BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v Barnsley (a) 18/9/21

• Moderation Lead
19 minutes ago, rigger said:

I don't wish to be pedantic, but I did say, Hit the target. To me that is score a goal. If I had said, On target , I would agree. 

If you want your own definition of what ‘on target’ means, then who am I to stop you?

• Like 3

Wharton will presumably be at least after the international break with kids games and friendlies in between, but what was the point in signing Van Hecke?!

Would like Edun (or if he cant, Davenport) to come into midfield with Travis and Rothwell, assuming that Johnson isn't fit, and Khadra to start knowing that Poveda will be there on the assumption that he cant do a full 90. Clarkson and Buckley out.

Kaminski

Nyambe Lenihan Ayala Pickering

Travis Edun

Khadra Rothwell Brereton

Butterworth

Subs: Pears, Carter, Buckley, Davenport, Poveda, Dolan, McBride

Edited by roversfan99
  • Like 3

50 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

I think he looked very good against Luton but other than that, I still remain unconvinced at this moment in time and I would personally suggest that "really good this season" is somewhat hyperbolic.

Of course he is very raw at this stage so hopefully it will come in time.

I think he looks very lively in the role upfront and has definitely improved. It's great to actually see a player who has noticeably improved. Perhaps hyperbolic, but I like him 

Our recent record in games which are either i) at Oakwell or ii) could realistically result in us being in the top 6 is absolutely appalling, so it's good to be going into the game with a bit of genuine optimism. 

I understand the nervousness about playing Ayala three games in a week, but for me he's too important to leave out, especially with a full week to recover before the next game. Same back five, but I'd like to see Davenport in for Clarkson to give us a bit more bite. Going for a 2-1 away win.

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Would like Edun (or if he cant, Davenport) to come into midfield with Travis and Rothwell, assuming that Johnson isn't fit, and Khadra to start knowing that Poveda will be there on the assumption that he cant do a full 90. Clarkson and Buckley out.

Kaminski

Travis Edun

Khadra Rothwell Brereton

Butterworth

Subs: Pears, Carter, Buckley, Davenport, Poveda, Dolan, McBride

Why Dolan after a good game on Tuesday? 

Why move Brereton from the 9 role after scoring from that role? 

Mowbray has already said Khadra won't start the Barnsley game? 

Why start Edun over Davenport or Buckley in their actually midfield role? 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Why Dolan after a good game on Tuesday? 

Why move Brereton from the 9 role after scoring from that role? 

Mowbray has already said Khadra won't start the Barnsley game? 

Why start Edun over Davenport or Buckley in their actually midfield role? 

Because we have had this debate, I didn't personally agree and also I thought he looked absolutely shattered towards the end.

Because as a central striker, he was fundamentally found lacking. He offers that goal threat anyway coming in from the left, he isn't cut out to be a central striker. I do find the fact that we don't have any natural strikers capable of effectively playing that role at least until January to be a giant concern.

This is what I would do, not what Mowbray will do. If as expected Khadra starts to flag after an hour, only 20 minutes (plus with half time) added to Tuesday night, then bring Poveda on.

Edun apparently has been a midfielder for all bar the last year of his career and is equally comfortable in either position. Buckley I would take out, had this debate, I think he has been quiet since the opening day. I would like someone next to Travis to allow Rothwell to push further on, Edun or Davenport for me.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Because we have had this debate, I didn't personally agree and also I thought he looked absolutely shattered towards the end.

Because as a central striker, he was fundamentally found lacking. He offers that goal threat anyway coming in from the left, he isn't cut out to be a central striker. I do find the fact that we don't have any natural strikers capable of effectively playing that role at least until January to be a giant concern.

This is what I would do, not what Mowbray will do. If as expected Khadra starts to flag after an hour, only 20 minutes (plus with half time) added to Tuesday night, then bring Poveda on.

Edun apparently has been a midfielder for all bar the last year of his career and is equally comfortable in either position. Buckley I would take out, had this debate, I think he has been quiet since the opening day. I would like someone next to Travis to allow Rothwell to push further on, Edun or Davenport for me.

Agree on Buckley. Going off what we see a lot, he's not gaining anything resembling control of the midfield during games. I would say he's a passenger more often that not. 

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Yes Dolan looks shattered cos he is working his socks off in every minute of the game. Plus given the way Barnsley play I think we need Dolan's ability to close them down from the front. 

is Khadra's fitness ready to ever play half a game? something you dont know but Mowbray does. 

I wouldn't be dropping Buckley at all. Starts with Travis and Rothwell for me. 

Buckley was poor Tuesday because he was being played wide right.

Out of the 4 centre mids we played on Tuesday the one I would've done the best job further forward would be Rothwell. 

Buckleys a centre mid. He's technically good, reads the game well, wins a few tackles and is getting pushed off the ball a lot less than when he first came into the team.

• Like 6

4 hours ago, BlackburnEnd75 said:

Buckley was poor Tuesday because he was being played wide right.

Out of the 4 centre mids we played on Tuesday the one I would've done the best job further forward would be Rothwell. 

Buckleys a centre mid. He's technically good, reads the game well, wins a few tackles and is getting pushed off the ball a lot less than when he first came into the team.

He has been poor majority of the games in his preferred position so what's the reason for that? Needs dropping end of.

• Like 1

On 15/09/2021 at 17:49, Colt Seavers said:

Kaminski

Travis Buckley

Dolan Rothwell Khadra

Brereton

Agree with this. If Khadra isn't fit to start Poveda could go in there.

In mid Buckley and Rothwell can rotate to share the 10 and the 8 role. And if we get out fought in midfield the 10 can drop in to help out. Really needed that first half against Hull but Clarkson was hopeless.

Will be nice to be able to roll  Poveda/Khadra and Butterworth off the bench 60 mins in and scare the living sh*t out of them.

Edited by joey_big_nose
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, rigger said:

Tickets for the Barnsley game are no longer on the official site. Seems strange with a day to go.

They've been having the usual problems with the site it's not fit for purpose like a lot of things in football.

Plenty tickets you can pay on the day.

Winning this one would most likely see us in the top 6 so this is a nailed on defeat. Good start to the season so time for the Tony Moxbrays Bottlers United to enter the pitch after putting our performing players on the bench.

Actually trying REALLY hard to be enthusiastic, but after the last two seasons I need more wins, preferably a stint in the top 6, RoversTV to sort out their mess for us foreigners, a beer every 5 minutes and a cure for depression for that to happen. Life really sucks at the moment. Still....can't help myself....COYB!!

• Like 2

10 hours ago, BigBar said:

He has been poor majority of the games in his preferred position so what's the reason for that? Needs dropping end of.

Buckley has played his prefered position in very fews games this season.

The closest he has been is as a 10 where he has done alright and right of a midfield diamond vs WBA in which nobody did well because of the system being played.

I'm not personally convinced by the travis/Rothwell partnership. Even against Hull they left huge holes in front of the defense, with travis overcomitting and Rothwell going on driving runs forward leaving space in the middle of the pitch.

I'm a big supporter of Joe Rothwell but I've been really surprised to see him play in a 2 man central midfield. Mowbray has said before he would never do that unless it was late In the game and we were chasing the game. So I wonder what has brought about the change, maybe its to keep him sweet for a new contract? 

35 minutes ago, BlackburnEnd75 said:

Buckley has played his prefered position in very fews games this season.

Jack of all trades master of none.  Seen loads like him, not all get as lucky as Bucko. At no other time in my supporting of Rovers would he be getting so much game time...he must be thankful the venkys took over everyday....