BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v Hull City (h) 14/9/2021

1 minute ago, JoeH said:

We didn't go 4-4-2.

And we scored a set piece goal which completely changed the dynamic because City had to push out. Gave Rothwell some space to run into and then it was game over because they didn't have the quality to hit us back.

Thats the key point. They didn't have the quality, but we still have them too many chances. It's a huge issue. It's why games are rarely straight forward. If Moncur was better, he curls that chance in near the end, then it's 2-1 and we get even more nervous and probably concede again. 

We need to be braver and trust ourselves to score again when winning , not just retreat back and give the opposition pot shots at goal, because we have seen enough times the better players will punish us, simple as that. 

13 hours ago, garnersfags said:

More than ever, we need our hard-core fans to just reign-in the half-time booing. One minute you are praising the young squad, applauding Dolan etc, the next you are booing those very same players, without the 1st clue that it might dent their fragile confidence. Surely give them 10 games before you let your own depression and home life seep out in the form of booing and cat-calling of the youngest team in the division. 

Before you start, I'm as frustrated as anyone by Mowbray's generally negative tactics, and brainless substitutions etc etc, but I have never booed us off at half time, it's pointless and counter-productive, and many of us on here still do it. 

Please give it a quarter of a season before the bile is released. And if you don't agree with booing, challenge it, I do. 

The 45 minutes before booing = 0-0

The 45 minutes after booing = 2-0

36 minutes ago, Paul Mani said:

Rothwell is fantastic, when he fancies it. But Buckley is a better footballer now than Rothwell. There will be light years between them once Buckley fully matures.…as in, Rovers fans will look back, shake their heads, laugh and reminisce about the time X said that Rothwell or Stefan Mols was better (I find this amusing now btw).

Buckley, right now is far ahead of even the likes of Trav in terms of his understanding of the game and potential. Trav is physically pretty awesome and so impacts games more at the moment. But they’ll all be pretty much in Buckley’s shadow within 12-18 months I reckon.

Didn't you say similar 12-18 months ago?!

With Butterworth, my concern isn't so much that he looked knackered, more the way he was carrying himself in that phase. From his posture it looked to me like his back might have been acting up a bit.

Hope I'm wrong as despite not being on for even a full half, he was one of the most impactful players on the pitch.

Regarding our league position, and the tidal wave of optimism some fans are on (not so much on here) because of our unexpected good start...absolutely we would have all taken that before the season. But notes of caution, that I probably don't need to tell most on this forum:

We have been here before, and most of us know a good run is frequently followed by a death spiral under this manager.

We have ridden our luck at times and I wouldn't say we deserve the points haul we have. That said, I don't care about that, but results, it's just unlikely to last all season and we probably need to improve performances. I don't mean in TM's tippy tappy terms of keeping more possession.

Apart from WBA, who thoroughly outplayed us, the highest any of the teams we have played is placed, is 12th. The rest are 17th or lower. So they're almost exclusively teams who have had a bad start to the season (even if part of that is due to us).

For me, the squad is still too thin, the manager too shit and our midfield too easily overrun. I still expect us to be more likely to finish bottom half than top half. The good start might give us enough of a comfort blanket to not get drawn seriously into a relegation scrap though hopefully, especially if we can keep grinding out results a bit longer.

6 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

We need to be braver and trust ourselves to score again when winning , not just retreat back and give the opposition pot shots at goal, because we have seen enough times the better players will punish us, simple as that. 

I actually thought their chances at the end came from us being really far forward looking for the 2nd and looking for a 3rd. Rothwell and Travis kept getting caught past half way and having to track back.

I don't think we sat back at all...

3 hours ago, roverblue said:

Thought the manager got the starting 11 wrong last night but fair play for making the changes in the 2nd half to get the win.

Positives

• We look like a real attacking threat when we turn up the gas as shown by the two goal blitz on Saturday and last night. Just need to work out how to show that for longer periods in games.
  • The back four look really solid this season, Ayala solid and Pickering in particular has grown into the team the last few games and you can see them talking a lot and working together well.
  • Dolan has been class the last couple of games, loads of skill and work rate.

Negatives

• Central midfield is so weak, we have too many small technical players in a league where you need some beef and muscle. Buckley, Rothwell, Clarkson and even Travis all look powder puff against most teams we have come up against this season.
  • Travis is worrying me, looks miles off the player he looked pre-covid in terms of work rate, skill and ability.
  • Defensively the tracking from midfield was abysmal again last night and we were lucky one of the Hull lads bombing into the box didn't cost us a goal like on Saturday.

So basically we need a massive re-think in central midfield but other than that its looking good everywhere else. We might surprise ourselves this season and make a decent go of it.

I think we'd be alright if Trav was playing like he was in 2019. He used to totally dominate, now he gets left behind. Really strange. Must be the injuries?

We looked a teal team when the subs came on. Everyone in the correct positions and Trav and Rothwell started moping everything up as Hull couldn’t get out. The boy Khadra looks something else. Exciting. Breo can stay upfront and be awful but grab a goal a game if he wants. Arma was very similar in most games last year.

57 minutes ago, Paul Mani said:

Rothwell is fantastic, when he fancies it. But Buckley is a better footballer now than Rothwell. There will be light years between them once Buckley fully matures.…as in, Rovers fans will look back, shake their heads, laugh and reminisce about the time X said that Rothwell or Stefan Mols was better (I find this amusing now btw).

Buckley, right now is far ahead of even the likes of Trav in terms of his understanding of the game and potential. Trav is physically pretty awesome and so impacts games more at the moment. But they’ll all be pretty much in Buckley’s shadow within 12-18 months I reckon.

I agree with what your saying and eventually I believe you will be right but as of right now Rothwell is more influential and important to the team than Buckley 

14 minutes ago, JoeH said:

I actually thought their chances at the end came from us being really far forward looking for the 2nd and looking for a 3rd. Rothwell and Travis kept getting caught past half way and having to track back.

I don't think we sat back at all...

No not totally I suppose, but the defence drops back and seems to let teams get shots off. We concede a fair few from long distance. Maybe it's a fitness thing being unable to keep the pressing intensity up, but we can't just let teams get shots off, not all are as toothless as Hull 

4 hours ago, pedrob2014 said:

I know that people wont agree with me on this but i think BBD is falling foul (pardon the pun)  with the new rules of refs trying to let play go more.

there were several times that he got the ball with back to goal and felt the touch and went down trying to buy the foul that players like Rhodes used to praised for "buying the foul" and getting us up the pitch,

however this season these type of foul arent being given

So, in other words he needs to stop cheating so much?

He'd be a better player if he wasn't always looking to go down like a sack of spuds, that much is for sure. 

28 minutes ago, MarkBRFC said:

Didn't you say similar 12-18 months ago?!

Nope, 12-18 months ago, BEFORE Buckley had even broken into the team and certainly before I had seen him play properly I said that coaches at the club believed 100% that he was ‘the one’. I was also present at a game and in the players lounge where two Premier league clubs were at the match specifically in the hope of seeing him play in the first team. The tall on the night was that it would take an 8 figure sum for Rovers to part with him THEN such was the belief in him. The chat was open…at that point, as I said, I had no personal opinion as I hadn’t seen enough of him.

However, it’s pretty clear to see now having watched in more games what they see in him. He’s two or three steps ahead of most players in our team in his head. He’s a real quality act….I’m very confident that Buckley will be our best player by some difference within the next 12-18 months…he needs a run and to continue developing physically but it’s not rocket science! 👍🏼

1 minute ago, Paul Mani said:

Nope, 12-18 months ago, BEFORE Buckley had even broken into the team and certainly before I had seen him play properly I said that coaches at the club believed 100% that he was ‘the one’. I was also present at a game and in the players lounge where two Premier league clubs were at the match specifically in the hope of seeing him play in the first team. The tall on the night was that it would take an 8 figure sum for Rovers to part with him THEN such was the belief in him. The chat was open…at that point, as I said, I had no personal opinion as I hadn’t seen enough of him.

However, it’s pretty clear to see now having watched in more games what they see in him. He’s two or three steps ahead of most players in our team in his head. He’s a real quality act….I’m very confident that Buckley will be our best player by some difference within the next 12-18 months…he needs a run and to continue developing physically but it’s not rocket science! 👍🏼

Absolutely zero change we would have turned down an 8 figure bid for Buckley 18 months ago. We wouldn't turn it down now and really, should we? 

11 minutes ago, Paul Mani said:

That might be true, but it might not be for the reasons you think.

I like Buckley and, as well as being good on the ball, think he gets through a good amount of work too, getting stuck in more than I ever noticed previously.

If he is to reach his potential however he needs to be played in his position every game and not messed about like last night. He should always be ahead of Clarkson for a midfield spot, one because he's our own player but also Clarkson has been almost invisible in the two games I've seen him.

11 minutes ago, Paul Mani said:

Buckley is 22 next month - not particularly young to be breaking into the first team.

Perhaps he won't develop physically beyond his current stature. Has he got the mental strength to impose himself ? There are a lot of aspects of an individual player that make it impossible to know how they will develop.

Many players show potential but don't fulfil it for one reason or another. I hope your confidence is rewarded but predicting the future is probably harder than rocket science.

3 hours ago, roverblue said:

Negatives

• Travis is worrying me, looks miles off the player he looked pre-covid in terms of work rate, skill and ability.
  • Defensively the tracking from midfield was abysmal again last night and we were lucky one of the Hull lads bombing into the box didn't cost us a goal like on Saturday.

These two are connected. 

Travis is worrying me and has been since his return from injury. Just hasn't seemed quite the same. 

16 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Absolutely zero change we would have turned down an 8 figure bid for Buckley 18 months ago. We wouldn't turn it down now and really, should we? 

Who knows? Tbf the people chatting about it wouldn’t have been dealing with bids…but the chat was that it’s take 8 figures for us to part with him. I was surprised as anyone because he’d barely even played fir the first team!!

Although I knew a few fans who watched him in the youth set up and thought he was immense.

3 minutes ago, Crimpshrine said:

Buckley is 22 next month - not particularly young to be breaking into the first team.

Perhaps he won't develop physically beyond his current stature. Has he got the mental strength to impose himself ? There are a lot of aspects of an individual player that make it impossible to know how they will develop.

Many players show potential but don't fulfil it for one reason or another. I hope your confidence is rewarded but predicting the future is probably harder than rocket science.

100% correct. That’s why the next 12-18 months are so important. He needs to be running games by then to have reached his potential.

I reckon that’s what he’ll do.

5 minutes ago, TheRoversReturn said:

These two are connected. 

Travis is worrying me and has been since his return from injury. Just hasn't seemed quite the same. 

Trav is thought of as a top pro with amazing physical attributes but he’s not a patch on the likes of Butterworth, Buckley or Clarkson for ability. Once he’s fully fit and inti his rhythm he’ll effect games like only Trav can - the dirty, ugly stuff which every team needs  

Hull manager moaning that their disallowed goal shouldn't have been. I wasn't convinced by any of the offside calls made against either side up until that point tbh, but I didn't get a replay or a clear angle. Did anybody get a good look at it?

3 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

Hull manager moaning that their disallowed goal shouldn't have been. I wasn't convinced by any of the offside calls made against either side up until that point tbh, but I didn't get a replay or a clear angle. Did anybody get a good look at it?

Linesman put his flag up - so it was offside 🙂

I did wonder at first whether he had flagged for a foul on Ayala in the build up. 

7 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

We were pretty much in line and thought he was onside as the ball didn't appear to be played forwards.

2 hours ago, DavidMailsTightPerm said:

Damien Duff looked knackered in the warm up - never mind 25 minutes into the match 🙂

I'm sure Graeme Souness made him lose about a stone in weight and he was a better player for it.

In fact he did:

Duff has shed the stone in weight since tough taskmaster Souness took over at Ewood Park a year and he is starting to feel the benefit of his new, trim figure.

"I've always been a big eater and found it difficult not to pile on the weight," said Duff on the eve of tomorrow's big televised East Lancashire clash with big derby rivals Burnley.

Source: https://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/news/6037406.loser-duffs-on-a-winner/