BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

January Transfer window 2022

Just now, JacknOry said:

But the younger generation is not educated about what actually happened. So new narratives are now drawn up that suggest that our owners are the best thing since sliced cheese. us older dudes have to keep reminding the younguns about the true facts - else, well you know. 

I hate the Venkys but why is it so important to draw others in? If they are happy following the club so be it. We will exist after Venkys only if people continue to follow. Sometimes in life it is better to draw a line under things. Ignorance is bliss, so let them be ignorant to what went on 

1 minute ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

I hate the Venkys but why is it so important to draw others in? If they are happy following the club so be it. We will exist after Venkys only if people continue to follow. Sometimes in life it is better to draw a line under things. Ignorance is bliss, so let them be ignorant to what went on 

Lines have been drawn - but people are suggesting they should be forgotten. We should nevver forget the Anderson/kean days no matter how many kids born post that era suggest we should. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, darrenrover said:

If it's any consolation, I'm still extremely bitter about what 'went on'.

There comes a point though (for me) where what's the point?......you can't change anything...it's gone. The present and the future though is entirely different.

I'll never forgive, nor will I forget (far from it) but neither will I spite my face because of it!

WE ARE The Rovers, COYB!!!

I cut off my nose to spite my face for far too long. I now recognise that my boycotting served no purpose other than denying me the chance of doing something I enjoyed.

I’m glad I came to this realisation because I’m really enjoying this current team, more so than I have since Hughes was here.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, JoeH said:

Ah so we're just going with the pure ageism stance? Come on. That's not the route here. We're all adults and those who care enough have done a lot of research anyway. Let's not alienate younger fans and discount them from the conversation. 

It doesn't take a 10 year old to tell you that 2010 is in the past either!

You didnt see us as a good PL club, winning cups and leagues. You were probably just about off the potty by time we were relegated under this lot. Dont you think that you should take that into consideration before lambasting others? 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, JacknOry said:

But the younger generation is not educated about what actually happened

That's just a sweeping statement and we're going to enter the territory of having a multi-page spanning debate about something we're clearly never going to agree on.

Just now, JacknOry said:

You didnt see us as a good PL club, winning cups and leagues. You were probably just about off the potty by time we were relegated under this lot. Dont you think that you should take that into consideration before lambasting others? 

I haven't lambasted anyone, I don't genuinely know what you're referring to. I think this is getting out of hand?

6 minutes ago, JacknOry said:

Arguably ageism is you younger generation berating the older ones for hoding a grudge againt something you didnt live through?. 

Are you suggesting I'm 11?

Just now, JacknOry said:

No, im suggesting you wrre in 2019 (lol) joke. Im just saying, you didnt experience it - so how can you can lecture us on it?

I'm not lecturing you, I'm not lambasting anyone. Read the posts? What have I said that's so egregious? 

2 minutes ago, JoeH said:

I'm not lecturing you, I'm not lambasting anyone. Read the posts? What have I said that's so egregious? 

Just read through the last few pages mate. For some that have supported the club for 30-50 years, its not something they want to just brush under the carpet. Yet the younger generation, ie you, seems happy to do so.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, JacknOry said:

Just read through the last few pages mate. For some that have supported the club for 30-50 years, its not something they want to just brush under the carpet. Yet the younger generation, ie you, seems happy to do so.

If you've read then you'll surely be able to see that I'm not lambasting anyone, I'm not lecturing. All I've done is had a really civil and balanced conversation with the likes of @Miller11and others. I don't know what I do to rile you up but it is not my aim. 

I don't think we need to make this conversation about age. 20 years, 30 years, 40 years, it doesn't make a difference. For me our time on the planet doesn't in any way affect our love for our club. We all care about the same thing.

15 minutes ago, JoeH said:

If you've read then you'll surely be able to see that I'm not lambasting anyone, I'm not lecturing. All I've done is had a really civil and balanced conversation with the likes of @Miller11and others. I don't know what I do to rile you up but it is not my aim. 

I don't think we need to make this conversation about age. 20 years, 30 years, 40 years, it doesn't make a difference. For me our time on the planet doesn't in any way affect our love for our club. We all care about the same thing.

That's quite sensible for a 12 year old 😂😂😂😂

I don't want to prolong this debate but from my perspective I have no faith in them going forward based on the last decade. I was wracking my brains earlier to think of one thing that they have done that has tangibly benefited the club. I can't think of one although I appreciate there are some fans who see things differently and credit them for something somewhere in their tenure.

But ultimately it's watching and winning what the majority want I hope.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, booth said:

If you weren't in the stadium when Kean was in charge, Anderson "wasn't" running the club, stewards were treating season ticket holders like criminals, and the likes of John Williams and Tom Finn were marginalised and resigning, all whilst Venkys did absolutely nothing, you'll never know why it would take so much to forgive and forget. That night when we went down against Wigan was a very sad day for the club.

We were one of the best ran clubs in the entire country before Venkys came along.

Whoever I think of that game, I remember the Orr interview after. I have loved loads of Rovers players over the years, including plenty, who weren’t great players. What Orr said that night, made him become the first Rovers player, I have ever hated. It takes some getting over does that. 

• Like 2

I recall a woman in the suite behind the Darwen end directing police to young kids who had anti Venkys banners.

Never been so irate at a football match and never been so ashamed to be a Rovers fan.

We need promotion to get sufficient cash to rid the club if them.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Miller11 said:

I don’t think anyone is having a dig, or isn’t glad they support Rovers, but I don’t like being told to “get over it” by people who didn’t experience it.

I experienced it and I say to you, get over it. We are where we are, let's move on.

• Like 1

Signing Hedges on a pre-contractual agreement makes no sense. Binding ourselves into a deal 6 months in advance seems foolish when we are unsure what decision we will be in, and I am not convinced how he fits in. That being said, if a deal is to be done, it should be done now and surely the owners can scramble together a couple of hundred grand to add another attacking option, perhaps alongside a striker on loan.

2 hours ago, islander200 said:

I'm not looking for an argument and don't want to be accused of trolling again but you never responded to my earlier response.

How do you explain the 14 million spent on 3 attackers within 12 months after promotion from League one?

Or that they turned down a massive offer for Dack that January?

The multiple players through the door in the last 5 years?

The fact we have only sold two players of value within that time?

I certainly don't think that they would start splashing out mega money if ffp wasn't here but I certainly don't agree that all they have done is service debt when it's clear money has been spent to try improve the team 

The Dack thing is irrelevant as we don't know the bid, it could have been a really low one. I judge on what actually happens, as you say, we did indeed spend 14m. Obviously not all they have done is service debt but as has been the case throughout Venkys tenure, it is windows with reasonable spend followed by a series of windows with the taps totally off. Its inconsistent and subsequently hinders rather than helps.

23 minutes ago, JohnD said:

I recall a woman in the suite behind the Darwen end directing police to young kids who had anti Venkys banners.

Never been so irate at a football match and never been so ashamed to be a Rovers fan.

We need promotion to get sufficient cash to rid the club if them.

I remember turning up to a game and they were searching infants at the turnstile. One kid had a little plastic bottle of water and they said to the Dad, he can't take this in. The Dad was saying, it's a hot day how can you take a drink off a child like that. "Club policy" came the reply.

• Like 1

RE: Middlesbrough transfers, this year is the first year they've spent a decent chunk since 18/19 (the summer they had £40m+ in sales). They had big losses in 19-20 (and probably 2020-21 too, like everyone else, barring Covid-related exemptions), but their amortisation and wage costs have been dropping a lot too (Assambalonga, Fletcher, Ayala, Pears... 🙂) Probably up against FFP, like many clubs (and reportedly on the verge of a transfer ban), but I don't think they're an obvious case of taking the financial piss...

On 23/01/2022 at 15:29, Crimpshrine said:

I don't think that's quite right. Cheston was quoted in fans forum minutes of Jan 2020 that we were close to the limit at that point. We have not overshot by £30 million since then. We are allowed to lose £13 million per year so we would have to have posted a loss of more than £56 million if we needed the whole proceeds from AA and the training ground to balance the FFP books.

@RoverCanadaposted some figures a week or so ago - he is usually quite accurate.

I'm convinced we have FFP wriggle room. If Venky's aren't prepared to take a gamble this year, while we are in this position, then they never will.  I don't think we will finish second without more strengthening in this window, Only way to fix FFP restrictions in the future is to get promoted.

Haha, I appreciate that, but I stress that I just try to put together some semi-educated guesstimates! The actual accounts do sometimes surprise...

As I said earlier, it probably depends on the interpretation of the FFP cycles, how much 'profit' we actually made on the training ground, and the amount of FFP exemptions that were granted for Covid. My guess is cheap buys (Markanday), loan-to-buys (Zeefuik), and cheap loans are all we can 'manage' this year within FFP, but the Armstrong/training ground sale do give us some breathing room for future years (while getting us out of an embargo this year). But my calcs are based on quite a few assumptions!

(I'm also still surprised the club hasn't gotten more stick for being stuck paying for the Poveda loan! Seems like a negotiating oversight to me (e.g. we did send Cunningham back a few years ago when he blew out his knee). Premier League clubs are going to be stingey in this financial environment.)

On 23/01/2022 at 16:32, Miller11 said:

I think not yet selling (I won’t use the term cashing in on) Rothwell, Lenihan and Nyambe, plus the loan signing of Zeefuik is Venky’s idea of going for it. It’s about as much concession as they will make. Markanday is the type of signing we’d have budgeted for anyway.

If we weren’t challenging for promotion I’m pretty certain we’d be seeing out the campaign with JRC at right back, Clarkson in midfield and Ayala playing regularly with Johnson as the centre half back up.

It wouldn’t be too much to ask for a couple more loan/cheap signings though. No need to break the bank, but we do need strengthening to give us the best chance of promotion. Dare I say Andy Carroll would seem a shrewd bit of business right now.

Yeah, think this is a fair summary. It'll be quite a kick in the gut if we don't get promoted and lose all three of the above, but it is looking like we're forgoing some transfer fees (plus the cost of the rest of their wages) by hanging on to them.

I'd maybe quibble with 'concession', as I do think we're still tight with FFP. But I think a couple cheap, but potentially 'quality', loans are the obvious/affordable route, at the very least. PL youngsters are always a wildcard, but we also should have a decent reputation with PL clubs by now, so hopefully loan fees aren't extortionate.

• Like 1

On 23/01/2022 at 15:38, tomphil said:

They put the clubs finances at risk the minute they and their friends walked through the door. There's a reason they are allegedly damned if they do or don't. This little period can be viewed as a little bit of payback finally for the 9/10k of us who've stuck with it despite often despising them and some of those they've employed. They've helped create the very thing that is now almost totally dependent on their wealth, some might even say that suits them.

So forgive me if my heart doesn't bleed for them when some are asking for just a couple of million extra quid spent wisely, to give us a real chance.

I'm not saying they are blameless but I'm talking about the here and now. If everything they do is based on what's gone before then we may as well shut the gates.

I'm not excusing them for any of that but based on the point of here and now to just go for it, they would get even more pelters.

The only way it works is they go for it and it comes off but it's a big if. This squad has again proved tonight what it can do so I stand by my point, a few heads to add some strength and depth and we don't need to squander millions.

The bench is generally weak but our starting 11 is delivering most weeks hence we sit 2nd.

Only at Blackburn could 2nd in the league feel so depressing!