BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v QPR (a) - 19/10/21

Tony Mowbray’s comments after the game suggested the approach was based upon containing a QPR side who started the night a point better off than Rovers, containing for god's sake we are playing QPR not Man City or Liverpool, get at them from the first whistle and let them worry about us.

Mowbray comes out with the same old drivel on eve of every away match, reciting the opposition fear factor to his team talk and fans alike.

Edited by ewoody
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, AndyW said:

I think what he was trying to do was highlight how the team was set up. At no point did he actually defend those tactics but illustrated using the best publically available chance creation descriptor that, yes, indeed QPR created very little in the first half and indeed from open play all game.

Problem was, as we all saw, we created nothing (albeit we hit the post). So the balance in the match was wrong. But any chance to change it effectively was severely hampered by injuries.

Happy to discuss differences of opinion on tactical setups, the merits (or lack thereof) of xG & anything else. All opinions 100% valid, mine certainly has no more validity than anyone else's

The problem was we lost. No point in going there to frustrate the other team if you can't defend properly for an entire match. He should know that by now.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, islander200 said:

Have you seen some of the other teams squads and performances?We are poor but there is worse In this division.

I'm willing to take any bet that we won't go down this season?

Yes, - I didn’t mean I thought we’d go down, I merely meant that when we look back at the programmes from this season it would be so very obvious what a poor squad we had. 

1 hour ago, WacoRover said:

Scott Dann scored for Reading today, but they go down 2-3 to Blackpool. Jerry Yates with a brace. Two guys I wouldn’t mind having at Rovers.

I bet Royals are ready for us this weekend. 

I'd take tugay right now

Edited by roverandout
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Wegerleswiggle said:

https://www.lancs.live/sport/football/football-news/blackburn-rovers-mowbray-review-qpr-21910047

This is the type of material our local journalists need to be producing. A quality read by Jaquob Crooke

By far the best article Crooke has produced and even amongst  a number of good points, by far his most pertinent one is why any of the soon to be out of contract players would wish to commit to a Club that merely looks to be trying to get to through this season.

• Like 2

The comment about 'just getting through the season' rings true.

As far as we know Mowbray will leave at the end of the season (no bad thing) so he has no incentive to persuade any of the end-of-contract palyers to stay. I wouldn't be surprised if Waggott leaves when Mowbray does - he's retirement age and made his money. So why worry about the future of the club ? I don't suppose they do.

And of course, Venky's won't be losing any sleep over any of this. 

I will be glad to see the back of Mowbray and Waggott but Crooke is right - this season already looks like a write-off with no consideration of the future.

The club is adrift on the waters of neglect.

• Like 3

15 hours ago, Mike E said:

Their ineptitude is WHY they have to put up the cash. This club at this level could so easily be run at a profit AND challenge playoff spots given decent commercial nous.

How could the club make a profit at this level when we have such a high wage bill compare to Turnover 

15 hours ago, islander200 said:

Our debts are owed to the owners though.Well the majority of them.

Recent examples of teams going into admin, Bolton, Wigan and Derby owed millions to the tax man and other creditors

Very correct and putting the club into administration is pointless as their owed the vast majority of the debt. 

10 hours ago, AndyW said:

What I will also say is that to come out and say that we will be positive at QPR and then produce a game plan to do the exact opposite and then to not even acknowledge the travelling fans who are expecting a positive display is very poor indeed.

Mowbray's tactics and formation wasn't correct and we should gone Positive in 4-3-3 formation and attack them. 

But Mowbray instead went negative and try to get point. Feel very sorry for Rovers fans who travelled all the way for such a negative performance 

Edited by chaddyrovers

9 hours ago, Wegerleswiggle said:

https://www.lancs.live/sport/football/football-news/blackburn-rovers-mowbray-review-qpr-21910047

This is the type of material our local journalists need to be producing. A quality read by Jaquob Crooke

Yes, it’s excellent.

The most successful sides are the sides that go at the opposition from the off and never let up. Respect the opposition always, but never believe they have a right to beat you. Always believe that over 90 minutes you can impose your own game and get the better of them whoever they are.

No other way is going to make you successful IMO. 

All this talk about the opposition being ahead of you, or having more funds than you, gets you where exactly? It’s bollocks and will never get you to the top of any league.

• Like 6

Firstly thankyou for the detailed reply Mike and welcome the response. 

1 hour ago, Mike E said:

By getting our money's worth when selling players (even Armstrong was sold short by around £5m on false pretences). £3m for Raya? £3.5m for NZonzi? Cairney? Hanley? Duffy? Even the outgoing Nyambe and Rothwell are worth much more than we will get for them out of contract.

Why was the Armstrong transfer fee 5 million short and based on what? 

Didn't we received 5 mil for Raya? 

Agreed on Cairney transfers but not sure we should have got more than their fees for Hanley and Duffy. 

Well we only getting less than market value for Nyambe and Rothwell due to Contracts length and I don't like it anymore than anyone else but Rothwell has big clubs chasing him so might less sense for him to sign a new contract here. 

I expect Brereton will be sold in the summer for around 15 million and possible Kaminski for around 4 to 5 million pounds

1 hour ago, Mike E said:

By investing in solid young players instead of persisting with older players (we actually do this to an extent, in fairness, but there's no need for Johnson to still be here at the expense of an academy player or a more mobile purchased player)

Agree on Johnson point. I would rather have a young, talent squad than a old experience squad. 

Hoping John Park, the head of recruitment is out there scouting and recommend players. We have a recruitment department so lets hope that is on with finding January transfer targets and looking at Summer transfers transfers. 

1 hour ago, Mike E said:

By being better at negotiating contracts.

That would required a CEO with expertise but we should be bringing in experience Head of football operations or director of football who would be in charge of these sort of things. 

1 hour ago, Mike E said:

By being more astute with ticket pricing, which generates more income via tickets AND kiosks AND club shop.

Actual marketing! I think the £14.60 is the first good marketing initiative the club has had in years! The Oxford promotion game would've had a semi-competent CEO raking in the money for the club.

Equally, we should be raking in literally millions in Chilean pesos currently. Sell Chile shirts in the club shop. Sell Rovers streaming to Chilean fans. Sell Rovers shirts (even old ones) to Chilean fans.

I agree that the club should be much better astute in terms of lower ticket prices including Season tickets prices and match day tickets prices. I think ST should be £250 pounds for all areas of the ground apart from Jack Walker upper tier which I would price at £300. Match day prices would be £15 for most games and I would be offering the Preston game for £15 pounds for all areas of Ewood Park in December. 

The kiosks food and drink is poor and prices are ridiculous now and I refuse to pay it . The food should be much better and we should be offering much more vary types of food like Chips and curry or Slice of pizza. 

On the club shop, the clubs shirts/kits are over priced and should be available for £30 to 35 pounds and offering a 4xl size aswell. Plus we should be offering Rovers non kit shirts like Dolan shirt or Travis shirt. Both are very popular within the fan base. 

We need and should be more engage in schools, local kids clubs, etc and we should be offering free shirts, scarfs, books, etc. Plus have open days which they can meet the players and have interaction with them. 

Totally agreed on Brereton point and I believe it been raised with Fans forum meeting recently. Rovers could employed an external marketing company who has expertise in South America. They are out there and I know one which has the required expertise there. 

I believe Chilean fans can buy Rovers passes to stream Rovers games

1 hour ago, Mike E said:

By finding a sponsor for the Riverside.

By maintaining the ground regularly at a low level, instead of paying out for full repairs a year or two later.

fair enough, But I would say we need more sponsorship from local, nation and worldwide companies. Why hasn't Venkys used their contacts within India to find us any sponsor from the Asia market. 

agreed on the second point Mike. 

1 hour ago, Mike E said:

By making sure a £300k CEO earns his money.

appointing a better CEO who is more accessible to the fans and has been a success at another football club. I did suggested Dane Murphy to replace Waggott as CEO in the summer. He was very successful at Barnsley. Plus employ experience Marketing, communications, sales people. 

1 hour ago, Mike E said:

Basically if they run the club competently and with a bit of foresight, this club could and should either be more competitive in this league, OR be more profitable/sustainable, and probably both.

I agree the club should be run much better run and we should be looking to expand our fanbase 

Edited by chaddyrovers
  • Like 1

A bit embarrassed to say I missed this one even being on! Mind you, after the weekends debacle and the performance in this game perhaps a blessing in disguise. 

There's so many things wrong with this team it would be funny if it wasn't true. 

More by error than design we have a solid first 11 which due to lack of options has forced some consistency and a decent start. However as soon as injuries bite, or we have a few options, TM goes and messes it up. 

I still can't get my head round the fact that the loan defensive cover for injuries still isn't up to speed half way through October. Given we brought him injured this surely classes as gross incompetence. 

The 3 centre backs rears its head again, because it's only failed 9 times out of 10 when we have used it before. Seems a bit Blackadder "they'll never expect that the 111th plan is the same as the 110th" (not sure what the actual numbers are.) Why we use it when even the mighty Morecambe beat us when we used it is beyond me. 

None of our first 11 can have an off game. There's no spare capacity or options to cope with this. Mind you it's a good picture of what next year's team will look like. 

The loans - blimey if it wasn't bad enough relying on good loans, we now have a ton of crap ones. I mean it was never a sound strategy when they were good, but now they are poor it makes it even worse. Again after some of the dross we have had here on loan it's comical that we still have substandard loans. TM and Waggott never learn. 

Still there's a ton of crap teams in the Championship. We won't go down yet, despite us continuing to dismantle the team. After all after 4-5 years with no pressure and decent money, what can you expect but a bare bones squad. Negligent is the only way to describe this shower. 

• Like 7

12 hours ago, Wegerleswiggle said:

In terms of content, it is much better than usual although as I tend to find with all of his articles, it still borders on being unreadable with an overreliance on cliches and seemingly a desperation to use big words when they are unnecessary or even at times not befitting where they are placed. Ideally he should be putting this sort of questioning to the manager at press conferences but I suspect that he doesn't.

• Like 5

• Backroom
4 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

In terms of content, it is much better than usual although as I tend to find with all of his articles, it still borders on being unreadable with an overreliance on cliches and seemingly a desperation to use big words when they are unnecessary or even at times not befitting where they are placed. Ideally he should be putting this sort of questioning to the manager at press conferences but I suspect that he doesn't.

Indeed, the superfluous utilisation of unnecessarily extravagant verbiage is disgruntling.

• Like 8

17 hours ago, Wegerleswiggle said:

I don't know who that bloke thinks he is, but Brian Glanville he isn't

Written in a pompous style, often with 10 words where 3 would do, and silly adjectives and words where simple language would enable to make his point much better

I mean, look at that headline (which admittedly may not have been his but some hapless sub-editor)

Opposition obsession is of Blackburn Rovers detriment as club's annual record prompts concern

It's grammatically incorrect and actually doesn't make sense - you have to read it several times to see what it's driving at

The sentiment of the piece is good, but it's badly written and edited 

• Like 7

• Backroom
53 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

I don't know who that bloke thinks he is, but Brian Glanville he isn't

Written in a pompous style, often with 10 words where 3 would do, and silly adjectives and words where simple language would enable to make his point much better

I mean, look at that headline (which admittedly may not have been his but some hapless sub-editor)

Opposition obsession is of Blackburn Rovers detriment as club's annual record prompts concern

It's grammatically incorrect and actually doesn't make sense - you have to read it several times to see what it's driving at

The sentiment of the piece is good, but it's badly written and edited 

Symptomatic of the move from paper to online imo, 'because we can always edit it afterwards, but won't anyway'.

On 20/10/2021 at 06:20, jim mk2 said:

Does his game plan include an unchallenged player belting it into the net from 20 yards or so and a goalkeeper who didn't even move?

I was right behind the QPR player when he shot, the gap was there and he placed the ball perfectly. 

I wouldn't mind if Rovers had pressed QPR in the last 10 minutes to try and find an equaliser but there was no reaction at all, absolutely nothing. That's the problem when you set a team up "to get a point"

I think Kaminski did not move because he was unsighted, we backed off and backed off allowed him time to shift it and set it for his favoured foot and our only move to block was the one that blocked Kaminskis view.  In my view,. credit to you for going jim, I genuinely feel bad for those that travelled.  For ToMo to dismiss the fans as he left is poor.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

Firstly thankyou for the detailed reply Mike and welcome the response. 

Why was the Armstrong transfer fee 5 million short and based on what? 

Didn't we received 5 mil for Raya? 

Agreed on Cairney transfers but not sure we should have got more than their fees for Hanley and Duffy. 

Well we only getting less than market value for Nyambe and Rothwell due to Contracts length and I don't like it anymore than anyone else but Rothwell has big clubs chasing him so might less sense for him to sign a new contract here. 

I expect Brereton will be sold in the summer for around 15 million and possible Kaminski for around 4 to 5 million pounds

Agree on Johnson point. I would rather have a young, talent squad than a old experience squad. 

Hoping John Park, the head of recruitment is out there scouting and recommend players. We have a recruitment department so lets hope that is on with finding January transfer targets and looking at Summer transfers transfers. 

That would required a CEO with expertise but we should be bringing in experience Head of football operations or director of football who would be in charge of these sort of things. 

I agree that the club should be much better astute in terms of lower ticket prices including Season tickets prices and match day tickets prices. I think ST should be £250 pounds for all areas of the ground apart from Jack Walker upper tier which I would price at £300. Match day prices would be £15 for most games and I would be offering the Preston game for £15 pounds for all areas of Ewood Park in December. 

The kiosks food and drink is poor and prices are ridiculous now and I refuse to pay it . The food should be much better and we should be offering much more vary types of food like Chips and curry or Slice of pizza. 

On the club shop, the clubs shirts/kits are over priced and should be available for £30 to 35 pounds and offering a 4xl size aswell. Plus we should be offering Rovers non kit shirts like Dolan shirt or Travis shirt. Both are very popular within the fan base. 

We need and should be more engage in schools, local kids clubs, etc and we should be offering free shirts, scarfs, books, etc. Plus have open days which they can meet the players and have interaction with them. 

Totally agreed on Brereton point and I believe it been raised with Fans forum meeting recently. Rovers could employed an external marketing company who has expertise in South America. They are out there and I know one which has the required expertise there. 

I believe Chilean fans can buy Rovers passes to stream Rovers games

fair enough, But I would say we need more sponsorship from local, nation and worldwide companies. Why hasn't Venkys used their contacts within India to find us any sponsor from the Asia market. 

agreed on the second point Mike. 

appointing a better CEO who is more accessible to the fans and has been a success at another football club. I did suggested Dane Murphy to replace Waggott as CEO in the summer. He was very successful at Barnsley. Plus employ experience Marketing, communications, sales people. 

I agree the club should be run much better run and we should be looking to expand our fanbase 

Park was clearly a Mowbray appointment,surely if Mowbray leaves like the majority want then he will be going with him.

A new manager will want to bring his own people in 

21 hours ago, Wegerleswiggle said:

"Sleepwalking into oblivion". Perfect, just a perfect one line summation of BRFC.

This being Mowbary's end of contract season, is it any wonder he gives less than a toss about players contracts.  Would not surprise me if he plans on leaving the club in the worst shape possible for the next guy, make himself look better.  Would be very wise for the Venkies to cut him loose now, even if it means DJ till seasons end.  The guy is fragmenting this club, destroying players of promise (IMHO) by that I mean there seems to be a pattern where young players show promise by exciting forward thinking play and are immediately and repeatedly dropped until they become much more conservative.

He's taking the piss he really is.  Of course we can not be sure that Venkies can hire anyone better but something needs done to save our club.

Some on here are saying we won't go down because there are worse teams when push comes to shove, on the day, us vs them needing the win I have zero confidence in Mowbary to get us over the line.

"Here Harrison, if you wanna be a gud un, a proper player, then model thi self after Smallwood and Evans". Buggar me that's never left me and sums ToMo up, I thought Reed was a gud un.  (Not sure why I felt the need to bring that up).

I have never been closer in my 57 years of being a Rovers fan of giving up on us.

C'MON Stanley.  Never know.

Edited by USABlue

• Backroom
1 minute ago, broadsword said:

Who was that last we had, a winger, a few years back. We got him from Stanley, he was decent and I think he was a rovers man. 

I think we sold him too a prem team? 

Conor Mahoney