BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

January Transfer window 2022

10 minutes ago, TruRover said:

If we were to bring any attacker (that is a realistic target) in this window my first choice would be Dembele. 

High resale value, match fit, knows the championship and would fit our style of play perfectly. Importantly would provide an alternative paced option other than Khadra. 

Couldn't agree more, would be ideal and a possible replacement for BB also 

2 hours ago, Mercer said:

This Rothwell business is reminiscent of when Rovers sold Fred Pickering to Everton back in March 1964 for a then UK record fee of £80/90k.

It's a bit hazy in my mind but perhaps some of the older ones or the anoraks can help out. 

As far as I can recall, Rovers were either top or 2nd in the First Division (now the PL) with just 8 or 9 matches to go.  Fred was sold and we went on to lose 5 or 6 games on the bounce and picked up just 3 or 4 points (2 points for a win and 1 point for a draw then) and we finished either 6th or 7th.

Many Rovers' supporters never forgave the club.

Hope history doesn't repeat itself.

And Fred scored a hat trick on his debut for Everton. Next game up - Rovers at Ewood, Everton won 2-1.

Think at the end of this transfer window, we will know just how serious Venky's are in getting us back to the PL.

I don't think Mowbray has much more , if anything, to play with for permanent deals.

To me, I think the best we can hope for is to hold on to what we've got and add a couple of quality loans.  Sadly, I very much doubt that will be enough to get us up.

30 minutes ago, Gavlar Somerset Rover! said:

Bournemouth's wage bill must be astronomical, and now they're looking to add Moore, Lawrence et al. to it (and Rothwell, they wish). 

Hopefully they don't go up and will be buggered within the next couple of seasons.

Parachute payments are a real mess in a way. Allows 2-3 clubs to just be above everyone else. 

If we can sign Maja on a permanent transfer then that would be a coup for the club.

Games like last night when you look to the bench and need reinforcements, having Dack + Maja coming off the bench might help us win some tight games. 

14 minutes ago, Gavlar Somerset Rover! said:

Bournemouth's wage bill must be astronomical, and now they're looking to add Moore, Lawrence et al. to it (and Rothwell, they wish). 

Hopefully they don't go up and will be buggered within the next couple of seasons.

They're a curious one. Had some major (£92m) losses in their last couple years in the PL, debt up to £128m in their 19-20 accounts, small stadium inherently limits their turnover going forward, and they also didn't seem to do a good job commercially exploiting a decent run in the PL (only £11m of commercial revenue in 19-20, pretty much bottom of the PL). They could be on the path to sub-£15m turnover soon (i.e., even below us!)

Their wage started to bloat in their last few PL years, yet was still only 'mid-table' for the PL. Where its at now will depend on relegation clauses, of course... Their transfer costs also rose a lot the past few years.

However, they made some huge sales last year: £40m for Ake, £18m for Ramsdale, £20m for Wilson, plus various others (transfermarkt estimates net incomings of £84m last year). Despite a few incomings this year, they're likely still at net sales of £20m this year due to Danjuma and Surridge. They've also seen a lot of their old PL squad leave, so I suspect that wage bill has fallen pretty fast.

They also got hefty (~40m) parachute payments this year and last. However, that drops to ~£15m next year (and then is done), so these rumours could reflect a sudden desire to spend now while the parachute is still in place and before they return to being a bit of a 'small' club...

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, CambridgeRover said:

Parachute payments are a real mess in a way. Allows 2-3 clubs to just be above everyone else. 

Only if they get used correctly and not wasted or bled out into undeserving pockets.

• Like 1

Having been to Bournemouth's ground for the first time in December it's pretty understandable that they don't have much commercial income. There's virtually no corporate entertaining space although no doubt there is enough local income.

They are in the reverse position to us as Ewood has lots of space for both regular fans and corporate ones but not enough local demand - small catchment, poor area, lots of local team competition.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TruRover said:

Reports from France that a championship club are in advanced talks over a perm deal for him. If you put 2and2 together it’s looks likely to be us, could be wrong tho 

Birmingham supporting friend of mine says they are in talks with Maja. He's usually pretty clued up 

3 minutes ago, Lucimo said:

Birmingham supporting friend of mine says they are in talks with Maja. He's usually pretty clued up 

That would seemingly have come from nowhere. Apparently they couldn't get the funds together to sign the Aussie midfielder who was on loan there and just went to Boro instead. Suggests the price has come down dramatically if true. 

29 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

They had a big demand when in the PL, large waiting lists for tickets.

However, they never capitalised on it by extending their ground and building up the fanbase when the interest was there.

I suspect that they can't expand the stadium, as it's in the middle of a park. And relocating is probably a challenge finding a suitable site.

1 hour ago, only2garners said:

Simon - you're right that only Rothwell can travel quickly with the ball and score like Rothwell did. And I agree that other midfielders have a range of different qualities and all are very useful

But what Rothwell is best at does not in itself make a top midfielder. Buckley (for it is he) can routinely take defenders out of the game with his passing, can press and steals the ball frequently. 

I have been critical of Rothwell in the past for not working hard enough, particularly when defending and doesn't have a good football brain, frequently opting to beat players and lose the ball in dangerous positions. This season he has improved on all those aspects and is now a valuable member of the team. But Buckley's better and is of an age where he may well get better still.

My opinion Simon - it's the only one I've got.

For what it's worth, I totally agree with you.

If it weren't for where we currently are and for the balance in the team, I'd weigh Rothwell in if the price was right.

Trav and Bucko however are different gravy by comparison and I'd go as far as to say that they are our crown jewels and will only improve further with age and experience.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, joey_big_nose said:

Thought Bournemouth was a tiny place but apparently greater connurbation is about 500k. Not much local sporting competition either.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/South_East_Dorset_conurbation

1 minute ago, only2garners said:

If they had a stadium like Ewood they could generate a huge income from a very prosperous community. What they will still lack though is the club being deep into the community like it is in Blackburn and many other towns across the north.

Their ground holds 11k, and they have plenty of empty seats every week in the championship. Build their ground bigger as much as they want, but in this league they won’t get more than 9.5k home supporters.

18 minutes ago, Tugayisgod said:

I would suggest he has more of a clue than anybody on here

Does he?Id say the he has about as much as a clue as the rest of us.

When was the last time(if ever) he broke a transfer story?

Like today for example, he said he enquired if Maja was the European based player we were hoping to sign.If it is him do you think the club would have said yes Rich?Do you think the club would tell him how much money we have to spend.

The majority of the transfer news when broken comes from elsewhere  and the Let follow it up.

Edited by islander200
  • Like 2