BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v Hull City (h) 14/9/2021

I am firmly of the belief that the reason we got these lads from Brighton and Leeds is because those clubs were happy to send them here for nothing, or close to nothing, in return for us giving them regular game time and getting them playing proper football.

This can be the only logical explanation for why we waited on them for so long and seemingly pushed the deals through despite the lack of fitness. I find it unbelievable that we waited until deadline day to sign a loan who had a 'pre existing' injury who is not going to be fit for weeks.

• Like 8

1 hour ago, rigger said:

And then make a public statement saying that he isn't concerned about it.

Has to be part of his ongoing campaign to earn himself a pay off surely.

Either way comments like that one and "I don't bother looking at League tables" etc show the Club and the supporters zero respect.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Mattyblue said:

Bringing in a player, on loan, with ‘a pre existing injury’ and won’t be seen for a couple of months at least.

I’d get irate about it, but just standard operations down there…

mowbray is an incompetent manager with an even worse administration,any ceo with a semblence of interest would have been asking questions about signing players who are already injured,the lad from lincoln is also injured,despite it being reported as minor if you believe anything that  comes out of ewood and brockhall these days,sam mcqueen the terminally crocked southampton player will probably turn up on a free in january despite not having played in two years

https://www.rovers.co.uk/news/2021/september/Pickering-I-m-learning-all-the-time/

I have seen a lot of praise from the official site and in the local media regarding Pickering in the last couple of weeks.

"For those who turn up to Ewood Park not knowing anything about the Rovers squad, many would think that Harry Pickering's been a Championship regular for years.

The 22-year-old full-back looks right at home in the second tier."

What do people make of this? I personally think that he definitely looks better than the 2 incompetents of last season, but he is still a long way from convincing me.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

https://www.rovers.co.uk/news/2021/september/Pickering-I-m-learning-all-the-time/

I have seen a lot of praise from the official site and in the local media regarding Pickering in the last couple of weeks.

What do people make of this? I personally think that he definitely looks better than the 2 incompetents of last season, but he is still a long way from convincing me.

Given that he's literally only played a Burnley handful of games at this level I think he's doing as well as can be expected and if he stays injury free will just get better as the season progresses. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, oldjamfan1 said:

Given that he's literally only played a Burnley handful of games at this level I think he's doing as well as can be expected and if he stays injury free will just get better as the season progresses. 

What's a Burnley handful ?

17 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

"For those who turn up to Ewood Park not knowing anything about the Rovers squad, many would think that Harry Pickering's been a Championship regular for years.

Not the finished article - but seems to be improving game by game as adjusts. He has been targeted by a number of teams - and our formation doesn't really help the full backs (leaving lots of space behind them) - though not spectacular at the moment - he is definitely an improvement on last season

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

I thought he had his best game for us on Saturday but up to then his form was indifferent. Early impressions are that he is better offensively than defensively but in my view he can only get better with game time.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, oldjamfan1 said:

4 minutes ago, DavidMailsTightPerm said:

Not the finished article - but seems to be improving game by game as adjusts. He has been targeted by a number of teams - and our formation doesn't really help the full backs (leaving lots of space behind them) - though not spectacular at the moment - he is definitely an improvement on last season

I would definitely agree that he is an upgrade but the standard of Douglas and Bell was so low that it isnt really a barometer of success. I think technically he looks very tidy but he looks particularly slow on the turn and has been caught out positionally a few times. I think he will need to perform to a higher level if he is to ensure that he keeps his place in the team with Edun soon to be pushing him, I look at our defence/goalkeeper and individuals within it have received praise this season but as a team we are not keeping clean sheets which worries me.

Definitely worth persevering with and an ok start but I do think the official website has gone well over the top with its praise, although no issues as I suppose thats it job to a certain degree.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

He's been frustrating me. His whole USP was his movement up the top end of the field. Adding goals and assists from an area we've not had them. Saturday was a start, time to keep pushing on though. I think he's lacked the confidence to overlap Ben Brereton Diaz enough. He keeps hesitating to really break into the box. I'm hoping the goal will push him on and give him what he needs to do that more.

Defensively, he's a League One player. I think that was always the case though. He can improve that over time. It's worth it if he can provide in the final third. But ONLY if he can. If he can't then he's not a big improvement on Bell or Douglas at all.

45 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

He was anointed by the local press and a section of the supporter base immediately upon signing. Therefore an acceptable performance will always lead to affirmation articles like this. He will also get a certain level of praise for simplynot being Amarii Bell, who I don’t believe was half as bad as some make out.

As has already been mentioned, a lot is asked of our full backs. I think Pickering will bring a lot going forward, but still looks to be getting up to speed in terms of the defensive demands. Early days yet, so that’s fine. Be interesting to see what happens with Edun.

Edited by Miller11
  • Like 2

Had the Brereton Diaz attempt bobbled in off the post on Saturday I think we would have gone on to get a Hatters full (pardon the pun). However, the gurning eejit pulled a stunning about turn in the game's fortunes by completely changing the tactics just when they didn't need changing. Thus heads went down and may not be back up again for tonight's tough challenge. So, my assessment is, Hull cant' score for toffee at the moment, so we will gift them at least one. Rovers can't close a game out at the moment, so we will remain vulnerable till the final whistle. A narrow victory will ensue for the team that scores first. I'm not sure monsieur le Gurn can deliver this for the faithful. 

I do expect to be completely baffled by the tactics, the outcome and most of all by the complete onions coming out of Mowbray's chops pre and post match. 

Rovers 1, Hull 2 attendance 9432, with 363 hardy, deluded but ultimately ecstatic souls from the land of the longest bridge to nowhere.

Waggot OUT! Mowbray OUT! Gurning, Cheating Liars OUT!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Mattyblue said:

Bringing in a player, on loan, with ‘a pre existing injury’ and won’t be seen for a couple of months at least.

I’d get irate about it, but just standard operations down there…

Hmm should be back roughly in time to get in Wharton's way then. Cool.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, JoeH said:

He's been frustrating me. His whole USP was his movement up the top end of the field. Adding goals and assists from an area we've not had them. Saturday was a start, time to keep pushing on though. I think he's lacked the confidence to overlap Ben Brereton Diaz enough. He keeps hesitating to really break into the box. I'm hoping the goal will push him on and give him what he needs to do that more.

Defensively, he's a League One player. I think that was always the case though. He can improve that over time. It's worth it if he can provide in the final third. But ONLY if he can. If he can't then he's not a big improvement on Bell or Douglas at all.

I agree with how you mention his hesistance, that very much sums him up so far, hesitant. His set pieces have been pretty poor and he has often played safe passes, indeed when he has got forward his crosses have tended to be loopy and straight towards the keeper. His goal was excellent both in how he took not the best pass from Brereton and also the finish and he is definitely technically better than Bell, he is much calmer on the ball whereas Bell rarely had the ball under control and often gave away needless throw ins.

His or indeed any targeted left backs defensive ability shouldnt have been seen as less of a priority than his ability to go forward though. Our defensive record and inability to keep clean sheets is horrendous, is it 16 games? And that is with individuals (Ayala and Kaminski for example) impressing amidst that.

1 hour ago, Miller11 said:

He was anointed by the local press and a section of the supporter base immediately upon signing. Therefore an acceptable performance will always lead to affirmation articles like this. He will also get a certain level of praise for simplynot being Amarii Bell, who I don’t believe was half as bad as some make out.

As has already been mentioned, a lot is asked of our full backs. I think Pickering will bring a lot going forward, but still looks to be getting up to speed in terms of the defensive demands. Early days yet, so that’s fine. Be interesting to see what happens with Edun.

I definitely think that he is better than Bell (and Douglas) but merely being better than 2 players who were awful is not the benchmark that should be set. I do agree with how quick people have been to try and big him up, not only on his reputation but perhaps also in the absence of many other signings?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, BRFC4EVA said:

I'd start Carter for this one instead of Ayala. No point in risking him for the short turn around. I'd rather have him available for barnsley away.

Otherwise same team, fast start and we should really be beating hull comfortably

You may have a point there. Ah well, Ayala to start and probably get injured it is.

So this summer we signed:

Edun, already injured

Van Hecke, already injured

Khadra, already injured

Poveda, wasn't injured but is now

Clarkson, fit.

Good stuff. That's how you replace 12 players. And 4 of this lot are loans so will definitely need replacing again next year even if they get over their injuries.

Edited by bluebruce
  • Like 4

6 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

So this summer we signed:

Edun, already injured

Van Hecke, already injured

Khadra, already injured

Poveda, wasn't injured but is now

Clarkson, fit.

Good stuff. That's how you replace 12 players. And 4 of this lot are loans so will definitely need replacing again next year even if they get over their injuries.

‘Are you currently injured’

’yes’

’sign here, lad’

• Like 1