BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

January Transfer window 2022

12 minutes ago, Paul Mani said:

Mate, you’re so far off the mark here. We’ve not been sat under a rock for a decade. We know why we’re in this situation….it’s really clear that Venkys mismanaged the club etc etc…

So no one needs you to keep reminding us of that. What happened also has no bearing on what we do next other than learning a lesson and I’d argue that we’ve been better, navigating ffp is evidence of this.

You can’t be so quick to ban people from reminding posters about wild faux pas about Whiteman, BBD, Buckley etc and then constantly remind us every time the issue of FFP raises its head that Venkys contributed heavily to that situation.

We know they caused it, in fairness they’ve paid for that mistake too (to the tune of £200m+)….but in order to move forwards we must be capable of leaving what cannot be controlled in the past.

To be fair some people don't. You've only got to have a cursory glance at Facebook or Twitter to see that.

52 minutes ago, K-Hod said:

I just don’t want people to keep (deliberately?) missing the point of why we are in this situation.

It reminds me of people that get sunburnt, then put aloe Vera on to remedy it, instead of putting sun tan lotion on first, to give themselves the best chance of not getting sunburnt in the first place….

Sunburn, in lancashire ?

24 minutes ago, rovers11 said:

I guess if West Brom are serious then we'd struggle to match their offer. Would be a quality signing at this level though (arguably a good one even if we went up). 

1 hour ago, Paul Mani said:

But there’s nothing we / them / anyone can do about it…so genuinely, what’s the point?

You could say that about everything, team selections, transfers, tactics, it makes no difference what we think so why do we bother with this forum?

Even if we presume that we are right on the FFP boundary, which I dont believe, I dont get why it is assumed that Venkys would spend more anyway. 

1 hour ago, islander200 said:

Paying a wage bill 180% to turnover and spending 14 million on 3 players without selling anyone to fund it has contributed to that too.

With our current external income then our wage bill and transfer spend should be like the Luton's and Preston's of the division.

Agree wholeheartedly that more should be done to bring income into the club and do think some money should be made available but can understand why we might not be able to do that and I don't see many teams throwing loads of money at the January window.Bournemouth have really been struggling of late they have done nothing apart from the young lad from Fleetwood.

Even without Venkys mismanagement with the best will in the world I don't think we would be getting 20k a week through the door after ten years in the championship.

Out of interest, have your expectations of this window changed from the start when you felt like a couple of million was a reasonable expectation if I recall correctly?

I dont think we need to "throw loads of money" at it.

1 hour ago, JoeH said:

But we didn't put on suncream, everybody knows that. That decision was taken, right at the start of the holiday. Does that mean we shouldn't put the Aloe Vera on now? Does it mean we should spent the next 13 days of the all-inclusive discussing the error in judgement? 

To me a closer analogy is that you know you need suncream but the person with the suncream doesn't put it on for you. You're powerless to do anything and so as a result you don't trust thay person and worry about their reliability from that point on.

• Like 2

• Moderation Lead
57 minutes ago, Paul Mani said:

Mate, you’re so far off the mark here. We’ve not been sat under a rock for a decade. We know why we’re in this situation….it’s really clear that Venkys mismanaged the club etc etc…

So no one needs you to keep reminding us of that. What happened also has no bearing on what we do next other than learning a lesson and I’d argue that we’ve been better, navigating ffp is evidence of this.

You can’t be so quick to ban people from reminding posters about wild faux pas about Whiteman, BBD, Buckley etc and then constantly remind us every time the issue of FFP raises its head that Venkys contributed heavily to that situation.

We know they caused it, in fairness they’ve paid for that mistake too (to the tune of £200m+)….but in order to move forwards we must be capable of leaving what cannot be controlled in the past.

Thanks for telling me how to do a job I’ve been doing for several years. I give out bans a lot less than you’re giving me credit for to be honest and I’m probably too lenient if anything! 
I always give people a fair warning to stop baiting others re their past remarks, so it’s quite frustrating to read that I am quick to give out bans, when I’m definitely too slow in reality!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, JoeH said:

Why? What does focusing on it, as a fan or as a club, achieve?

I’d hope that it is a focus behind the scenes at Rovers. If there isn’t a private acknowledgement that Venky’s have made catastrophic mistakes that cannot be repeated, it’s a worry.

Purely from my perspective, I think current focus is on the green shoots we are seeing on and off the pitch, and I’m daring to be cautiously optimistic for the first time in a long time. 

When I read comments like “they pump x number of millions in a year”, I know it’s true, but it is always framed in such a way that they are acting in a benevolent manner, rather than paying for their own mistakes and fulfilling their most basic of obligations. I don’t agree with any suggestion “we should be grateful” or that “we are lucky to have them”, and I find any comments about how “We’d be screwed without them” and comparisons to Bury (but I suppose it will be Derby now) disrespectful and ignorant. I tend to just roll my eyes rather than get into arguments about it nowadays, I think there is a lot of wilful ignorance and revisionism about.

There’s also a lot of younger fans who don’t really understand the damage that Venky’s have done, with it even become an accepted narrative amongst some that we were hurtling towards bankruptcy until Venky’s came along. As a slight aside, some of the younger fans who tell people to stop living in the past are happy to take any opportunity to gloat about a title win they weren’t even alive for.

I’m all for celebrating our illustrious history, but we can’t ignore the mistakes Venky’s have made, even if it’s just seen as a cautionary tale. You are right, we can’t change the past, but plenty of our fans try to reframe it, that sticks in the craw.

I’m still not personally convinced that they have learnt much from their previous mistakes, we will see. Hopefully one day soon we can start talking about what Venky’s have done FOR us rather than TO us, promotion would be a start.

• Like 9

• Moderation Lead
1 hour ago, JoeH said:

But we didn't put on suncream, everybody knows that. That decision was taken, right at the start of the holiday. Does that mean we shouldn't put the Aloe Vera on now? Does it mean we should spent the next 13 days of the all-inclusive discussing the error in judgement? 

So long as people haven’t forgotten why we are in this position, I’ll leave it there.

It just seemed to me that was the case.

Those on facebook and a few on here were 'nt even 10 year sold when all this shit happened. They are the ones now saying its in the past etc etc. They didnt live through it. Please dont tell those that did how to deal with it. 

• Like 9

• Moderation Lead
3 minutes ago, JoeH said:

Nobody expects harsher, they expect fairer and more balanced. There’s no transparency and most of the time the bias is so clear & obvious. 

The only bias we have is against people being dicks. 
Any problems, slide into a mod’s DMs, or ask admin. The same as yesterday, the day before that, etc.

Just now, Wegerleswiggle said:

There's people of an older generation willing to look to the future rather than dwell in the past too. 

What's done is done, can't change it. Anybody still boycotting games because of the owners needs to get back to Ewood and push this team forward. 

Nobody said we can change it - but that does not mean we should not speak of it again, dust in under the carpet. History is consistently getting rewritten re this lot. For the sake of balance, as we're constantly reminded, the Venkies are putting in theior money not out of kindess so much, but because they got themselves in this mess in the first place. 

• Like 6

32 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

You could say that about everything, team selections, transfers, tactics, it makes no difference what we think so why do we bother with this forum?

Even if we presume that we are right on the FFP boundary, which I dont believe, I dont get why it is assumed that Venkys would spend more anyway. 

Out of interest, have your expectations of this window changed from the start when you felt like a couple of million was a reasonable expectation if I recall correctly?

I dont think we need to "throw loads of money" at it.

No I still think a few million should be found in this window.We should be using our position in the table to our advantage.

We don't agree on this but I assume Venkys would spend some money due to the fact we committed 14 million to 3 forward players in the space of a year whilst recieving  3 million back for Raya.Plus multiple other players came through the door at that point.

We haven't spent much in terms of transfer fees since but 12 players came in last summer , that still cost the club.

13 minutes ago, JacknOry said:

Nobody said we can change it - but that does not mean we should not speak of it again, dust in under the carpet. History is consistently getting rewritten re this lot. For the sake of balance, as we're constantly reminded, the Venkies are putting in theior money not out of kindess so much, but because they got themselves in this mess in the first place. 

I agree we shouldn't forget it. I do agree with that. I just don't think we should linger on it forever and at some point, we have to move forward

I think people miss the point that Joe is trying to make.

He isn't saying that Venky's haven't made disastrous mistakes in the past. He also isn't saying that we should be immensely grateful for their financial support either.

I also find the dig about young fans not experiencing the Kean/Anderson days to be not very constructive whatsoever. Most of the fans of this club below the age of 20 can't remember anything other than Championship/league one football.

We should be grateful for their support.

Edited by JeffRover
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, JacknOry said:

No one is suggesting that it should be forgotten about. There’s a middle ground where we understand the reasons behind where we are today but also realise that there’s little benefit in complaining about events which largely occurred over a decade ago and can’t be undone.

Trying to run the club in a financially sustainable way and cutting our cloth accordingly during this transfer window makes sense, regardless of what happened before.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, JacknOry said:

Those on facebook and a few on here were 'nt even 10 year sold when all this shit happened. They are the ones now saying its in the past etc etc. They didnt live through it. Please dont tell those that did how to deal with it. 

Ah so we're just going with the pure ageism stance? Come on. That's not the route here. We're all adults and those who care enough have done a lot of research anyway. Let's not alienate younger fans and discount them from the conversation. 

It doesn't take a 10 year old to tell you that 2010 is in the past either!

2 hours ago, arbitro said:

It doesn't stop me forgetting two relegations, a host of con men made extremely rich, loss of thousands of fans, millions of pounds frittered away, lots of redundancies, local business incomes affected and many other things. And to remind you we were a terrifically well run club before they came. We quickly became the opposite. If they had kept a semblance of normality we could have maintained our PL status. And if we had that would have been around £1b into the club.

Stupidity doesn't do it justice so I will focus on that for as long as they are here.

I'm sorry Tony but historically I agree (as you full well know) but as is the here and now, I vehemently disagree.

I'll leave it there.