BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

January Transfer window 2022

Just now, glen9mullan said:

Officially he can't, but thats not to say it doesn't happen. His agent will be having those discussions, and it be naive of Rovers to think otherwise 

He can't put pen to paper though.

We won't be selling for the figures talked about to a direct rival.

Just now, islander200 said:

He can't put pen to paper though.

We won't be selling for the figures talked about to a direct rival.

I'm not advocating a sale, it be criminal to sell to a rival.

As said, this will come down to Rothwell, If he fancies it now, then it will happen. Rovers wont want an unhappy player around the squad.

There is no evidence to suggest he is unhappy, with all the noise the opposite. 

He will get the better wages he seeks, so at some point we need to either cough up, or lose the player

5 minutes ago, glen9mullan said:

I'm not advocating a sale, it be criminal to sell to a rival.

As said, this will come down to Rothwell, If he fancies it now, then it will happen. Rovers wont want an unhappy player around the squad.

There is no evidence to suggest he is unhappy, with all the noise the opposite. 

He will get the better wages he seeks, so at some point we need to either cough up, or lose the player

Be illogical for Rothwell to want to agree a move to Bournemouth at this point tho?

He is playing for the team in second, in less than 5 month he can choose who he wants to sign for?

There has been absolutely no suggestion he has asked to leave this season, his demeanor and performances don't suggest an unhappy player.

We won't be accepting bids for the figures being talked about.We will let his contract run and see what happens in the summer

Edited by islander200
  • Like 1

You sell no first team players under any circumstances in this window, we don't need the money, we need promotion and we'll never have a better opportunity than this in my opinion.

If I was Mowbray I'd put in a bid for a Bournemouth player, unsettle that lot, like Kenny did with Cantona.

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, SIMON GARNERS 194 said:

NONE of our Players should be for sale when the Club is in the excellent position it's in.

The 'hasn't met our valuation' tripe does grate with many fans

Exactly. A firm statement from our owners that no bids will be accepted for any of our prized players from any Championship club would suffice.

56 minutes ago, islander200 said:

He isn't going anywhere.Quite clear from Mowbrays interview that he was actually out with a back problem.

£2 million quid is nothing to the owners.Been absolutely no suggestion Rothwell has asked to leave this season?Why would he?

He is playing for the team in 2nd and in less than 6 months is free to negotiate a contract with whoever he wants

There was an interview on the Rovers website the other day, where Mowbray was talking about outgoings and he said a player might want to leave the club (I can't remember the exact quote). All the video clips were of Rothwell, possibly just out of coincidence as his contract is running out but you never know.

The club should really be looking at the offer Rothwell will have been presented by Bournemouth and use it as justification to break the rules we've imposed around our wage structure. I'm not meaning match it, but he does deserve to be one of our top earners. Bournemouth showing interest has turned potential earnings elsewhere from hypothetical into reality. Surely from a financial perspective that's a good business case to break only increasing players wages by certain percentages and show them that they are deemed a top player within our squad.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, ben_the_beast said:

The club should really be looking at the offer Rothwell will have been presented by Bournemouth and use it as justification to break the rules we've imposed around our wage structure. I'm not meaning match it, but he does deserve to be one of our top earners. Bournemouth showing interest has turned potential earnings elsewhere from hypothetical into reality. Surely from a financial perspective that's a good business case to break only increasing players wages by certain percentages and show them that they are deemed a top player within our squad.

Be certainly a statement of intent, to get that new contract more attractive and signed.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ben_the_beast said:

How can Rovers know what offer Bournemouth have made to Rothwell?

If they knew that surely the first thing they should be doing is putting a complaint in to the EFL for illegally approaching our players?

He can't sign a pre contract with Bournemouth.Are Bournemouth going to give him a guarantee that no matter what(even if he has a long term injury) they will sign him in the summer?Is Rothwell going to give Bournemouth a guarantee that no matter what he will sign for them in the summer(even if a higher placed team comes in with a larger offer)

Nothing can be signed that is legally binding at this point.

2 hours ago, 1864roverite said:

I actually think its a genuine effort to sign him Rev. On the face of it Rovers are in a conundrum here. Sell him to a rival for say £2.5 million and run the risk of him firing them back above us or getting a fee that more than covers the outlay on the player over the course of his contract?

I agree entirely that promotion is the goal and the money that would come in is phenomenal and has to be a factor but the reality is this, if he stays does he then kick off and not do his best? does he sulk? which in turn doesnt help the team. 

It's not a conundrum at all unless he's explicitly told the team he wants to leave and will sulk for the rest of the season.

If you sell him you HAVE to replace him like-for-like. Our new formation only works if you have a midfielder than can carry the ball from CM, otherwise you're never able to control the game and consistently create chances. It would be the same if we lost Travis - you need a CM that can cover ground and win the ball back in this formation.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, CrouchingNunhiddenCucumber said:

Love this, so glad to be wrong (with a caveat that one could start at Luton 👀

Well you’ve got the ammunition to fire back now!

3 minutes ago, Exiled_Rover said:

It's not a conundrum at all unless he's explicitly told the team he wants to leave and will sulk for the rest of the season.

If you sell him you HAVE to replace him like-for-like. Our new formation only works if you have a midfielder than can carry the ball from CM, otherwise you're never able to control the game and consistently create chances. It would be the same if we lost Travis - you need a CM that can cover ground and win the ball back in this formation.

Yes that’s what makes the system work.

Irrespective of what Rovers intentions are, I doubt Rothwell himself will want to leave. There's no incentive for him (or Nyambe, or Lenihan) to leave now. 

If they leave now : miss out on potentially c. £700k promotion bonus, and buying club has to pay a fee so could impact their contract offer. 

If they leave in the summer : have a chance to get a potentially c. £700k promotion bonus, they are on a total free so clubs likely to offer bigger contract. 

I doubt Rothwell or any of the other players will be going, even if we were trying to sell them (which we aren't it seems). 

• Like 3

This Rothwell business is reminiscent of when Rovers sold Fred Pickering to Everton back in March 1964 for a then UK record fee of £80/90k.

It's a bit hazy in my mind but perhaps some of the older ones or the anoraks can help out. 

As far as I can recall, Rovers were either top or 2nd in the First Division (now the PL) with just 8 or 9 matches to go.  Fred was sold and we went on to lose 5 or 6 games on the bounce and picked up just 3 or 4 points (2 points for a win and 1 point for a draw then) and we finished either 6th or 7th.

Many Rovers' supporters never forgave the club.

Hope history doesn't repeat itself.

Edited by Mercer
  • Like 1