BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v Barnsley (a) 18/9/21

Barnsley seem to be struggling somewhat to adjust following the loss of their manager and captain but as with every game at the moment, it will be a challenge with our squad on Saturday.

A lot may depend on the potential availability of the likes of Edun, Rankin Costello, Johnson, Poveda and Gallagher because if they are all out, our squad last night was so thin.

I think we could do with a bit of freshening up for sure, the starting 11 last night didn't work. I would personally like to see Butterworth and Khadra start instead of Dolan and Buckley who were quiet last night. 

I would also like to see Rothwell play a bit further forward as he is limited by playing so deep. Ideally Johnson could return and give us some experience and physicality besides Travis, with Clarkson looking well off the standard required, failing that, perhaps Edun could make a debut in a central midfield role that he is very familiar with, failing that, I would go with Davenport who doesn't convince but gives us more stability. The back 4 and keeper should of course remain the same.

Grand scheme of things they aren't miniscule compared to us if you strip everything away we used to be mirror versions pre Prem.  Like us there's a limit to how big a fanbase a club like that can have but they've always had a superb hardcore.

Now if you don't strip everything away and look at what we've had in the last decade and some of the things we still do you might well cry. They'd give their right arm for most of that but i doubt they'd want this ownership or board anywhere near the place billions or no billions. 

Like a day out down there so hopefully i'll get to this one, been quite a few times and seen good bad and indifferent in terms of games, scores and followings.  Those giving Ewood a miss at present get down here and cheer on these young lions and in the managers words 'lets see where they go'....if he lets them that is.

Barnsley   2    Rovers  2

• Like 3

Great preview @Miller11and very enjoyable to read. 

Barnsley are playing tonight against Stoke so will be interesting to see what changes have happened since Schopp has taking over and how they know play. I am going to this game and looking forward to this game now. I think we will win 2-1 win.

For me, I wouldn't be changing too much starting 11 wise. Dolan was good yesterday so would be starting again for me so no idea why Roversfan99 said he was quiet 

my team would be

Kaminski

Nyambe Lenihan Ayala Pickering

Buckley Travis Rothwell

Dolan       Brereton      Butterworth

Hopefully Poveda will be on bench probably replacing McBride 

Edited by chaddyrovers
  • Like 2

@chaddyrovers Wouldn't it be better to swap Butterworth and Brereton around? As a central striker, Brereton proved why he is not suited to do that yesterday, similar to Gallagher on Saturday, his general game was very, very poor. Brereton has been better wide left, and whilst I appreciate that he would probably prefer to play off someone, Butterworth comes on in central positions and Mowbray said post match yesterday that Butterworth wouldn't ideally want to play out wide. 

• K-Hod pinned this topic
9 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

@chaddyrovers Wouldn't it be better to swap Butterworth and Brereton around? As a central striker, Brereton proved why he is not suited to do that yesterday, similar to Gallagher on Saturday, his general game was very, very poor. Brereton has been better wide left, and whilst I appreciate that he would probably prefer to play off someone, Butterworth comes on in central positions and Mowbray said post match yesterday that Butterworth wouldn't ideally want to play out wide. 

I thought Brereton lead the line fine yesterday and was My MOTM. He run the channels and made some clever runs. Just final ball let him down. 

I don't see Butterworth has a main striker but has number 10 or playing from wide,. Not a role I have seen him from the games I've seen him play

Think as much as I'd like to Butterworth start, it was fairly obvious to us all that he isn't ready for 90 minutes. He's been injured two or three times for a period of over two seasons so it's going to be impacts from the bench for him for now I think.

Khadra I liked but himself and Dolan are basically the same player. It's great for competition, depth and covering injuries, but I just don't think you start both of them at the same time. One to start the game, Dolan, in better form, and the other to have some impact again in Khadra.

Gallagher likely comes back in, which I wouldn't personally go for as manager but it's what Mowbray will go for. Would like to see Conor McBride given a go. I have given CMcB quite a lot of stick but his goal record speaks for itself at youth level and I think he deserves a go. 

Guessing the Starting XI:

Kaminski

Travis Rothwell

Dolan Poveda Brereton

Gallagher

15 minutes ago, JoeH said:

Think as much as I'd like to Butterworth start, it was fairly obvious to us all that he isn't ready for 90 minutes. He's been injured two or three times for a period of over two seasons so it's going to be impacts from the bench for him for now I think.

Khadra I liked but himself and Dolan are basically the same player. It's great for competition, depth and covering injuries, but I just don't think you start both of them at the same time. One to start the game, Dolan, in better form, and the other to have some impact again in Khadra.

Gallagher likely comes back in, which I wouldn't personally go for as manager but it's what Mowbray will go for. Would like to see Conor McBride given a go. I have given CMcB quite a lot of stick but his goal record speaks for itself at youth level and I think he deserves a go. 

Kaminski

Travis Rothwell

Dolan Poveda Brereton

Gallagher

isn't Gallagher out injury and wont feature at Barnsley?

24 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

I thought Brereton lead the line fine yesterday and was My MOTM. He run the channels and made some clever runs. Just final ball let him down. 

I don't see Butterworth has a main striker but has number 10 or playing from wide,. Not a role I have seen him from the games I've seen him play

Amazing how 2 people watching the same game can see such different things. I thought he was appalling aside from one moment, a brilliant finish. The ball didn't stick with him, he didn't bring others into play, didn't offer a threat in behind, poor first touch, came wide too often leaving no one central to aim for, just generally very poor. Who I was with, those around me and even hearing people as I went down into the concourses or indeed everyone else on here have all said the same.

19 minutes ago, JoeH said:

Kaminski

Travis Rothwell

Dolan Poveda Brereton

Gallagher

Do you not think Rothwell is neutralised playing so deep, and when he does get further forward, he leaves too many gaps? Poveda is a wide player too by trade, not sure it makes sense to leave Butterworth out for fitness reasons (how will he ever be ready to start if he never does, surely that is a never ending cycle?) yet put Poveda and Gallagher back in from the start despite current muscular injuries?

3 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Amazing how 2 people watching the same game can see such different things. I thought he was appalling aside from one moment, a brilliant finish. The ball didn't stick with him, he didn't bring others into play, didn't offer a threat in behind, poor first touch, came wide too often leaving no one central to aim for, just generally very poor. Who I was with, those around me and even hearing people as I went down into the concourses or indeed everyone else on here have all said the same.

Its a game of opinions. 

He was making runs in behind during the games, did you miss them? 

I don't want him to stay central tho but move into the channels, come deep and run in behind. You want him to be target man striker but he isn't that type of striker. 

Brereton has 4 goals in 7 games now and doing very well

17 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Its a game of opinions. 

He was making runs in behind during the games, did you miss them? 

I don't want him to stay central tho but move into the channels, come deep and run in behind. You want him to be target man striker but he isn't that type of striker. 

Brereton has 4 goals in 7 games now and doing very well

I don't want him to be a target man, in fact I don't think that he is a central striker. We so often have no one in the box, if there was, it doesnt mean that we need to just aimlessly lob crosses in the air, but it is much easier to defend when no one is in the box.

1 hour ago, tomphil said:

Grand scheme of things they aren't miniscule compared to us if you strip everything away we used to be mirror versions pre Prem.  Like us there's a limit to how big a fanbase a club like that can have but they've always had a superb hardcore.

Now if you don't strip everything away and look at what we've had in the last decade and some of the things we still do you might well cry. They'd give their right arm for most of that but i doubt they'd want this ownership or board anywhere near the place billions or no billions. 

Like a day out down there so hopefully i'll get to this one, been quite a few times and seen good bad and indifferent in terms of games, scores and followings.  Those giving Ewood a miss at present get down here and cheer on these young lions and in the managers words 'lets see where they go'....if he lets them that is.

Barnsley   2    Rovers  2

Hard disagree. They are miniscule compared to us. There are some similarities sure, but they have fuck-all credentials in English football history at the top tier, we have fucktons.

5 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

I don't want him to be a target man, in fact I don't think that he is a central striker. We so often have no one in the box, if there was, it doesnt mean that we need to just aimlessly lob crosses in the air, but it is much easier to defend when no one is in the box.

He can play anywhere in the front 3. 

Maybe we lack a fox in box striker but we have the players we have. Scoring goals isn't a problem. We already have 4 goals from our defenders. Brereton has 4 goals. So the squad are stepping up replacing AA goals 

33 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

Hard disagree. They are miniscule compared to us. There are some similarities sure, but they have fuck-all credentials in English football history at the top tier, we have fucktons.

Counts for sod all though on Saturday.

Besides our mon will talk them up so we'll be the miniscule ones.

46 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

He can play anywhere in the front 3. 

Maybe we lack a fox in box striker but we have the players we have. Scoring goals isn't a problem. We already have 4 goals from our defenders. Brereton has 4 goals. So the squad are stepping up replacing AA goals 

I think it will be over the course of the season. Otherwise we wouldn't be interested in a striker and you wouldn't have been fuming with the inability to bring one in.

45 minutes ago, tomphil said:

Counts for sod all though on Saturday.

Besides our mon will talk them up so we'll be the miniscule ones.

Absolutely, all that ever matters is what happens on the day. Even recent form only gives a vague barometer.

"Big club, Barnsley, how can we be expected to match a team who reached the playoffs?"

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Miller11 said:

Barnsley away is a fixture that holds a special place in my heart. 30 years ago a visit to Oakwell marked my first proper away fixture, my only previous experience of away games being Lancashire cup ties at Blackpool and Preston.

There was a big game feel that day and Rovers turned out in numbers with the season reaching the business end, as well as offering us a chance to get a first glimpse of what seemed like our 25th new signing of an extraordinary season.

The more cynical onlookers suggested that Duncan Shearer had only been bought to neutralise the threat of Swindon Town in the promotion race, but we didn’t care. Since Newell has been carried off as we battered Newcastle at Ewood, things hadn’t been clicking, and it only took 25 minutes for the signing to look inspired.

A long diagonal ball from Alan Wright was flicked almost perfectly into Shearer’s path by Barnsley defender under pressure from Speedie, and he steered it in on the turn. A chant that would become commonplace in about 6 months time rang out, but that was this particular Shearer’s only real contribution in Rovers colours as he joined the failed attempts to replace the injured Mike Newell Club with Roy Wegerle over his 6 appearances. Some pretty crap defending later and we’d conspired to lose the game 2-1, this fixture being the second of 6 defeats on the bounce and part of a longer wretched run of form the modern day Tony Mowbray might even struggle to survive.

It all worked out ok in the end though. Shameless plug - re-live this game and this season, as well as many others, set to a soundtrack of the day withSound of the Season at Rovers Radio - select PODCAST from menu 

Barnsley’s own moment in the sun came 5 years later as a second place finish took them to the top flight of English football for the first, and to date only time in their 134 year history. Under Danny Wilson, Barnsley developed a much admired and very successful passing style, and Neil Redfern proved a much more effective spearhead of their attack than the fat Dingle they binned off - I can’t see the Padiham Predator playing for anyone where it’s just like watching Brazil! 

Our next trip to Oakwell came in November 1997, for what was a real game of two halves. After ourstrong start to the season, a Sherwood goal in the opening period we completely dominated led me to believe a win would be routine. However, Barnsley’s second half display was at times sublime… all one and two touch stuff, little flicks, brilliant movement, spectacular efforts, and we came away grateful for the point knowing there was more than a little truth to the chants.

Fast forward. Last year represented Barnsley’s best ever finishing position since that solitary Premier League season. A fifth place finish and a narrow defeat over two legs in the playoff semis making a mockery of the narrative that you can only reach the top 6 by being a “big club” or spending big money. Their owner, Chien Lee also has stakes in 5 other clubs scattered throughout Europe and iscredited, if that’s the right word, with bringing a “Moneyball” approach to his clubs. Andy Holt was battering him and this approach on Twitter this morning. The multi ownership is worrying, but football has to be unique in its constant search for and celebration of “investors”, but then complain when they look for a return… but I digress.

At ground level, it’s a bit more nuanced. While their style may have suggested an analytical andstatistical approach, playing the percentages is nothing new. The signing of Daryl Dike, a catalyst of their good form in the second half of the season,also flew in the face of their supposedly rigid model. Yes, he’s young, but his loan was never going to become permanent after a $20 million buy out clause. For the past couple of years though their recruitment has been far reaching, picking up young players cheaply from all over the place.

Valerien Ismael was an inspired appointment, andreplacing him was always going to be a tough task. Markus Schopp hasn’t had the easiest time of it so far with injuries (and Visas!) and results have been, at best, mixed. Expect them to play a 3-4-3 formation with Cauley Woodrow at the top, but the team and tactics have not been settled thus far, so the rest is anyone’s guess. They play Stoke tonight which might give some inkling. 

Mowbray must have been given some food for thought after the Hull game. The Armstrong shaped hole hasn’t been addressed, and I expect we will see various different solutions throughout the season. I’d like to see this line up against Barnsley:

Kaminski

Nyambe   Lenihan   Ayala   Pickering

Travis     Rothwell

Dolan        Butterworth    Brereton

McBride

I know there is no chance, but we obviously lack a centre forward, apart from Gallagher who is injured and of questionable quality particularly for our style of play. Elsewhere on the pitch we seem to haveenough options, or at least we will when some of the injuries return, but Armstrong going has left a void. Hal Robson-Kanu anyone? 
The back 4 and midfield picks itself, though I have been impressed with Buckley so far, but not as a wide forward.

Prediction: Score draw.

Our last two performances haven’t been without their issues, but a 4 point return added to our early season haul has given us a points tally far greater than I’d have expected at this stage. With the transfer window now out of the way, and a manager who is going nowhere for the moment, we arewhere we are. It’s great to see we actually have some really talented players and a team who are easy to get behind for 90 minutes - I plan to switch off from all the other shite and do that on aSaturday.

That’s not to say that everything at the club is wonderful, far from it. Our pathetic CEO ought to have a look at how Barnsley, a minuscule club in comparison to Rovers, are now averaging higher attendances than us. A fantastic early bird season ticket offer (that had run its course way before Waggott thought about putting ours on sale), providing real value will have helped.

30 years ago we were in Division 2 and we won 0-1.  I remember it well.

Excellent job, Miller11.

I see Rovers as an guttier version over last year, even sans Arma & Elliott. The team seems to have energy, & pace. Pickering & Ayala are better defenders than what we had. 

I’m not saying we will finish where we are currently, but I’m excited to see how each game plays out (at least for now).

2-3. COYB! 

2 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

I assume you are just trying to wind people up saying that about BBD being man of the match. 

• Like 4