BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

GALLAGHER WATCH v Luton Town

I panned Gallagher for his performance on Saturday but some fans disagreed so I thought ….as I re-watch the game…….that I’d pay particular attention to his contribution. 

0 Long ball to the wing and Gallagher wins the header but Diaz can’t do anything with it.

3 Decent pass to Dolan on the wing but he is dispossessed as he tries to do too much.

5 Nyambe heads clear but Gallagher can only head into touch.

Nice long ball from Buckley for Gallagher to chase. He’s too strong for the Luton defender and cuts a nice short ball towards the edge of the box for Diaz. Diaz falls over under challenge but no penalty.

6 He receives a throw-in on his chest but is surrounded and quickly dispossessed.

9 Routine pass then features in a bit of pointless head-tennis.

11 Loses header on the edge of Luton’s box.

15 Loses another header on the half-way line.

16 Not only is he not running around like his usual self but it irritates me how he just stands stationary next to two big defenders at our throw-in…..no attempt to    run into space. Mind you, he’s not the only one guilty of that!

17 Another long ball and he loses out in the aerial contest. In fact de didn’t really try to compete.

18 Two attempted short passes - two failures to get past the defender.

Easily pushed away from the ball as the defender clears.

20 Again out-muscled as a defender heads clear. Potts falls awkwardly. Mowbray having an animated chat with Gallagher.

21 Receives a throw-in on his chin/chest but no control and it bounces away.

22 Concedes a free-kick as he tussles for a long ball clearance. Had the Luton lad in a headlock!

24 Lovely ball from Pickering to Sam on the edge of the box but it's offside!

25 Receives another throw-in on his chest but is immediately dispossessed.

30. Receives the ball on the half-way line and holds it up just long enough to allow Buckley to take it forward. After a few more passes Pickering gets his goal.

32 Long ball from Kaminski goes over his head.

35 Collects a long flat ball but is scythed down as he turns and tries to move forward. A half-decent chance for Ayala from the free-kick.

37 No attempt to challenge for a high long ball.

40 Pickering wins the ball nicely on halfway but Gallagher fails to control, slips and a promising position is lost.

45 Messy football but Gallagher wins the challenge then more mess until Rovers win a free-kick. Comes to nothing.

SECOND HALF

45 Long high ball and Gallagher fouls the defender.

47 Gets involved in the pushing and shoving with the goalie after Dolan’s simulation.

51 Rises to challenge for a long hoof upfield but way over his head.

57 Again involved in argy-bargy after Travis is fouled. But he hasn’t touched the ball this half yet!

64 YEHHH! His first touch of the half but the ball just bounces off him and is lost.

65 Poor challenge by Sam midway in our half earns him a yellow card. Free kick to Luton. Results in goalmouth ping-pong until the shot whistles wide.

67 He receives a short pass but can’t control it as the defender challenges.

68 Lovely ball from Nyambe into the box for Sam to run on to but he slips, falls and is easily dispossessed.

71 Receives the ball near the corner and beats his man but then runs the ball over the line for a goal kick. It looked promising!

75 Beaten in the air as the ball is hoofed high again. No attempt to jump.

76 And again.

80 Receives a throw-in, turns but is outmuscled and it’s a Luton throw.

81 Backing into his man he loses another high challenge without leaving the ground.

83 Promising move sees Sam receive the ball just to the right of the box, he slips but recovers, moves central but it’s crowded. Passes back to Nyambe who has a lot to do but he moves forward and gets a decent shot in and the goalie saves low.

85 Beaten in the air again. 

86 Again the long ball fails to reach him.

88 Over his head again. Then a lovely ball slipped to him as he runs towards the box but he is dispossessed instantly.

89 Receives a loose ball with back to goal and no one behind him but by the time he turns the defenders are back to rob him. Dolan picks up the scraps and Sam gets it again, runs into the box but drags his shot well wide and it goes out for a throw!  Disappointing.

Nice ball to his feet from Dolan but he loses it immediately while in a good position. His close control is awful today.

90 Wins a challenge in our own half but it’s a Luton throw.

94 Another long high ball and Sam fails to challenge effectively.

95 Brereton hits the goalie in a one on one, it falls to Sam in a great position but his shot is blocked by the defender. Diaz or Sam should have scored.

96 He is haring down the wing and has a good chance to move in on goal but he opts to take it to the corner flag to waste time. He is immediately robbed and concedes the free-kick. Dumb.

97 The free kick isn’t cleared, we can’t get out of the half and Luton score. Gallagher is absolutely out on his feet. In the goal replay you can see that he has a chance to challenge but he is spent.

• Like 2

He just had a really shit game, didnt win a header against the centre back, hardly won a challenge, didnt create, missed a sitter, created confusion with his run into the corner when he should have attacked the goal and then couldnt get his lazy arse into the area when defending at which Luton scored!

A truly shocking non performance and should he play versus Hull he owes the fans and the team big time!

• Like 3

Just now, 1864roverite said:

He just had a really shit game, didnt win a header against the centre back, hardly won a challenge, didnt create, missed a sitter, created confusion with his run into the corner when he should have attacked the goal and then couldnt get his lazy arse into the area when defending at which Luton scored!

A truly shocking non performance and should he play versus Hull he owes the fans and the team big time!

No argument from me there!

2 hours ago, Oldgregg86 said:

It really was one of the worst individual performances I can remember and that includes all the other teams I’ve watched in every league on tv. Still doesn’t beat that two hat playing for Brighton now though

I couldn't help thinking John O'Mara at Goodison in the FA Cup circa( circus) '72 !

9 hours ago, tonyoz said:

I panned Gallagher for his performance on Saturday but some fans disagreed so I thought ….as I re-watch the game…….that I’d pay particular attention to his contribution. 

Who disagreed? Nobody. He was awful. I didn't read a single poster state otherwise. Crowned off by the worst ever run-the-ball-to-the-corner-flag since all the way back when he did the same against PNE.

His lack of technical ability aside, there was an incident on Saturday which summed Gallagher up for me and showed why imo he'll never be prolific. 

In the second half when Luton were pressing we broke quickly out of defence and had a 2 on 2 situation, our player with the ball then Gallagher further forward last man with a Luton defender.

Any striker worth his salt with an eye for goal would have burst forward in a straight line to try and beat the defender and create a one on one situation with the keeper.

Instead Gallagher peeled off sideways to the right hand touchline forcing our player to play a tame diagonal pass to him.

Result: All momentum lost and players got back.

12 hours ago, TheRoversReturn said:

Who disagreed? Nobody. He was awful. I didn't read a single poster state otherwise. Crowned off by the worst ever run-the-ball-to-the-corner-flag since all the way back when he did the same against PNE.

I know, most thought he was garbage. I was in this mood when I wrote that:

"He’s had plenty of time on the pitch, today he was in his favoured position and he was embarrassing. I never want to see him start again."

Some thought I (and other posters) were too harsh:

"I'm not going to join the gallagher bashing band waggon, I personally think he's a decent player at this level when he's on form."

"sounds like gallagher had a shocker but some comments are a bit harsh. he is what he is, he needs a decent run up top to build confidence , capable of brilliant goals, capable of bad misses."

"not his best game but I'm not going to be over critical of him today or write him off from playing up front. For me, thats is where he should be playing. 

He had a good game at Boro and not the best today."

"Gallagher through the middle is still the way to go as it's better than him messing up on the wing."

"I was keeping up to date with posts and some were saying brereton missed a few too, so I find it odd that gallagher is singled out alone" 

"Oh, he's never going to be a world beater but he can be a big lump making a nuisance. That said, sometimes he has shockers and yesterday was one."

1 hour ago, TheRoversReturn said:

....and we paid £5 million for him. Plus just sold Armstrong and not brought in another striker, so we're pretty much stuck with him in the team. 

£12 million for Brereton and Gallagher. Yowzers.

Yep, that's the raw truth. That's what really hurts because there's no way out....we have to live with it...........unless some kind of miracle happens!

2 minutes ago, Wheelton Blue said:

...and some people believe that we have the players to cover off Armstrong's goals and that we'll end up in 9th position!

We do not have the players to cover AAs goals, that's for sure.

Finish 9th? The league is so full of mediocrity that is actually possible but Mowbray the Deranged will mess it up. 

• Like 2