Jump to content

BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v Barnsley (a) 18/9/21


Recommended Posts

Managed to catch just over an hour of another bore fest yesterday, watching us at the moment is really difficult but football is about results and to be 6th with this current squad is a minor miracle so fair play to Mowbray for that. Barnsley were equally poor and it made for a horrendous watch.

Defensively we seem to be really tightened up, Ayala is a big reason for that. Lenihan was beaten too easily in the first half for the chance that Kaminski/a poor finish bailed him out with, and the full backs were fine, with Pickering settling in nicely.

I would suggest that the current set of attacking players is as poor as I can remember us having however, they all allow the majority of games to pass them by without stamping their authority on them. Leeds look like that they have sent us a dud in Poveda, he was shocking not only when he had the ball but his attitude when he didn't. Dolan aside from one turn in the first half was poor again, not much of a football brain. Brereton is not a central striker as long as he has a hole in his arse, so clumsy and ungainly. And Buckley off the ball was tenacious as he tends to be but he doesn't do enough on it in the majority of games, repeatedly over hitting passes. Rothwell was anonymous too.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, roversfan99 said:

Managed to catch just over an hour of another bore fest yesterday, watching us at the moment is really difficult but football is about results and to be 6th with this current squad is a minor miracle so fair play to Mowbray for that. Barnsley were equally poor and it made for a horrendous watch.

Defensively we seem to be really tightened up, Ayala is a big reason for that. Lenihan was beaten too easily in the first half for the chance that Kaminski/a poor finish bailed him out with, and the full backs were fine, with Pickering settling in nicely.

I would suggest that the current set of attacking players is as poor as I can remember us having however, they all allow the majority of games to pass them by without stamping their authority on them. Leeds look like that they have sent us a dud in Poveda, he was shocking not only when he had the ball but his attitude when he didn't. Dolan aside from one turn in the first half was poor again, not much of a football brain. Brereton is not a central striker as long as he has a hole in his arse, so clumsy and ungainly. And Buckley off the ball was tenacious as he tends to be but he doesn't do enough on it in the majority of games, repeatedly over hitting passes. Rothwell was anonymous too.

Premature statement about Poveda. Yes he was poor, but equally he was good in the other game he played for us and has just come back from injury. We need to see more of him before any conclusions can reasonably be reached.

2 years ago Brereton didn't look a footballer of any description as long as he had a hole in his arse. Now he is one of our most valuable players. He hasn't played centre forward, at least not more than the odd game, since he joined us. He is bound to struggle to adapt to not being used as a 'winger'.

Actually totally disagree, I think we have the best set of attacking options we have had in a while. The problem is none of them is a natural centre forward. We have two who were raised that way but have been used as wingers for ages, and foolishly didn't buy any this window. On the flanks up front we have a range of decent options IMO. Need to use them right though.

Edited by bluebruce
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

Managed to catch just over an hour of another bore fest yesterday, watching us at the moment is really difficult but football is about results and to be 6th with this current squad is a minor miracle so fair play to Mowbray for that. Barnsley were equally poor and it made for a horrendous watch.

Defensively we seem to be really tightened up, Ayala is a big reason for that. Lenihan was beaten too easily in the first half for the chance that Kaminski/a poor finish bailed him out with, and the full backs were fine, with Pickering settling in nicely.

I would suggest that the current set of attacking players is as poor as I can remember us having however, they all allow the majority of games to pass them by without stamping their authority on them. Leeds look like that they have sent us a dud in Poveda, he was shocking not only when he had the ball but his attitude when he didn't. Dolan aside from one turn in the first half was poor again, not much of a football brain. Brereton is not a central striker as long as he has a hole in his arse, so clumsy and ungainly. And Buckley off the ball was tenacious as he tends to be but he doesn't do enough on it in the majority of games, repeatedly over hitting passes. Rothwell was anonymous too.

Worse than Tony Watt, Chris Brown, Simeon Jackson and Nathan Delfouneso..?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

Premature statement about Poveda. Yes he was poor, but equally he was good in the other game he played for us and has just come back from injury. We need to see more of him before any conclusions can reasonably be reached.

2 years ago Brereton didn't look a footballer of any description as long as he had a hole in his arse. Now he is one of our most valuable players. He hasn't played centre forward, at least not more than the odd game, since he joined us. He is bound to struggle to adapt to not being used as a 'winger'.

Actually totally disagree, I think we have the best set of attacking options we have had in a while. The problem is none of them is a natural centre forward. We have two who were raised that way but have been used as wingers for ages, and foolishly didn't buy any this window. On the flanks up front we have a range of decent options IMO. Need to use them right though.

Having one good game, then one bad game, is the epitome of inconsistancy. Brereton still doesn't look like a championship level footballer. We might have options out wide, but most of our balls into the danger areas are either under or over hit. So those options are not working. How can we have our best attacking options and yet not have a central forward. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

Premature statement about Poveda. Yes he was poor, but equally he was good in the other game he played for us and has just come back from injury. We need to see more of him before any conclusions can reasonably be reached.

2 years ago Brereton didn't look a footballer of any description as long as he had a hole in his arse. Now he is one of our most valuable players. He hasn't played centre forward, at least not more than the odd game, since he joined us. He is bound to struggle to adapt to not being used as a 'winger'.

Actually totally disagree, I think we have the best set of attacking options we have had in a while. The problem is none of them is a natural centre forward. We have two who were raised that way but have been used as wingers for ages, and foolishly didn't buy any this window. On the flanks up front we have a range of decent options IMO. Need to use them right though.

I personally thought that Poveda had a poor game at Boro, similar story really, never facing his man up, questionable willingness to work hard, wanting to take too long on the ball. Of course, it is very early but yesterday was not

Totally agree on Brereton not being a central striker, but I actually think that the fact that he is our best attacking player says a lot.

There is a lot of nothingness that at this moment we can't be confident what it will amount to. Dolan for me doesn't offer too much of substance with any regularity at this level at his age, Khadra seems a talent but one destined in the near future for small cameos, same with Butterworth, Poveda again someone with no record of impacting first team games, and Gallagher is a bit of a donkey.

Just now, magicalmortensleftpeg said:

Worse than Tony Watt, Chris Brown, Simeon Jackson and Nathan Delfouneso..?

I think when Lambert signed those first three, the latter had gone out on loan, never to be seen again. Those last 2 in particular were horrendous, but we did also have Graham at that time, as well as Conway and Marshall as wingers. Earlier in that season, we had Delfouneso and also other dross including Koita and Barrow, but we had those same wingers and of course we had Rhodes. I would like to think that Poveda, Khadra, Dolan etc are above the pitiful benchmark of some of the aforementioned dross, but we don't have a prolific striker or the quality of attacker that we also had at those times, so you could argue either way.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, rigger said:

Having one good game, then one bad game, is the epitome of inconsistancy. Brereton still doesn't look like a championship level footballer. We might have options out wide, but most of our balls into the danger areas are either under or over hit. So those options are not working. How can we have our best attacking options and yet not have a central forward. 

I think Brereton is one of those who'll always look like that but will have a knack of bagging a few still. It's rare in his time here he's had a good game but he's scored a few good goals although i'll never ever understand what prompted them to shell out that much for him when they did.

It's going to take a few good seasons to finally justify it so hopefully he gets a bit physically stronger.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, rigger said:

Having one good game, then one bad game, is the epitome of inconsistancy. Brereton still doesn't look like a championship level footballer. We might have options out wide, but most of our balls into the danger areas are either under or over hit. So those options are not working. How can we have our best attacking options and yet not have a central forward. 

And two games is the epitome of a woefully inadequate sample size. Of course Brereton looks Championship level, he has 4 games and an assist in 8 matches, mostly from the wing. I feel some people apply a misleadingly high standard to this term 'Championship level'. Is he one of the best in the league? No. Is he Championship level now? Yes.

As I said, we need to use the options we have properly. Harsh to say they're not working though, as in at all. After all, we are in 6th as I keep being reminded. But I do think there is room for improvement there. We have had crap attacking options since Graham left and Dack got injured. Basically just Armstrong until BB found form, with two useless lumps on the flanks. Now BB is looking decent if still not fully polished, and we can field a few reasonable options instead of Gally there. That's how we can have our best attacking options in a while but not a CF. We are overloaded in the wide area and limited with reliable players in the CF spot. The options are unbalanced but plentiful.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, rigger said:

When you say Diaz was wasteful, if you mean shit, I would agree. 

He worked hard but yes he was crap. His decision making is shocking sometimes, like taking a touch he doesn't need or passing it to an imaginary friend. You'd think he'd have improved these aspects by now and I'm sure he'd score more if he did. Like Mowbray he seems to overthink/overcomplicate things.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

Managed to catch just over an hour of another bore fest yesterday, watching us at the moment is really difficult but football is about results and to be 6th with this current squad is a minor miracle so fair play to Mowbray for that. Barnsley were equally poor and it made for a horrendous watch.

Defensively we seem to be really tightened up, Ayala is a big reason for that. Lenihan was beaten too easily in the first half for the chance that Kaminski/a poor finish bailed him out with, and the full backs were fine, with Pickering settling in nicely.

I would suggest that the current set of attacking players is as poor as I can remember us having however, they all allow the majority of games to pass them by without stamping their authority on them. Leeds look like that they have sent us a dud in Poveda, he was shocking not only when he had the ball but his attitude when he didn't. Dolan aside from one turn in the first half was poor again, not much of a football brain. Brereton is not a central striker as long as he has a hole in his arse, so clumsy and ungainly. And Buckley off the ball was tenacious as he tends to be but he doesn't do enough on it in the majority of games, repeatedly over hitting passes. Rothwell was anonymous too.

bore fest? We have to play a specific way to stop Barnsley strengths and keep their star man Woodrow quiet which we did all game. Something you miss to point out. I would like know how you want like us to play and would that stop Barnsley from playing like we did. 

Why do you find it difficult to watch us? 

Defensive we are solid and that down to settle centre back partnership and keeper finally playing together as team. 

You are writing off Poveda after one game after he had a good game against Boro? Plus he has just come back from injury. 

What do you want from a centre striker? 

Dolan looked lively and chased the ball down playing with up front with Brereton. Brereton should have delivered a better final ball to Dolan and he scores. Plus Brereton should have scored second half. 

I find your criticism of Buckley completely unwarranted and wrong. Buckley was asked to do a defensive job on the left side of midfield 4 then on the right side when Khadra came on. Rothwell did a good defensive job in midfield with Travis

 

1 hour ago, magicalmortensleftpeg said:

Worse than Tony Watt, Chris Brown, Simeon Jackson and Nathan Delfouneso..?

Bowyer signed Brown the season before we signed Delfouneso in the summer. Then Lambert replaced Bowyer and got rid of both and Rhodes. Replaced them with Graham, Watt and Jackson. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, chaddyrovers said:

bore fest? We have to play a specific way to stop Barnsley strengths and keep their star man Woodrow quiet which we did all game. Something you miss to point out. I would like know how you want like us to play and would that stop Barnsley from playing like we did. 

Why do you find it difficult to watch us? 

Defensive we are solid and that down to settle centre back partnership and keeper finally playing together as team. 

You are writing off Poveda after one game after he had a good game against Boro? Plus he has just come back from injury. 

What do you want from a centre striker? 

Dolan looked lively and chased the ball down playing with up front with Brereton. Brereton should have delivered a better final ball to Dolan and he scores. Plus Brereton should have scored second half. 

I find your criticism of Buckley completely unwarranted and wrong. Buckley was asked to do a defensive job on the left side of midfield 4 then on the right side when Khadra came on. Rothwell did a good defensive job in midfield with Travis

 

Bowyer signed Brown the season before we signed Delfouneso in the summer. Then Lambert replaced Bowyer and got rid of both and Rhodes. Replaced them with Graham, Watt and Jackson. 

I find us boring to watch because I dont think that our attacking players are much to right home about. If we get results in spite of that then I obviously happy regardless and I also appreciate the defensive side of things in the last 2 games.

I am not writing Poveda off, I have just been very unimpressed by his first 2 performances. I thought he was poor at Boro aside from his interception in the build up to the goal, he kept wanting too long on the ball, he rarely if ever took on his man and he didnt create anything.

Its important to remember that the Barnsley of this season and the Barnsley of last season are 2 different animals. Im not sure that they warranted quite as much respect as you claim, it was a poor game between 2 sides with little in attack.

I mentioned Buckleys ability to intercept but again in possession as an attacking player he didnt do anything. He overhit quite a few switches of play which meant that potential attacks came to nothing. Rothwell again was fairly anonymous and the current role he is being asked to do doesnt suit him. Dolan again did very little aside from one very good turn in the first half and Brereton again failed with the basics of being a striker. He cant play with his back to goal and his timing of runs is poor, he is offside too often, he isnt in the box often enough and he fluffed his lines when we needed him to score following a terrible first touch.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, bluebruce said:

And two games is the epitome of a woefully inadequate sample size. Of course Brereton looks Championship level, he has 4 games and an assist in 8 matches, mostly from the wing. I feel some people apply a misleadingly high standard to this term 'Championship level'. Is he one of the best in the league? No. Is he Championship level now? Yes.

As I said, we need to use the options we have properly. Harsh to say they're not working though, as in at all. After all, we are in 6th as I keep being reminded. But I do think there is room for improvement there. We have had crap attacking options since Graham left and Dack got injured. Basically just Armstrong until BB found form, with two useless lumps on the flanks. Now BB is looking decent if still not fully polished, and we can field a few reasonable options instead of Gally there. That's how we can have our best attacking options in a while but not a CF. We are overloaded in the wide area and limited with reliable players in the CF spot. The options are unbalanced but plentiful.

I still don't get the best attack for a while. I dont think our attack is as strong as last season with Armstrong, or the seasons before with Dack and Graham. Of his 8 games this season, I would say his good/bad game ratio is more like 2/6   

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, JacknOry said:

Poveda played well for about 30 mins on his debut, since than has been totally ineffective.

As a Leeds fan on Twitter said: “I’m confused as to why you thought a player with 0 goals and 1 assist in 20 games was the attacking answer”

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • J*B unpinned this topic
13 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

I find us boring to watch because I dont think that our attacking players are much to right home about. If we get results in spite of that then I obviously happy regardless and I also appreciate the defensive side of things in the last 2 games.

I think we are much more organised at the back and having a good keeper and the same back 4 in most games is helping the team pick up results. Plus we are less open as a team and playing on the counter attack with these players that has to be right way to go. Do you not agree? I always wish we had signed a Maja or Lowe cos with their pace I feel that we be much stronger. Hopefully we signed Maja or someone else in the January transfer window

13 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

I am not writing Poveda off, I have just been very unimpressed by his first 2 performances.

Its been 2 games. Give him a chance and maybe not be so critical so early on. 

13 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

Its important to remember that the Barnsley of this season and the Barnsley of last season are 2 different animals. Im not sure that they warranted quite as much respect as you claim, it was a poor game between 2 sides with little in attack.

I watched them against Stoke in their previous game and I see alot of similarities with last season but this new head coach wants to play a bit more but for me its their wing backs that is key to how they played and we stop them and defensive we weren't exposed in the full back areas. 

13 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

Rothwell again was fairly anonymous and the current role he is being asked to do doesnt suit him.

I believe Rothwell wants to be centre midfield and play in there so he is going have to play that role. 

13 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

Brereton again failed with the basics of being a striker. He cant play with his back to goal and his timing of runs is poor, he is offside too often, he isnt in the box often enough and he fluffed his lines when we needed him to score following a terrible first touch.

Brereton isn't a target man type of striker like you want to be. 

He wants to run in behind and down the channels. Thats his game. 

Yes he should have scored even with poor touch. Should have chip the keeper or gone around him. 

Edited by chaddyrovers
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.