BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v Hull City (h) 14/9/2021

10 hours ago, Butty said:

You spelt Joe Rothwell wrong. 

Rothwell is fantastic, when he fancies it. But Buckley is a better footballer now than Rothwell. There will be light years between them once Buckley fully matures.…as in, Rovers fans will look back, shake their heads, laugh and reminisce about the time X said that Rothwell or Stefan Mols was better (I find this amusing now btw).

Buckley, right now is far ahead of even the likes of Trav in terms of his understanding of the game and potential. Trav is physically pretty awesome and so impacts games more at the moment. But they’ll all be pretty much in Buckley’s shadow within 12-18 months I reckon.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Do you ever get over a chronic back injury ? I didn’t. I would be fine at the start playing 5 a side but after 45 minutes

How is your back now Tyrone?

Injured mine badly about 12 months ago (gardening) and still no better. MRI showed no damage, but steroid injections and painkillers haven't touched it.

Can't stand straight properly 

2 hours ago, Angry_Pirate said:

Echo what most have written. Apart from a (basically) unplayable 15 minutes after the subs came on from 55th-70th (credit where it is due), we were abject. 

Butterworth was one who back in August I felt could really make a case for the #10 spot, but it is worrying how a player can come on in the 55th and be knackered by the 80th. Improve his fitness or I doubt he can ever start - but those 30 minute cameos could become 2018/2019-Rothwell esque.

100% with you here. Once the dust settles, and fans start to reflect on their worst ever - by ability - established starting XI, Smallwood would comfortably be in most teams. 

Sorry Hull, but if he's playing 90 minutes every week - as your captain to boot, you ain't long for the Championship. 

I would rather have a player who wins a game, but is knackered after 25 minutes. than one that strolls around to no effect for the full match

• Like 3

1 hour ago, DavidMailsTightPerm said:

Agree with what you previously said - but Mowbray got lucky ? or identified our shortfalls and addressed them ? Most managers can get formations etc wrong at the start of a match - it is how they address them during the match that is key. It isn't often TM gets things right - as you say the initial formation was awful - but I am prepared to give him some credit for at least changing it.

If Hull could score they would have won that game - you could equally say they could be top of the league if they could score 🙂

As I said his hand was forced as his initial selection had failed, miserably.

The luck came from the initial impact of the subs ... unless that was in Mowbrays strategy all along. I do not think so.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Paul Mani said:

Rothwell is fantastic, when he fancies it. But Buckley is a better footballer now than Rothwell. There will be light years between them once Buckley fully matures.…as in, Rovers fans will look back, shake their heads, laugh and reminisce about the time X said that Rothwell or Stefan Mols was better (I find this amusing now btw).

Buckley, right now is far ahead of even the likes of Trav in terms of his understanding of the game and potential. Trav is physically pretty awesome and so impacts games more at the moment. But they’ll all be pretty much in Buckley’s shadow within 12-18 months I reckon.

Well let’s see if I look a fool in a couple of years Paul. Be interesting to look back on, I hope you’re right, it’s not that I don’t rate Buckley I just think currently in our team Rothwell’s drive in midfield is key for us and there’s no doubting his ability. Top player is Joe and Buckley certainly has the potential to become a top player also. 

• Like 3

13 hours ago, garnersfags said:

More than ever, we need our hard-core fans to just reign-in the half-time booing. One minute you are praising the young squad, applauding Dolan etc, the next you are booing those very same players, without the 1st clue that it might dent their fragile confidence. Surely give them 10 games before you let your own depression and home life seep out in the form of booing and cat-calling of the youngest team in the division. 

Before you start, I'm as frustrated as anyone by Mowbray's generally negative tactics, and brainless substitutions etc etc, but I have never booed us off at half time, it's pointless and counter-productive, and many of us on here still do it. 

Please give it a quarter of a season before the bile is released. And if you don't agree with booing, challenge it, I do. 

The idea of a boo free stadium is a noble one but ultimately a totally unrealistic one. The boos are spontaneous builds up of frustration, it is not as if people are waiting to boo in a pre-meditated fashion, and it is not as if they can be reigned in because the team is young.

Ultimately, many of these players come from a sanitised kids football environment and have to get used to the fact that the results really matter to those in the crowd who are desperate for that to happen, have spent good time and money to be there and will naturally voice their displeasure if they are being left frustrated.

For the record, I didn't boo but I understood those who did after a woeful first half. And the players responded well in the second half, to which naturally the fans very much bought into. For what its worth, I thought the atmosphere even in the first half when the game was like watching paint dry was very supportive but it is impossible to expect a perfect reaction throughout the game.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Paul Mani said:

Well do we have 12-18 months for Buckley to show his light years progression.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, rigger said:

I would rather have a player who wins a game, but is knackered after 25 minutes. than one that strolls around to no effect for the full match

I seem to remember Damien Duff used to look knackered 25 minutes into a game and he turned out alright.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Butty said:

Well let’s see if I look a fool in a couple of years Paul. Be interesting to look back on, I hope you’re right, it’s not that I don’t rate Buckley I just think currently in our team Rothwell’s drive in midfield is key for us and there’s no doubting his ability. Top player is Joe and Buckley certainly has the potential to become a top player also. 

Undoubtedly Rothwell and Trav currently have the greater impact. But that’s more to do with age and experience than ability.

The key for me is that I think Buckley can / will do most of what Trav and Rothwell can do plus his own game (game intelligence and control etc).

Quick one maybe for Joe and his team. I reckon that Buckley made the most tackles and interceptions per minute over the last two games…if not then I think he’ll rank very highly. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

How is your back now Tyrone?

Injured mine badly about 12 months ago (gardening) and still no better. MRI showed no damage, but steroid injections and painkillers haven't touched it.

Can't stand straight properly 

Not too bad Jim. It’s worse when I get out of bed in the morning. Putting my socks on is a struggle most of the time. It eases off as the day goes by. I have a “ Backfriend “ ( a back support for using in soft chairs or car seats ) that I sit in most of the time when I’m watching TV, in the car etc.

Anything really physical like digging in the garden or lifting sacks out of the boot of the car is a no no. It’s been like that on and off for 40 years.

I remember seeing my osteopath and him saying to me  “ After the first sunny Sunday in spring on the Monday morning my phone never stops ringing. With all  the gardeners trying to get appointments to see me ! “

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces

1 hour ago, glen9mullan said:

Then the changes, 4-4-2 and boom we was a totally different team who could of got 3 or 4 goals.

We didn't go 4-4-2.

And we scored a set piece goal which completely changed the dynamic because City had to push out. Gave Rothwell some space to run into and then it was game over because they didn't have the quality to hit us back.

1 minute ago, JoeH said:

We didn't go 4-4-2.

And we scored a set piece goal which completely changed the dynamic because City had to push out. Gave Rothwell some space to run into and then it was game over because they didn't have the quality to hit us back.

Thats the key point. They didn't have the quality, but we still have them too many chances. It's a huge issue. It's why games are rarely straight forward. If Moncur was better, he curls that chance in near the end, then it's 2-1 and we get even more nervous and probably concede again. 

We need to be braver and trust ourselves to score again when winning , not just retreat back and give the opposition pot shots at goal, because we have seen enough times the better players will punish us, simple as that. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, garnersfags said:

More than ever, we need our hard-core fans to just reign-in the half-time booing. One minute you are praising the young squad, applauding Dolan etc, the next you are booing those very same players, without the 1st clue that it might dent their fragile confidence. Surely give them 10 games before you let your own depression and home life seep out in the form of booing and cat-calling of the youngest team in the division. 

Before you start, I'm as frustrated as anyone by Mowbray's generally negative tactics, and brainless substitutions etc etc, but I have never booed us off at half time, it's pointless and counter-productive, and many of us on here still do it. 

Please give it a quarter of a season before the bile is released. And if you don't agree with booing, challenge it, I do. 

The 45 minutes before booing = 0-0

The 45 minutes after booing = 2-0

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Paul Mani said:

Didn't you say similar 12-18 months ago?!

• Like 3

With Butterworth, my concern isn't so much that he looked knackered, more the way he was carrying himself in that phase. From his posture it looked to me like his back might have been acting up a bit.

Hope I'm wrong as despite not being on for even a full half, he was one of the most impactful players on the pitch.

Regarding our league position, and the tidal wave of optimism some fans are on (not so much on here) because of our unexpected good start...absolutely we would have all taken that before the season. But notes of caution, that I probably don't need to tell most on this forum:

We have been here before, and most of us know a good run is frequently followed by a death spiral under this manager.

We have ridden our luck at times and I wouldn't say we deserve the points haul we have. That said, I don't care about that, but results, it's just unlikely to last all season and we probably need to improve performances. I don't mean in TM's tippy tappy terms of keeping more possession.

Apart from WBA, who thoroughly outplayed us, the highest any of the teams we have played is placed, is 12th. The rest are 17th or lower. So they're almost exclusively teams who have had a bad start to the season (even if part of that is due to us).

For me, the squad is still too thin, the manager too shit and our midfield too easily overrun. I still expect us to be more likely to finish bottom half than top half. The good start might give us enough of a comfort blanket to not get drawn seriously into a relegation scrap though hopefully, especially if we can keep grinding out results a bit longer.

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

We need to be braver and trust ourselves to score again when winning , not just retreat back and give the opposition pot shots at goal, because we have seen enough times the better players will punish us, simple as that. 

I actually thought their chances at the end came from us being really far forward looking for the 2nd and looking for a 3rd. Rothwell and Travis kept getting caught past half way and having to track back.

I don't think we sat back at all...

3 hours ago, roverblue said:

Thought the manager got the starting 11 wrong last night but fair play for making the changes in the 2nd half to get the win.

Positives

• We look like a real attacking threat when we turn up the gas as shown by the two goal blitz on Saturday and last night. Just need to work out how to show that for longer periods in games.
  • The back four look really solid this season, Ayala solid and Pickering in particular has grown into the team the last few games and you can see them talking a lot and working together well.
  • Dolan has been class the last couple of games, loads of skill and work rate.

Negatives

• Central midfield is so weak, we have too many small technical players in a league where you need some beef and muscle. Buckley, Rothwell, Clarkson and even Travis all look powder puff against most teams we have come up against this season.
  • Travis is worrying me, looks miles off the player he looked pre-covid in terms of work rate, skill and ability.
  • Defensively the tracking from midfield was abysmal again last night and we were lucky one of the Hull lads bombing into the box didn't cost us a goal like on Saturday.

So basically we need a massive re-think in central midfield but other than that its looking good everywhere else. We might surprise ourselves this season and make a decent go of it.

I think we'd be alright if Trav was playing like he was in 2019. He used to totally dominate, now he gets left behind. Really strange. Must be the injuries?

We looked a teal team when the subs came on. Everyone in the correct positions and Trav and Rothwell started moping everything up as Hull couldn’t get out. The boy Khadra looks something else. Exciting. Breo can stay upfront and be awful but grab a goal a game if he wants. Arma was very similar in most games last year.

57 minutes ago, Paul Mani said:

I agree with what your saying and eventually I believe you will be right but as of right now Rothwell is more influential and important to the team than Buckley 

• Like 6