BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

January Transfer window 2022

Just now, Paul Mani said:

This a hunch or a bit of inside knowledge Neo? 

Wishful thinking if you ask me. 

Sure, we might show an interest but then he has to sit down with Mogga and Waggot. The thought of those two trying to sell the move over any of the many other interested parties! 

• Like 1

I'd be looking at Siriki Dembele this window. 6 months left on his contract. Posh owner stating he wants silly money for him still but when it comes down to it they aren't going to be able to demand much. With the current squad I'd be happy with him and a right back. 

It then comes down to the out of contract players. If one if Nyambe, Rothwell or Lenihan goes they will need replacing. 

The form of Brereton-Diaz to me makes a striker not a priority until the summer. He has more than replaced Arma. With Gallagher as back up and Dack able to play up there in a pair as a 10 if we are playing 3 at the back, the central role is filled for me.

• Like 5

That John Souttar tweet is a fake. Although it’s not far off really. It’s unlikely John will be signing a new deal at Hearts. Few bids in for him. Some offers to the player for Summer, some offers to the club for January.

4 hours ago, ben_the_beast said:

The form of Brereton-Diaz to me makes a striker not a priority until the summer. He has more than replaced Arma. With Gallagher as back up and Dack able to play up there in a pair as a 10 if we are playing 3 at the back, the central role is filled for me.

But aren't we in the same position with Brereton as Posh are with Dembele? And we are unlikely to be able to demand much either.

5 minutes ago, 47er said:

But aren't we in the same position with Brereton as Posh are with Dembele? And we are unlikely to be able to demand much either.

We should have signed him up prior to the copa America, we'd spent 7m on him and needed to protect that investment. We drag our heels so badly with player's contracts, and with some it will bite us in the ass. Imagine BBD doesn't sign, and all we can do is exercise our 1 year option, what can we demand then? Peanuts, maybe our money back or a little bit more. It is rank bad management.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Ulrich said:

We should have signed him up prior to the copa America, we'd spent 7m on him and needed to protect that investment. We drag our heels so badly with player's contracts, and with some it will bite us in the ass. Imagine BBD doesn't sign, and all we can do is exercise our 1 year option, what can we demand then? Peanuts, maybe our money back or a little bit more. It is rank bad management.

This is getting dull.

A new deal has been on the table for months, he is not signing it. We may struggle to compete with wages on our budget but if the players refuse to sign, it’s not simply down to bad management. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, ben_the_beast said:

I'd be looking at Siriki Dembele this window. 6 months left on his contract. Posh owner stating he wants silly money for him still but when it comes down to it they aren't going to be able to demand much. With the current squad I'd be happy with him and a right back. 

It then comes down to the out of contract players. If one if Nyambe, Rothwell or Lenihan goes they will need replacing. 

All 3 will be going if they don’t sign!

• Backroom
2 hours ago, magicalmortensleftpeg said:

This is getting dull.

A new deal has been on the table for months, he is not signing it. We may struggle to compete with wages on our budget but if the players refuse to sign, it’s not simply down to bad management. 

Of course it is. It always is. Failure to secure your assets is BAD management.

Better to sign him up on a deal that breaks the wage structure by, say, another £20k/week (£1m/year) if it puts his value up by another £5m or more.

• Like 7

10 hours ago, ben_the_beast said:

Doesn't seem so with talk of us having a year extension option in our favour

Can't he just run that down and go for nothing? Don't other clubs know that too?

The answer is to give him a whopping pay rise in return for a clause in the new contract which allows him to go for a whopping fee with a % sell-on fee.

1 hour ago, Mike E said:

Of course it is. It always is. Failure to secure your assets is BAD management.

Better to sign him up on a deal that breaks the wage structure by, say, another £20k/week (£1m/year) if it puts his value up by another £5m or more.

Would you have broken the wage structure for him last season? Very easy to blame the club but if the players are refusing to sign, what more can the club do? Brereton will be holding out for PL interest at this rate so I doubt any pay rise would be enough to tempt him to sign. 

1 hour ago, magicalmortensleftpeg said:

Would you have broken the wage structure for him last season? Very easy to blame the club but if the players are refusing to sign, what more can the club do? Brereton will be holding out for PL interest at this rate so I doubt any pay rise would be enough to tempt him to sign. 

It wouldn't have taken that much in the summer. I'm sure say 3k a week extra would have done the job back then.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, JoeH said:

That John Souttar tweet is a fake. Although it’s not far off really. It’s unlikely John will be signing a new deal at Hearts. Few bids in for him. Some offers to the player for Summer, some offers to the club for January.

Source? 😉 😉 🤣

The secret (controllable) is recruitment.

You can’t make people sign contracts and those on here suggesting we should simply break our wage structure for any of the three mentioned, thus opening the floodgates for every bog standard player to ask for improved terms is ludicrous. The losses extrapolated over contract periods would far outweigh any potential value of the likes of RN, JR and DL.

RN can be replaced for a few hundred grand (think Harry Pickering) or a good pre contract. DL is pretty much in the same boat imo. Maybe a million!to replace him. Then there’s Rothwell, who is undoubtedly talented if a little (very) inconsistent. He’s the one with potential to be worth the most…but I wouldn’t smash my wage structure for him….Buckley will end up in that role for Rovers and is already a superior footballer minus Rothwell physical attributes. Dack and Butterworth will fight it out for the advanced role the Buckley currently fills.

BBD is the conundrum now. His form and potential value means it may be worth offering an exceptional deal. The possibility of promotion also applies pressure on the situation.

Ideal world, they all put pen to paper on new deals. We freshen up in Jan with a winger on loan (for Poveda) plus maybe Josh Maia (loan with option to buy) in the summer.

If non re-sign I’d push like mad to sell RN and DL, who are easily replaceable RB (£500k from league 1), John Souttar (small fee). Then let JR run his contract down and try to get promoted.

If someone turns up with £25m for BBD we HAVE to take it imo. The guy has played 15-20 good games in 3yrs. If we sell him then I’d make some more signings - Hedges (small fee) and Rhys Healy (7m) prob sort the whole lot for £10m.

The key is to have the deals lined up. Fingers crossed we have!

• Like 6

8 hours ago, 47er said:

Can't he just run that down and go for nothing? Don't other clubs know that too?

The answer is to give him a whopping pay rise in return for a clause in the new contract which allows him to go for a whopping fee with a % sell-on fee.

With his age he’ll NOT go for nothing. We’ll not get his full market value. This is the same situation as Armstrong. BBD’s deal will go to the tribunal.