling, Mount, Foden, Grealish, Saka, Rashford

Strikers: - Kane, Abraham, Calvert-Lewin