BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

January Transfer window 2022

If I were the player, I wouldn’t want to leave; we’re in a great position at the moment and it’s an exciting time. There seems to be a great team spirit. I could leave and then end on Brentford’s bench all season, whilst watching my old team mates win the promotion battle. I’d definitely wait, it isn’t always about money. 

Maybe he thinks the wheels will come off and we’ll end up mid table? Players leaving adds to that possibility. 

Anyway, we’ve got a match to win soon and as much as Joe has been one of my favourite players, if he doesn’t want to be here then  fuck off him off. Sell him to Brentford or reject any bid from Bournemouth and then let him finish up his contract in the reserves. We don’t need any passengers who aren’t in this 100%

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Wimbledon Rover said:

These are the commercial realities of Joe Rothwell’s situation.

1)      Joe’s transfer value if he was on a 4 year contract would be around £7-10m, on the current remaining 6 months he’s probably worth around £4m at best.

2)      Joe is solely responsible for his position, we like to blame agents – but the reality is that it’s Joe’s decision whether he wants to sign or leave, that decision is up to him. He is not a victim.

3)      Joe is not injured, neither was he last week. The club take the ‘injury explanation’ route simply to placate the fans and allow the player a way back to play for the club should he not move on. A true explanation “that Joe doesn’t want to play because he wants to sign a lucrative new contract with another club” wouldn’t particularly go down well, the injury explanation suits both parties for this period.

4)      So what’s the tension? Well, the reality is Joe is on the verge of becoming a multi-millionaire with a new contract, and he is trying to squeeze every pip to maximize his commercial position. Run down his contract, and effectively that £4-£6 transfer fee gets converted into a signing on fee, or over inflated salary (not dissimilar to Aaron Ramsey and many other footballers)

5)      The stakes are high though, because if he stays and sees out his contract, and then gets injured – that millionaire dream could quite easily slip away. So the reality is he doesn’t want to play – given that lack of security. Of course, he could sign with Rovers for security and then move on, but it’s because he’s choosing to 100% maximize his transfer value, that this standoff situation develops with club – some would argue that’s he’s being greedy.

6)      But this is not good for the club either, because their leverage is close to zero, if the player claims injury and refuses to play then there is very little they can do.

7)      Conclusion, sadly for us fans, I suspect the club will have little choice, but to sell Joe Rothwell in January. Hopefully as the club matures and grows (and lets aspire to being a Brentford) – the club will learn much from this period.

Apologies for the depressing read, but these are the commercials realities – for record I hope Joe stays, and I am wrong!

No the reality is we are paying his wages there is no excuse to refuse to play ( if indeed he has) if we go down the route you are describing then players should be paid based on appearance not weekly.

57 minutes ago, 1864roverite said:

Maybe just

maybe the game today is far more important to the club than Rothwell non injury/transfer news/rabid speculation

Well considering there wasn’t a single post in this thread between 3 and 5pm (apart from yours, funny enough!), then obviously that’s how the posters see it…

Edited by Mattyblue

Jack Wilshire on a pay as you play contract with options for next year.  Premier league potential of Rovers should be inducement enough to bring him North. Just the kind of experience the team needs at the moment. 

Edited by mick
  • Like 1

Just now, mick said:

Jack Wiltshire on a pay as you play contract with options for next year.  Premier league potential of Rovers should be inducement enough to bring him North. Just the kind of experience the team needs at the moment. 

Last time he played football? Another sick note, precisely what we don’t need I’m afraid.

Diaz price will have consolidated after a goal against Argentina. 

Big decision. Sell him to West Ham and have two or three new players who take time to settle in. I believed he would come good, just not that good. Confidence and belief is everything for a striker. 

Rothwell to Bournemouth could make us money and cost us dearly. If he doesn’t go he could chuck his toys out. I don’t think he wants to stay even with extra money. 

Big decisions Monday but as Mark Cuban says “No balls, no babies “🤔

2 minutes ago, bigbrandjohn said:

Diaz price will have consolidated after a goal against Argentina. 

Big decision. Sell him to West Ham and have two or three new players who take time to settle in. I believed he would come good, just not that good. Confidence and belief is everything for a striker. 

Rothwell to Bournemouth could make us money and cost us dearly. If he doesn’t go he could chuck his toys out. I don’t think he wants to stay even with extra money. 

Big decisions Monday but as Mark Cuban says “No balls, no babies “🤔

Too late to sell him now and not make a massive dent in the side. I can't see us getting a solid replacement for him at this late stage. And they'll all be asking stupid money if we suddenly get £30m in the bank and know we're desperate for a replacement with the clock ticking down.