BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

PLAYER WATCH v Hull City

PLAYER WATCH v Hull City

Thankfully I only got to see the second half!

Each player was judged on the following criteria:

Instance of excellent play                              *     
   Instance of decent/good play                       *
   Instance of disappointing/poor play             * 
   Instance of terrible play                                 *                                                                                  E&OE

Ratings

Kaminski              *               *               **

Nyambe               **             ******

Lenihan                                       *********   *

Ayala                    *              **

Pickering              **             *******      *

Clarkson (54)                                                      *

Travis                                           *******      *               *

Buckley (54)                                                        **              *

Rothwell               *              *****         ****

Dolan (89)                                   ********    ** 

Brereton               *                     ******       ******

Khadra (54)          *                    ********

Butterworth (54)  **                  ******        ***

Davenport (89)                            *

Highlights and Lowlights
(Justification for the main ratings above)            

45 The Hull defender fails to clear a long ball, Buckley picks up and drives towards the box. He slips the ball sideways to Ben but the pass is poor and a good chance goes begging.

46 Hull attack down the left and Nyambe has his man covered but Buckley chasing back gets in everyone’s way and allows a shot on goal but Kaminski collects the bouncing ball.

47 Neat ball from Rothwell to Pickering on the wing. He carries it forward and puts in a good cross but Ben gets under it and it’s high over the bar.

48 The Hull player attacks down the right, Travis makes a weak attempt at a challenge, fortunately Nyambe makes up a huge amount of ground to block the chance and it’s a corner.

49 Hull throw-in into the box, Lenihan is too far away from his man, Clarkson’s challenge is totally ineffective and there’s a bit of panic but it’s cleared by Dolan.

50 Buckley in the full-back position is done comprehensively by the winger, the cross is good and Magennis nets but he’s offside. Lucky!!

51 Nice long ball from Lenihan has Ben chasing into the box but it’s just too long.

54 Khadra and Buttermouth on, Buckley and Clarkson off. Immediately Khadra shows off his skills, dancing past defenders to get out of a tight spot. Blimey he’s off again, jinking in from the wing he lets off a shot but it’s deflected and the goalie collects.

55 Rothwell goes on a great run from halfway and slides a lovely ball to Butterworth on the edge of the box. He takes it on but is well marshalled and his shot is deflected behind.

57 Lovely ball down the wing from Lenihan to BBD who falls over but wins a free kick on the edge of the box.

59 Butterworth picks up the ball 25m out and unleashes a rocket. The goalie can only parry it out to Dolan but he can’t get a clean foot on it and it’s wide. It’s really livened up since the subs came on!

60 Rothwell’s corner is well placed but there’s not much pace on it. Never mind, that man Ayala thumps his header into the back of the net anyway! What a player he’s been this season! The ground’s rocking!

62 Butterworth picks up the ball in the centre-circle and the Rovers steam forward. He releases the ball beautifully to BBD who shoots from inside the box but it’s saved.

63 Khadra passes a neat ball through to BBD on the wing but his cross is disappointing. It finds its way to Travis outside the D and he unleashes a powerful shot but it’s wide.

64 Travis passes to BBD just inside the right corner of the box. He nudges the ball goalwards and crashes the ball magnificently into the net. Where did that come from?

70 The excitement is over for now. Hull are allowed to stroll through midfield, Rothwell and Travis look lethargic. A great cross is floated to the far post and Pickering did well to get his head there first when he wasn’t favourite.

73 Dolan flicks the ball over the head of the defender for Nyambe to chase. Nyambe does well to get a cross in but it’s cleared. 

74 Hull are strolling around midfield again and we can’t get a touch on the ball!

75 Lovely ball from Pickering into the corner for Butterworth. He beats Smallwood and runs into the box but his shot hits the side-netting from a narrow angle.

76 Good challenge by Travis allows Nyambe to slide a ball through for BBD to chase towards the box but it’s normal service resumed as his shot is weak and misdirected! Moncur is allowed to waltz all the way through midfield, Rothwell’s challenge from behind is ineffective and Moncur smashes the ball at goal. Kaminski saves well, Moncur has another go but it’s high and over.

78 Nice ball from Rothwell to Butterworth near the D and he wins a foul in a dangerous position. Rothwell hits it over the wall but it’s too high.

80 Another stroll through the Rovers defence …..far too easy…..it ends up with a shot on goal but Lenihan blocks.

82 Brereton attempts to drive forward on the halfway line but loses possession and it’s dangerous. Moncur lines up another shot but it’s deflected for a corner. Pickering just put him off.

85 Khadra whips in a wicked dipping cross behind the defence but Hull do well to clear as Ben lurks.

86 Sloppy loss of possession from Rothwell on halfway allows Hull to attack. Potter, inside the box, smashes the ball into Nyambe’s face. Nyambe was brave there, he never flinched or turned his back as Potter pulled the trigger! The corner comes in and Kaminski under pressure fails to punch the ball clear. Fortunately he manages somehow to grab the ball at the second attempt.

88 Another “too easy” stroll from Hull but Lenihan tidies up. It comes straight back and Lenihan slides in to block a low cross at the near post.

89 Moncur allowed time to shoot again from the edge of the box!

90 A persistent Pickering holds up the winger and wins the foul. Travis wins the ball but passes it straight to Potter in our box but Davenport intercepts.

Constructive criticism is welcomed.

Edited by tonyoz
  • Like 7

Who contributed most to the win?

Although I used a colour scale for relative simplicity, I actually graded each bit of play on a numerical scale:

+5     GOAL

+4   Excellent play 

+3   Very good play

+2   Good play

+1   Decent play

0   Routine stuff

-1   Sloppy play

-2   Poor play

-3   Awful stuff

-4   Terrible play

-5   Own goal

I can then add up each player's score and obtain a measure of his contribution to the game. This is what I got:

Kaminski   3

Nyambe   17

Lenihan   15

Ayala   9

Pickering   19

Clarkson   -2

Travis   6

Buckley   -8

Rothwell   9

Dolan   11

Brereton   3

Khadra   18

Butterworth   14

Davenport   2

What do you think?

Edited by tonyoz
  • Like 5

3 hours ago, tonyoz said:

Who contributed most to the win?

Although I used a colour scale for relative simplicity, I actually graded each bit of play on a numerical scale:

+5     GOAL

+4   Excellent play 

+3   Very good play

+2   Good play

+1   Decent play

0   Routine stuff

-1   Sloppy play

-2   Poor play

-3   Awful stuff

-4   Terrible play

-5   Own goal

I can then add up each player's score and obtain a measure of his contribution to the game. This is what I got:

Kaminski   3

Nyambe   17

Lenihan   15

Ayala   9

Pickering   19

Clarkson   -2

Travis   6

Buckley   -8

Rothwell   9

Dolan   11

Brereton   3

Khadra   18

Butterworth   14

Davenport   2

What do you think?

I like it. Thanks for the time and effort you’ve put in.

• Like 3

Very interesting tonyoz, thank you for the time you spent on it.

Our defence fares particularly well. Surprised to see how Lenihan compares to Ayala; especially so after the latter's goal.

Pickering comes out top of the pops, and the double substitutes are both staking a claim for a starting place on Saturday. 

Great stuff, thanks.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Colt Seavers said:

Very interesting tonyoz, thank you for the time you spent on it.

Our defence fares particularly well. Surprised to see how Lenihan compares to Ayala; especially so after the latter's goal.

Pickering comes out top of the pops, and the double substitutes are both staking a claim for a starting place on Saturday. 

Great stuff, thanks.

Yes, I thought that myself but there were no trademark, dominant, defensive headers required on Tuesday………at least not the half I saw. I’m a big fan of Ayala, I love the way he organises everybody!

• Like 1