BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

January Transfer window 2022

2 hours ago, Paul Mani said:

The secret (controllable) is recruitment.

You can’t make people sign contracts and those on here suggesting we should simply break our wage structure for any of the three mentioned, thus opening the floodgates for every bog standard player to ask for improved terms is ludicrous. The losses extrapolated over contract periods would far outweigh any potential value of the likes of RN, JR and DL.

RN can be replaced for a few hundred grand (think Harry Pickering) or a good pre contract. DL is pretty much in the same boat imo. Maybe a million!to replace him. Then there’s Rothwell, who is undoubtedly talented if a little (very) inconsistent. He’s the one with potential to be worth the most…but I wouldn’t smash my wage structure for him….Buckley will end up in that role for Rovers and is already a superior footballer minus Rothwell physical attributes. Dack and Butterworth will fight it out for the advanced role the Buckley currently fills.

BBD is the conundrum now. His form and potential value means it may be worth offering an exceptional deal. The possibility of promotion also applies pressure on the situation.

Ideal world, they all put pen to paper on new deals. We freshen up in Jan with a winger on loan (for Poveda) plus maybe Josh Maia (loan with option to buy) in the summer.

If non re-sign I’d push like mad to sell RN and DL, who are easily replaceable RB (£500k from league 1), John Souttar (small fee). Then let JR run his contract down and try to get promoted.

If someone turns up with £25m for BBD we HAVE to take it imo. The guy has played 15-20 good games in 3yrs. If we sell him then I’d make some more signings - Hedges (small fee) and Rhys Healy (7m) prob sort the whole lot for £10m.

The key is to have the deals lined up. Fingers crossed we have!

Nyambe is not replaceable (with the same quality) for a few hundred grand. I think people will only realise how good he is once he has gone.

Ditto Rothwell. And BB leaving on an enforced basis would be a financial disaster for the Club. The only player I think would be replaceable with similar quality at a reasonable cost is Lenihan.

It would probably be easier to replace them all with a manager and CEO they want to sign for. The only hope would seem to be in the unlikely event that results and performances continue in the same vein as the last two and we get into the play offs.

It would then be a gamble for the players concerned. Is it worth it to leave for a bit more money to a team that definitely isn't going to make the play offs? Then again if more than one of JR DL or RN leave or BB leaves in Jan that would probably instantly scupper any outside play off chances anyway.

For me if we're still where we are now in Jan, for what it would be worth, we stick hold of them all in Jan and gamble on going up. The only decision worthy of consideration would be if someone came in with a massive offer for BB. And whilst he's had a great season so far I don't see anyone offering anywhere near the £25m you mention.

• Like 1

In regards to the out of contract players. Nyambe and Lenihan. If they are refusing to sign then they should be sold in Jan. The fees we would be able to get for them would be small. However with decent recruitment I do feel both could be replaced at a relatively small cost. 

Brereton-Diaz should simply have the extra year on his contract triggered. Even if it shaved a couple of million off his value then I'd rather we sell in the summer. Given his status in the game now, I don't think the club are likely to be able to tie him down long term regardless of the contract offered.

Joe Rothwell. We don't know what's being asked for on his part. But if there is a player worth upping the contract for its him. Yes he is inconsistent, but unlike RN and DL players of his ilk just don't exist on our budget. The midfield 3 of Travis, Rothwell and Buckley compliment each other very well. That is the core of our side and we need to keep them together. They are all at a good age too.

• Like 4

10 hours ago, Mike E said:

Of course it is. It always is. Failure to secure your assets is BAD management.

Better to sign him up on a deal that breaks the wage structure by, say, another £20k/week (£1m/year) if it puts his value up by another £5m or more.

For me BBD is a tough one - where I have sympathy for management - absolutely nobody could have foreseen what has happened this season. He improved last season - but this year is unbelievable given what went before.

Lenihan - all noises from people in the know was that he would sign a new contract - don't know what has happened since.

Rothwell - taken him a while to start fulfilling his potential. Even now he can be a frustrating player. But let's not forget he ran down his contract at Oxford as well.

Nyambe - though I like him - people do have mixed feelings on him - and he is still far from the complete right back.

Let's not forget - until this season (from memory) only Lenihan has attracted any transfer interest (where we would get a fee). Also - we have a wage bill well in excess of our income. Go back to prior to this season - other than Lenihan - which player assets would we have been protecting by giving out wages we couldn't afford  ?

3 minutes ago, Displaced Rover said:

Have Southampton not learned their lesson about signing prolific Championship strikers from Rovers? 😂

Yes but they got 5 million for Gallagher from Rovers and probably pinched Armstrong for a lot less than is published.

They smell a sting, no way are they tipping up 20 million for BB without trying to send someone this way again.

Any offer around 20mill upfront for Brereton should be snapped up. Blackburn in my lifetime have always been a club that creates chances(even when were doing very poorly) so any half decent centre forward should be able to score goals here, So in theory replacing them without spending a fortune shouldn't be difficult providing our transfer department get their shit together in the next window!!!! Id much prefer we spent the bigger money on a quality RB and CB (and Cm If Rothwell doesn't sign a new contract this month)

I’m with you Gav. Why on earth would you sell one of the players in their last year, all of them key men, for a pittance when we are 4th heading in to December? ‘Well, they could down tools’. Possibly, but I’m not seeing it with this bunch.

They leave on a free in June after sending us to promotion or at least a stab at it, then fair enough and hand shakes all round, absolute madness to let them go now.

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 9

11 minutes ago, Gav said:

Nowt as strange as football fans......

We site 4th in Championship, the side is playing well and posters want to sell players in January? Are you mad?

We keep this side together at all costs, we add to the squad in January, lets hope some of that Armstrong money actually reaches Mowbray, it could make the difference.

The problem we're going to have is glaringly obvious, we have a threadbare squad, one of two key lengthy injuries and we're in trouble, lets hope we stay clear of that scenario. 

Buy a couple of quality additions and keep the current squad together, we could have a chance of a playoff place.

Some people are just being realistic! If we can get Brereton and Rothwell in particular to commit to new long term contracts!  then great I hope they stay here for the best part of their careers, but in reality they're both they're both at an age were they know they need to make a step up (for reasons of finance and ambition) 

Personally I think Brereton is currently playing slightly beyond his real ability because of his current insane confidence, So if he is to be sold its best cashing in now whilst his value is where it is, instead of waiting another 12 months when his contract is running out and maybe he's lost his form and only worth half what he is now.

We shouldn't sell anyone in Jan imo. If we lose Lenihan and Rothwell for free in the summer then so be it. The fees for them in Jan won't be significant anyway. Nyambe we're guaranteed a fee for due to his age. Diaz has 18 months left so sell him in the summer. I think he'd do well in Spain but would struggle in the prem. 

Our Jan transfer dealings will be looking at those who are free in the summer and prob a loan or two. 

The emergence of Wharton, who is future captain material, should soften the blow of losing lenihan. Butterworth is the ball carrier who can step into Rothwell's shoes, and getting a decent RB to replace Nyambe shouldnt be too difficult. 

I don't begrudge any of them for wanting to further their careers and earn more money. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Armchair supporter supremo said:

Some people are just being realistic! If we can get Brereton and Rothwell in particular to commit to new long term contracts!  then great I hope they stay here for the best part of their careers, but in reality they're both they're both at an age were they know they need to make a step up (for reasons of finance and ambition) 

Personally I think Brereton is currently playing slightly beyond his real ability because of his current insane confidence, So if he is to be sold its best cashing in now whilst his value is where it is, instead of waiting another 12 months when his contract is running out and maybe he's lost his form and only worth half what he is now.

I agree, I'm not convinced Diaz has another season like this in him so I'd cash in during the summer (but not in Jan). Armstrong is a better player but he's really struggled to make the step up. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Gav said:

We site 4th in Championship, the side is playing well and posters want to sell players in January? Are you mad?

We keep this side together at all costs, we add to the squad in January, lets hope some of that Armstrong money actually reaches Mowbray, it could make the difference.

The problem we're going to have is glaringly obvious, we have a threadbare squad, one of two key lengthy injuries and we're in trouble, lets hope we stay clear of that scenario. 

Buy a couple of quality additions and keep the current squad together, we could have a chance of a playoff place.

100% spot on the whole idea of this journey to rebuild the club is to go the way they are going not jump off track every time someone waves an offer.

If some club wants someone badly enough they'll make an offer that can't be refused otherwise stand firm. Tie up all the ones worth keeping who aren't being greedy barstewards and let this squad grow in stature and value.

Trouble is here as always is the leeches in the middle looking for their cut and breathing in owners and their reps ears.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, rovers11 said:

We shouldn't sell anyone in Jan imo. If we lose Lenihan and Rothwell for free in the summer then so be it. The fees for them in Jan won't be significant anyway. Nyambe we're guaranteed a fee for due to his age. Diaz has 18 months left so sell him in the summer. I think he'd do well in Spain but would struggle in the prem. 

Our Jan transfer dealings will be looking at those who are free in the summer and prob a loan or two. 

The emergence of Wharton, who is future captain material, should soften the blow of losing lenihan. Butterworth is the ball carrier who can step into Rothwell's shoes, and getting a decent RB to replace Nyambe shouldnt be too difficult. 

I don't begrudge any of them for wanting to further their careers and earn more money. 

Very much agree on most points, though I don't Butterworth can play the Rothwell role. He is a forward by trade, and I don't think he can easily step into a midfield role.

He has some great qualities, but missed a couple of years development/maturing through a couple of serious injuries. He desperately need a loan to with regular playing time, with a manager and some senior players that will put some demand on him.

You don't want to remove his swagger, but he needs to mature into a team player. 

38 minutes ago, rovers11 said:

I agree, I'm not convinced Diaz has another season like this in him so I'd cash in during the summer (but not in Jan). Armstrong is a better player but he's really struggled to make the step up. 

I actually think the opposite BB is growing into a better all rounder than Armstrong and allows the team to be a bit more flexible. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Gav said:

Agreed. If the owners are going to back Mowbray, now is the time to do it. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Wheelton Blue said:

Agreed. If the owners are going to back Mowbray, now is the time to do it. 

I hope he's backed with the funds to bring in cover for RB, CB and a replacement for Poveda. Would love a good striker to add to the mix and replace Armstrong but that's probably a step too far. Send Clarkson back and spin the wheel on a more useful loanee.

But I hope he doesn't buy players to pursue his possession based football nonsense. We're doing just fine without it.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, booth said:

But I hope he doesn't buy players to pursue his possession based football nonsense. We're doing just fine without it.

That's my fear about him.

If he is afforded funds in January, it needs to be for players who can make an immediate impact to support a play off challenge.

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, booth said:

I hope he's backed with the funds to bring in cover for RB, CB and a replacement for Poveda. Would love a good striker to add to the mix and replace Armstrong but that's probably a step too far. Send Clarkson back and spin the wheel on a more useful loanee.

We should be buying players better than we already have otherwise we are not progressing.  Cover players are not the answer.

My big fear right now is the goalkeeping situation.  If Kaminski is going to miss a few games then I think Pears will cost us dearly - I don't think Pears should ever have been signed, not even on a 12 month deal never mind the ludicrous 4 year deal.

Edited by Mercer
  • Like 3

17 minutes ago, joey_big_nose said:

I'm hoping if we sustain this run through December a combination of the players feeling inclined to stay and Venkys being inclined to spend will see all the key players sign.

Wishful thinking maybe, but we'll see.

We’ll see their true ‘latest’ intentions this January. Surely with their wealth and our league position, you take a couple of gambles.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Nyambe is not replaceable (with the same quality) for a few hundred grand. I think people will only realise how good he is once he has gone.

Ditto Rothwell. And BB leaving on an enforced basis would be a financial disaster for the Club. The only player I think would be replaceable with similar quality at a reasonable cost is Lenihan.

It would probably be easier to replace them all with a manager and CEO they want to sign for. The only hope would seem to be in the unlikely event that results and performances continue in the same vein as the last two and we get into the play offs.

It would then be a gamble for the players concerned. Is it worth it to leave for a bit more money to a team that definitely isn't going to make the play offs? Then again if more than one of JR DL or RN leave or BB leaves in Jan that would probably instantly scupper any outside play off chances anyway.

For me if we're still where we are now in Jan, for what it would be worth, we stick hold of them all in Jan and gamble on going up. The only decision worthy of consideration would be if someone came in with a massive offer for BB. And whilst he's had a great season so far I don't see anyone offering anywhere near the £25m you mention.

I disagree Rev with you on any and being irreplaceable. If you review the goals we concede over this season how many have come from his lack of positional sense and defensive awareness? Far too many if you ask me. His passing is mediocre at times and if you ask him to cross a ball then he really does struggle to make the grade. As powerful as he can be his defensive errors are frightening 

Yeh well really I still just want a Mowbrayout for Christmas regardless of anything else. 👍

if we're still in the top 6 (or even 8!!) come the end of the season then I'll happily eat my words but until then I still have no faith in him or his cronies to build on our current little run of form, nor do I have faith in anybody atvthe club to make tge right moves in the January transfer window. 

and if Kaminski is going to be out for a while then he's already got his excuse in the bag. 

Edited by Armchair supporter supremo