BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v Reading (h) - 23/10/2021

2 hours ago, ben_the_beast said:

Speaking of which. Anybody know when JRC is due to be back. I know he suffered a set back. 

Personally I'm not a fan of him playing right back. And also wary of rushing him back. But when it's between him, a slow centre back or Buckley playing there it's an easy choice to make

Surely one of Pickering or Edun can switch to right back on a temporary basis. Not ideal I know but it must be better than a centre half ( Carter or Magloire ) or a midfield player ( Buckley ).

16 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

There is absolutely no suggestion that the reason that these players wont sign new deals is that Mowbray wont consent to pay rises to 10k. He has regularly said that he wants them to stay but that it is down to the owners because they want more than we are currently offering which is as much as we can within the strict budgets.

What an easy excuse, i dont believe a word that comes out of his mouth to be honest, again i make the point how many players left close season, how much came off the wage bill, who brought said players in the first place, mmm let me think - ah yes Mogadon. He has an excuse for every eventuality never never anything to do with his management ( or lack of). 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, broadsword said:

Date I ask, but what is the Nyambe chant? 

Essentially it's just his name being sung to the tune of an early 2000s song. The problem is that song. It's Chocolate by Soul Control. I'm sure I don't need to explain any further.

Like @Tom, I'm not exactly comfortable with it either.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, oldjamfan1 said:

And just to reiterate my response was very specifically to Chaddy and the two clubs he mentioned and not a general premier league v Scottish premiership debate. Money aside if I were a professional footballer would I rather play at Ibrox in front of 50k passionate fans or an 11k capacity Dean Court? 

We will have to agree to disagree on this. I want to play PL more than SPL despite the size of the crowd. 

I guess Gerrard being there as manager is a big pull for players for Rangers

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

We will have to agree to disagree on this. I want to play PL more than SPL despite the size of the crowd. 

I guess Gerrard being there as manager is a big pull for players for Rangers

If you were in a team that is getting beaten most games, playing for Rangers would be more enjoyable.

• Like 1

Money is the main motivator for players these days,they have a 15/20 year career to set themselves up for life.If i was a professional player i wouldn't give a toss how big the stadiums are i'll be playing in or if my teammates are good players i would be saying who is going to pay me the most money so i can retire at 38 and not have to work again for the rest of my life.As much as you would like to think the players really love Rovers when they play for us the major majority are only in it for the most money they can get out of it.

• Like 6

20 minutes ago, Darrenbot said:

Money is the main motivator for players these days,they have a 15/20 year career to set themselves up for life.If i was a professional player i wouldn't give a toss how big the stadiums are i'll be playing in or if my teammates are good players i would be saying who is going to pay me the most money so i can retire at 38 and not have to work again for the rest of my life.As much as you would like to think the players really love Rovers when they play for us the major majority are only in it for the most money they can get out of it.

A big consideration for the majority of players but not always the case. Alan Shearer?

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, DeeCee said:

A big consideration for the majority of players but not always the case. Alan Shearer?

He's one of the very few that went to play for his boyhood club but I'm pretty sure Shearer was on a top wage at Newcastle too.

6 hours ago, K-Hod said:

Of course, we signed BBD and Gallagher on free transfers, didn’t we?

If we’re purely talking about fees/value, Mowbray’s net spend is minuscule now (if not in the negative) and he’s signed a good few assets for peanuts.

6 hours ago, nathan_rovers1 said:

Pretty sure someone posted something on here where we were 14th for net spend without the sale of Armstrong, so I would say no. 

Sounds right to me, look, we haven’t been completely potless but to make out he’s had something way above other managers is a bit silly.

6 hours ago, islander200 said:

You think all the free transfers he made cost nothing?The loans etc.

Ayala came here within our wage structure without a significant signing on fee?Similar with Holtby etc

I believe other clubs are paying their players wages too. We aren’t unique in that or big spenders AT ALL.

Criticise the man for often being tactically shit or whatever, but his signings in general have been very, very good for our level/budget.

Edited by S8 & Blue
  • Like 2

24 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

and? I rather play every week against quality players who will test me every week then a league where I not. 

The difference is Rothwell would play week in week out up in Scotland. At best, Rothwell would be a squad player in the PL.

I think he's had enough of sitting on a bench in his career already. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

As an amateur player I felt exactly the same. However if I was playing football to pay my mortgage I’d probably think differently.

Any player, at any level would rather play in a winning team than a losing one

25 minutes ago, JacknOry said:

people keep saying we sold AA for 20 mil - we didn't. We sold him for about 10 mil.

15 million was the reported fee. Officially undisclosed though.

I've seen absolutely no mention anywhere of 10 or of 20, personally.

9 minutes ago, rigger said:

Any player, at any level would rather play in a winning team than a losing one

A winning team in a shit league over a struggling or mildly competitive team in a great league though? To me, a player who picks that is unambitious or has a very tender ego. If you impress in a great league, then even if your team goes down you could get a move to a better one.

Hell you can go find a winning team to play for in the Sunday pub leagues, but why the fuck would you want to do that if you can play at the top level?

20 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

A winning team in a shit league over a struggling or mildly competitive team in a great league though? To me, a player who picks that is unambitious or has a very tender ego. If you impress in a great league, then even if your team goes down you could get a move to a better one.

Hell you can go find a winning team to play for in the Sunday pub leagues, but why the fuck would you want to do that if you can play at the top level?

The most important word in the highlighted sentance is, if.

52 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

15 million was the reported fee. Officially undisclosed though.

I've seen absolutely no mention anywhere of 10 or of 20, personally.

Not my point - point is the 40% Newcastle got. People keep going on like we have 20 mil in the coffers.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, JacknOry said:

People keep going on like we have 20 mil in the coffers.

The original point I made was Mowbray bought Armstrong for £2m and sold him for close to £20 million, which by anyone’s standards is a great bit of business regardless of the sell on fee.

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, JacknOry said:

Not my point - point is the 40% Newcastle got. People keep going on like we have 20 mil in the coffers.

With respect, you should have made that point then, instead of saying we sold him for 10 million. If you wanted to say we ended up with 10 million, say that instead. We sold him for about 15, we ended up with about 10, as best we know anyway. Just hovered up into the debt black hole of course.

Again I've not heard anyone say 20, where have you heard that?

Edited by bluebruce
Typo

6 minutes ago, Gav said:

The original point I made was Mowbray bought Armstrong for £2m and sold him for close to £20 million, which by anyone’s standards is a great bit of business regardless of the sell on fee.

Nevermind JacknOry, now I see where you heard it.

Gav, where do you get nearly 20 million from? 15 is the most I've heard.