BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v Huddersfield (a) - 28/09/2021

Still reeling. I think generally the team put in a decent amount of effort and injuries played a huge part. However, subs were atrocious. Why put Magloire on and go back 3? Not up to it unfortunately. Plus, it took Buckley back out wide where we know he is ineffective. 

As for that Poveda - I would have played better and i am in my mid-40's. He should be sent back. Lack of desire, effort, and ability. Khadra has something and at least he showed that he wanted to do well. 

Edited by JacknOry

4 minutes ago, K-Hod said:

You know he’s got you on ignore, don’t you? So you might as well be talking to yourself…

He still reads the posts. You can click to unhide the posts of those on ignore - no chance Chaddy doesn't read them - otherwise he'd have nothing to read on the boards.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, RoverInverness said:

Seen in isolation last night’s result and performance were not terrible. We were very unlucky to lose Nyambe and the result may well have been different had we not. We fought and battled. We didn’t deserve to lose. It is a forgiving league and a team pushing for a play off place can easily lose away to a rival and can just come back next match and keep gathering in the points required.

However, when the manager has been here nearly five f*****g years it is simply impossible to see the result in isolation. We still can’t f*****g defend. Still! Over four years of this crap we have endured and we still can’t achieve our potential due to leaking goals and being unable to withstand pressure. In fairness to Mowbray we actually now have the best first choice back four since Hanley and Duffy left (it only took him four seasons), but beyond the first choice four it is the same old disorganised crock of shite. Too much space for the opposition, not closing down, yada f*****g yada. IT IS THE MANAGERS JOB TO ORGANISE THE BLOODY DEFENCE. It doesn’t matter who the individual defenders are, the manager has to take responsibility for continuously poor and disorganised defending. OK, in a dream world he could finally play four -Nyambe, Lenihan, Ayala, Pickering -   who seem to be able to look after themselves every week. However, who would have thought one of them may get injured one day, let alone two? Oh no Tony, shock horror, you may have to play some inexperienced average quality defenders from time to time and YOU might have to take responsibility for actually drilling them beforehand how to defend and setting the team up in a way that their weaknesses don’t get exposed.

I am absolutely sick of the man. Two goals away from home, decent performance and we still lose ‘cos we ship three. Same old, same old, same old, same old. I’m sick of it and it looks like Brereton and Rothwell and Lenihan and Nyambe must be sick of it too. 

I had hoped the thin squad could make it to the international break!

We all knew that a couple (more) injuries in defence would really cost us. As for Poveda, it almost looked like deliberate sabotage!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Angry_Pirate said:

Paying any loan player £10,000 per week is criminal - especially that one - when an extra £3,000 (each) could reasonably be the difference in contract extensions being agreed/declined for Rothwell, Nyambe and Lenihan.

Mowbray and Waggott - they're stripping us bare.

I don't think it's the weekly wage budget per se which is the issue but the structure. Otherwise the Arma funds could easily add a few grand to each offer. 

Apologies for going a bit Football Manager, but if player A is rated at an Important Player we might only offer those 10k a week max, because that's the limit for an Important Player. If you suddenly cave in to 13k a week, all the others at that level will want an increase. 

We work at much lower levels but look at Barca. By continually increasing Messi's wage, all their other signings and contract extensions also pushed for more. 

As much as the regime is hated by some here, they're trying to show a degree of financial control. Lest we forget the days of Murphy, Best, Etuhu. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, yankfan said:

His passing was awful. Had more energy than Poveda and looked as though he cared, but was very poor in distributing the ball 

Yes, supposedly his best attribute, so what else can he contribute as he is so small and lightweight. I was so looking forward to him playing, but so far has been a bitter disappointment. I hope that he can improve with more game time, likewise Khadra, but for me Poveda doesn’t look like a player to me, but I hope he proves me wrong. 

• Like 1

Just a word on Gallagher. We’ve all seen players have bad games - it happens all the time. It’s usually down to bad decision making, not working hard enough, they’re just too slow, they couldn’t hit a barn door from ten yards, being played out of position or a myriad of reasons.

They can all between them trap a ball though. We can’t ever rely on Gallagher showing even the basic fundamentals required of a footballer.

Edited by den
  • Like 2

56 minutes ago, alex l said:

I don't think it's the weekly wage budget per se which is the issue but the structure. Otherwise the Arma funds could easily add a few grand to each offer. 

Apologies for going a bit Football Manager, but if player A is rated at an Important Player we might only offer those 10k a week max, because that's the limit for an Important Player. If you suddenly cave in to 13k a week, all the others at that level will want an increase. 

We work at much lower levels but look at Barca. By continually increasing Messi's wage, all their other signings and contract extensions also pushed for more. 

As much as the regime is hated by some here, they're trying to show a degree of financial control. Lest we forget the days of Murphy, Best, Etuhu. 

What about the cost of replacing the out of contract players should they leave? If we replace them with Championship ready players it could conceivably cost more. Replacing them with kids isn't the answer neither as that will only end one way. It all points back to Mowbray and Waggott being allowed to spend between 150 and 175% of our income on wages which, over their tenure amounts to tens of millions. 

And didn't Waggott boast about the massive offer to Armstrong to get him to stay. Surely that would have blown the alleged wage structure out of the water. 

Edited by arbitro
  • Like 3

6 minutes ago, arbitro said:

What about the cost of replacing the out of contract players should they leave? If we replace them with Championship ready players it could conceivably cost more. Replacing them with kids isn't the answer neither as that will only end one way. It all points back to Mowbray and Waggott being allowed to spend between 150 and 175% of our income on wages which, over their tenure amounts to tens of millions. 

And didn't Waggott boast about the massive offer to Armstrong to get him to stay. Surely that would have blown the alleged wage structure out of the water. 

The so called massive offer to Armstrong...do we believe that? My sense is that the club needed him out for the transfer fee/FFP etc.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Leonard Venkhater said:

The so called massive offer to Armstrong...do we believe that? My sense is that the club needed him out for the transfer fee/FFP etc.

I stopped believing a lot of what comes out of Ewood a long time ago Lenny but I mentioned it to show the contradiction of what Waggott says whichhe shouldbe accountable for. I think the only way they can get spending under any semblance of control is by cutting the wage bill even if that is to the detriment of footballing status of the club. And the main reason he has to do it is because he has hugely failed in his main objective which was to increase income. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, den said:

Just a word on Gallagher. We’ve all seen players have bad games - it happens all the time. It’s usually down to bad decision making, not working hard enough, they’re just too slow, they couldn’t hit a barn door from ten yards, being played out of position or a myriad of reasons.

They can all between them trap a ball though. We can’t ever rely on Gallagher showing even the basic fundamentals required of a footballer.

Its down to Mogadon, Gally is what he is, shouldn't play to close to the sidelines as he always runs it out.  He's an up top merchant, through the middle everytime.  MIsused.  I'm not a fan of his but my god he should be used to his strengths.

On the defending last night after nyambe went off.....I'm blaming Mogadon again, going 3 CHs you could see the confusion about who should take who....when you play jut 2 CH then its simple.....not excusing bad jumping but if his starting position was better he could have competed....thats the coaches fault for unbalancing the team after an injury.   And to put Bucko as defensive cover down the right was a mistake beyond belief.    

Mogadon Out!

• Like 9

3 minutes ago, Sparks Rover said:

Its down to Mogadon, Gally is what he is, shouldn't play to close to the sidelines as he always runs it out.  He's an up top merchant, through the middle everytime.  MIsused.  I'm not a fan of his but my god he should be used to his strengths.

On the defending last night after nyambe went off.....I'm blaming Mogadon again, going 3 CHs you could see the confusion about who should take who....when you play jut 2 CH then its simple.....not excusing bad jumping but if his starting position was better he could have competed....thats the coaches fault for unbalancing the team after an injury.   And to put Bucko as defensive cover down the right was a mistake beyond belief.    

Mogadon Out!

Agreed.

17 minutes ago, Leonard Venkhater said:

I highly doubt there was this massive offer too, it had been obvious the club were putting AA into the shop window throughout the season. They needed the sale to balance the FFP books due to signing SG and BB on big fees. Originally the plan would have been Dack, so they got lucky that AA stepped up.

That said, whether the contract offer is true or not, just saying it is a massive contradiction. If we break wage structure for one player, others start asking for increases etc. So why would that not have happened when AA signed his massive contract? For a start, Nyambe will not be on much and coming from league 1, I doubt Rothwell is either - surely they deserve contracts in line with what their roles in the team are. Rothwell is arguably one of our most important players and Nyambe is the only RB we got.

Edited by JacknOry
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Sparks Rover said:

Mogadon Out!

Gally needs the ball played into space in front of him. Playing to feet is a waste of time.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces

2 hours ago, DavidMailsTightPerm said:

Lol 😆 

I struggle how you think me comparing last night to last season is in any way saying Mowbray did great. Having said that it was past your bed time so you were possibly too tired to read to the end of my post 😉

Resident contrarian made me laugh - football is about opinions - obviously ours don't match.

Nah, I read it, I just think you're a bit odd if you think that changing the shape of the team to include Magloire was in any way a good idea. It's your opinion but any person who watched can see you were wrong. It made us not only weak in defence but none existent in midfield.

Would using Edun at the back have been a perfect solution? No, but I'd have taken it over Magloire and a formation change. It's not the first time Mowbray has used Magloire this season and worsened the team as a result. Magloire is almost 23, not a young lad like Clarkson.

You've been a contrarian and apologist for all sorts on here over the years. I took it as you were seeking attention, so I usually just ignore but as you quoted me I replied.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, den said:

Gally needs selling to some other club and replacing with a better striker.

He was a weak link going forward last night. Either misplaced passes, terrible control or running into trouble. One of those games where he offered absolutely nothing.

• Like 2

I thought we did well last night overall. All you can ever ask is that your team gives it their all and never gives up until the final whistle. Brereton and Rothwell were outstanding I thought. What a mess that we've let a lot of our best players enter the final 12 months of their contract. It's unforgivable really. 

Our defence without Lenihan is always a shambles. It went completely to pot when Nyambe went off. Magloire is nowhere near ready for this level but you can't blame him too much. 

Despite the disappointment of last night, I have a much firmer belief now that we may actually have a decent season this year. Yes, we've got a worse team than last year but so have the vast majority of the teams in this league. This surely has to be the weakest league since we got relegated from the prem with most teams cutting back due to financial problems from covid. 

1 hour ago, booth said:

Would using Edun at the back have been a perfect solution? No, but I'd have taken it over Magloire and a formation change. 

Correct. He should have put the full back we had on the bench on as full back and left DA and HC as proper 2 in the middle.  Moving Bucko meant a change in the middle, so basically Mogadon switched the whole set up after 20 minutes.  Does he have so little faith in his system that he would abandon it so quickly?    Thinks he's clever.  The full backs instincts are the same whichever foot he kicks with, Mogga's had a nightmare.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, den said:

Gally needs selling to some other club and replacing with a better striker.

You've not got the greatest record when it comes to spotting a striker, 83 goals in 150 games Jordan Rhodes springs to mind.

Gallagher has started the season well, 3 goals in the league so far I believe, he's doing ok in my book.