BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Attendances: A cause for concern

2 hours ago, Exiled_Rover said:

Hi, I'm that fan... and I'm still going to Ewood (I'm a glutton for punishment).

The Allardyce days were dark ones indeed. Awful, boring football and a knobhead manager. 

Is that the Allardyce who had Robert Lewandowski lined up before he was stupidly sacked? 

• Like 1

So just over 2000 tickets have sold out in a few days for Blackpool. Suspect we could have sold twice that had they gone on general sale to the non season ticket holders.

Is the biggest factor the reasonable price of £23 or just the jolly boys day out on the ale?

I must admit I'm looking forward to it a lot more than a Tuesday night at home to Hull....

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Ossydave said:

So just over 2000 tickets have sold out in a few days for Blackpool. Suspect we could have sold twice that had they gone on general sale to the non season ticket holders.

Is the biggest factor the reasonable price of £23 or just the jolly boys day out on the ale?

I must admit I'm looking forward to it a lot more than a Tuesday night at home to Hull....

I'm really hoping more go on sale, as a season ticket holder I really wanted to go and had to wait till Friday cash wise, wanted to take the daughters. I'm holding on to hope that blackpool will want more cash into the club and put more on sale 

Re comparisons with Barnsley I think Mowbray is rubbing off on people. Currently they have more fans willing to watch them than rovers fans willing to watch rovers and are a better club than this rovers. No doubt about that. But just looking at a few comparisons between the clubs-

Barnsley: Last 10 years average attendance 10,000, 2000s 10-15,000, 90s 5-10,000, 60s-80s 5-10,000, 1900s-60s 5-10,000

Rovers: last 10 years 10-14,000, 2000’s 20-25,000, 90s 10-25,000, 70s-80s a similar 5-10,000, 60s 15-20,000, 1900s-60s 10-20,000

Barnsley highest attendance: 40,000

Rovers highest attendance: 62,000

Barnsley: 1 season in the top flight

Rovers: 60 ish years in the top flight

Barnsley honours: 1 fa cup

Rovers: 3 leagues, 6 fa cups, 1 league cup. Major honours in 3 centuries.

Barnsley highest transfer paid: £1.5 million

Received: £4.5 million for Ashley ward no less

Rovers highest transfer: £8 million 

Received: £18 million. 

So other than being similar now and having similar attendances in the 70 and 80s the two clubs are entirely different animals for me. Ironically, as a direct result of the Venkys we can only now dream of being like Barnsley as a football club. 

• Like 2

Clubs like Barnsley have a solid core of attending fans, but every now and then most clubs will have a good/exciting season and sell a fair few more STs on the back of it - which is what we are seeing with their crowds this season after the play off run.

We, on the other trundle along between about 10th and 20th in the second division for a decade, with no hint of spending anytime challenging (we even buggered up a promotion feel good factor by banging up prices and doing F-all marketing that summer). So it’s no wonder that we tread water attendance wise at best, and lose fans long term - but then why wouldn’t we with no momentum on the pitch, no engagement, no marketing and ever rising prices?

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 3

Don't worry i read the other night Mowbray is an evoltionist evolving the club with youth. It takes time to be a Brentford but we'll be a Barnsley in another season or two.

This was in ref to giving him a new contract, i honestly give up with some of our lot. I was going to ask WTF hes been doing these last few years but really it's not worth the bother. 

Looks like Bolton will have 20k on today, tenner for adults and a fiver kids.

Do people think we'd see a similar uplift? I have my doubts, although I suppose they are still riding the promotion wave combined with a promising start. The Oxford game seems such a long time ago now....

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Ossydave said:

Do people think we'd see a similar uplift? I have my doubts, although I suppose they are still riding the promotion wave combined with a promising start. The Oxford game seems such a long time ago now....

In spite our respective leagues there’s not 1% of me that wouldn’t swap club positions with Bolton. They’ve come through their shit to a point. We’re slap bang in the middle of ours and I see no light at the end of the tunnel. 

• Like 7

2 minutes ago, matt83 said:

In spite our respective leagues there’s not 1% of me that wouldn’t swap club positions with Bolton. They’ve come through their shit to a point. We’re slap bang in the middle of ours and I see no light at the end of the tunnel. 

I agree Matt. We met a group of fifty something Bolton fans when we were coming back from Millwall recently. They were really upbeat about their future and full of praise for their new owners. Meanwhile back at Deadwood...........

• Like 1

1 minute ago, arbitro said:

I agree Matt. We met a group of fifty something Bolton fans when we were coming back from Millwall recently. They were really upbeat about their future and full of praise for their new owners. Meanwhile back at Deadwood...........

This is off a Noblot fan I know a few days ago: 

“We’ve sold 19k already, it’s one of those family fun day things so reduced prices but nevertheless very good. It is the first time in a long time that there is a feel good factor around the club, we have good owners, are playing the most entertaining football since the okocha days, and we seem on the up!”

• Like 2

7 hours ago, jim mk2 said:

Is that the Allardyce who had Robert Lewandowski lined up before he was stupidly sacked? 

It is not either or though, is it?

The Allardyce days were joyless-hoofball, "throwing" games against the top sides.....but what came after was sickening.

Edited by Leonard Venkhater
  • Like 7

18 minutes ago, Ossydave said:

20,000 if we did something similar? 

No, a) because they’ve already sold 11,000 STs in comparison to our 7k, so straight away they have considerably fewer match day tickets to sell to get to that number. b. they have a feel good factor around the club that we just don’t have.

But again it just shows how important it is to build up your support with a solid core of ST holders, John Williams never forgot that, these fools aren’t even arsed in attempting to try and increase or even maintain the numbers coming through the turnstiles.

• Like 2

No point crying about it now though our lot missed the trick after promotion and the Oxford game. That day showed there was support there, yes a one off occasion and we'd never get that many every week even if it was a tenner.

But it showed the interest was spiked again and no reason why 15k home turn outs couldn't be averaged with the right pricing. 

However they took that opportunity to drive the price up, Waggot wants rovers pricing on a par with a lot of bigger, Southern clubs etc by the looks of it.  The man has no idea but it's not rocket science keep shoving prices up whilst the club goes nowhere or backwards and all you're doing is covering fresh shortfalls.

It's managed decline that's exactly what it is and it needs nipping in the bud before it becomes terminal. I'm convinced this Coventrio mob would happily have 5k in the stadium paying even more in prices if it kept them in their comfort zones.

Aside from one offs where we might get just a few thousand more on cheap tickets the ONLY way to drive Rovers crowds forwards, without promotion, is a season ticket deal like Huddersfield and others have done in the past.

Re-engage, get a good 5k back in and rebuild with the aim of keeping them. 

• Like 7

8 hours ago, jim mk2 said:

Lewandowski coming to sign here was Pre Venkys Jim

3 hours ago, Ossydave said:

I am going cos I want watch Rovers playing Blackpool, local derby and met up with a few Blackpool friends from Work for few drinks. Plus I guess the good form currently is another factor. 

2 hours ago, matt83 said:

Re comparisons with Barnsley I think Mowbray is rubbing off on people. 

I guess the recruitment side how they scout, analysis and recruit players from overseas that impress me more where has we only used our Scouting network to sign 2 players. So why were Rovers under Mowbray so reluctant to bring in more Players from Europe? 

14 hours ago, Bad Boy said:

Absolutely no idea.  They are business men, they come from and live in Blackburn and have their HQ in the town - that is a fairly decent starting position for me.  What do you think?

Well firstly I would want to know are they Blackburn Rovers fans? I heard they were Manchester United fans

Plus any they even interested in buying the club? and how are they going to buy the club and whats their plans? 

Also do Venkys want to sale? I don't see it myself. 

why are you pushing them so far?

Edited by chaddyrovers