BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v Hull City (h) 14/9/2021

3 hours ago, Angry_Pirate said:

All about opinions I guess... but please share 2 CM's who you think are of worse ability than Smallwood, *who played over 50 games for Rovers in the past 35 years*. (No Etuhu, Murphy, etc who didn't make it to 30 games ish.)

I'm sure the popular answers will be Andrews and Lowe. But I would stand by my opinion that Smallwood was the worst of the 3 (not even that close) and was only treated with higher regard then he deserved simply because he replaced Jason Lowe - the walking scapegoat in 2016-17.

I cannot think of many worse regular footballers our team has had in many a decade. Being serious. Him, Christian Walton, Chris Brown, Elliott Ward and Paul Caddis would make a pretty abysmal 5 a side team.

Elliott Ward was the worst outfield player, although Gordon Greer would run him close. Walton awful too. I don't think Caddis and Brown were as bad as what we saw. 

Would people really think Andrews is that bad? I don't think that at all. Lowe is a given in midfield and well with your criteria now that they had to play over 50 games, I suppose that doesn't work in Smallwoods favour. 

2 hours ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Elliott Ward was the worst outfield player, although Gordon Greer would run him close. Walton awful too. I don't think Caddis and Brown were as bad as what we saw. 

Would people really think Andrews is that bad? I don't think that at all. Lowe is a given in midfield and well with your criteria now that they had to play over 50 games, I suppose that doesn't work in Smallwoods favour. 

Andrews was one of the worst players I've ever seen. Only player that I've ever seen tackle himself in his own teams box and manage to give a penalty away.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

He did get the initial team wrong, but the timing of the subs and how they were used won us the game really. I share your desire for a managerial change but you aren't doing yourself many favours looking at everything with such bias, he wasn't lucky with his subs and it wasn't a masterplan to make anyone look shit.

I think he was being tongue in cheek rather than literal?

7 hours ago, Angry_Pirate said:

All about opinions I guess... but please share 2 CM's who you think are of worse ability than Smallwood, *who played over 50 games for Rovers in the past 35 years*. (No Etuhu, Murphy, etc who didn't make it to 30 games ish.)

I'm sure the popular answers will be Andrews and Lowe. But I would stand by my opinion that Smallwood was the worst of the 3 (not even that close) and was only treated with higher regard then he deserved simply because he replaced Jason Lowe - the walking scapegoat in 2016-17.

I cannot think of many worse regular footballers our team has had in many a decade. Being serious. Him, Christian Walton, Chris Brown, Elliott Ward and Paul Caddis would make a pretty abysmal 5 a side team.

Lee Williamson, Lowe and Akpan. And Murphy and Etuhu even though you've discarded them for arbitrary reasons. Lowe in particular was far, far worse than Smallwood. The worst player I've ever seen clock in a gobsmacking 173 appearances for us.

Abysmal player. He could run a lot and that was literally it. Terrible at passing, tackling, shooting (except that one beauty), positioning, the lot. Brain dead and talentless.

Oh and Murphy did reach 30ish, unfortunately. 33 to be exact.

Andrews was comfortably a better player than Smallwood though, at this level.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, bluebruce said:

Lee Williamson, Lowe and Akpan. And Murphy and Etuhu even though you've discarded them for arbitrary reasons. Lowe in particular was far, far worse than Smallwood. The worst player I've ever seen clock in a gobsmacking 173 appearances for us.

Abysmal player. He could run a lot and that was literally it. Terrible at passing, tackling, shooting (except that one beauty), positioning, the lot. Brain dead and talentless.

Oh and Murphy did reach 30ish, unfortunately. 33 to be exact.

Andrews was comfortably a better player than Smallwood though, at this level.

The first time I saw Lowe I couldn’t believe how bad he was. Apart from athleticism he had nothing.

• Like 3

Smallwood was better than Lowe and look where they are now and have been since they left.  Andrews though was Pele compared to these two he was just way out of his depth jumping up to the Prem at 29 or whatever he was.

Williamson, Akpan and Lowe my god, nothing against the lads they all put a shift in but should have been nowhere near a club with upper championship aspirations.  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

The first time I saw Lowe I couldn’t believe how bad he was. Apart from athleticism he had nothing.

It was Kean again who started all that rot that lasted years and the worst thing is Mowbray allegedly wanted to keep him !

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, tomphil said:

Smallwood was better than Lowe and look where they are now and have been since they left.  Andrews though was Pele compared to these two he was just way out of his depth jumping up to the Prem at 29 or whatever he was.

Williamson, Akpan and Lowe my god, nothing against the lads they all put a shift in but should have been nowhere near a club with upper championship aspirations.  

Andrews did once save a certain goal by heading it off the line and that's the only positive memory for me from his entire career with us!

He ran up and down, pointing where he thought someone else should do something but without actually touching the ball. himself.

He should have been designated non-playing captain!

• Like 1

Smallwood was a breath of fresh air when he first arrived and that was mainly because we had become so used to abject performances from Lowe. He was everything that Lowe wasn't and played a key role in our promotion from L1. However, moving up a level, it became clear that Smallwood wasn't good enough for where we wanted to be (which we have never got near).

I'd say Williamson and Lowe were worse than Smallwood. Akpan and Smallwood, it's a toss of a coin for me. I can't believe some of the players we have seen at our club in recent times. They would never have got near the place if we weren't in such a mess. Mokoena was like Makelele in comparison to those mentioned above. I miss 'the axe'.

• Like 6

2 hours ago, SuperBrfc said:

Smallwood was a breath of fresh air when he first arrived and that was mainly because we had become so used to abject performances from Lowe. He was everything that Lowe wasn't and played a key role in our promotion from L1. However, moving up a level, it became clear that Smallwood wasn't good enough for where we wanted to be (which we have never got near).

I'd say Williamson and Lowe were worse than Smallwood. Akpan and Smallwood, it's a toss of a coin for me. I can't believe some of the players we have seen at our club in recent times. They would never have got near the place if we weren't in such a mess. Mokoena was like Makelele in comparison to those mentioned above. I miss 'the axe'.

Akpan was the midfield equivalent of Gallagher - he could "trap" the ball further than I can kick it.