BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

January Transfer window 2022

We need to give a huge wage rise to Diaz, but put a release clause in. The number crunchers need to work out what. If he has the 12month option as is suggested and he knows we'll be exercising it, he may be happy to sign with the increase as long as he knows he'll be allowed to leave if a satisfactory bid comes in. That's the most important business we can do right now 

Edited by Lucimo
  • Like 9

8 hours ago, RoversClitheroe said:

Did you watch JRC against Reading last season? He got absolutely destroyed lol.

He can't defend at all, aren't the back 4-5 meant to be competent at defending?

That's one game but you miss out his positive plays in certain games. But JRC isn't a right back by trade. He is a winger by trade so lets not forget this. 

Would I want JRC at right back? no but as a wing back he can play that's position imo.

a wing back needs to do both sides of the game well

Nyambe's attacking play haven't improve really. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

That's one game but you miss out his positive plays in certain games. But JRC isn't a right back by trade. He is a winger by trade so lets not forget this. 

Would I want JRC at right back? no but as a wing back he can play that's position imo.

a wing back needs to do both sides of the game well

Nyambe's attacking play haven't improve really. 

If you think that JRC is better than nyambe then you've lost the plot. 

He saw his arse against liverpools 16 gear olds the other week...the lad isn't the right shape to play professional football.  His best position would be as a central midfielder drifting forward in the national league or Northern Premier......he's not cut out for the cut and thrust of wing back or full back positions in the professional game

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Gav said:

A long time ago I know, but Kenny brought Gordon Cowans in to help us reach the promised land, along with one or two others granted. By Cowans experience in the middle of the park made such a difference and despite his legs having gone, he could pass a ball with sublime accuracy. 

If those idiots in Pune are going to give him a few quid in January, an old head, like the Downing of a few years ago for example, could make all the difference. 

Big wages, free transfer, marquee signing, but who?

I'd be very careful........remember a certain Danny Murphy?

• Like 1

Think Tugay, think Cowans, think the type of player whose experience, vision and ability to hold the ball under pressure and pick out a killer pass more than compensates for their lack of speed over the ground....

If Buckley wasn't so powder puff easy to shake off the ball, he'd be a very sought after player. But at the moment, he is too easy to dispossess and the opposition know that and target him.

An old head would be a great addition to this team of young bloods. Good shout Gav.

19 hours ago, Gav said:

A long time ago I know, but Kenny brought Gordon Cowans in to help us reach the promised land, along with one or two others granted. By Cowans experience in the middle of the park made such a difference and despite his legs having gone, he could pass a ball with sublime accuracy. 

If those idiots in Pune are going to give him a few quid in January, an old head, like the Downing of a few years ago for example, could make all the difference. 

Big wages, free transfer, marquee signing, but who?

Tricky one Gav.  I was thinking the same thing. Do you stick with what we have (which is currently working well) or if we are still top 6 come January, bring in a marquee signing for impetus.

I think we definitely need another winger in.

Personally think that a  'marquee' signing needs to be an experienced striker.

Kaminiski, Ayala, Bradley Johnson (and hopefully Dack) add experience in other areas. 

BBD can't score every game.  Gallagher isn't prolific and often injured. Dolan/Butterworth are promising but inexperienced.

No idea who but the equivalent of a 'Danny Graham' type player would be just the ticket.  A wily old  bugger who brings something the others don't...

Surely, this would be the time to utilise our apparent relationship with the big NW clubs to get a stand out loan deal in?

• Like 2

All we need are a RB and if possible another CB. There is little point giving TM more as he may well not be here next season and funds could be better saved for the next manager. Jan is a crap time to buy so I'd be OK with a couple of loans to cover those roles.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Is that guy supposed to be a journalist ? What does it mean exactly ? Does Mowbray want out or does he want to send a message to the chicken chokers to get the cheque book out ?

Could even mean BB wants out. But ultimately he doesn't have a clue, he is just over-interpreting. The most likely explanation is just that the manager meant literally what he said. That he wants to strengthen and doesn't want to lose Diaz to fund it. But that wouldn't make good clickbait journalism.

I think that's just Mowbray sending a message to Pune. Spend some money in January and I don't mean on the back of selling our main man. Not worded the best by Nixon though.

I get the feeling that Mowbray is starting to believe. It was good to see him fired up yesterday. Things have certainly become exciting all of a sudden. Long way to go of course, but something seems to have clicked for us.

If we are in a similar position in January the owners have to go for it. This is the first genuine opportunity we have to go up since we have been down here.

• Like 2

He's been saying similar stuff every window i think that's just Nixon doing his bit for the 'new contract' cause.

There was a piece in another paper the other morning beating the drum i think old Tone and his advisers are getting tetchy now. 

Personally i'd say you've had years you've spent money and used up budgets, you've got mates in and others you've wanted, you've talked top 6 you've talked journeys. You now clearly have a fiesty young team so finish top 8 or above with a view to pushing on again next season and there'll be an offer.

If not thanks for the service but we need to explore other avenues.

If it's getting the best out of him and he's getting the best out of the team then carry on as we are until the picture is a bit clearer. I fully expect some journo will be fictitiously  linking him with another club somewhere soon.

Last time Rovers were near the top of the Championship and seriously dreaming of promotion was, I believe, under Souness, nearly twenty years ago. It was a very different situation, as our stars were young players with longer futures at the club, in Dunn, Duff and Jansen - and we were very big and regular transfer spenders in the league. I recall that major midway season loan signings Eyal Berkovic and Alan Mahon both added quality to help Rovers get over the line and finish second, behind Jean Tigana's Fulham.

It's a stark contrast to the unstable first team squad or "shop window eleven" that we have now. That's not to question anyone's motives to Rovers but the reality is that a core of the team will likely not remain beyond this season. A few, we can hope might sign new deals. The manager's future is also uncertain.

We're nowhere near the financial situation we were in in 2000/01 and can't just buy up the top scorer of another club, as we were hoovering up in those days - signing Craig Hignett from Barnsley and Marcus Bent from Sheffield Utd - but, I think an experienced and technically gifted signing would be worth the risk of trying to cement a play off spot - if we're in the mix by the end of the Xmas period. Personally, I think the best bet of finding someone affordable like that would be abroad - but I don't know how easy it is to sign overseas players now.

I would suggest an experienced DM and a back up RB are key positions, as has been discussed. Travis will possibly breakdown at some point, due to his style and the number of games, and then we're struggling. I happen to think that Clarkson might surprise us and play a role before he heads back to Liverpool, but it won't be in the DM role. I would hope he will because from the looks of it, he either has a contractual obligation or a managerial obligation to be a sub every match.

Edited by riverholmes

13 minutes ago, Ulrich said:

Weren't we 2nd with Kean? Just saying before I get attacked lol.

We were - not sure how many games in that was though. I always bear that run in mind when it comes to playing teams who have just come down early in the season. You can give them far too much respect, but at the same time they'll sometimes have the quality to take their chances tight games. Rhodes, N. Gomes and Pedersen in particular repeatedly came to our rescue in those opening weeks in games we didn't really deserve much from. Hull, Leicester and Leeds away spring to mind as games where we got out of jail, but there are probably others.

Suffice to say the rest of the league quickly cottoned on that there was nothing to fear from us under Kean and we quickly dropped towards the relegation spots.

• Like 1