BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v Hull City (h) 14/9/2021

14 minutes ago, JoeH said:

I actually thought their chances at the end came from us being really far forward looking for the 2nd and looking for a 3rd. Rothwell and Travis kept getting caught past half way and having to track back.

I don't think we sat back at all...

No not totally I suppose, but the defence drops back and seems to let teams get shots off. We concede a fair few from long distance. Maybe it's a fitness thing being unable to keep the pressing intensity up, but we can't just let teams get shots off, not all are as toothless as Hull 

4 hours ago, pedrob2014 said:

I know that people wont agree with me on this but i think BBD is falling foul (pardon the pun)  with the new rules of refs trying to let play go more.

there were several times that he got the ball with back to goal and felt the touch and went down trying to buy the foul that players like Rhodes used to praised for "buying the foul" and getting us up the pitch,

however this season these type of foul arent being given

So, in other words he needs to stop cheating so much?

He'd be a better player if he wasn't always looking to go down like a sack of spuds, that much is for sure. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, MarkBRFC said:

Didn't you say similar 12-18 months ago?!

Nope, 12-18 months ago, BEFORE Buckley had even broken into the team and certainly before I had seen him play properly I said that coaches at the club believed 100% that he was ‘the one’. I was also present at a game and in the players lounge where two Premier league clubs were at the match specifically in the hope of seeing him play in the first team. The tall on the night was that it would take an 8 figure sum for Rovers to part with him THEN such was the belief in him. The chat was open…at that point, as I said, I had no personal opinion as I hadn’t seen enough of him.

However, it’s pretty clear to see now having watched in more games what they see in him. He’s two or three steps ahead of most players in our team in his head. He’s a real quality act….I’m very confident that Buckley will be our best player by some difference within the next 12-18 months…he needs a run and to continue developing physically but it’s not rocket science! 👍🏼

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Paul Mani said:

Nope, 12-18 months ago, BEFORE Buckley had even broken into the team and certainly before I had seen him play properly I said that coaches at the club believed 100% that he was ‘the one’. I was also present at a game and in the players lounge where two Premier league clubs were at the match specifically in the hope of seeing him play in the first team. The tall on the night was that it would take an 8 figure sum for Rovers to part with him THEN such was the belief in him. The chat was open…at that point, as I said, I had no personal opinion as I hadn’t seen enough of him.

However, it’s pretty clear to see now having watched in more games what they see in him. He’s two or three steps ahead of most players in our team in his head. He’s a real quality act….I’m very confident that Buckley will be our best player by some difference within the next 12-18 months…he needs a run and to continue developing physically but it’s not rocket science! 👍🏼

Absolutely zero change we would have turned down an 8 figure bid for Buckley 18 months ago. We wouldn't turn it down now and really, should we? 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Paul Mani said:

That might be true, but it might not be for the reasons you think.

• Like 1

I like Buckley and, as well as being good on the ball, think he gets through a good amount of work too, getting stuck in more than I ever noticed previously.

If he is to reach his potential however he needs to be played in his position every game and not messed about like last night. He should always be ahead of Clarkson for a midfield spot, one because he's our own player but also Clarkson has been almost invisible in the two games I've seen him.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Paul Mani said:

Buckley is 22 next month - not particularly young to be breaking into the first team.

Perhaps he won't develop physically beyond his current stature. Has he got the mental strength to impose himself ? There are a lot of aspects of an individual player that make it impossible to know how they will develop.

Many players show potential but don't fulfil it for one reason or another. I hope your confidence is rewarded but predicting the future is probably harder than rocket science.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, roverblue said:

Negatives

• Travis is worrying me, looks miles off the player he looked pre-covid in terms of work rate, skill and ability.
  • Defensively the tracking from midfield was abysmal again last night and we were lucky one of the Hull lads bombing into the box didn't cost us a goal like on Saturday.

These two are connected. 

Travis is worrying me and has been since his return from injury. Just hasn't seemed quite the same. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Absolutely zero change we would have turned down an 8 figure bid for Buckley 18 months ago. We wouldn't turn it down now and really, should we? 

Who knows? Tbf the people chatting about it wouldn’t have been dealing with bids…but the chat was that it’s take 8 figures for us to part with him. I was surprised as anyone because he’d barely even played fir the first team!!

Although I knew a few fans who watched him in the youth set up and thought he was immense.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Crimpshrine said:

Buckley is 22 next month - not particularly young to be breaking into the first team.

Perhaps he won't develop physically beyond his current stature. Has he got the mental strength to impose himself ? There are a lot of aspects of an individual player that make it impossible to know how they will develop.

Many players show potential but don't fulfil it for one reason or another. I hope your confidence is rewarded but predicting the future is probably harder than rocket science.

100% correct. That’s why the next 12-18 months are so important. He needs to be running games by then to have reached his potential.

I reckon that’s what he’ll do.

5 minutes ago, TheRoversReturn said:

These two are connected. 

Travis is worrying me and has been since his return from injury. Just hasn't seemed quite the same. 

Trav is thought of as a top pro with amazing physical attributes but he’s not a patch on the likes of Butterworth, Buckley or Clarkson for ability. Once he’s fully fit and inti his rhythm he’ll effect games like only Trav can - the dirty, ugly stuff which every team needs  

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

Hull manager moaning that their disallowed goal shouldn't have been. I wasn't convinced by any of the offside calls made against either side up until that point tbh, but I didn't get a replay or a clear angle. Did anybody get a good look at it?

Linesman put his flag up - so it was offside 🙂

I did wonder at first whether he had flagged for a foul on Ayala in the build up. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

Hull manager moaning that their disallowed goal shouldn't have been. I wasn't convinced by any of the offside calls made against either side up until that point tbh, but I didn't get a replay or a clear angle. Did anybody get a good look at it?

We were pretty much in line and thought he was onside as the ball didn't appear to be played forwards.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, DavidMailsTightPerm said:

Damien Duff looked knackered in the warm up - never mind 25 minutes into the match 🙂

I'm sure Graeme Souness made him lose about a stone in weight and he was a better player for it.

In fact he did:

Duff has shed the stone in weight since tough taskmaster Souness took over at Ewood Park a year and he is starting to feel the benefit of his new, trim figure.

"I've always been a big eater and found it difficult not to pile on the weight," said Duff on the eve of tomorrow's big televised East Lancashire clash with big derby rivals Burnley.

Source: https://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/news/6037406.loser-duffs-on-a-winner/

3 hours ago, Oldgregg86 said:

Whose Stuart monroe ?

what’s his story ?

Munro was a big money signing from Glasgow Rangers ( £350,000 ) when Jack Walker gave Don Mackay the cheque book to play with. He was injury plagued in his early days and only actually played 1 first team game for us. By the time he was fit again Kenny Dalglish had taken over from Don, signed Alan Wright for the left back spot, and Munro was stuck in the Central League team. Even when Wright was unavailable Tony Dobson was preferred as a stand in left back which tells me all I need to know really.

Munro was allowed to go on a free to Bristol City in February 1993.

• Like 2

I like the look of Khadra and thought he learned that he didn't to take his man on every time but its was good debut for him. 

Delighted with Butterworth's impact yesterday who I would start at Barnsley. 

One of main concern is the role of Clarkson and not sure he was the type of player we need. But I hope for him and us that he shows in future games why we signed him. Its a long season and this is his first taste of championship football

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

I like the look of Khadra and thought he learned that he didn't to take his man on every time but its was good debut for him. 

Delighted with Butterworth's impact yesterday who I would start at Barnsley. 

One of main concern is the role of Clarkson and not sure he was the type of player we need. But I hope for him and us that he shows in future games why we signed him. Its a long season and this is his first taste of championship football

I don't know if Butterworth has 90 minutes in him yet. Like others have said, he wasn't looking fully fit at the end of his cameo. Not too surprising as he hasn't been getting u23 games or much time for our first team, but like I said before I also suspect from the way he was moving that he was feeling his back a bit.

I'd start Khadra and bring Butterworth on at around 60 minutes as an impact sub, until he has more sustained running in him.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

I don't know if Butterworth has 90 minutes in him yet. Like others have said, he wasn't looking fully fit at the end of his cameo. Not too surprising as he hasn't been getting u23 games or much time for our first team, but like I said before I also suspect from the way he was moving that he was feeling his back a bit.

I'd start Khadra and bring Butterworth on at around 60 minutes as an impact sub, until he has more sustained running in him.

I would start with Butterworth and replace him with Khadra around 60 mins who could use his pace and tricky against Barnsley tiring players

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

No way 

All about opinions I guess... but please share 2 CM's who you think are of worse ability than Smallwood, *who played over 50 games for Rovers in the past 35 years*. (No Etuhu, Murphy, etc who didn't make it to 30 games ish.)

I'm sure the popular answers will be Andrews and Lowe. But I would stand by my opinion that Smallwood was the worst of the 3 (not even that close) and was only treated with higher regard then he deserved simply because he replaced Jason Lowe - the walking scapegoat in 2016-17.

I cannot think of many worse regular footballers our team has had in many a decade. Being serious. Him, Christian Walton, Chris Brown, Elliott Ward and Paul Caddis would make a pretty abysmal 5 a side team.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, RoversClitheroe said:

Mowbray was spot on yesterday, set the team up completely wrong, make them look absolutely shit, and then get lucky with subs then make us look average.

He did get the initial team wrong, but the timing of the subs and how they were used won us the game really. I share your desire for a managerial change but you aren't doing yourself many favours looking at everything with such bias, he wasn't lucky with his subs and it wasn't a masterplan to make anyone look shit.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

I would start with Butterworth and replace him with Khadra around 60 mins who could use his pace and tricky against Barnsley tiring players

It seems to all of us that Butterworth can only play for 20 minutes at present. I hope it's because of lack of match fitness and not his back again. That's why he cannot start at present.

• Like 1