BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v Reading (h) - 23/10/2021

• Backroom
5 minutes ago, WacoRover said:

Absolutely. Hes not going anywhere until seasons end, that’s when his contract runs out. 

Todays game day thread would’ve been one page, if not for the obvious, “Mowbray out”, “sack mowbray” comments. Why our fans cannot enjoy a win over a quality opponent for about 5 minutes, is beyond me. 

Because the win serves no purpose and offers no real hope.

• Like 5

16 minutes ago, WacoRover said:

Why our fans cannot enjoy a win over a quality opponent for about 5 minutes, is beyond me. 

This site has around 30 people posting regularly Waco, it represents less than 0.1% of the Rovers fan base.

I can assure you that the vast majority of Rovers fans are enjoying the win tonight, against an opposition that have spent way beyond our means, its a very good win, an impressive win. 

Onwards and upwards.

Edited by Gav
  • Like 5

12 minutes ago, WacoRover said:

Absolutely. Hes not going anywhere until seasons end, that’s when his contract runs out. 

Todays game day thread would’ve been one page, if not for the obvious, “Mowbray out”, “sack mowbray” comments. Why our fans cannot enjoy a win over a quality opponent for about 5 minutes, is beyond me. 

Because there's no hope of progression until Waggott, Mowbray, Venus leave.

This is just another wasted season assuming they are all allowed to see their contracts out and at the end of it we look likely to lose our best players if the status quo is maintained until then.

• Like 1

Lively first half but spoiled by the usual disjointed square pegs in round holes stuff. Dolan trying his best, Brereton totally anonymous and wasted out wide, Rothwell too deep, If that's all an effort to stop the opposition it ruins Rovers as a dangerous football side. Fortunately Reading despite plenty effort weren't much good either.

Second half far better and the enforced changes seemed to put a bit of life into Rovers when it would've been easy to wilt.  Thought for a long time it had nil nil written all over it but a well worked goal and a pearler from Dolan were the difference. A 3rd should've been notched and we nearly had a young Colin Hendry moment for those who remember.

• Like 4

I can’t understand how anyone thinks van hecke isn’t a real prospect . In the two games I’ve seen him he looks class. Guna be a rolls Royce of a defender that lad.

edun looks steady to. Nice to have two decent left backs . Been years since we could say that .

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Because there's no hope of progression until Waggott, Mowbray, Venus leave.

This is just another wasted season assuming they are all allowed to see their contracts out and at the end of it we look likely to lose our best players if the status quo is maintained until then.

We’ve had 11 wasted seasons, why are you getting the hump now?

But welcome to the party, finally Rev….

Edited by Gav
  • Like 1

While I rate Nyambe, athletically and as a professional, his runs into the box never seem to result in an actual shot. It's always straight to a defender. His injury seemingly forced our attack further inside the pitch and it was far more effective. If we had our hearts into it, Dolan and Poveda could have set up another 2 or 3 goals come the end and we really need some killer instinct. Special mention to Johnson for a proper midfielder's booking!

All in all, a decent win after an appallingly boring first half. Reading fans must wonder why they bothered come. They tried to mock us with the library chant, but there were only a few dozen of them to sing it!

As others have said, we'll have to 'enjoy' these random wins as nothing will happen until the summer. Life's too short to waste a year being miserable.

Edited by Riverside under the drip
  • Like 1

• Backroom
24 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Mowbray was on the radio saying Ayala had been feeling discomfort in his calf for a week or two. He’s sending him for a scan on Monday. That doesn’t sound promising.

Weather is turning cold, think we may have to prepare for Ayala being gone for a while unfortunately. 

• Like 8

Good win today, Mowbray wasn't going regardless of the result so people just need to enjoy it for what it is. He deserves credit too for his team selection and his game management, he got it right today just as he has got things wrong in recent weeks. Drab, lifeless first half but dominant in the second half.

Dolan had a strange game, had he gone off after an hour then it would have been justified, he looked slow, off the pace and was making poor decisions. His goal was superb though and he repeatedly gave their defender nightmares when Mowbray moved him wide left which was a good move, although his cut backs were poor and he should have passed for Brereton at the end. Brereton was fairly quiet today, Gallagher was better and could have had 2 or 3. Poveda lost the ball once too many although played one or two good balls, notably a great cross which should have led to a third after a clever Brereton knock down.

Rothwell was fairly quiet aside from some more genius for the first goal, so much more influential than Buckley who needs to do more and also needs to stop getting needless bookings. Travis was ok but not at his best.

The 2 defensive injuries are major worries, Van Hecke certainly has a mistake in him so if Ayala is injured for a few weeks, hopefully Wharton can be involved next weekend.

• Like 2

first;y, Mowbray picked the starting 11 and thats is our strongest line up apart from left back. 

First half was a nothing much happening event from a couple of skills from Dolan and Gallagher's shot hitting the bar. 

Second half, the game open up abit and thats allow Rovers into the game. Rothwell's runs always caused problems and it lend to a Gallagher scoring off the post after Rothwell's shot hit the post. Second goal was a good run and finish by Dolan. And he almost scored again with a similar run and shot but Keeper saved it when he had squared it to Brereton who had a simple tap up. 

After the second goal sat back again and this time it didnt cost us. Just wish we keep playing on the first foot instead, 

Good 3 points. #

Shame about Ayala and Nyambe injuries. 

My man of the match would be joint one of Rothwell and Dolan who produced the goods that allow us to win today

COYB!🔵

• Like 4

Three points is always the objective so no real gripes from me today. A poor quality first half was much of a muchness with both teams struggling for any fluidity. Goals change games and thank goodness for us getting it. I thought it was a good goal with Rothwell at the heart of it as he was with most of the good things we did. The second was sublime and from our view it was in as soon as it left Dolans foot. He almost repeated it shortly after but their keeper made a great save. A real worry going forward has to be the injuries to Nyambe and Ayala. 

The result doesn't change my feelings about Mowbray one iota. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Mercer said:

Too true.

A half decent manager would make us genuine contenders.

What's happening with Rothwell is criminal.  Liked him from day one but feel Mogadon has held him back.  If he goes to Rangers, he will rip up the SPL. 

Don't think moving to the SPL is the right move for him

1 minute ago, Wheelton Blue said:

I'm not so sure, Chaddy.

He's not Premier League standard, so playing in front of 50k every other week with guaranteed european games is about as good as it will get for him.

I would love him to sign here long term. I still hope he does. 

I think a move to Brentford or Bournemouth would be the right move if he wont sign a new contract here

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, WacoRover said:

Why our fans cannot enjoy a win over a quality opponent for about 5 minutes, is beyond me. 

Who was the last 'quality opponent' we beat? WBA on New Years Day 2019?

This league - for all the hype - is bang average minus a couple each year... and those teams usually beat us at Ewood and spank us away.

Before we get too excited, the "death spirals" are usually able to survive the odd win here or there. At Derby (bad feeling), Fulham and Sheff Utd (both PL last season), and at Bristol City, all could still be part of this current 9 game edition. 4/5/6 points from 9 games is still a very real (the most likely?) scenario.

But let's enjoy not throwing away a 2-0 that gives Mowbs a free pass until Peterborough at home on November 24th.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, chaddyrovers said:

I would love him to sign here long term. I still hope he does. 

I think a move to Brentford or Bournemouth would be the right move if he wont sign a new contract here

Yeah, I suppose Brentford might be a good move. They tend to improve players.

Bournemouth though. That shows just how far we've fallen.

13 minutes ago, Angry_Pirate said:

This league - for all the hype - is bang average minus a couple each year... and those teams usually beat us at Ewood and spank us away.

Before we get too excited, the "death spirals" are usually able to survive the odd win here or there. At Derby (bad feeling), Fulham and Sheff Utd (both PL last season), and at Bristol City, all could still be part of this current 9 game edition. 4/5/6 points from 9 games is still a very real (the most likely?) scenario.

But let's enjoy not throwing away a 2-0 that gives Mowbs a free pass until Peterborough at home on November 24th.

Why specifically until that date? And from who, I doubt that anyone who wants Mowbray out will have changed their mind today. Had we lost, he would remain with us 3 points worse off.

34 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Good win today, Mowbray wasn't going regardless of the result so people just need to enjoy it for what it is. He deserves credit too for his team selection and his game management, he got it right today just as he has got things wrong in recent weeks. Drab, lifeless first half but dominant in the second half.

Dolan had a strange game, had he gone off after an hour then it would have been justified, he looked slow, off the pace and was making poor decisions. His goal was superb though and he repeatedly gave their defender nightmares when Mowbray moved him wide left which was a good move, although his cut backs were poor and he should have passed for Brereton at the end. Brereton was fairly quiet today, Gallagher was better and could have had 2 or 3. Poveda lost the ball once too many although played one or two good balls, notably a great cross which should have led to a third after a clever Brereton knock down.

Rothwell was fairly quiet aside from some more genius for the first goal, so much more influential than Buckley who needs to do more and also needs to stop getting needless bookings. Travis was ok but not at his best.

The 2 defensive injuries are major worries, Van Hecke certainly has a mistake in him so if Ayala is injured for a few weeks, hopefully Wharton can be involved next weekend.

We caused them all sorts of problems in the second half when we moved Brereton to CF and attacked them.

Sadly we resorted to putting ourselves under siege like we did against Luton when we went 2-0. It's baffling how we just invite teams onto us - we're not good enough defensively to do that. 

Also, Travis was the clear MOTM for me. 

Can't remember the last time I was so disinterested in a game before kick off and even during. I barely kept up with the game at all.

That said, happy that we won,just seen the highlights and Dolan took his goal really well. 

The loaner should have buried that well worked chance as well.

I hope this apathy is only temporary because it just feels weird.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, davulsukur said:

Can't remember the last time I was so disinterested in a game before kick off and even during. I barely kept up with the game at all.

That said, happy that we won,just seen the highlights and Dolan took his goal really well. 

The loaner should have buried that well worked chance as well.

I hope this apathy is only temporary because it just feels weird.

Were you at the game?  I enjoyed it - well the three minutes where we scored, the van Henck run and miss and Johnson's professional foul.  Pie was excellent too.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Angry_Pirate said:

I guess it depends how you judge quality. 

We beat Swansea, Forest and Reading today, just off the top of my head, clubs with budgets way beyond ours if that counts? 

• Like 1