BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Premier League season 21/22

I didn't see a thread on this so I started a new one. 

Watched the full Brentford vs Liverpool game yesterday after I got home from Ewood Park. Brentford were very impressive and gave Liverpool a proper good test defensive. Frank has impress me this season with his overall approach.  

Well done to Villa and Dean Smith for beating Utd yesterday. They got their tactical approach right and he has change his formation this season to allow him to play Ings and Watkins up front. 

51 minutes ago, DE. said:

The way Solksjser has been lashing out recently suggests a manager under pressure, despite United having an overall decent start to the league campaign. 

Not sure about that. Think he is so annoyed by silly mistakes. Bet United have a man on that near post next game

2 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

I didn't see a thread on this so I started a new one. 

Watched the full Brentford vs Liverpool game yesterday after I got home from Ewood Park. Brentford were very impressive and gave Liverpool a proper good test defensive. Frank has impress me this season with his overall approach.  

Well done to Villa and Dean Smith for beating Utd yesterday. They got their tactical approach right and he has change his formation this season to allow him to play Ings and Watkins up front. 

Todays paper has the Villa formation as 3-5-1-1.

• Backroom
7 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Not sure about that. Think he is so annoyed by silly mistakes. Bet United have a man on that near post next game

I think he should focus more on his own team failing to score from open play and skying a penalty than a 50/50 decision tbh. It came across as desperate, similar to his rant about Klopp earlier on the week. 

• Like 1

• Backroom

I wonder if Farke will last the season at Norwich? As it stands they're looking at a second PL season in three years where they are the whipping boys of the division. Other promoted sides have proven it doesn't have to be that way. Sometimes you need to be ruthless to progress, and if I was a Norwich supporter I'd be wondering at this point if Farke's ceiling is the Championship. 

2 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Todays paper has the Villa formation as 3-5-1-1.

Sky Football and from I watched on Match of the Day that it was 3-5-2. 

2 hours ago, DE. said:

I think he should focus more on his own team failing to score from open play and skying a penalty than a 50/50 decision tbh. It came across as desperate, similar to his rant about Klopp earlier on the week. 

That penalty was a shocking miss by Bruno Fernandes 

1 hour ago, DE. said:

I wonder if Farke will last the season at Norwich? As it stands they're looking at a second PL season in three years where they are the whipping boys of the division. Other promoted sides have proven it doesn't have to be that way. Sometimes you need to be ruthless to progress, and if I was a Norwich supporter I'd be wondering at this point if Farke's ceiling is the Championship. 

He was losing his temper yesterday during the game. Also he went 3-5-2 yesterday. 

I think its a good point that Farke and Norwich look a quality championship team but when its they get to the PL they are defensively weak plus both Watford and Brentford look better suited to Premier League football

• Backroom
9 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

I think its a good point that Farke and Norwich look a quality championship team but when its they get to the PL they are defensively weak plus both Watford and Brentford look better suited to Premier League football

I've just read that Farke was apparently very recently handed a 4 year contract extension, so he probably won't be going anywhere any time soon!

United will IMO never genuinely compete for the title with Solksjaer in charge, he will never make a team packed full of quality better than the sum of its parts. The weakness on the pitch is the midfield, the attacking options are as good as any and the back 4 is really good too, but the middle part of McTominay and Fred is average/poor. They need a top manager otherwise the likes of Ronaldo, Pogba, Fernandes, Rashford, Varane etc will only take them so far.

Burnley look like they have a talent in Cornet although he got injured yesterday. I suspect that Burnley will be fine as always though.

Norwich have seemingly again poorly prepared for a Premier League season, they get a lot of credit for how they are run but their recruitment once they go up leads to embarrassment on the pitch, 16 successive losses at this level. Watford and Brentford look much more at home at this level.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, roversfan99 said:

United will IMO never genuinely compete for the title with Solksjaer in charge, he will never make a team packed full of quality better than the sum of its parts. The weakness on the pitch is the midfield, the attacking options are as good as any and the back 4 is really good too, but the middle part of McTominay and Fred is average/poor. They need a top manager otherwise the likes of Ronaldo, Pogba, Fernandes, Rashford, Varane etc will only take them so far.

Burnley look like they have a talent in Cornet although he got injured yesterday. I suspect that Burnley will be fine as always though.

Norwich have seemingly again poorly prepared for a Premier League season, they get a lot of credit for how they are run but their recruitment once they go up leads to embarrassment on the pitch, 16 successive losses at this level. Watford and Brentford look much more at home at this level.

That Cornet scored a good goal, unlucky not to win. Then again Vardy scored one of their goals.

Very harsh on Solksjaer. For me, they have the right managers to challenge for honors. But United never challenge for the title when they had Mourinho or Van Gaal. How much did both spend when managed there? 

McTominay is quality player for them

He did look very good but Vardy had enough chances to win the game for Leicester. I would say Burnley look weaker defensively than previous years. I feel their time in PL is done  

Think embarrassment is harsh. Tho Farke and Norwich need to look how they set up and use certain players. 

Looks like a typical Burnley season, poor start, then come to a bit, and start winning enough games from October onwards. (Sigh).

Though maybe more of battle than previous years due to the number of goals they are conceding.

Edited by Mattyblue

27 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Very harsh on Solksjaer. For me, they have the right managers to challenge for honors. But United never challenge for the title when they had Mourinho or Van Gaal. How much did both spend when managed there? 

McTominay is quality player for them

He did look very good but Vardy had enough chances to win the game for Leicester. I would say Burnley look weaker defensively than previous years. I feel their time in PL is done  

Think embarrassment is harsh. Tho Farke and Norwich need to look how they set up and use certain players. 

They perform like a set of individuals and Solskjaer does not have anything like the tactical astuteness that the likes of Tuchel and Guardiola have at the top end of the table.

McTominay is ok, certainly not a title challenging central midfielder, and him and the poor Fred are unable to provide the balance and platform for the attacking players to attack safe in the knowledge that the midfield battle will be won. The team tend to play as a series of very talented individuals rather than a well drilled team.

Van Gaal and Mourinho both got sacked. Although I suspect that the latter's medals will not be eclipsed by Solskjaer.

Is 16 successive losses anything but an embarrassment?

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

They perform like a set of individuals and Solskjaer does not have anything like the tactical astuteness that the likes of Tuchel and Guardiola have at the top end of the table.

Yet are in the top 4 and played some good football at times. 

Guardiola out tactical Tuchel yesterday who had no answer to the City players and how they played.  

34 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Is 16 successive losses anything but an embarrassment?

if it was one season yes but it isn't. 

What do you make of Farke's tactics and how he using his players in his formation?

17 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Yet are in the top 4 and played some good football at times. 

Guardiola out tactical Tuchel yesterday who had no answer to the City players and how they played.  

if it was one season yes but it isn't. 

What do you make of Farke's tactics and how he using his players in his formation?

A team with the quality of Man United should be doing more than being in the top 4 and playing good football "at times," with the individual quality they have, you could put you or I as manager and they would score goals and entertain at times purely out of individual quality. I am unsure at what point Solskjaer has proven to you that he has the tactical nous or indeed the competence to have United challenging seriously for the title. You don't sign Ronaldo, Varane and Sancho on top of the players they already had to be in the top 4.

I think that Farke is changing formations and players from the outside basically out of desperation to see what sticks. 

They don't have enough quality, they sold their best player and their recruitment was haphazard, for some reason more loanees than when they were in the Championship along with some cheap gambles. They seem to treat the Premier League as if they don't want to be there.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

A team with the quality of Man United should be doing more than being in the top 4 and playing good football "at times," with the individual quality they have,

Thats why I disagree with you. I don't think Man Utd front 4 is any better than Man City or Chelsea or Liverpool to be honest. For me, if you were to asked me to be my Premier League best front 4 my main striker wouldn't be from any of those clubs to be honest. 

Also we are only 6 games in and we seen some teams struggled for the first 3 games like Arsenal and then we get a brillant performance like today against Spurs. To

19 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

I am unsure at what point Solskjaer has proven to you that he has the tactical nous or indeed the competence to have United challenging seriously for the title.

Manchester United were the closer challenges last season. They will challenge for the title this season. We have 4 quality teams challenging the title this season

22 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

I think that Farke is changing formations and players from the outside basically out of desperation to see what sticks. 

They don't have enough quality, they sold their best player and their recruitment was haphazard, for some reason more loanees than when they were in the Championship along with some cheap gambles. They seem to treat the Premier League as if they don't want to be there.

I think Farke has to change formations and tactics otherwise I don't see them challenging to survive, in the PL. He has to made them more defensively solid. 

You mention recruitment and I have to admit I havent really looked at it but surprise that Billy Gilmour hasn;t played more. Expect this maybe Krul and Pukki last season as regulars in the team. I have a look at their transfers and reply with more detailed view on them later if thats ok

3 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

It feels like the hierarchy at Norwich are happy just to bank the Premier League money, go down and repeat the process again. They never make a fist of staying up and spend as little as they can on cheap gambles. Last time they came into the Premier League with a better squad. Buendia, Cantwell and Pukki were on fire and raring to go.

This time, there's no momentum, Buendia's gone, I don't know where Cantwell is (injured/out of form?) and Pukki's gone off the boil. Hanley's being exposed most weeks at the back, he isn't up to it at this level. Their starting 11 looks really poor. It will be interesting to see if they can make it past Derby's record lowest points total.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, SuperBrfc said:

It feels like the hierarchy at Norwich are happy just to bank the Premier League money, go down and repeat the process again. They never make a fist of staying up and spend as little as they can on cheap gambles. Last time they came into the Premier League with a better squad. Buendia, Cantwell and Pukki were on fire and raring to go.

This time, there's no momentum, Buendia's gone, I don't know where Cantwell is (injured/out of form?) and Pukki's gone off the boil. Hanley's being exposed most weeks at the back, he isn't up to it at this level. Their starting 11 looks really poor. It will be interesting to see if they can make it past Derby's record lowest points total.

Agreed, it all is a little muddled up. It is crazy how they can be so good at Championship level yet so poor at Premier League level, to such a degree.

Their summer recruitment has been totally bizarre. 4 loans would as we know as Rovers fans be considered a lot in the Championship, but as a Premier League club it seems totally unnecessary, you don't want to be allowing teams from the same leagues to lend you their kids and Williams and Gilmour seem to have struggled, the former made a terrible mistake v Watford.

The one aspect that didn't sit right and would have had me fuming if I supported Norwich was the attitude coming from the top that was seemingly allowed to pass down via the manager the last time they went up. A club should always be prudent and financially sensible, but equally it shouldn't publically announce that it expects relegation. You give it a proper go, fighting for survival until its mathematically impossible, and you always have that mindset, whilst those at the top can arrange the finances for a worst case scenario without letting that sort of talk leave the boardroom.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

They spent 60 million pounds on new players. Yes alot of players signed from overseas so I guess you have settling in period for them. I do wonder if Pukki and Krul will be there next season..

I wouldn't say spending over 8 million pounds each on 3 players are cheap gambles but they decided to go young players instead on PL experience..

On loan signings. They had 4 loan players last season as this season squad had. 

4 minutes ago, SuperBrfc said:

I don't know where Cantwell is (injured/out of form?)

He missed the Everton game due to personal reasons