BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v Coventry City (h) - 16/10/21

1 hour ago, rigger said:

I am starting to think, that is part of Mowbrays master plan to keep us mid table and in his comfort zone.

Mowbray’s idea of a master plan is shambling along hoping no one notices he’s making it up as he’s going along.

• Like 5

9 minutes ago, Sparks Rover said:

Too passive.  Their number 6 constantly broke into midfield and Bucko looked frightened to death cos the big boys were coming.....no challenge, no engagement.... he's never a central midfielder

I'm not sure what his position is.

Too weak to play central

Too slow to play in a wide position.

No ability to score from a forward position.

57 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

I would be happy with a mid table this season and then replace Mowbray with a new manager/head coach coming in this summer and spending the money that should be available given that we can spend money and FFP year 1 spend is gone given us more room to spend. 

If we finish mid table this year they’ll offer him another contract. Guaranteed.

21 minutes ago, arbitro said:

The referee was embarrassingly inconsistent. Kane should have been cautioned for a cynical, technical foul early on and we he was then cautioned later on would have been sent off. Buckley was lucky as his two indiscretions were both yellow cards again highlighting an inconsistency. His performance was summed up at start of the second half kick off. He made the Coventry player move the ball a few centimetres on the centre Mark drawing unnecessary attention to himself before the second half had even kicked off. And the ball was certainly going to be kicked backwards anyway. Absolutely pedantic and it spoke volumes about his performance. That said he denied Coventry what looked to me like a clear penalty which could have resulted in a defeat for us.

An insignificant thing, but something that showed the refs inconsistancy. In the first half we had a corner which the ref delayed by going over to the corner flag to make sure the ball was correctly positioned. As the ball was not subsequently moved, it must have been in the right place. A few minutes later Coventry had a corner and from where I was sat the ball looked out of the quadrant. The ref just waved the coventry player to take the kick. 

7 minutes ago, Wheelton Blue said:

Too weak to play central

Not all wide player are super fast, an ability to deliver good passes  can make up for a lack of speed. I agree with the other two points.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

He signed that goalscorer to be fair as well as the one last year who scored 28 goals and made the club a considerable amount to which he wasnt able to reinvest in a replacement. We also lost 2 games recently in which 2 key injuries left us uncompetitive due to the inadequacy of what we had left.

Mowbray shouldn't be still in a job even acknowledging a decent start considering the cut backs and pitiful lack of reinvestment allowance in the summer due to the stagnation seen last season. We need a fresh start and we need someone to overperform in reality which is possible, see Barnsley last year and Coventry so far this year. But it is not a top 6 squad at all even considering the poor standard of league. Our first 11 is pretty much known, Kaminski, Nyambe, Lenihan, Ayala, Pickering, Travis, Buckley, Rothwell, Dolan, Gallagher, Brereton. That isnt a top 6 starting 11, and it has started only 4 games this season, beyond that there is nothing. 4 loanee kids making up the numbers on cheap deals, and basically nothing else.

I dunno if it's not good enough, Its not far off top 6 anyway, due to the poor standard of the league this year. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, chaddyrovers said:

Well, where can I start with this, You know the reasons why we didn't get a replacement in and why we couldn't spend money we received cos we have to meet FFP rules and not having an official embargo from the FA. 

What? You were rightly slating them for not signing anyone after the window closed, now this is your view? Jesus Chaddy.....

Not replacing Armstrong was inexcusable when he knew for months he would be leaving 

Edited by Bigdoggsteel
  • Like 2

20 minutes ago, rigger said:

An insignificant thing, but something that showed the refs inconsistancy. In the first half we had a corner which the ref delayed by going over to the corner flag to make sure the ball was correctly positioned. As the ball was not subsequently moved, it must have been in the right place. A few minutes later Coventry had a corner and from where I was sat the ball looked out of the quadrant. The ref just waved the coventry player to take the kick. 

Not to mention him (& the linesman) completely missing the fact that Davenport was stood a yard onto the pitch when he took a throw in towards the end - it wasn't even close! I couldn't stop laughing.

33 minutes ago, rigger said:

Not all wide player are super fast, an ability to deliver good passes  can make up for a lack of speed. I agree with the other two points.

Yeah but he proved at Huddersfield he can't play wide, doesn't track back, can't support his full back or right side of a 3.  Therefore, it's a mystery.  Another Lowe from Bolton

49 minutes ago, rigger said:

As I said inconsistent and pedantic. Two of the worst possible traits for a referee to have.

• Backroom
42 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

What? You were rightly slating them for not signing anyone after the window closed, now this is your view? Jesus Chaddy.....

Not replacing Armstrong was inexcusable when he knew for months he would be leaving 

The excuse for this always seems to be "we were going to sign Maja but he failed a medical, so what can you do?" - ignoring the fact that the club's solution to this issue was apparently to hedge its bets on a player who was known to be injured and must have had a high likelihood of failing the medical anyway, making it a pointless and dare I say desperate attempt to fix things at the last minute. Not too dissimilar to when we waited until the last day of the window to ship out Mulgrew and bring in a similarly injury-prone Cunningham who proceeded to pick up a serious injury soon after joining. It's not 'bad luck', it's just pathetically poor decisions being made by a broken structure. 

• Like 3

• Backroom
2 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

Well, where can I start with this, You know the reasons why we didn't get a replacement in and why we couldn't spend money we received cos we have to meet FFP rules and not having an official embargo from the FA. 

How were we about to spend £3m+ on Josh Maja on deadline day if we couldn't spend the Armstrong money?

5 hours ago, The Mighty Chaffinch said:

For me the current problem (aside from the manager) lies with the midfield. Rothwell was anonymous up until scoring yesterday and then anonymous again from half time up until the last 15 minutes. Travis has yet to find his pre-injury form (how long can we wait?) and Buckley (despite being decent on the ball) is still too lightweight. We are crying out for a midfield general…someone with a physical presence who can grab games by the scruff of the neck. I’m relatively happy with the defence, I just feel they are too often left exposed by a paper thin midfield…see Coventry’s second yesterday. It reminded me a bit of England in midweek, the clamour to include another attacking mid at the expense of a holding player cedes more control to the opposition. We are good at having quick bursts in games (see Swansea, Luton, Cardiff and yesterday) but rarely do we stamp dominance on a fixture over say, 40-50 minutes. Rothwell’s goal yesterday was the first by a midfielder this season…that is a worrying statistic too. You could argue that this has been Mowbray’s biggest blind spot in his tenure. He has brought in good forwards (Armstrong, Dack, Brereton…eventually) and recently better defenders (Ayala, Pickering)…but midfielders? We need a poor man’s Patrick Vieira, a Pound Shop Roy Keane…even a Aldi N’Zonzi. I won’t hold my breath in January. 

Strongly agree with this. Part of the issue has been the formation and tactics, with a lack of numbers in the middle and winger-forwards not defending but, personnel is an issue too. A lot of reliance is on Travis but his positioning and form hasn't been great.

It was imperative for Mowbray to sign a strong central midfielder in the summer. I suspect that Bradley Johnson will be the man to come in to strengthen, once he's fit, but we know from last season that he has a tendency to drift upfield and is, also, coming to the end of his career, so probably, will not improve things greatly.

Edited by riverholmes

1 hour ago, Fraserkirky said:

I think he needs to be right in front of the defense, as a midfield general. We tried him there at Bradford in preseason and he was great. 

I agree. I think his vision and ability to pick a pass are his biggest strengths.

2 hours ago, Butty said:

Under a different manager we could maybe squeeze into the top six but we will never finish there under Mowbray. 

Maybe so or not. Sadly I can predict what Venkys will do. 

2 hours ago, rigger said:

It was said that Gally was injured and was a doubt, yet he was picked. He looked unfit to me. In the second half he broke down the left, put a ball across the six yard box, it was picked up by Nyambe out wide right. Gally was stood with his hands on his knees, not even looking at what was happening with the ball. To me this was a managerial cock-up to pick an unfit player in the first place.

Some players weren't fully fit cos of illness or slight injuries meaning a lack of training over the past week. But they man up and played they part for us in yesterday game. Rather that then miss the game tbh. 

2 hours ago, Wheelton Blue said:

Why not get rid of him now and give a new guy the remainder of the season to assess what is needed?

Waiting any longer just delays things.

It's a fair point you make and reasonable. Depends who you and are they available. I know who I would want but would Venkys tho. Plus who is picking the next manager. 

2 hours ago, rigger said:

That is where we differ, I wouldn't be happy with mid-table.

What would you be happy then? 

1 hour ago, Wheelton Blue said:

Too weak to play central

Buckley is a centre midfielder who will control games for us. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Had we signed Maja it would have been brilliant. 

Yes it was inexcusable not to sign an Armstrong's replacement as I said previously. I would targeting Maja in January and Healey next summer 

46 minutes ago, Mike E said:

How were we about to spend £3m+ on Josh Maja on deadline day if we couldn't spend the Armstrong money?

We weren't spending 3 mil on Maja. It's a season long with view to signing him permanent next summer. Next summer we will lose season 1 spend of around 9 to 10 million pounds. Meaning we are spend some money plus probably some of the Brereton's money from his sale this coming summer. 

Edited by chaddyrovers

5 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Maybe so or not. Sadly I can predict what Venkys will do. 

Some players weren't fully fit cos of illness or slight injuries meaning a lack of training over the past week. But they man up and played they part for us in yesterday game. Rather that then miss the game tbh. 

It's a fair point you make and reasonable. Depends who you and are they available. I know who I would want but would Venkys tho. Plus who is picking the next manager. 

What would you be happy then? 

Buckley is a centre midfielder who will control games for us. 

Promotion.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

Well IMO, a bigger and more clearly scoreboard and mins board has been needed for years. The graphics on the old one wasn't clearer enough. I also like the fact we have TV screen which you can see replays on in the ground. 

Yes the ground does need a clearing and improving the facilities at the club. I would like the club to have free Wi-Fi in the ground for all fans and maybe a commentary service for fans inside the ground like we seen in England test match grounds for years now with commentary from SkySports

What speakers aren't working? 

Do you often forget what the score is?

Several speakers in the Riverside have been “fixed” by being switched off. On the way out yesterday the ones one the outside of the Blackburn End didn’t sound healthy. I don’t know about anywhere else as I don’t sit anywhere else.

Anyway, if your that excited about a new scoreboard, then crack on. It’s a completely unnecessary expense from a club pleading poverty and cutting back to the bone, but it’s barely worthy of discussion in the scheme of things.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

I would be happy with a mid table this season and then replace Mowbray with a new manager/head coach coming in this summer and spending the money that should be available given that we can spend money and FFP year 1 spend is gone given us more room to spend. 

Hang on a minute, about 5 posts earlier you were arguing with @roversfan99 (for a change) that we have a top 6 quality squad??!!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, chaddyrovers said:

Had we signed Maja it would have been brilliant. 

Yes it was inexcusable not to sign an Armstrong's replacement as I said previously. I would targeting Maja in January and Healey next summer 

Didn't Maja fail a medical despite being fit?

So, 4 months later you forget all that ? 🤷‍♂️