BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v Reading (h) - 23/10/2021

20 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

And we netted around £10m for Armstrong so if the others walk for nothing £50m is a bit optimistic to say the least!

Gallagher good business?

Reel 'em in Gav!

We bought Armstrong for £2m and sold for around £20m, I’m not interested in net. That’s a tremendous bit of business.

Diaz and Gallagher have a long way to go, but if they keep up the current scoring rate they’ll be worth far more than we paid for them, IF.

Kaminsky is a star in the making, he’ll be a £10m keeper. Dack was a £10-15m player before injury, great bit of business, you can’t blame Mowbray for his injuries.

£50m is probably on the low side.

Ps - He still needs sacking 👍

Edited by Gav
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

I thought someone posted a table on here without Venky's input which tended to suggest that once their £20 m p.a. contribution was taken into account we were actually about 4th in terms of overall finance.

Happy to be proved wrong if that's incorrect.

I mean, this issue is probably quite separate and shows the lack of revenue for the club which I think everyone agrees is a huge issue 

1 minute ago, nathan_rovers1 said:

The club of course pays the wage bill and then we are losing 20 mil a year (give or take a few quid), which is then covered by the owners.

So according to you we pay the wages out of our own income and then have a separate £20m loss?

Where do you think that £20m p.a. disappears to if not on players wages?

The thing is the club 'if' they are serious and a lot of supporters particularly the lapsed ones need a set up to rinse blood out of stones. That has to be the aim of any club like us with an upper mid section wage bill but a fantastic set up and billionaire owners.

After 5 years that is just not the impression most have with the Mowbray, Swaggot regime. They basically right after promotion set their stall out to go nowhere, keep everybody happy and in wages. Then just hope for a good season where everything clicks.

That in a nutshell is the main issue, they've talked a good game at times and tried with bigger squads. They just aren't savvy enough to get anywhere near it though we've never even finished in the top 10.

The mid bracket wage bill is fact of course it is but so are the things this present lot have done to bloat that and go nowhere.  They've also moved the goal posts to suit their own narratives about 5 times every season.

Moral of the story is they've been all too happy to sail along on a mill pond of comfort rather than ride the waves and be bold.

16 minutes ago, Gav said:

We bought Armstrong for £2m and sold for around £20m, I’m not interested in net. That’s a tremendous bit of business.

Diaz and Gallagher have a long way to go, but if they keep up the current scoring rate they’ll be worth far more than we paid for them, IF.

Kaminsky is a star in the making, he’ll be a £10m keeper. Dack was a £10-15m player before injury, great bit of business, you can’t blame Mowbray for his injuries.

Glad you edited and put the last bit in, I was about to post as you seemingly feel Mowbray is doing such a fabulous job then by extension you must also be full of praise for the owners both for appointing him initially and keeping him in situ recently.

We never hear any words of ambition coming from either Mowbray or Waggot.

It's all guff like 'journey', 'we'll see where we are...' wishy washy nonsense.

A manager worth his salt would say something like 'I expect that in 2 seasons we'll be in the top 6'

A CEO worth his salt would say something like 'The plan is to have 12k season ticket holders next season'

Of course they never say anything of the sort, for the simple reason that they're on easy street. The worse bit about it though, is that they're allowed to get away with it.

• Like 6

4 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Glad you edited and put the last bit in, I was about to post as you seemingly feel Mowbray is doing such a fabulous job then by extension you must also be full of praise for the owners both for appointing him initially and keeping him in situ recently.

If he's so behind TM then by definition he's behind the owners he claims to despise.

They keep Tony in wages so if he's doing such a great job then using this logic they are great owners for keep backing him.

End of argument really.

Personally i think they are all pretty useless, it's just one lot has more money than sense whilst the other just about gets by on his experience.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Wheelton Blue said:

We never hear any words of ambition coming from either Mowbray or Waggot.

It's all guff like 'journey', 'we'll see where we are...' wishy washy nonsense.

A manager worth his salt would say something like 'I expect that in 2 seasons we'll be in the top 6'

A CEO worth his salt would say something like 'The plan is to have 12k season ticket holders next season'

Of course they never say anything of the sort, for the simple reason that they're on easy street. The worse bit about it though, is that they're allowed to get away with it.

This sums my feelings up to at the moment. This time last year there was some ambition and a plan for a new style of football. 
Now it just seems like a rudderless ship with no destination in mind.

40 minutes ago, Gav said:

All these players you mention that we could make profits on ,Brererton and Gallagher etc?Who paid the transfer fees to bring them in?

Could the venkys look into the future and guarantee they would get a profit for them?Or that 2 years down the line we would sell Arma and he would pay for it.

How can you be of the opinion he hasnt been backed

36 minutes ago, tomphil said:

If he's so behind TM then by definition he's behind the owners he claims to despise.

‘He’s’ not behind Mowbray….and make no mistake, he despises the owners with a passion. 

That doesn’t stop him pointing out that not everything TM does is bad, despite what the blinkered would have us to believe. 

Edited by Gav

1 hour ago, ben_the_beast said:

Speaking of which. Anybody know when JRC is due to be back. I know he suffered a set back. 

Personally I'm not a fan of him playing right back. And also wary of rushing him back. But when it's between him, a slow centre back or Buckley playing there it's an easy choice to make

An easier choice would have been Pike, if he wasn't on loan.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Gav said:

‘He’s’ not behind Mowbray….and make no mistake, he despises the owners with a passion. 

That doesn’t stop him pointing out that not everything TM does is bad, despite what the blinkered wound like us to believe. 

I can admit Mowbray has done some good things and he deserves credit for them but it doesnt matter how many good signings he makes or how much profit he makes even how much money he spends he will continue to think he is Pep and over complicate things, changing formation every other week and changing the team every fecking match.He just cant help himself, he will never stick to the formstion and personnell that suits us.

And i agree the owners are useless and want them out as much as anyone but they have put the money in throughout Mowbrays reign up until this summer 

49 minutes ago, rigger said:

Tony Field and Eamonn Rogers for me.

They were good loyal servants for sure but Duggie (as I've always spelt it!) was truly world class.

You had to be there to believe it. Even then you didn't believe what you'd just seen!

11 minutes ago, Gav said:

That doesn’t stop him pointing out that not everything TM does is bad, despite what the blinkered would have us to believe. 

I agree, he's bang average we tend to see the good and bad of his methods sometimes only days apart. 

You never know with this lot they could extend his contract and give him 5 mil a time to spend in the next 2 windows.  Therefore they've done their bit keeping a manager some claim is punching above his weight.  And giving him as much backing as the clubs books may allow.

Not sure how you'd feel then, personally i and probably many others know it wouldn't make a jot of difference in how the manager works. That's the issue many have with Mowbray, give him 10 million or ten pence and the exact same things will happen.

The real watershed moments in all this were the season or two after promotion when they backed him as much as could be done. He flunked it, they did their bit much as i despise them.

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, Wheelton Blue said:

The season after promotion from League One he was saying that, but then changed the narrative, (presumably hoping no-one noticed), to the never ending “journey” when we fell woefully short.

19 minutes ago, islander200 said:

I can admit Mowbray has done some good things and he deserves credit for them but it doesnt matter how many good signings he makes or how much profit he makes even how much money he spends he will continue to think he is Pep and over complicate things, changing formation every other week and changing the team every fecking match.He just cant help himself, he will never stick to the formstion and personnell that suits us.

And i agree the owners are useless and want them out as much as anyone but they have put the money in throughout Mowbrays reign up until this summer 

I couldn't agree more with your first paragraph islander, spot on.

I don't agree he's been backed enough to make a difference, he's certainly been backed more than some in this league yes, but the money invested isn't going to knock the likes of Norwich, West Brom, Fulham, Bournemouth, Brentford and Leeds from the promotion places over recent seasons in my opinion. 

Edited by Gav
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Gav said:

Actually I have to say Gallagher is shaping up a lot more this season. Perhaps with Armstrong gone he is more likely to get into scoring positions.

He's scored 5 goals this season and doesn't take the penalties. He and Ben are doing what they were bought for at last.

Still taken too long, still paid far too much for them and all the rest! But.....

• Like 4

2 hours ago, martonrover said:

I think 20,000 is optimistic, except for a home Play Off semi final.

I will be amazed if we ever find that out, let alone get to Wembley.

Possibly but I stand by the fact if we went on an unbeaten 14/15 game run to cement a place in the playoffs then crowds will recover. People will follow a winning side rather than the negativity that surrounds all things blue 'n' white at present 

• Like 4