BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

January Transfer window 2022

3 minutes ago, darrenrover said:

I'm sorry Tony but historically I agree (as you full well know) but as is the here and now, I vehemently disagree.

I'll leave it there.

It's your prerogative to vehemently disagree but the facts are there and nothing they have done recently gives me any confidence going forward despite our league position. 

Out of interest what are they doing in the here and now that brings any optimism?

51 minutes ago, K-Hod said:

Thanks for telling me how to do a job I’ve been doing for several years. I give out bans a lot less than you’re giving me credit for to be honest and I’m probably too lenient if anything! 
I always give people a fair warning to stop baiting others re their past remarks, so it’s quite frustrating to read that I am quick to give out bans, when I’m definitely too slow in reality!

I appreciate the job you do. You’re very fair. That doesn’t mean you’re not wrong on this particular point pal.

22 minutes ago, arbitro said:

It's your prerogative to vehemently disagree but the facts are there and nothing they have done recently gives me any confidence going forward despite our league position. 

Out of interest what are they doing in the here and now that brings any optimism?

Edited by darrenrover

5 hours ago, darrenrover said:

"A quick look at our opposition tonight shows you don't need £50 million in sales and training grounds being transferred to comply with FFP and still invest."

.....And where do our opposition tonight sit currently in the league table compared with us?

Your mathematics also don't add up....you can't use potential sales in the future as current cash in the bank.

FFP is a fact, rightly or wrongly...it's about time there were more bums on seats at Ewood, rather than just completely berating the owners for "lack of ambition". Like it or not, the fact is that Venkys poured in another just short of £35 million into BRFC last financial year, respectfully give it some thought.

A quick look at our opposition tonight…

You mean the team that are owned by someone trying to sue Derby for losing 50m+ for missing out on promotion?

Why do you think Steve Gibson was so unhappy? Because Derby effectively cheated the rules. Look at them now.

Also Boro have been overspending (past turnover) for over a decade.

FFP is not a shield, an excuse or a way of defending any owner in the league.

Its a set of rules all teams have to abide by. There are ways round the system - what about selling your training ground to your own owners? Sheffield Wednesday’s owner Chansiri, got caught out with dodgy mortgage values and fell foul of those rules.

Will we get away with it? I hope so, because an embargo means no money at all spent; not just no million pounds signings, nobody on a free, nobody on loan.

If there’s a problem with “fairness” it’s FFP and the way they’re enforced to make smaller teams to suffer and pay less wages.

This is not excusing the damage the owners have done, and it’s certainly not forgiving them for sending our turnover south, but could a few of us bare in mind that not every single problem starts, an ends, with our owners.

5 minutes ago, darrenrover said:

18 months or so ago, you chose not to bother to try to influence change, which was your prerogative. I chose to soldier on and am still doing so, which as you say, was my prerogative and still is.

At the end of the day we are all Rovers and want the best for the club, divergent opinions are healthy and I agree with that too.

As I've always said and without stating the obvious, one cannot change the past but the future can be influenced!

My reason was, as I said at the time was that I didn't believe they are interested nor could anybody influence change. I also said to you that if you do I will shake you warmly by the hand and say extremely well done, I was wrong. And in all honesty Nick I really hope I am wrong but nothing about them gives me any hope.

Your second sentence is bang on.

1 hour ago, Miller11 said:

I’d hope that it is a focus behind the scenes at Rovers. If there isn’t a private acknowledgement that Venky’s have made catastrophic mistakes that cannot be repeated, it’s a worry.

Purely from my perspective, I think current focus is on the green shoots we are seeing on and off the pitch, and I’m daring to be cautiously optimistic for the first time in a long time. 

When I read comments like “they pump x number of millions in a year”, I know it’s true, but it is always framed in such a way that they are acting in a benevolent manner, rather than paying for their own mistakes and fulfilling their most basic of obligations. I don’t agree with any suggestion “we should be grateful” or that “we are lucky to have them”, and I find any comments about how “We’d be screwed without them” and comparisons to Bury (but I suppose it will be Derby now) disrespectful and ignorant. I tend to just roll my eyes rather than get into arguments about it nowadays, I think there is a lot of wilful ignorance and revisionism about.

There’s also a lot of younger fans who don’t really understand the damage that Venky’s have done, with it even become an accepted narrative amongst some that we were hurtling towards bankruptcy until Venky’s came along. As a slight aside, some of the younger fans who tell people to stop living in the past are happy to take any opportunity to gloat about a title win they weren’t even alive for.

I’m all for celebrating our illustrious history, but we can’t ignore the mistakes Venky’s have made, even if it’s just seen as a cautionary tale. You are right, we can’t change the past, but plenty of our fans try to reframe it, that sticks in the craw.

I’m still not personally convinced that they have learnt much from their previous mistakes, we will see. Hopefully one day soon we can start talking about what Venky’s have done FOR us rather than TO us, promotion would be a start.

I have always worried and do still worry that there are people still around, who might either have the owners ear, or still have a silent say in what goes on.

History tells us that Coyle, despite trying his best to deny it, came from connections form a certain agent and even the current manager has connections, if you look carefully enough.

It is not beyond all possibility that the infection, has not fully cleared yet and we have never been told directly from the owners, exactly what went on and how they feel about being badly advised, if that was indeed the case.

• Like 4

41 minutes ago, JeffRover said:

I think people miss the point that Joe is trying to make.

He isn't saying that Venky's haven't made disastrous mistakes in the past. He also isn't saying that we should be immensely grateful for their financial support either.

I also find the dig about young fans not experiencing the Kean/Anderson days to be not very constructive whatsoever. Most of the fans of this club below the age of 20 can't remember anything other than Championship/league one football.

We should be grateful for their support.

I don’t think anyone is having a dig, or isn’t glad they support Rovers, but I don’t like being told to “get over it” by people who didn’t experience it.

4 minutes ago, Miller11 said:

I don’t think anyone is having a dig, or isn’t glad they support Rovers, but I don’t like being told to “get over it” by people who didn’t experience it.

Who is saying that? Has anyone on here told you to forget about it? The only comments I’ve seen are that we shouldn’t dredge it up all the time.

Dont know why age has come into it. I was 22 when Venky’s bought the club, does that count? 

1 hour ago, Wegerleswiggle said:

I expect to see Hedges and Healey this week. 

I an guessing this is purely a guess/gut feeling but I can't see it. The Healey rumour seems to have basically eminated from nothing like the Maddison one from a few years ago. Mowbray said today that we are in the untested kid on loan market due to lack of finance, Healey is a key player for a side 2nd in the French second division, how can we afford him even if we do want him?

1 hour ago, Miller11 said:

I’d hope that it is a focus behind the scenes at Rovers. If there isn’t a private acknowledgement that Venky’s have made catastrophic mistakes that cannot be repeated, it’s a worry.

Purely from my perspective, I think current focus is on the green shoots we are seeing on and off the pitch, and I’m daring to be cautiously optimistic for the first time in a long time. 

When I read comments like “they pump x number of millions in a year”, I know it’s true, but it is always framed in such a way that they are acting in a benevolent manner, rather than paying for their own mistakes and fulfilling their most basic of obligations. I don’t agree with any suggestion “we should be grateful” or that “we are lucky to have them”, and I find any comments about how “We’d be screwed without them” and comparisons to Bury (but I suppose it will be Derby now) disrespectful and ignorant. I tend to just roll my eyes rather than get into arguments about it nowadays, I think there is a lot of wilful ignorance and revisionism about.

There’s also a lot of younger fans who don’t really understand the damage that Venky’s have done, with it even become an accepted narrative amongst some that we were hurtling towards bankruptcy until Venky’s came along. As a slight aside, some of the younger fans who tell people to stop living in the past are happy to take any opportunity to gloat about a title win they weren’t even alive for.

I’m all for celebrating our illustrious history, but we can’t ignore the mistakes Venky’s have made, even if it’s just seen as a cautionary tale. You are right, we can’t change the past, but plenty of our fans try to reframe it, that sticks in the craw.

I’m still not personally convinced that they have learnt much from their previous mistakes, we will see. Hopefully one day soon we can start talking about what Venky’s have done FOR us rather than TO us, promotion would be a start.

Totally agree. It is made out as if they pump money in with ambition and desire to push us forward, they merely raise share capital to cover costs as a matter of necessity. It is also made out as if FFP is the main dampner on their ambition, a totally baseless theory.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, magicalmortensleftpeg said:

Who is saying that? Has anyone on here told you to forget about it? The only comments I’ve seen are that we shouldn’t dredge it up all the time.

Dont know why age has come into it. I was 22 when Venky’s bought the club, does that count? 

Plenty of people, frequently.

I think it’s actually pretty relevant to discuss Venky’s ownership when we are talking about potentially falling foul of FFP rules. Their actions have directly resulted in our revenue plummeting. It was hardly a case of it being dredged up out of nowhere.

If you are rewriting history and telling people they should stop being upset at what Venky’s have done, I’d say you were old enough to know better.

• Like 4

52 minutes ago, Miller11 said:

Nobody has said that mate. Come on, I totally get your perspective & I agree with a lot of what you're saying. Ialso don't think we should go down the age route here. 

Just now, JoeH said:

Nobody has said that mate. Come on, I totally get your perspective & I agree with a lot of what you're saying. Ialso don't think we should go down the age route here. 

Not in the last couple of hours on this particular thread Joe, but I hear it frequently… “get over it, move on.”

It’s often from younger people, and I’d suggest that is a result of them not having witnessed or experienced the events so fully. I’d be just as annoyed if it was a Chilean who has only taken an interest in BRFC in the last 12 months saying these things, regardless of age, which has happened.

Theres people in their 30s or beyond who use the argument too. I can’t understand where they are coming from.

Just now, Miller11 said:

It’s often from younger people, and I’d suggest that is a result of them not having witnessed or experienced the events so fully

I'd suggest it's far more likely to come from the optimism of youth rather than a disregard or lack of understanding of the past. But I acknowledge it will play a factor. I think younger people are just more accustomed to the situation, because there's less of a hangover from the glory days.

48 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Totally agree. It is made out as if they pump money in with ambition and desire to push us forward, they merely raise share capital to cover costs as a matter of necessity. It is also made out as if FFP is the main dampner on their ambition, a totally baseless theory.

I'm not looking for an argument and don't want to be accused of trolling again but you never responded to my earlier response.

How do you explain the 14 million spent on 3 attackers within 12 months after promotion from League one?

Or that they turned down a massive offer for Dack that January?

The multiple players through the door in the last 5 years?

The fact we have only sold two players of value within that time?

I certainly don't think that they would start splashing out mega money if ffp wasn't here but I certainly don't agree that all they have done is service debt when it's clear money has been spent to try improve the team 

Just now, JoeH said:

I'd suggest it's far more likely to come from the optimism of youth rather than a disregard or lack of understanding of the past. But I acknowledge it will play a factor. I think younger people are just more accustomed to the situation, because there's less of a hangover from the glory days.

Absolutely. Wouldn’t disagree with much of that, except I think it’s a bit of both re optimism/disregard. I don’t mean anything to be a sweeping statement against our younger fans at all, but I would say youth is an understandable reason for some to hold their less angry views. Again, my issue comes from being told by anyone how I should feel when they aren’t coming from a similar perspective.

I think modern technology also makes it far more appealing for younger fans to live in the now rather than the past. I grew up having to satisfy my thirst for all things Rovers with old books and programmes.

40 minutes ago, Mercer said:

Think 'Blue Nun' might be about to become very popular with Rovers' fans.

I'll leave that one with you.

'Crown of Crowns'?.....behave Merc, stick with St Emilion, you're showing your age with the initial reference!😉

Any betting tips btw?..........'Boro nailed on?

16 minutes ago, Miller11 said:

Absolutely. Wouldn’t disagree with much of that, except I think it’s a bit of both re optimism/disregard. I don’t mean anything to be a sweeping statement against our younger fans at all, but I would say youth is an understandable reason for some to hold their less angry views. Again, my issue comes from being told by anyone how I should feel when they aren’t coming from a similar perspective.

I think modern technology also makes it far more appealing for younger fans to live in the now rather than the past. I grew up having to satisfy my thirst for all things Rovers with old books and programmes.

If it's any consolation, I'm still extremely bitter about what 'went on'.

There comes a point though (for me) where what's the point?......you can't change anything...it's gone. The present and the future though is entirely different.

I'll never forgive, nor will I forget (far from it) but neither will I spite my face because of it!

WE ARE The Rovers, COYB!!!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JoeH said:

I agree we shouldn't forget it. I do agree with that. I just don't think we should linger on it forever and at some point, we have to move forward

But the younger generation is not educated about what actually happened. So new narratives are now drawn up that suggest that our owners are the best thing since sliced cheese. us older dudes have to keep reminding the younguns about the true facts - else, well you know. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JoeH said:

Ah so we're just going with the pure ageism stance? Come on. That's not the route here. We're all adults and those who care enough have done a lot of research anyway. Let's not alienate younger fans and discount them from the conversation. 

It doesn't take a 10 year old to tell you that 2010 is in the past either!

Look, i promised to not engage with you, so will make this short, How old were you when we won the premier league? How old were you were you when Venkies tool over? Thats not ageism dude....