BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Attendances: A cause for concern

6 hours ago, magicalmortensleftpeg said:

Looks like half the upper BE is available online for the Cardiff game. Not sure if it’ll actually allow you buy a ticket but it is showing as available on the stadium map. Odd.

They've been giving away tickets in there to local kids groups etc this season so probably another one on Sat.

More and more of our fanbase reside outside Blackburn, yet if you don’t live within the arbitrary borders of the BwD council area you’ll see bugger all from the club.

If you’d have said a decade ago that we’d be trailing Accrington bloody Stanley in engaging kids in long standing Rovers heartlands like Rishton and Ossy you’d have been laughed at, yet here we are.

• Like 9

We don't live that near Blackburn anymore we moved to flixton village in trafford, at my daughters school the pta approached united for a raffle gift they got a signed shirt, then 30 bootbags with flag, mini football, teddy and hat in. So basically a gift for every child in the year. When i met SW a two years ago he said the club was looking into sending scarves out to new babys etc thats never happened 

2 minutes ago, PeteJD13 said:

We don't live that near Blackburn anymore we moved to flixton village in trafford, at my daughters school the pta approached united for a raffle gift they got a signed shirt, then 30 bootbags with flag, mini football, teddy and hat in. So basically a gift for every child in the year. When i met SW a two years ago he said the club was looking into sending scarves out to new babys etc thats never happened 

At least he is looking into it !

• Like 1

The failure of the Club to take any interest or make any effort in areas outside of the narrow confines of BwDBC I think is perhaps the most tragic and damaging thing that they have done, and takes some doing.

I can perhaps forgive a newcomer to the Club and area who starts off with the expectation that the vast majority or all our support is in the town in which we are based. I imagine that this is the case at the majority of Football League clubs, and therefore quite rightly the majority of efforts are concentrated on those towns and cities rather than elsewhere.

That is not the case at Rovers. And it is only going to get worse. Those running the Club should be aware of that by now and if they aren't then they aren't doing their jobs properly.

I wouldn't be surprised if a majority of season ticket holders and match attenders at Ewood a season were people who live outside of BwDBC. Maybe it wouldn't be a majority but it would certainly be a substantial percentage. I also reckon that a lot of lapsed or former season ticket holders will not live in Blackburn or Darwen, and I also strongly believe that the most potential for growth lies outside of BwD - in surrounding areas such as Ribble Valley, South Ribble, Hyndburn and Rossendale.

A refusal or avoidance of tapping into those areas is a recipe for disaster. Whilst attempts to engage the population of BwD are at times admirable restricting ourselves to these areas many of which are in groups who have no tradition of following football clubs is restricting the club and causing untold damage.

This all happening at a time when the Dingles can rely on PL football and income to entice people and Stanley are undercutting us in our back yard whilst also making far more serious attempts to create a new generation of support by targeting primary school kids and families.

It seems that there is some sort of belief or gentleman's agreement between clubs that Hyndburn is now Stanley's area for them to work on and we have to just focus on BWD.

I'm afraid if that is the case then the Club is going to slowly die.

It is also completely illogical, because Hyndburn is not Accrington, many parts of Hyndburn are as near to Blackburn as Accrington and even if they weren't this is a free market and it is our back yard. It is the equivalent of the dingles not promoting themselves in Nelson/Colne because they already have their own clubs or Preston stopping at the River Ribble because they don't want to upset Bamber Bridge or Chorley.

So when we have the 'Next Gen' thing at Ewood and it is allocated exclusively to people from BwD I would love the club to explain why this isn't expanded to other Rovers supporting areas that are getting left behind. It is unforgiveable.

I thought the Club had abandoned this nonsensical attitude but it seems not.

• Like 6

Council areas are often completely arbitrary anyway, many towns and villages just bolted together by civil servants with a map in the 1970s .

Rishton, as an example, is part of the Blackburn post town with a BB1 postcode, yet those fools down at Ewood are happy to just not bother with such areas and leave it to another club to have free reign just because they happen to have different coloured bins?

You may be surprised at the number of Rovers fans in Preston including our very own ‘Tulketh Blues’.

If you watch a game at Chorley FC you will often see Rovers, Nobbers, Wigan and Bolton  shirts.  Chorley is a prime target area, especially the outlying villages on the Blackburn side of town.

• Like 3