BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v Reading (h) - 23/10/2021

8 hours ago, J*B said:

I know you’re not mate, it’s just led me to an interesting thought process. How many Rovers “fans” would you say there are left? I honestly think sub 25K nowadays. 

I honestly think there are more than that Josh. Lots love the club, but hate what is going on and would rally round, in the hour if need.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, J*B said:

I know you’re not mate, it’s just led me to an interesting thought process. How many Rovers “fans” would you say there are left? I honestly think sub 25K nowadays. 

Back in John Williams' day there were c80k people on the Club's database. Obviously not all of them will attend at any given time and some will have passed on but I believe the number is a lot higher again now.

6 hours ago, Wood26 said:

Imagine that, go for few beers and watch your team win.

Or sit at home refreshing Twitter and worrying about who’s contract is up next.

Well if you only go to the game for the day out and don't mind whether we win, lose or draw all power to your elbow.

I'd like to think most supporters are far more selective than that.

Maybe not.

50 minutes ago, nathan_rovers1 said:

You can tell we won, there is only 12 pages on the forum and not the usual 23 complaining about everything. 

Great result, one point of the playoffs and looking fairly good/ comfortable without hitting any sort of stride. 

I have a real thought though that whilst the is a very vocal few on this message board it does not represent what most fans think. 

The home attendances tell you what fans think.

That was our first win in five games.

If Mowbray stays and we are still only a point behind the Play Offs at the business end of the season, then it would be fair to say he’s proved many people wrong.

The chances of that, based on what we have seen in recent seasons and the lack of depth in the squad / possible departures in January, are slim.

• Like 3

I'd say this is the weakest championship for many years. Bournemouth are obviously the ones to beat, but even Fulham and WBA aren't out of sight yet even for teams down to mid table. Most teams have a few standout players but after that there's not a great deal in it.

It should be more exciting than it is really but it just feels like it'll end up like the past few seasons we're an opportunity goes to waste, predominantly from poor managerial decisions and/or injuries to key players.

The starting 11 yesterday is IMO our best team and one capable of competing with any team in the league. Will the same 11 start at Derby? Highly doubtful, although injuries may dictate that. After that it will be interesting to see how we get on against Fulham and Sheff Utd so see where we're at.

Facebook will be awash with "wHeRe ArE tHe MoWbRaY oUt FaNs NoW' posts as per 🤣

• Like 5

17 minutes ago, martonrover said:

If Mowbray stays and we are still only a point behind the Play Offs at the business end of the season, then it would be fair to say he’s proved many people wrong.

The chances of that, based on what we have seen in recent seasons and the lack of depth in the squad / possible departures in January, are slim.

Absolutely.

Despite my hatred of Mowbray, I hope we get in the play offs, he takes us up, and proves me completely wrong.

Do I think it will happen? Not a chance.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, martonrover said:

I know the chances of resigning players is thin but lets remember many people on here was telling us that we'd have the departure of our better players in the summer. That didn't happen and we only lost Armstrong.

Granted the depth of the squad is thin and Mowbray is a poor manager. I'd be amazed if we got near the playoffs but should we get up there by the end of the season Id imagine crowds will recover to around the twenty thousand mark. Question for those boycotting is will they boycot a trip to Wembley?

4 minutes ago, Ossydave said:

I'd say this is the weakest championship for many years. Bournemouth are obviously the ones to beat, but even Fulham and WBA aren't out of sight yet even for teams down to mid table. Most teams have a few standout players but after that there's not a great deal in it.

It should be more exciting than it is really but it just feels like it'll end up like the past few seasons we're an opportunity goes to waste, predominantly from poor managerial decisions and/or injuries to key players.

The starting 11 yesterday is IMO our best team and one capable of competing with any team in the league. Will the same 11 start at Derby? Highly doubtful, although injuries may dictate that. After that it will be interesting to see how we get on against Fulham and Sheff Utd so see where we're at.

Facebook will be awash with "wHeRe ArE tHe MoWbRaY oUt FaNs NoW' posts as per 🤣

We say it is the weakest league every season so why is this season any different? There are a dozen teams saying exactly the same in that if we keep everyone fit we'll have a chance.

Where we differ is that we have a manager who can't stop changing a winning team. As Nyambe left the pitch with a hamstring issue again Id say it is improbable that well start with the same XI at Derby.

Of course the fans of Mowbray will be out in force after a win just like the Anti Mowbray ones were out in force after last Tuesday.

24 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Do you think Venky's made a conscious decision to let the contracts of the likes of Nyambe, Rothwell, Lenihan, Kaminsky and Brereton run down potentially allowing them to walk away for nothing?

Or do you think they trusted Mowbray and Waggott to manage the overall budget over the last few seasons properly and prioritise our better players accordingly?

Mowbray has just pulled in almost £20m for Adam Armstrong, I'm sure Venkys trust him alright. It looks like both Gallagher and Ben Diaz will prove to be hits, scoring for fun this season, he's probably got 2 more cash cows that will be cashed in upon for decent money at some stage. 

As for the contracts, its the owners that are refusing to fund new deals, Mowbray is on record stating he wants to keep the players, at any other club he'd be doing just that, but sadly its been just one of many 'blind spots' throughout Venkys time here, letting contracts run down, Lambert in part walked because of it too.

Have all our former managers under Venkys 'made conscious decisions' to let contracts run down?

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Gav said:

Mowbray has just pulled in almost £20m for Adam Armstrong, I'm sure Venkys trust him alright. It looks like both Gallagher and Ben Diaz will prove to be hits, scoring for fun this season, he's probably got 2 more cash cows that will be cashed in upon for decent money at some stage. 

As for the contracts, its the owners that are refusing to fund new deals, Mowbray is on record stating he wants to keep the players, at any other club he'd be doing just that, but sadly its been just one of many 'blind spots' throughout Venkys time here, letting contracts run down, Lambert in part walked because of it too.

Have all our former managers under Venkys 'made conscious decisions' to let contracts run down?

Fair point but has enough pressure been put on the owners?---I really don't know.

5 minutes ago, Gav said:

Why, who else pre Mowbray and Waggott has walked for nothing?

The only one I can think of was King and he was a bit of an odd case as he was absolute garbage until a few months before his contract was up.

27 minutes ago, Gav said:

He hasnt pulled in nearly 20 million for Armstrong.With what newcastle recieved as part of the deal and take away what we paid for him we cleared about 10 million.

Gallagher and Brererton was 12 million and yeah they are playing well this season but were we in a position as a club that we could be waiting around 2 or 3 years for players that cost that sort of money to develop?

Edited by islander200
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Hate to be in the "let's see where we are by Christmas" brigade but let's see where we are by then, that's a fairly selective view imo following a win and even then we're only 6 points off 20th.

But only one point off the playoffs and 33.3% loss rate ;).

I understand frustrations but let us be honest, Mowbray has done a decent job, ok end of last year was not great and not a decent transfer window but I think he is doing the best that he can and I do not think anyone else will come in and do better. I think the club needs to get contracts settled and if they do not, they need to go out and spend.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, nathan_rovers1 said:

But only one point off the playoffs and 33.3% loss rate ;).

I understand frustrations but let us be honest, Mowbray has done a decent job, ok end of last year was not great and not a decent transfer window but I think he is doing the best that he can and I do not think anyone else will come in and do better. I think the club needs to get contracts settled and if they do not, they need to go out and spend.

If he kept to his best 11 and stopped coming out with a load of guff in the media he would get a lot more leeway from me.

He never takes responsibility and his constant changing of the team and formation is beyond infuriating.

• Like 6

16 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Mowbray was on the radio saying Ayala had been feeling discomfort in his calf for a week or two. He’s sending him for a scan on Monday. That doesn’t sound promising.

Surely he should have been sent for a scan as soon as the problem was noted ?

2 hours ago, nathan_rovers1 said:

I have a real thought though that whilst the is a very vocal few on this message board it does not represent what most fans think. 

No-one who has a view is barred from giving it though. Not our job to represent what we might think fans think. Each poster on here speaks for  themselves

• Like 7

3 minutes ago, nathan_rovers1 said:

Not sure how you work that out and appalling is a very strong statement...but in reality do we think someone else could have done a better job? 

Given the backing he's had, I think it would have been impossible for virtually anyone else not to!

• Like 2