BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v Reading (h) - 23/10/2021

7 minutes ago, Riverside under the drip said:

Quite the contrary. I am an adult and swearing is part of life. Even so, I generally keep it to a minimum.

However, I do have a big issue with swearing in the presence of young children. The idea that civilised adults can't moderate themselves in any way (or are unwilling to) to avoid upsetting children is quite sad.

Swearing doesn't bother me. It's just a word. It's the intent that bothers me. You can say something just as hurtful to someone with a non swear word if the intent is aggressive.

3 minutes ago, Carbz said:

Swearing doesn't bother me. It's just a word. It's the intent that bothers me. You can say something just as hurtful to someone with a non swear word if the intent is aggressive.

That's very true. Excessive aggression would be upsetting to potential new fans as well and create an atmosphere which might discourage new fans attending.

From my work in school, I know that children often get upset when things they know are wrong happen. They are educated all week long that some words are 'bad' and kindness to others is a big deal. They then go to the football at the weekend where grown men shout and scream and use words they know to be 'bad'. Teachers have years of experience checking children's body language and expressions to notice upset and you see it a lot at the game.

Anyway, I feel like the thread's wandering off topic so that's enough from me.

Just now, Riverside under the drip said:

That's very true. Excessive aggression would be upsetting to potential new fans as well and create an atmosphere which might discourage new fans attending.

From my work in school, I know that children often get upset when things they know are wrong happen. They are educated all week long that some words are 'bad' and kindness to others is a big deal. They then go to the football at the weekend where grown men shout and scream and use words they know to be 'bad'. Teachers have years of experience checking children's body language and expressions to notice upset and you see it a lot at the game.

That's a new one - swearing is causing our poor attendances? It's football what do you expect, happens at every ground in the country not just ours

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Riverside under the drip said:

Swearing isn't wrong. It's an entirely pointless taboo that society has fabricated.

• Like 4

On 24/10/2021 at 12:14, chaddyrovers said:

This is part of Dolan's game I really enjoyed watching. He did 3 or 4 times yesterday 

Just how on earth did we manage to get this kid for nowt.  What were PNE thinking?  Excellent aquisition.  He will get better too. 

• Like 6

• Backroom
On 26/10/2021 at 09:50, windymiller7 said:

Ah, haven't actually heard that one - can't be that popular if I can't hear it over my side of the BBE. I've only heard the one I mentioned which, as I said, I'm not comfortable with. Looks like we've excelled ourselves here! 🙄

As you say, as a bit of a fans favourite, I'm sure we can do better for RN.

Edit: actually, thinking about it, it could be the same one. That portion of each tune are very similar, I've only heard his name sung though, not the 'extras'.

Unrelated, but it always bothered me that 'Take me home, Jordan Rhodes' only got one outing at Leeds away during a NYD match.

Never heard it before or since, with fans preferring the 'having a party' chant.

Managed to finally watch it back last night, we were leaving gaping holes between our midfield and defence and Ayala is very reliant on Lenihan as an outball, actually preferred Van Hecke when he came on but we were much more susceptible to set pieces.

Was most impressed with Buckley, the only player that tries clever passes, through balls & has a real knack for cleverly nicking the ball off people without having to crunch in on the tackle. Personally think we'd be a much better team with a fit Dack instead of Rothwell on the pitch. 

Dolan went round Drinkwater a few times like it was a school playground. 

32 minutes ago, DackDackGoose said:

Managed to finally watch it back last night, we were leaving gaping holes between our midfield and defence and Ayala is very reliant on Lenihan as an outball, actually preferred Van Hecke when he came on but we were much more susceptible to set pieces.

Was most impressed with Buckley, the only player that tries clever passes, through balls & has a real knack for cleverly nicking the ball off people without having to crunch in on the tackle. Personally think we'd be a much better team with a fit Dack instead of Rothwell on the pitch. 

Dolan went round Drinkwater a few times like it was a school playground. 

Really surprised you say that about Dack. Swap Rothwell out for Dack and my guess is we will really struggle to get forward. Rothwell does so much in carrying the ball and covering ground which Dack just won't do after 2 ACLs.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Dack couldn't replace Rothwell in this formation at his fittest. Dack needs to be high up the pitch and central. Running from deep is not his thing. 

Dack is good at using his fat arse to shield the ball with his back to the goal, but he comes deep a lot too. He doesn’t do the Rothwell runs because he doesn’t need to, he’s a much better passer. And his forte is arriving late in the right place to finish off goals, something Rothwell ought to be equally good at but isn’t.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Exiled in Toronto said:

Dack is good at using his fat arse to shield the ball with his back to the goal, but he comes deep a lot too. He doesn’t do the Rothwell runs because he doesn’t need to, he’s a much better passer. And his forte is arriving late in the right place to finish off goals, something Rothwell ought to be equally good at but isn’t.

What used to be known as a plan A and a plan B.

On 28/10/2021 at 14:23, Exiled in Toronto said:

Yeah, but I worry that our counter attacking game which is pretty decent won't really work, we'll be looking for him to feed off Brereton and Gallagher much further up which doesn't fill me with confidence.