BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v Huddersfield (a) - 28/09/2021

Where is this Brighton loanee? How'd he pass a medical?

Fully expecting to see Johnson back on Saturday, has come through a couple u23 matches. Can see us not picking up much points if we've anything but Lenihan/Ayala paired, or going to a back 3. 

Only seen highlights but the two headed goals let in were tragic.

Diaz's open play goal a beaut!

1 hour ago, roversfan99 said:

Sadly he had little alternative. The likes of Holtby, Evans and Downing were correctly allowed to bet let go but we were only given the money to be able to afford a handful of kids on loan. Mowbray said he wanted experience but couldnt afford it so when we get an injury or two we look really shaky.

I disagree there. 

Why couldn't we signed for example Brighton's Centre midfielder Jayson Molumby on loan instead of Clarkson? Not writing Clarkson but they were other options out there. 

57 minutes ago, JHRover said:

A few issues with your fanciful scenario:

1) Keeping key players fit - as we are already starting to see that rarely happens

2) Adding 2 or 3 players in January - we spent next to nothing in the whole summer and relied on cheap loans. Why will January be any different?

3) Will you not be supporting sales of Nyambe, Rothwell and Lenihan in January to ensure we get cash for them before their contracts expire?

1. Let's see how bad the injuries are first. Plus we have players coming back like Wharton, JRC and Dack. 

2. Most championship clubs spent nothing and not likely to change in coming season. We change the loan players and hopefully bring in Maja who would make a massive difference to us. 

3. Depends on the situation of each. 

56 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

would have brought Edun on at that time so I wouldnt disagree that Mowbray made mistakes tonight. 

Where would you have played him? Right back? 

13 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

As pointed out elsewhere, I very much doubt that we will have the funds for numerous January signings, considering that "the journey is on hold," that money is at a premium and that such proactivity has never been seen in the past.

The squad is going to be stretched beyond its limits on Saturday, making it very difficult to remain competitive.

Look at Waggott's interview, there is still funds available from the budget he has. Plus you can change the loan signings around by cancelling a couple of them depends on the terms of the loan deals. 

I disagreed on your last point. Of course we will be competitive on Saturday and I am looking forward to it 

2 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Look at Waggott's interview, there is still funds available from the budget he has.

Yada yada, funds available but we end up with 3 absolute stinkers as last minute summer signings...summer is when you have the time to make your choices, not one experienced proper footballer for ages

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, DackDackGoose said:

Where is this Brighton loanee? How'd he pass a medical?

Signed with a pre-existing injury. Mowbrays words at the time…

“I think it might be the next international break, two or three weeks, before we can get him on the grass.

“I was fine with that at the time and I am now.

“We’re trying to manage Daniel’s workload and keep him on the pitch and playing matches.

“Darragh has been robust the last couple of seasons and hopefully will be again.

“We’ve got the emergence of Carter and Magloire so we’re not sat here worrying too much about it.

“He’ll be ready to play in three or four weeks and then on the next few weeks training with us.”

• Like 1

1 hour ago, booth said:

One thing to note, Clarkson is a teenager, Mowbray shouldn't be throwing him into high pressure situations like that expecting him to deliver.

Poveda is 21 (22 in February) and should be a lot better than that in the Championship.

They could improve but I can't see either of them featuring for their parent clubs in the future.

But I get the impression that Poveda THINKS she should be featuring for Leeds.  THINKS he's too good to go out on loan.  He clearly has ability, what he lacks is desire and the determination to prove he's as good as he THINKS.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, yankfan said:

But I get the impression that Poveda THINKS she should be featuring for Leeds.  THINKS he's too good to go out on loan.  He clearly has ability, what he lacks is desire and the determination to prove he's as good as he THINKS.  

He might just be a poor player. Who knows but he shouldn’t be chosen above others who have looked promising, just because his parent club is a crap premier league team.

• Like 3

Had a bad feeling as soon as Lenihan was missing, an even worse feeling when Nyambe went off. Sorry but Magloire is garbage, in fact so is Danny Ward but he scored 2 of the easiest goals he'll score all season (if he even scores again). If Nyambe was concussion that also means we can't play him on Saturday regardless right? 

Can't get my head round why Butterworth, who changed the game against Hull has been shunted aside ever since then? 

If we have to play Magloire on Saturday then I'd just play him as a right back to be honest, at least he can use his pace to his advantage a bit, Buckley will be wasted as a wing back and Magloire seemingly can't win a header. 

We'll definitely see some goals at the seaside that's for certain. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Mercer said:

I think I know to the nearest £thousand / per week.

My understanding is his Leeds' salary is £2MILLION+ pa and the + is significant!!!

We’re only paying a contribution of 10K / week. 

It’s a disappointment losing and yet again, the feeling that this is the start of a bad run, is bound to surface, due to that being a regular feature, under this manager.

It makes Saturday big in more ways than one and given the likely weakened defence , it becomes a big worry. The best form of defence is attack, so I think we need to go at them on Saturday and try to get the positive start, firmly cemented and go into the international break on a high.

Hopefully the break will give us the chance to get the injured players back and have some impetus again. It will be a long two week break, should we lose.

Edited by lraC

The basic problem is the old one after 4/5 years we lack the organisational ability and resilience to defend as a group. I can’t remember which one of the old arsenal defenders said” they were told to imagine they were strapped together by a rope and move as a unit”. The first sign of pressure we fold it’s every man for themselves. It’s all just very amateurish. We will finish mid table due to individual ability negated by poor organisation. The first one requires little management input the second one is all about management.

• Like 5

I think what frustrates me the most is that situations are so avoidable. No depth and minimum experience after 4+ years of these same struggles is criminal. It's the definition of madness, doing the same thing over and over yet expecting different results. 

What makes it worse is the first 11 is surprisingly solid and good, as evidenced by Saturdays excellent display, despite the lack of strengthening it has had. If we - or rather TM - had learned some of the most obvious lessons we would have built on a promising first 11 and fantastic academy and been in a good position, despite the albatross of Venkys. 

It's the same mistakes:

- some formations just don't work for us. 

- we have always been short on defenders and signing an injured loanee isn't going to help. 

- you can't build a squad on loanees

- you need experience in the squad.

The latter always pees me off most as TM always bangs on about it, and in all industries including football, the benefits of experience are evident to see. This team really could do with some more nous. It goes such a long way to making players better, limiting their weaknesses and managing games. We have so little it hurts. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, J*B said:

We’re only paying a contribution of 10K / week. 

Wish I was only on £10k / week!!!

My understanding is it was more than that and made him one of our highest earners!

However, puts paid to those on here who thought Leeds were paying him a pittance!

7 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

Sadly he had little alternative. The likes of Holtby, Evans and Downing were correctly allowed to bet let go but we were only given the money to be able to afford a handful of kids on loan. Mowbray said he wanted experience but couldnt afford it so when we get an injury or two we look really shaky.

Aberdeen manager confirmed we had a 500k bid turned down for Hedges?

No argument the budget was minimal but shows we had a little money and an alternative to restricting all our signings to loan deals with the exception of Edun

6 hours ago, booth said:

He might just be a poor player. Who knows but he shouldn’t be chosen above others who have looked promising, just because his parent club is a crap premier league team.

The question I would ask, is why can't he get a game at Leeds ? They are a very poor team ...

15 minutes ago, Mercer said:

Wish I was only on £10k / week!!!

My understanding is it was more than that and made him one of our highest earners!

However, puts paid to those on here who thought Leeds were paying him a pittance!

I would love to know what we amount we are haggling about with the out of contract players. I'd be confident in saying it's not anywhere near what we are paying Leeds for the luxury of having one of their players grace our club.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, arbitro said:

I would love to know what we amount we are haggling about with the out of contract players. I'd be confident in saying it's not anywhere near what we are paying Leeds for the luxury of having one of their players grace our club.

Yes, that was about to be my next point, no wonder we can't afford to give Nyambe et al what they want when we're paying Leeds a small fortune to hire a player they seemingly want off the premises.

Plus what we're paying the other 3.

• Like 5

Not going to get carried away by last night’s result. Disappointing but the injuries took their toll in the end. We’re still in the top 6 so it’s hardly a disaster. How we react on Saturday is more significant I’d suggest. Could be a good time for an international break.

Poveda was appalling.

• Like 2

On Poveda; I think it was quite telling that Travis refused to pass him the ball and instead tried to jink his way towards the bye line towards the end when it seemed Poveda was in a much better position to get a cross in.

Poveda had a lot of the ball and was awful with it.

10 hours ago, booth said:

Well I'm certainly not going to bow to yours with some of your past statements and being the original resident contrarian.

Magloire has never convinced. Edun has been purchased, I would hope, because he's a decent defender.

But I imagine you thought that Clarkson and Poveda were the perfect substitutes for tonights game, Mowbray did great and was unlucky, ra ra ra.

Lol 😆 

I struggle how you think me comparing last night to last season is in any way saying Mowbray did great. Having said that it was past your bed time so you were possibly too tired to read to the end of my post 😉

Resident contrarian made me laugh - football is about opinions - obviously ours don't match.

Edited by DavidMailsTightPerm

• Moderation Lead
8 hours ago, Sparks Rover said:

Yada yada, funds available but we end up with 3 absolute stinkers as last minute summer signings...summer is when you have the time to make your choices, not one experienced proper footballer for ages

You know he’s got you on ignore, don’t you? So you might as well be talking to yourself…

• Like 1