BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

January Transfer window 2022

11 minutes ago, simongarnerisgod said:

after watching hedges and aberdeen tonight  ,i would`nt be going anywhere near him,he`s bloody awful,as are aberdeen,quite rightly he`s been given the hook after an hour

This is not me defending Hedges. I'm on the fence. But there hasn't been many times Hedges has been dragged off after an hour. 

Aberdeen might view that that his head has been turned and want rid. 

• Like 5

2 hours ago, darrenrover said:

Bournemouth, Exeter City, Bristol City, Bristol Rovers, Yeovil & Plymouth Argyle.......a massive south west catchment area and between them all they have achieved what?.......didly squat and it will be forever thus!

Easy tiger! 😉

PS I hope you don't mind that I read that as being delivered in the voice of that Norwegian commentator in '81. "Jethro, The Wurzels, Marcus Trescothick: Your cider boys took a hell of a beating!"

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Lucimo said:

Birmingham supporting friend of mine says they are in talks with Maja. He's usually pretty clued up 

To add to Deeney, Juke AND Hogan? Can’t see that for a second. And they’re skint. 

1 hour ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Yep. Ted McDougal, Phil Boyer.

Ironically when I first started supporting us in the early 70's the game against Bournemouth in the old 3rd division was one of the biggest of the season.

Wasn't John Bond subsequently of City and Dingles fame their manager?

I remember watching that Bournemouth team. They were really good at that level. They had two flying wingers, Harry Redknapp ( yes, that Harry, he could play ) and a lad called Alan Groves who was amazing. He had it all but he could be a bit naughty. Should have played at top level. He later moved to Blackpool after a spell at Oldham. He died very young of a heart attack just after signing for Blackpool, during a bout of horizontal jogging allegedly.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Screenshot_20220125-215422_Twitter.jpg

Can't see any sense whatsoever in this potential signing.

Screams "Lower League journeyman". 27 in July and only 19 career goals at professional level. The sort of signing you'd look to make if you were bedding in for another 4 or 5 years rattling around at 15th or lower in the Championship.

Surely we can do much MUCH better.

Plus we need signings NOW not in summer and why the hell would we want him if we got promoted?

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, jones_rover said:

East to read a lot into this, but you'd have seen similar about Gally after the Hull match and now he's the second coming of Christ!

Gallagher's still crap though despite a 7.5/10 performance the other night. Are we really going to deify centre forwards when they score a goal now?

9 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I remember watching that Bournemouth team. They were really good at that level. They had two flying wingers, Harry Redknapp ( yes, that Harry, he could play ) and a lad called Alan Groves who was amazing. He had it all but he could be a bit naughty. Should have played at top level. He later moved to Blackpool after a spell at Oldham. He died very young of a heart attack just after signing for Blackpool, during a bout of horizontal jogging allegedly.

“In October 1972 he was sold for £40,000 to AFC Bournemouth,[1] for whom he played a year before beginning a long spell with Oldham Athletic in February 1974. According to Harry Redknapp, Groves was not happy with the move, and during a match against Bournemouth after scoring a goal, Groves dribbled the ball to the Bournemouth dugout and kicked the ball at Trevor Hartley, the manager who had sold him.” 

credit: Wikipedia

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Vaguely remember Groves. Didn't he have a big afro perm?

How could I have forgotten 'Arry played for them as well?

10 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Gallagher's still crap though despite a 7.5/10 performance the other night. Are we really going to deify centre forwards when they score a goal now?

I'm saying the opposite...

He shouldn't have been so villified previous to yesterday.

And was just a way to emphasise that heated comments online after a single bad game shouldn't be used to reflect on Hedges' ability in general.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Uddersfelt Blue said:

Didn’t Groves score 5 when Shrewsbury beat Rovers 7-1 in 1971? 

No, I think that might have been Alf Wood. According to the records he scored 4 headers and a pen ! He died from dementia a few years ago.

That was the low point in my life as a Rovers fan.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, bringdunnback said:

This is not me defending Hedges. I'm on the fence. But there hasn't been many times Hedges has been dragged off after an hour. 

Aberdeen might view that that his head has been turned and want rid. 

Correct - he’s been brilliant for them! Their most creative player. Very suspicious that they’ve replaced him after an hour when they needed a goal!

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Paul Mani said:

Correct - he’s been brilliant for them! Their most creative player. Very suspicious that they’ve replaced him after an hour when they needed a goal!

Has he? I was reading a forum and they seemed split on him and not particularly bothered about him leaving. Have you seen lots of him?

You say suspicious but if they was protecting him prior to a move, they wouldn't have played him. As seen many times.

1 hour ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Can't see any sense whatsoever in this potential signing.

Screams "Lower League journeyman". 27 in July and only 19 career goals at professional level. The sort of signing you'd look to make if you were bedding in for another 4 or 5 years rattling around at 15th or lower in the Championship.

Surely we can do much MUCH better.

Plus we need signings NOW not in summer and why the hell would we want him if we got promoted?

It seems money is at a premium. I dont see how he really fits into our formation but surely if it is all agreed for the summer, then Mowbray would prefer to have him now for the sake of a couple of hundred grand. Would agree that a pre agreed summer move is illogical, as an extra option now on the cheap it would make more sense even if it was mainly as a sub ahead of the likes of Butterworth.

Edited by roversfan99

18 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Has he? I was reading a forum and they seemed split on him and not particularly bothered about him leaving. Have you seen lots of him?

You say suspicious but if they was protecting him prior to a move, they wouldn't have played him. As seen many times.

It seems money is at a premium. I dont see how he really fits into our formation but surely if it is all agreed for the summer, then Mowbray would prefer to have him now for the sake of a couple of hundred grand. Would agree that a pre agreed summer move is illogical, as an extra option now on the cheap it would make more sense even if it was mainly as a sub ahead of the likes of Butterworth.

I’ve watched him play three times since the rumours started and quite liked him on each occasion. He’s direct, powerful and drifts off the right side into goal scoring positions. He’ll suit our current system perfectly…

But my assumption on him is based more on the furore that him leaving has caused. Aberdeen have seemingly rolled out the red carpet in an attempt to get him to sign a new deal. The manager has spoken specifically of Hedges and the “unbelievable” deal he’s been offered there. That type of stuff is saved for your best players / player.

As for the fans, I think a lot of their anger is based on them losing tonight as well as anger  at the player for refusing to sign.

Id 100% get him in this window to help us get over the line. Fwiw I think he’ll end up more of a squad player behind the likes of BBD, Gally, Khadra and Markanday - but if they can get him in and fired up he’ll be a good option - imo

• Like 5