BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v Coventry City (h) - 16/10/21

20 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Just back from the game and It's a game when we should be having 3 points from and win on the board. But we aren't and I will discuss in my opinion why that is. 

So on to first half, Both sides had chances with Kaminski making 2 good saves whilst Nyambe had a shot that forced their keeper Moore into a good side. We scored 2 good goals with Rothwell and Gallagher scoring. Like I said in the build up to the games I am not worried about us scoring goals cos the players always step up and performs. I felt the 3 at the back was working well and we look quite solid. My only 2 concerns at half time was Buckley being booked and Gallagher overall performance. 

Second half we started off slow and for me far too deep was defensive line of our back 3. We need to push up and play 15 yards further forward but we couldn't keep hold of the ball enough. And We conceded twice with 7 mins of each other. Felt we let them in far too easily for the first goal and Lenihan/Edun should have done better but this was after a poor pass by Gallagher to allow them the ball back. With the second goal, we left loads of space in centre midfield and Kelly had space and time to hit it and he did. It was Own goal but we were far too easy to play against. After the second goal went in, the Rovers fans wanted Brereton Diaz on and was chanting for him to come on. And he did. He lift the crowd and his team mates. Thought he would win it for us and he almost did. But it was good save from Moore and I think offside he was. So it was point on the board. 

I Felt Rovers best players was Joe Rothwell and Ryan Nyambe today. Rothwell deserved MOTM and Nyambe was very good aswell. Lenihan had a good first half but was poor second half and looked uneasy at the left centre back role. 

On to the Rovers playing 3 at the back, I felt the first half we look quite solid and second half I didn't feel like it was problem and the reasons why we conceded 2 goals and playing so badly second half. 

On the subs, Mowbray should have taken Buckley off a half time or just after second half(first 10 mins of the half) cos we need a midfielder who could have put tackles in and Buckley couldn't due to being on Yellow card from first half. I wouldn't have bought on Poveda for Dolan but I would have bought on Butterworth.. Poveda was poor again and lost the ball a number of times. I would send him back to Leeds in January if he doesn't improve shortly.  Agree with Brereton for Gallagher who was poor despite his goal. 

On Mowbray, Far too slow second half to making changes to the team. Plus why isn't he telling the back 5 to push further up the pitch instead of being so deep. Plus why can't we keep clean sheet when we are 2 nil up or winning. 

The fans was great again and provide a good overall atmosphere and the Coventry fans played their part in this. 

Also It was good to see the TV screen working and showing the lineups and Replays. Plus enjoyed the new scoreboard and minute clock that the club have installed now. Good to finally see this. 

Plus David Speedie came on to the pitch at half time and got a good reception from both set of fans

Not a word for Bucko who you said we should be building the team around?

An entertaining game if you were a neutral, few thoughts from myself:

- Ayala still looking like a ball magnet this season, Lenihan also looked solid next to him. Van Hecke was on his arse after 70 mins as you’d expect after an injury but Tony had obviously used all his subs and left us well open at the back there. 

- Edun looked pretty uninterested (and poor). It’s the balance of these loan signings i.e how arsed is someone like him or Poveda compared to someone like an Elliott (quality aside). Any reason the Khadra wasn’t in the squad and Poveda was? 
edit: a few are saying Edun had a good game, maybe I’m wrong here, just personally thought it was all a bit half hearted compared to Nyambe on the right (ie all the first half came up our right)

- Wrong decision to sub Dolan, certainly not for Poveda. 

- Nyambe was immense, especially first half. Worrying that himself, Rothwell and Diaz are all running their contracts down. 

- Buckley also really looked good first half. Hooked because the ref was an absolute joke (for both sides as they had a blatant penalty waved away from where I was sat)

Overall a disappointing end after a great 25 mins in the first half, but these kind of draws and 9th in the league is about our limit with this coaching team.

Great to get back to Ewood after leaving the UK this summer…my first match since pre-Covid (Swansea 29th feb I think). But as it has looked on the TV, it’s bloody deserted. 10k or so home fans today and it’s very flat (without the rovers darwen end fans, there isn’t the same home noise). Riverside also looking very sparse. Waggot has a lot to answer for. 

Edited by superniko
  • Like 6

4 minutes ago, superniko said:

An entertaining game if you were a neutral, few thoughts from myself:

- Ayala still looking like a ball magnet this season, Lenihan also looked solid next to him. Van Hecke was on his arse after 70 mins as you’d expect after an injury but Tony had obviously used all his subs and left us well open at the back there. 

- Edun looked pretty uninterested (and poor). It’s the balance of these loan signings i.e how arsed is someone like him or Poveda compared to someone like an Elliott (quality aside). Any reason the Khadra wasn’t in the squad and Poveda was?

- Wrong decision to sub Dolan, certainly not for Poveda. 

- Nyambe was immense, especially first half. Worrying that himself, Rothwell and Diaz are all running their contracts down. 

- Buckley also really looked good first half. Hooked because the ref was an absolute joke (for both sides as they had a blatant penalty waved away from where I was sat)

Overall a disappointing end after a great 25 mins in the first half, but these kind of draws and 9th in the league is about our limit with this coaching team.

Great to get back to Ewood after leaving the UK this summer…my first match since pre-Covid (Swansea 29th feb I think). But as it has looked on the TV, it’s bloody deserted. 10k or so home fans today and it’s very flat (without the rovers darwen end fans, there isn’t the same home noise). Riverside also looking very sparse. Waggot has a lot to answer for. 

Edun is not a loan signing so his supposed lack of interest cannot be put down to that, although I personally am not keen on the assumption that a loan signing will automatically put less effort in. Elliott is an example that you have given as proof that it is purely down to the individual, indeed all 4 loanees I suspect will struggle to ever breakthrough at their parent clubs, so they are in the shop window. I just think that all 4 are very raw and not particularly good for us at this moment in time, sadly due to our disinterested owners, such signings are deemed as necessary to pad out the squad, more useful than say 4 of our kids (ones that arent already involved in the first team) but ideally we could sign better.

I thought Edun had a very mixed game though similarly to you, took too many risks at time (which to be fair many of our players were afraid to do) but often lost it in dangerous areas. He tired though and Mowbray mentioned him and Van Hecke post match as players who tired.

Khadra also had tonsillitis according to Rich Sharpe as well as PIckering.

Edited by roversfan99

Today was something I have witnessed far too often under Mowbray. I think the phrase 'game of two halves' came about because of his teams propensity to perform differently in the same game. In the box seat, two up and relatively comfortable and half time kills us. We were full of attacking intent in the first half with our wing backs causing them all manner of problems. In the second half they barely crossed the half way line and we, to all intents and purposes played a back five. Robins did a number on Mowbray as he changed their shape at half time and the controlled the midfield. For me it was crying out for Bradley Johnson but instead we got Davenport.

I'm so fed up with this bloke now as I really believe he is costing us vital points which is essentially down to his tactical misgivings.

• Like 9

4 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Edun is not a loan signing so his supposed lack of interest cannot be put down to that, although I personally am not keen on the assumption that a loan signing will automatically put less effort in. I thought he had a very mixed game though, took too many risks at time (which to be fair many of our players were afraid to do) but often lost it in dangerous areas. He tired though and Mowbray mentioned him and Van Hecke post match as players who tired.

Khadra also had tonsillitis according to Rich Sharpe as well as PIckering.

Ah my bad, I had in my head he was a loanee for some reason.

I guess with the effort comment I’m probably thinking how much does someone like Poveda care walking off the pitch…but then again from what friends in Leeds say it’s the same deal there. More the personality of the player than anything else. 

Yeah van Hecke was visibly shattered at the end. 

• Like 1

I think our major flaw is in the middle of the park. Watching from the Jack Walker we always seem a yard off. Opposition defenders head out no midfield challenge. Opposition attack our defenders clear no midfield. Brereton and Gallagher were both berating them because they seem to have lost any awareness or anticipation. We don’t seem to be able to maintain pressure or relieve pressure because we are never first to the ball. All in all a draw was no more than we deserved. Tactical average. Butterworth no poveda. 
Ive reached the point where I’m not sure what the answer is if it’s not changing the manager.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Boroblue said:

I think our major flaw is in the middle of the park. Watching from the Jack Walker we always seem a yard off. Opposition defenders head out no midfield challenge. Opposition attack our defenders clear no midfield. Brereton and Gallagher were both berating them because they seem to have lost any awareness or anticipation. We don’t seem to be able to maintain pressure or relieve pressure because we are never first to the ball. All in all a draw was no more than we deserved. Tactical average. Butterworth no poveda. 
Ive reached the point where I’m not sure what the answer is if it’s not changing the manager.

travis especially let his level drop in the 2nd half,tbf,he`s not been the same player since his knee injury,he looks like he`s running in concrete boots late in games

All I know, is what I read on bbc gametracker, but it’s terribly disappointing to be 2-0 and come out with only a point. Yet again. I will not question the players’ effort. 

How close are we to seeing Dack & JR-C on the pitch? Those guys could be game changers in midfield.

Otherwise, I’m fuming over all the lost points we’ve seen after HT this season, and wishing we could see some big changes. IMO, Rovers fans have been very patient with mgmt so far, receiving so little in return. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, blondie said:

There has to be a point when major decisions have to be made about the current set-up from top to bottom.

Wishful thinking blondie.

I ask the question who is going to make these (much needed) decisions when the people at the very top appear not to know their Arse from their Elbow?

We are a rudderless ship and this malaise will sadly continue until Venkys feck off for good.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, roversfan99 said:

Agreed on Lenihan looking uncomfortable as a left centre back, a direct result of playing 3 at the back. I do think that it was part of the problem out of inviting pressure in the second half.

first half he looked fine and good at left side of the back 3. Second half he got exposed there. 

We invited pressure cos we sat back as defensive unit and our defensive line was too deep by around 15 yards in my opinion. 

A big issue for us is the inability of Dolan and Gallagher to hold the ball up.

Thought Dolan did that well first half but he was shattered second half and thats understandable given he been ill all week and only a hour of training this week. 

Gallagher should be better at holding the ball up, but also we need to look at the quality of the out ball

The defensive record is really poor, 2 clean sheets is not enough to build on, the idea of becoming a more defensively solid team as you have mentioned wont be happening soon I don't think.

I think the majority of the time we look solid and good but we can't defending properly for 90 minutes. 

Disagree on Poveda too.

We have to agree to disagree on him and his performance. 

1 hour ago, superniko said:

Yeah van Hecke was visibly shattered at the end. 

And had to stay on because Mowbray didn't have a defender on the bench and was wary of switching to 4-4-2, I presume. Presumably, Johnson would be the emergency defender if someone got injured.

Credit to the team for a good first half but it is hard to have any enthusiasm for what is, as suggested above, a directionless team. Butterworth and Burns should be on the bench and getting minutes ahead some of the loanees. Khadra, if fit, should be the only one there, whilst Clarkson and Poveda should be proving themselves in the U23s, based on current form.

Again, I'm reluctant to fault these young loanees too much, coming into a disorganised team and, in Clarkson's case, being played out of position in an attacking midfield role. If I'm not mistaken, Poveda was false 9 at one point. They may well be excellent players but if they're not making an impact, they should be building their confidence and form in the U23s.

Edited by riverholmes

Another frustrating day at the office, and another Mowbray interview saying the opposition are a good team. They aren't, they were shite and tbh that's the most annoying thing. 

I wonder if playing 3 at the back was tactical, or did he basically want to shoehorn Van Hecke into the team? Pretty sure it's the latter. I didn't think he looked too bad in fairness until he visibly tired and started looking like a clumsy lump.

Agree with what others have said about Poveda. Yet to see anything appealing about this lad, same goes for Clarkson. Khadra looks to have something about him but seems a bit of a crock up to now.

Poor subs, we needed Johnson today, Buckley was treading on egg shells after he for a talking to not long after his yellow and it showed. 

The only sub of any merit was Diaz but it was too little too late.

I can see the QPR game being very similar in terms of goals at both ends.

• Like 3

First game for a while and, despite the disappointment of letting Coventry back into it, I thought it was an entertaining ninety minutes, especially the latter part of the second half. Both teams went for the winner and it was reminiscent of a cup tie.

We have a squad of very good players and the odd tweak here and there, coupled with a new, young, dynamic manager, could see us going places. If only we had someone of the calibre of Jack Walker around the place. Not from a finance point of view, just someone with the foresight to realise how little could be required to get to the next level.

Very frustrating. 

• Like 8

Same old same old from borebray Christ almighty does the absolute bonehead not learn from his mistakes ? Second game I’ve been at home this season and it is the same result 2 up at half time sit back invite pressure abs inevitably concede an equaliser from 2 piss poor goals that’s not 4 times off the top of my head we’ve blown 2-0  leads at half time Wigan, Preston, Luton, now Coventry not to mention the times we’ve  just nicked it from 2-0 leads like at mk dons and Walsall. It’s pathetic and it’s not good enough all I saw the clown do was clap like a seal hands on his head then sits down soon as they equalise when any proper manager would be going ape sh*t 

makes me ask myself if I wanna bother now, I’m not a season ticket holder so I pick and choose my games and it’s just not wiry spending 25 quid plus, travel as I live in Preston aswell as food and drink and when my brothers ticket for this shambles and to be coming home fuming. Don’t care if sheff United is only 15 quid a ticket it ain’t worth it for this absolute garbage. 

we need a manager that will get the best out of his team and go for the kill, Luton, blackpool, Coventry all poor quality sides who have taken points off us from conceding pathetic school boy error goals I’m absolutely sick to death of it 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, broadsword said:

Apart from the Facebook crew, did anyone actually back mowbray anymore? 

I would've thought he'd lost the entire crowd by now

Like I’ve put on the TM thread, there’s not even a hint of the crowd even being close to turning. 

You would have to go back to Hughes for the last time a manager was seemingly so universally backed by the Ewood crowd…

Edited by Mattyblue

35 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Picture of the new scoreboard and minutes clock

20211016_145454.jpg

We have a dirty ground in an ever worsening state of disrepair. Instead of fixing broken speakers all around the ground we turn them off. We have scrapped the programme due to the cost of it. Staffing costs are being cut left and right in all areas on and off the pitch. That’s just to name a few things, and let’s not forget fans are still refused refunds they are entitled to. However, we can buy a new scoreboard despite the old one appearing to function perfectly adequately and having a fucking massive screen in one corner of the ground.

• Like 5

9 minutes ago, Fraserkirky said:

Can’t believe there are folk in here criticizing Poveda, he looked pretty decent today, folk are just desperate for a scapegoat. Don’t know where the hell he plays though, that’s a problem. 

Always 1 touch too many