BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

January Transfer window 2022

6 minutes ago, darrenrover said:

£10 million with no add ons and Rothwell can go in January.

He's got a great contract offer from Rovers on the table but within our means. He's also got his share of the £12 million incentive for promotion to consider, if he were to sign a new contract.

If you were Joe Rothwell, what would you do?

I'd be asking "where's the bloody blue and white pen"!

He isn't going to sign the deal offered so far. If he was it would have happened by now.

Which leads me to believe that the offer isn't a great one at all, but actually quite a poor one which is the same reason the others haven't committed to a club they are settled and playing well at.

The onus is on Rovers to improve their offers and pay good players their worth, otherwise we will continue to face this sort of thing from nonentities like Bournemouth and Boscombe.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, islander200 said:

I'm basing my thought process off the fact we have sold only 2 players of any value in 5 years.And that I know for a fact bids have been turned down plenty of times for our players.

There is absolutely nothing to suggest that we would accept a bid for Rothwell now unless it was silly money 

I don't think we have ever had an offer for a player with six months left on his deal who can walk away for nothing. the two who were sold were still contracted to us. I was saying that who knows what the owners will do if they consider the reported £2m a good offer.

44 minutes ago, Tugayisgod said:

If Rothwell had given the impression of downing tools and throwing the toys out of the pram then you may have had to consider it. The fact that he is probably playing as well as he has done in his time here suggests that is certainly not the case

Rothwell was quoted last week as to enjoy his football more than any stage of his career, so not likely to throw his tools out I'd suggest. As a free agent in the summer, there's probably a big sign-on fee waiting and potential better clubs than Bmouth. Might be a promotion bonus for rovers as well 🙂

• Like 1

I don't disagree with the prevailing opinion that we shouldn't sell Rothwell to a promotion rival and that we should be very reluctant to disrupt a team that is clearly working well and where all of the players seem to be really pulling in the same direction - HOWEVER, it's impressive to see how people's estimation of Rothwell have increased over the past 6 months. 

I have little doubt that many would have happily accepted a similar bid 12 months ago. I don't want any changes to the squad right now, but we also don't want to risk evaluating our players purely based on their best form (and not a pretty large sample size or mediocre performances and inconsistency). 

I'm definitely in the camp of "selling Rothwell now, especially to a promotion rival, is insane" 

BUT I suspect that Rothwell wants to leave and Mowbrays recent comments have suggested as much. So with that in mind I think Rothwell will end up going, which would be madness from our point of view. 

The only way I can imagine Mowbray would be even remotely happy with it, is if he is guaranteed funds from the sale to reinvest.

Even then, you'd need a replacement lined up beforehand.

2 minutes ago, arbitro said:

I don't think we have ever had an offer for a player with six months left on his deal who can walk away for nothing. the two who were sold were still contracted to us. I was saying that who knows what the owners will do if they consider the reported £2m a good offer.

What is £2 million pound to the owners? Seriously?

We are sat 2nd In the table just after beating a promotion rival.If you want to spend the next week worrying we will cash In on players the ok.But it won't be happening

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, 1864roverite said:

I actually think its a genuine effort to sign him Rev. On the face of it Rovers are in a conundrum here. Sell him to a rival for say £2.5 million and run the risk of him firing them back above us or getting a fee that more than covers the outlay on the player over the course of his contract?

I agree entirely that promotion is the goal and the money that would come in is phenomenal and has to be a factor but the reality is this, if he stays does he then kick off and not do his best? does he sulk? which in turn doesnt help the team. 

Not a conundrum at all. Not even worthy of consideration. Bournemouth playing silly buggers and I think we're on top of what they're up to.

We're they to multiply the alleged offer by 5 or 6 it might be worth having the conversation but that's not going to happen due to his contract situation.

There's not even a hint of a suggestion that the performances of the  out of contract three have dipped one iota either. You'd think if that was going to happen it would have been this month in order to try and force a move but it simply hasn't occurred.  

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, davulsukur said:

I'm definitely in the camp of "selling Rothwell now, especially to a promotion rival, is insane" 

BUT I suspect that Rothwell wants to leave and Mowbrays recent comments have suggested as much. So with that in mind I think Rothwell will end up going, which would be madness from our point of view. 

The only way I can imagine Mowbray would be even remotely happy with it, is if he is guaranteed funds from the sale to reinvest.

Even then, you'd need a replacement lined up beforehand.

He isn't going anywhere.Quite clear from Mowbrays interview that he was actually out with a back problem.

£2 million quid is nothing to the owners.Been absolutely no suggestion Rothwell has asked to leave this season?Why would he?

He is playing for the team in 2nd and in less than 6 months is free to negotiate a contract with whoever he wants

I’m not going to worry about this until it becomes clear that things are progressing.

I can’t see us selling to Bournemouth unless the money is silly and he is desperate to go. But I don’t see why Rothwell would commit to them given that they’re lower in the league than us! Hardly a massive selling point. He’ll be holding out for a PL move which is fair enough. 

1 minute ago, magicalmortensleftpeg said:

I’m not going to worry about this until it becomes clear that things are progressing.

I can’t see us selling to Bournemouth unless the money is silly and he is desperate to go. But I don’t see why Rothwell would commit to them given that they’re lower in the league than us! Hardly a massive selling point. He’ll be holding out for a PL move which is fair enough. 

He’s not a Premier League player unless we’re talking Norwich. He’s not consistent enough. Great one game, very quiet the next.

The conudrum with Rothwell, is he can sign a PCA with Bournemouth now, and then move for free im summer to them. If he did that, there is no way we can play him, as they are our direct rivals for Automatic promotion.

So for me it comes down to if Rothwell wants to go Bournemouth? If he does then financially its a yes, purely on the basis of my first paragraph.

If he dont want a transfer this window, its a flat no.

If Bournemouth are cute, its the PCA they should be pushing, as that forces our hand really.

Hopefully he signs new deal and thats put to bed

• Like 2

Yeah you can't sign a pre contract with another English club. 

Slightly different rules than Scotland where they can I think.

Rothwell would only be able to sign a pre contract at somewhere abroad/Scotland.

Edited by MarkBRFC

7 minutes ago, glen9mullan said:

The conudrum with Rothwell, is he can sign a PCA with Bournemouth now, and then move for free im summer to them. If he did that, there is no way we can play him, as they are our direct rivals for Automatic promotion.

So for me it comes down to if Rothwell wants to go Bournemouth? If he does then financially its a yes, purely on the basis of my first paragraph.

If he dont want a transfer this window, its a flat no.

If Bournemouth are cute, its the PCA they should be pushing, as that forces our hand really.

Hopefully he signs new deal and thats put to bed

He can't

Rothwell surely sits tight if he wants to play at the top level

If we get promoted he is in the premier league. If we don't and Bournemouth do, if they are genuinely interested they just pick him up on a free.

• Like 1

Even if he could sign a PCA with Bournemouth and Boscombe, why would he with the clubs in the positions and form they are?

Bournemouth have won 2 in 10 and are stuttering. Rovers have been outperforming them for 3 months.

How stupid would he feel if he signed an agreement with them now, we got promoted and they stayed in the Championship?

He'd of course be better off waiting until the summer, see how things go and make his decision then.

• Like 1

Just now, JHRover said:

Even if he could sign a PCA with Bournemouth and Boscombe, why would he with the clubs in the positions and form they are?

Bournemouth have won 2 in 10 and are stuttering. Rovers have been outperforming them for 3 months.

How stupid would he feel if he signed an agreement with them now, we got promoted and they stayed in the Championship?

He'd of course be better off waiting until the summer, see how things go and make his decision then.

Cold hard cash is the only reason.

I imagine Bournemouth would more than double his wages now without thinking about it.

I agree though, even for that it would be stupid, if he plays like he has in the last 18 games and we go up, i'm sure there will be a few vying for his services at more money than Bournemouth would pay him now.

56 minutes ago, 1864roverite said:

Its not Waggot that makes that decision, its the owners!

Looking at it subjectively, Rothwell is not as good as what Bournemouth already have, Billing, Lerma, Christie, cook and the mercurial Marcondes. He wont unseat any of these players. Anthony and Solanke up front can both play wide or central. Lowe and Rodgers are also a pair of decent forwards who can play Rothwells role. So, if you aks me he has his work cut out even more than he ever did at Ewood and on top of all that are Bournemouth better than us?

Bournemouth have better players than us indeed, it's their poor manager that is the problem. Would be a massive risk for Joe to leave. 

Better to give promotion a shot and keep all the players. 

Personally £7 million would be my figure for Joe And £5 million for Nyambe. 

£28 million for BBD would be fair enough. 

23 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

He’s not a Premier League player unless we’re talking Norwich. He’s not consistent enough. Great one game, very quiet the next.

I agree, I don’t think he’ll attract PL interest. But with our current form, why would you leave for another Champ club? Only Fulham are in a stronger position and I can’t see them bothering. I think he’ll still be here come 01 Feb, unless someone offers stupid money (£10m plus) which isn’t happening.

11 minutes ago, MarkBRFC said:

Yeah you can't sign a pre contract with another English club. 

Slightly different rules than Scotland where they can I think.

Rothwell would only be able to sign a pre contract at somewhere abroad/Scotland.

Officially he can't, but thats not to say it doesn't happen. His agent will be having those discussions, and it be naive of Rovers to think otherwise