BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v Barnsley (a) 18/9/21

5 hours ago, simongarnerisgod said:

big ben did alright,never stopped running and gave the barnsley centre back a busy afternoon,he is`nt however a hold up man,rothwell was played in the wrong postion,poveda was useless(i hope there is more to come from him),buckley was out of position as well,we are a lot stronger defensively,you complain about a point away from home against a pretty decent side

He did, his effort was geat just lacking a lttle bit of quality in his touch and the timing of his runs.

4 hours ago, Gav said:

We signed nobody of note last summer either, or in January 2020 Islander? 

Who did we sign that would challenge the likes of Norwich, Watford or Brentford?

That’s the level we need to reach, regardless of who the manager is?

To stick me nose in Gav, perhaps Mowbary would have been backed had he been able to find someone to sign.  When he has he's been backed.

5 hours ago, rigger said:

I don't know how much we are paying Poveda, but on todays performance, it is too much. It looked like he was running in treacle. So slow and with poor distribution. I am sure Chapman would have done better. These comment come at the end of a shit day. Poor game,train delayed, last bus didn't turn up. I hope things look better tomorrow

Having watched Leeds v Burnley and the  2nd half of Leeds v Newcastle , if he can't get a game at Leeds he is crap !!

• Like 1

12 hours ago, joey_big_nose said:

Brereton does seem a better wide player to me than a striker.  Which is mad given his size. But there it is.

We could do with a proper physical target man who knows how to head a ball. Like Graham or Gestede.

Must be someone knocking around on a free?

Andy Carroll?🤔😬🤔😬

Our loan strategy has no coherence to it, it's a random shotgun approach.

Clarkson and Poveda are taking opportunities away from our own players, principally Butterworth, Chapman and McBride. When van Hencke finally is fit, he'll likely be taking away minutes from Carter and Wharton. 

I'm not against all loans, but they should either be possible permanent recruits (we used to do this well pre-Venkys) or much, much better than our own youngsters, preferably will an option to buy. Khedra might be a cut above, but the others? 

• Like 8

4 minutes ago, TheRoversReturn said:

Clarkson and Poveda are taking opportunities away from our own players, principally Butterworth, Chapman and McBride. When van Hencke finally is fit, he'll likely be taking away minutes from Carter and Wharton. 

I'm not against all loans, but they should either be possible permanent recruits (we used to do this well pre-Venkys) or much, much better than our own youngsters, preferably will an option to buy. Khedra might be a cut above, but the others? 

That's the negative side to it for sure but i suppose the manager sees it as creating competition and cover for places. When though you're putting the loan guys as first choice just because they come from big clubs it's a poor way to go about it really.

18 minutes ago, BigBar said:

You haven't a clue you fool. He was poor again yesterday it's like your trying to convince people. Those with eyes see through it. 

Buckley was very good in defensive role and kept his position well. Kept their wing backs quiet. 

I'm attaching sense. Quiet but Rovers overall didn't create as much I like to see. 

29 minutes ago, TheRoversReturn said:

Poveda has just come back from injury so yes he was poor yesterday but I'm sure his form will pick up when he gains his fitness. 

Not sure on Clarkson role and what it should be but he should have won us the game. Still learning about Championship football is about. 

Still 38 games to go and both will play a part going forward. 

Never be convinced by Chapman. Think Butterworth is going to play his part going forward. 

7 hours ago, USABlue said:

To stick me nose in Gav, perhaps Mowbary would have been backed had he been able to find someone to sign.  When he has he's been backed.

Hope you're well my friend 👍

We tried to sign Adam Reach, he went to West Brom

We tried to sign Michael Obafemi, he went to Swansea

We were priced out of numerous deals, you don't get much these days for a handful of magic beans, 2 milk tokens and £10 voucher for The Hake Boat. 

Tough game that and a point probably a fair result. Clarkson should have scored but so should their lad first half, great save from Kaminski mind.

We'd have lost that last season without the fantastic Ayala, I really do pray he stays fit when it gets cold because he's making Lenihan look 10 times the player he was last season too.

Disappointed Butterworth didn't come on rather than Clarkson after his game changing cameo midweek. Yet to see what Clarkson offers I'm afraid, looks like a lost little boy. I think we potentially have a good player in Khadra though so hopefully he's fully fit and starting games soon, Poveda wasn't great.

When Wharton and the Brighton lad are fit, along with JRC and Edun we actually have decent options in defence but January can't come quick enough on the striker front. A Danny Graham type with Diaz and Khadra supporting would be ideal. That said, we didn't create enough yesterday so even having Lukaku up front wouldn't have made much difference. 

• Like 2

On 18/09/2021 at 09:05, HowieFive0 said:

1-1 for me too ..in fact my first time away at Barnsley it ended  1-1 in 1986 . Scott Sellars penalty !

This is a picture of the Rovers away end on that very day with the new Disabled fans building? to the left in the corner. 

Pretty grim Barnsley back then ..remember seeing all the coal mining wheels dotted about in the distance something id never seen before adding to grimness !

Screenshot_20210918-085439_WhatsApp.jpg

Love that picture Howie.

I remember going during the unbeaten run late 80's? we filled that away end and down the side upto the Rovers dugout. We also filled the away end under Kenny - Duncan Shearer scored I seem to remember.

That end always seemed bigger back then than it looks in that picture, anyone know how many it held?

Not the greatest quality, Barnsley v Rovers NY day 1985

Edited by Gav
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Gav said:

We were priced out of numerous deals, you don't get much these days for a handful of magic beans, 2 milk tokens and £10 voucher for The Hake Boat. 

And what do expect when we are getting crowds of only 10k(yeah owners fault) and have had 18 months with nobody at the ground.

The owners are putting in as much as they can with FFP regulations (agreed even if there wasn't ffp they still wouldn't go mad with spending).The club needs to become more sustainable if we are ever to get rid of the owners ( they won't be putting us into administration like other clubs).We couldn't continue running our wages at 180% to turnover.

Barnsley last season finished top 6.Sheffield united, Huddersfield, Norwich first time all promoted with a similar budget to what Mowbray has had in his time here.He has had 4 years in the job and the squad is in a poor state and a lot of that was down to him.

Or do you believe it was the owners who recommended we give long term deals to the likes of Mulgrew, Smallwood, Bennett, Evans.

Was it the owners who recommended bringing in Downing the second time and hardly playing him,?Was it the owners who decided to give loads of extensions out to players who didn't play a minute after the season was postponed during the first lockdown?

He has had a budget that would be the envy of most clubs generating cash similar to ourselves.

Nobody is arguing the owners are the main issue but Mowbray can have no complaints with the backing he has been given up to this summer 

• Like 8

42 minutes ago, Gav said:

Is either player any better then? 

Obafemi didn't want to sign here. So move on Gav. 

We were set to sign Maja until his medical show a problem with back. 

Gav, we are doing very well and proving people wrong results and point wise

40 minutes ago, islander200 said:

He has had a budget that would be the envy of most clubs generating cash similar to ourselves.

Nobody is arguing the owners are the main issue but Mowbray can have no complaints with the backing he has been given up to this summer 

We discussed this yesterday islander, Mowbray hasn't had a decent transfer budget since 2019, counting wages for fringe players shows just how far this club has fallen! 

Blackpool (I think), Bristol City, Coventry, Boro, Forest, PNE, QPR, Stoke and Swansea have all out spent us this summer - Mid table is clearly our level, regardless of who the manager is.

Edited by Gav

3 minutes ago, Gav said:

We discussed this yesterday islander, Mowbray hasn't had a decent transfer budget since 2019, counting wages for fridge players shows just how far this club has fallen! 

Blackpool (I think), Bristol City, Coventry, Boro, Forest, PNE, QPR, Stoke and Swansea have all out spent us this summer - Mid table is clearly our level, regardless of who the manager is.

He is a poor manager and part of the problem end of story.

You keep saying this about 2019.He brought 11 players to the club last summer.

Do you think Ayala cost us nothing? Kaminski and Pickering transfer fees paid.

Point me to the other clubs who spent money last summer and IL point out the parachute payments or player sales used to fund it.

And how did Huddersfield, Norwich, Sheffield United get promoted with their budgets.

• Like 6

5 minutes ago, Gav said:

We discussed this yesterday islander, Mowbray hasn't had a decent transfer budget since 2019, counting wages for fridge players shows just how far this club has fallen! 

Gav, what a decent transfer budget? And out of all those players those clubs signed who do you wish we? List of players if possible 

We had 31 man squad last season so he had a big enough budget for top 6.

This season he had a budget to signed 5 players. Plus more younger players become main first team players 

4 minutes ago, Gav said:

👍

You keep on ignoring it when I point out other clubs with similar/worse budgets doing better than us and in some cases getting promoted.

He has had plenty of money to spend.Do the math up until Armstrong was sold we had sold Raya in his time at the club.Look at all the players brought in throughout that time.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, USABlue said:

He did, his effort was geat just lacking a lttle bit of quality in his touch and the timing of his runs.

So what Diaz needs to do is, improve his football skills, his awareness of the game, his speed and his reading of a game. Then he will be, just about alright. He was very poor yesterday.

1 hour ago, Gav said:

Love that picture Howie.

I remember going during the unbeaten run late 80's? we filled that away end and down the side upto the Rovers dugout. We also filled the away end under Kenny - Duncan Shearer scored I seem to remember.

That end always seemed bigger back then than it looks in that picture, anyone know how many it held?

Not the greatest quality, Barnsley v Rovers NY day 1985

I think the floodlights failed that afternoon for 15 minutes  , bloody freezing and hung over ....

• Like 1