BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v Huddersfield (a) - 28/09/2021

Mowbray clearly got it wrong with the late subs. They were attacking changes though and he had previously been criticised for being defensive in similar situations. Injuries cost us today and the lack of squad depth was apparent. We will have to remain very lucky on the injury front to have a decent season.  It didn’t work out today but I enjoyed this defeat far more than many of our defeats playing aimless passing football last season. 

• Like 1

The change of formation when Nyambe went off killed us. Why not just put Magloire at full back, at least he has pace. Presumably we had prepared for this game, and every game this season, with a back 4… so why change it so soon?! And why oh why play a 5-2-3 and completely concede midfield? It ballsed everything up.

Magloire was very poor, but he wasn’t the only one. Ayala really seemed to struggle in the rejigged formation, and Pickering was beaten too many times to count. Buckley is not just nullified but crap in wide areas, Travis is left to cover an unmanageably large area, Rothwell goes missing for large spells.

Few circa 2018 Brereton moments, but Diaz is a different beast. I am delighted to hold my hands up and admit I was wrong, and today his attitude pleased me as much as anything. 

If one change killing us wasn’t enough, we then see those daft late subs. Clarkson might be a blue and white, but he’s no Harvey Elliott and is miles off. I’d send Poveda back now. It was just a mess towards the end.

Gutting to come back twice and then still come away with nothing. Particularly with the injuries on top too.

• Like 4

32 minutes ago, Tom said:

Poveda - shocker, looks over weight and uninterested 

Think it's his pay packet -unbelievable what he's on at Leeds and what Rovers are coughing up for him.

You could have wrote the script for tonight.

Whilst Mowbray remains in charge don't think anything will ever change.

Hugely difficult game at Blackpool who have a manager who knows just what the feck he's doing.

Edited by Mercer
  • Like 5

27 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

I cant fathom how anyone thinks that this squad is promotion material, even allowing for the poor general standard of division.

Why not? 

There is 3 or 4 quality teams that will be top 4 come end of the season. After that it's wide open for the other 2 playoff spots between 12 teams which we are one of. 

Brereton keep scoring goals and 9 for the season so far. But we need to keep key players fit for the majority of the season tho and add 2 or 3 players in January 

• Like 1

Just now, chaddyrovers said:

Why not? 

There is 3 or 4 quality teams that will be top 4 come end of the season. After that it's wide open for the other 2 playoff spots between 12 teams which we are one of. 

Brereton keep scoring goals and 9 for the season so far. But we need to keep key players fit for the majority of the season tho and add 2 or 3 players in January 

Because even if you think that the first 11 is good enough, which I dont, the squad is paper thin. Beneath lie a lot of players not up to it.

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Why not? 

I agree Chaddy, 3-4 teams already at the top, plus QPR who are playing great football and have been unlucky of late.

The reason we won't be up there is we've got Tony Mowbray, not because the players aren't capable.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Why not? 

Did you not watch the game?

The depth to the squad was plain to see.

Mowbray's tinkering was plain to see.

The loanee quality was plain to see.

Last season we had the second top scorer and finished 15th. Goals have never been the problem.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

It is unbelievable. As in, I don't believe that you know what it is.

I think I know to the nearest £thousand / per week.

My understanding is his Leeds' salary is £2MILLION+ pa and the + is significant!!!

Edited by Mercer

26 minutes ago, booth said:

I think almost any sane person would have chosen Edun over bringing Magloire on and completely changing the shape of the team.

I have never seen Edun play his normal position of left back - let alone right back. So I bow to your superior knowledge on Edun playing out of position.

Magloire was out muscled for their goal - but where was Carter or Ayala ? 

The change of shape actually worked for a while. We always struggle against teams playing 3 at the back - matching the formation is one approach.

TBH this match reminded me of last season - a plucky effort, odd good spells, but ultimately getting beat by the odd goal.

• Like 1

• Moderation Lead
4 minutes ago, Mercer said:

My understanding is his Leeds' salary is £2MILLION+ pa.

Yet a quick Google search says he’s not even on half a million a year….

The same Google search says Patrick Bamford is on £2 Million a year and I’d bet not many Leeds players are on more than he is….

• Like 4

What has happened to Poveda? He was shocking. He's getting worse with each appearance. He looked uninterested tonight, like he couldn't be bothered and didn't want the ball. A very disappointing signing so far. If it was possible to send him back now, I would.

Our lack of depth in defensive positions is coming back to bite us already. One injury to Nyambe and we're left panicking in that position. Not Lenihan's biggest fan, but we missed him tonight. Magloire is nowhere near good enough for this level.

We looked alright going forward, up until Rothwell came off. Diaz is doing the business, he looks a different player. Unfortunately, our soft centre and poor defending undid his good work tonight. It's infuriating how soft those Huddersfield goals were.

Blackpool all of a sudden becomes a tougher game with two out of our regular back four not playing.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Mercer said:

My understanding is his Leeds' salary is £2MILLION+ pa and the + is significant!!!

Yeh, no.

And what portion of this mammoth fictional salary do you think we are paying?

• Like 1

His Sky interview made me weep…” I was asking boys to do the jobs of men “

….the thing is Tony you had far better boys/ almost men on the bench ..you chose lightweight , disinterested, skill lacking boys …

….and the the most depressing point is …he will continue to do so , unchallenged.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, DavidMailsTightPerm said:

I have never seen Edun play his normal position of left back - let alone right back. So I bow to your superior knowledge on Edun playing out of position.

Well I'm certainly not going to bow to yours with some of your past statements and being the original resident contrarian.

Magloire has never convinced. Edun has been purchased, I would hope, because he's a decent defender.

But I imagine you thought that Clarkson and Poveda were the perfect substitutes for tonights game, Mowbray did great and was unlucky, ra ra ra.

• Like 1

My take on tonight’s game is that we were out muscled and overrun in midfield. There is plenty if fight in this team but we were missing in action for periods of the match whilst defending was way off the mark . Why Mowbray couldn’t see the player who was damaging us beyond me 🤬 very annoyed that Butterworth remained sidelined could have been a far better option at the end. If only Rovers can tap into the support like we have at away games it was class. Sadly my run continues never seen a Rovers win at this stadium☹️

• Like 3